Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

Computer Science Msc With 3rd Class In A Social Science - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Computer Science Msc With 3rd Class In A Social Science (1788 Views)

For those with 3rd class degree take these steps!!!! / I Did Not Make 3rd Class Degree(Soyinka) I Made 2:1 / How Can I Do A Master's With A 3rd Class ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Computer Science Msc With 3rd Class In A Social Science by kambo(m): 7:17pm On Jun 01, 2006
I narrowly missed crashing out of school with a pass!

School was crappy to say the least. and very de-motivating, for the 1st time in my academic life i experienced students buying grades of the 'black market', lecturers with closed minds who fail you unless you do things their own set and rigid way. Some of my scores got missing when i was supposed to graduate(2004) the department couldnt account for it as a result I lost 2 full years remedying the mess. I had already lost one to global ASUU strike and worse of all, i gat stuck with a 3rd Class.

However now i want to pursue a career in IT(computer sc. MSc)
I majored in the social sciences, skill in IT is limited and fledging (interest include : java, javascript, planning on expanding through self study- status: novice, passion - high.

I hope to one day contribute programmatically to open source projects mainly apache, of which i've been a major beneficiary, however for this I feel strongly that a sound academic footing is essential hence my desire to pursue a degree in computer science.

Q: How do I get an MSc, despite poor 1st 'outing'? Suggestions welcome. I just want quality education. However I fear my poor first outing will hinder. How do i get out of the rut, without the tedious recourse of starting all over again (another B.Sc)
Re: Computer Science Msc With 3rd Class In A Social Science by my2cents(m): 8:48pm On Jun 01, 2006
Kambo,

In my opinion, I don't think you need a degree in computer science to get into IT per se.

If you have the necessary resources (hardware, books, etc), nothing stops you from picking it up on your own. Though I am not in Nigeria currently, I think what I am about to say could apply anywhere - I am presently working with an excellent programmer who has a degree in history. Very far from a science degree, if you ask me. Also, there are tonnes of certification programs out there you could sign up for.

So, don't let your current degree hinder you. A degree to me anyway is only a demonstration that you have the ability to learn. There are pple I know and have heard of who graduated with highest honors yet couldn't even write a single line of code in the real world. Y? could be cos they crammed the stuff, could be cos they aren't cut out for the working environment but rather an educational institution where they can do their research.

If as you said, you got what you did cos you weren't willing to "go with the flow" and you know within yourself that you have the brains to learn the stuff, go for it!!

Good luck in advance!!
Re: Computer Science Msc With 3rd Class In A Social Science by Nosu(m): 10:20am On Jun 04, 2006
hello kambo
l support what my2cent has said, that is just the truth. if possible u can go for the msc computer science but that is not the ultimate. let me give u some example of people l know. l meet a guy recently he studied building from unilag, but he is now a software developer using Oracle big time, the other guy studied chemstry from uniben and he is now a guru in Web design while the other guy is reading economics but a very good network engineer.
So, it is all about focus and determination. l will suggest u get a system and materials, also get to guys already on the field and also start preparing for certification. the utimate is practising and being good at it and doors of opportunity will open to u.

Best of God
Re: Computer Science Msc With 3rd Class In A Social Science by Seun(m): 10:28am On Jun 04, 2006
Instead of spending more time in the artificial environment of the university, why not spend more time in the real world learning what you really need in order to be relevant in the industry? If you're the kind that looks for a job, just get certified in the languages of choice. If you're willing to create your own job, just get Internet access and start downloading, reading and practicing relevant materials round the clock. That's what I do, anyway.

I hope to one day contribute programmatically to open source projects mainly apache, of which i've been a major beneficiary,
How do you hope to make money to provide for your family? Shouldn't that come before hobbies?
Re: Computer Science Msc With 3rd Class In A Social Science by kambo(m): 11:30pm On Jun 05, 2006
thanks for ur views guys , u've all spoken with one mind and helped me clarify issues. although IT books abound
i feared i'd be missing out on some 'mysteries' tucked away in some ivory tower about computing that could make the difference between being a proficient developer or one just fumbling along. (eg topics on:
discrete mathematics, translator softwares, artificial intelligence,data structures , numerical analysis,assembler languages etc) ,
i'll toe the self-improvement line(certifications and gaining of intrinsic value) . thankz for your inputs. cool

(1) (Reply)

Ambrose Alli University 2011 Post Ume Date / The Chemist And The Chemistrical (sorry chemical) Engineer. Friends Or Foes? / Tansian University(school Of Economics) Has Relocated To Its Umunya Main Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.