Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,614 members, 7,770,632 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 12:17 PM

Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs (56643 Views)

8 Things To Avoid At An Interview / 9 Things You Should Avoid During Job Interviews. / Technical & Brain Teaser Questions Asked During Job Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 4:04pm On Aug 05, 2014
It is an indisputable fact that "job interview" is a very imperative stage in the recruitment procedures of every organization without which any job seeker can barely get a job in any coy.

The importance of job interview in a firm cannot be overlooked as it enables Human Resource Officers to ascertain the candidates that are most suitable for a job opening and what have you?

Considering the rate of unemployment in Nigeria plus the huge competition among job seekers for the few available jobs, it is pertinent for a job seeker to
prove beyond all doubts to the human resource officer that he or she is d best candidate for the job.

Hence, we may rightly conclude that too many avoidable mistakes by a candidate in a job interview could disqualify the candidate from getting his or her dream job. It's in light of the above dat I opened this thread.

The purpose of the thread is for members of the forum to share with us avoidable mistakes dat dey av made in job interviews in the past so other job seekers can learn from ur experiences and in turn, avoid such mistakes in subsequent job interviews.

I tot I should start with mine....

The first time I went for a job interview, I didn't take a copy of my cv with me as I assumed dat HR already had my CV on their email box. Got to the HR's office, she was like where is ur CV? D rest is super story.

Another avoidable mistake dat I've made in d past as regards the subject matter is going for a job interview without carrying out research about the coy.I guess u don't need a prophet to reveal to u what happened when the HR officer asked me to tell her about the coy.

Please, drop urs

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Egonec(m): 5:22pm On Aug 05, 2014
@My Broda VIC, i greet u. I wud advise every job seeker to avoid the use of informal words/expressions in a job interview. I was b4 an interviewer last week and i kept makin d mistak of using the word "yea" instead of "yes". I hav becom so used to d word "yea". We shud try and work on this aspect, it's very importnt.

97 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by KillerBeauty(f): 6:35pm On Aug 05, 2014
Egonec: @My Broda VIC, i greet u. I wud advise every job seeker to avoid the use of informal words/expressions in a job interview. I was b4 an interviewer last week and i kept makin d mistak of using the word "yea" instead of "yes". I hav becom so used to d word "yea". We shud try and work on this aspect, it's very importnt.

Thumbs up to my project supervisor for helping me curb my use of the word 'yea' or 'ya' when talking to her. But since I finished sch 2yrs back I found out that av started using those words again. Am trying very hard to stop it 4 good.

As 4 job interview my advice try as much as possible to organise ur thoughts in ur head well. Think about likely questions and the best way to answer them. I remember attending an interview and I was asked the question 'tell me abt urself?' I wasn't prepared for it and I was jst blabbing. Also I was asked what do u hate? And all I did was to stare at d man like mumu.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 6:47pm On Aug 05, 2014
Egonec: @My Broda VIC, i greet u. I wud advise every job seeker to avoid the use of informal words/expressions in a job interview. I was b4 an interviewer last week and i kept makin d mistak of using the word "yea" instead of "yes". I hav becom so used to d word "yea". We shud try and work on this aspect, it's very importnt.
@ egonec greetings to u too...funnily, I had never for once seen anything wrong with using the word "yeah" in a formal context.
Eye opener

Modified
Thumbs up to everyone who has contributed thus far on this thread...We finally made front page.Thanks for sharing ur wealth of experiences with us.From ur profound contributions we have been able to make an exceptional preparatory material for job applicants.
BTW, I dedicate this thread to a fellow nairalander @ joyglitters through whom I just got a job. No word is good enough to express how grateful I am.
God bless y'all.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 6:53pm On Aug 05, 2014
KillerBeauty:

Thumbs up to my project supervisor for helping me curb my use of the word 'yea' or 'ya' when talking to her. But since I finished sch 2yrs back I found out that av started using those words again. Am trying very hard to stop it 4 good.

As 4 job interview my advice try as much as possible to organise ur thoughts in ur head well. Think about likely questions and the best way to answer them. I remember attending an interview and I was asked the question 'tell me abt urself?' I wasn't prepared for it and I was jst blabbing. Also I was asked what do u hate? And all I did was to stare at d man like mumu.
well said...it's very necessary we get acquainted with frequently asked questions in job interviews and premeditate on how best they should be tackled wen encountered in interviews

3 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 05, 2014
Another thing to avoid is using errrmmm, hmmm, too much in your sentence, tis nt good at all in an interview, makes the HR personnel feels u re nt bold.. I did that severally n not good at all

16 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Tjesctacy(m): 8:24pm On Aug 05, 2014
Mine is fear, am always scared τ̲̅ȍ d point of shivering @ times..

32 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Egonec(m): 8:25pm On Aug 05, 2014
victorVIC1:
@ egonec greetings to u too...funnily, I had never for once seen anything wrong with using the word "yeah" in a formal context.
Eye opener
yes oo....eye opener
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by davidobama(m): 8:35pm On Aug 05, 2014
Never tell an interviewer you want to acquire experience at the organization. If you want experience then you should not be paid

48 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 8:37pm On Aug 05, 2014
polymathic: Another thing to avoid is using errrmmm, hmmm, too much in your sentence, tis nt good at all in an interview, makes the HR personnel feels u re nt bold.. I did that severally n not good at all
Seriously, I'm also guilty of ds one.these are communication flaws we tend to overlook dat are not suitable for work place environments

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Jakeattah(m): 8:39pm On Aug 05, 2014
Never go for a post your not qualified for or is not your field without proper research.....

The last one eh, the interviewer made me look lyk a primary pupil, upon say I hammer degree o

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 8:41pm On Aug 05, 2014
Tjesctacy: Mine is fear, am always scared τ̲̅ȍ d point of shivering @ times..
hmmm...plz, any1 wit suggestions on how to overcome fear?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by quincie(m): 9:45pm On Aug 05, 2014
victorVIC1:
hmmm...plz, any1 wit suggestions on how to overcome fear?

Same here ooooo
Bt i think little alomo wil make u bold as lion..... Lol

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 05, 2014
Oh well, I'm only guilty of speaking too fast. Sometimes its like I'm rapping. Lol!

sadsadsad

35 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by sopoundz(m): 10:52pm On Aug 05, 2014
Nice thread. Kudos to all posters above make I de learn

9 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by elbyno: 11:11pm On Aug 05, 2014
quincie:

Same here ooooo
. I also had that nervousness in d last interview I did.And I have made up my mind that d next one,imma have to take some alcohol since it gives me some hyper confidence

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by KillerBeauty(f): 11:21pm On Aug 05, 2014
quincie:

Same here ooooo

Alomo has now become the cure for everything now. I just hope it can cure Ebola grin

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by simiolu1(m): 11:34pm On Aug 05, 2014
Hmmm... I'll be back to comment *continues trolling NL for front page worthy topics*
I must make fp by fire by force!
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by abdulslutsky(m): 1:07am On Aug 06, 2014
Talking too much
I always have the urge of putting in a right way what I might have said correctly initially. Thus, confusing myself and the interviewer.

Very bad

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by armadeo(m): 1:19am On Aug 06, 2014
elbyno: . I also had that nervousness in d last interview I did.And I have made up my mind that d next one,imma have to take some alcohol since it gives me some hyper confidence

The hr peeps would then perceive alcohol on your breathe at 10 a.m .

You'll come back to this thread and add never drink to an interview as part of the do nots.

83 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by hardeyswaggz: 1:38am On Aug 06, 2014
THIS WAS MY STORY LAST WEEK;

INTERVIEWER : Do you know anything about colours?

ME : (wondering his point exactly and scared of a yes or no) Nodded.

INTERVIEWER : Have u ever bn to an interview?

ME : (still wondering) Yes, About four....

INTERVIEWER : Do u knw why u av never bn picked?

ME : (...

INTERVIEWER : Tell me why you used a red Tye?

ME : (looked at the tye maybe it cld give me an ansa) Cuz i wanted to be distinct

INTERVIEWER : So if you have come in here and saw any of us use a red tye what would u have done?

ME : (Looked at their necks maybe an ansa cld come) i knw none of my interviewers av ever used a red a tye and i knw today cannot be an exception.

INTERVIEWER : Do u knw a red colour is offensive

ME : (Shocked)

INTERVIEWER : thats why u av never bn picked in any of your four interviews

ME : (Tryna change it) I have bn picked in two of the interviews but i turned them down

INTERVIEWER : WHY
MY HAND DON DEY PAIN ME JARE I WAN SLEEP....WATCHOUT FOR PART TWO.

115 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by dukum: 3:53am On Aug 06, 2014
Mine was at fmctech at onne in jan..
Interviewer:do you know what we do?
Me:i stated them all of cos i jack the tin bt i wasnt ready for the next question.
Interiewer:do u knw what we do here? undecided
Interviewer:do you know hw to use a pc i say yes then e b lyk have u wrkd wit excel b4 i say yes next tin what formula did u use undecided
Interviewer:if u re given three products to produce with a deadline,how wld u go about it..of cos i rush talk.

I knew all the answers even that of excel formulars bt pressure,fear and overconfidence jumped in as i felt like i aced all other ques.

My advice be calm,do not be in a haste to reply neither shld u take too long to reply,most of all prepare for the unexpected cos even wetin u knw u go forget.
In all God favor dey these things.i stil dey wait fmc cry

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by emydiddy(m): 4:29am On Aug 06, 2014
When answering questions, Try to KISS (keep it short and simple). Avoid unnecessarily long answers dat would eventually make u to blab or go off track. And always tailor ur answers towards selling urself to the employer.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by vycee01: 7:14am On Aug 06, 2014
Also always study ur resume, a newspaper coy once called me and asked my duties as a publicist in a magazine coy, I told him what I did but unfortunately he wanted to know in details the duties of a publicist.

Again never state an amount for the coy to pay you rather state a reasonable amount you were paid before (even if not exactly) and say you're open to negotiation.

Hope this could help, my little experience though.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 7:19am On Aug 06, 2014
picked up some strategies for overcoming interview fear from a website and I hope it helps...
1. Knowing is half the battle – Understanding the interview process is
critical. Many times candidates will receive emails explaining the
interview process. If you do not receive one, just ask. It never hurts
to ask. Along with knowing the step by step process, find out the
interview methodology they use. If it happens to be behavioral, click
here to read my tips on how to survive a behavioral interview.
2. Memorize your resume - Read your resume until you can recite it
without looking down. Being able to hold eye contact with your
interviewer is important. Burning the contents of your resume into
your brain will allow you to keep your head up the entire interview.
Don’t forget to smile.
3. Remember, you’re interviewing the company as well – Whenever I’ve
interviewed a nervous candidate, I always make sure to say,
“Remember, you are interviewing us too, you need to make sure we
are good enough for you!” Come fully prepared with interview
questions to ask your interviewer.
4. What’s the worst that can happen? - Really, what’s the absolute worst
thing that could happen? I’m sure those with a creative mind can
think of some interview horror stories, but most likely the worst thing
that can happen will be that you won’t get the job. So what? You
move on to the next opportunity.
5. Arrive early – You should get to the interview location up to an hour
before your appointment. Sit in your car and read through your
resume again. Wait till you have around 15 minutes until
the interview starts, then walk on in. Being punctual is a positive,
and your interviewer will remember it. Recruiters and hiring managers
have heard every excuse for being late. From family emergencies to
very ill pets, we’ve heard them all. We we know that maybe half of
them are being truthful, it really never helps your cause to lay an
excuse on us.
6. Smile – Smiling can be your best friend. It’s one thing to be fearful of
an interview, but its another thing to show your interviewer that you
are scared. Smiling will at least help to eliminate a fearful look on
your face. Smile and make eye contact, it brings you some much
needed interview swagger.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 7:22am On Aug 06, 2014
vycee01: Also always study ur resume, a newspaper coy once called me and asked my duties as a publicist in a magazine coy, I told him what I did but unfortunately he wanted to know in details the duties of a publicist.

Again never state an amount for the coy to pay you rather state a reasonable amount you were paid before (even if not exactly) and say you're open to negotiation.

Hope this could help, my little experience though.
wot about those who have not been under a paid employment before and the HR personnel insists your state ur least acceptable pay expectation?

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by deen2us(m): 7:31am On Aug 06, 2014
hardeyswaggz: THIS WAS MY STORY LAST WEEK;

INTERVIEWER : Do you know anything about colours?

ME : (wondering his point exactly and scared of a yes or no) Nodded.

INTERVIEWER : Have u ever bn to an interview?

ME : (still wondering) Yes, About four....

INTERVIEWER : Do u knw why u av never bn picked?

ME : (...

INTERVIEWER : Tell me why you used a red Tye?

ME : (looked at the tye maybe it cld give me an ansa) Cuz i wanted to be distinct

INTERVIEWER : So if you have come in here and saw any of us use a red tye what would u have done?

ME : (Looked at their necks maybe an ansa cld come) i knw none of my interviewers av ever used a red a tye and i knw today cannot be an exception.

INTERVIEWER : Do u knw a red colour is offensive

ME : (Shocked)

INTERVIEWER : thats why u av never bn picked in any of your four interviews

ME : (Tryna change it) I have bn picked in two of the interviews but i turned them down

INTERVIEWER : WHY
MY HAND DON DEY PAIN ME JARE I WAN SLEEP....WATCHOUT FOR PART TWO.
laugh won kill me oooo. Eyes opener

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 8:12am On Aug 06, 2014
ur contributions thus far have been profoundly helpful... More contributions please?
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by victorVIC1(m): 8:13am On Aug 06, 2014
Mod, pls do d needful
Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by QtKatie(f): 8:38am On Aug 06, 2014
Its important to be able to answer some frequently asked interview questions. An interviewer asked me to state my greatest weakness and I was just staring at him, thinking of what to say. From that point, I knew I had lost an opportunity.

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 06, 2014
All of you prescribing alomo for confidence ...
when alomo back fires eh!

Learn to build your confidence level as early as possible.
Ask questions at occassions and events, always try to contribute during meetings or gatherings. Take up teaching during NYSc, it builds ur ability to face a crowd.
Don't shy away from presentation during ur school days, be the group leader, do the presentation, don't just be an onlooker.

With time you wont shake again even if its the president u are facing.

39 Likes

Re: Mistakes Dat I've Made In Job Interviews That You Should Avoid At All Costs by liliangmail(f): 8:54am On Aug 06, 2014
Very Interesting! *yea* av become part of me! . Another is *tongu lickin my lips b4 ansin any interview question cry

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How I Interviewed My Secondary School Teacher For A Job Of 48k. / 22 Years: The Age Requirement For A Job I Stumbled Upon Online Today (pic) / Federal Polytechnic, Ile-Oluji, Ondo Recruitment 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.