Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,021 members, 7,821,557 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair (1778 Views)

Video: Watch How A Woman Destroyed Her Home Because Of Money / Wife Sets Husband On Fire For Molesting Her 7 Year Old Daughter / Mum Drove Me From Home Because I Lost N6,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by lovejo(m): 3:04pm On Sep 06, 2013
Deborah Brown Community School in Tulsa, OK is one student short for the remainder of the school year.

Terrance Parker said the school hassled him and didn't leave him a choice. Parker said he yanked his 7-year-old daughter, Tiana, out of classes because of a disagreement that left her in tears.

Parker, who's a barber, said school officials at Deborah Brown told him Tiana's hair didn't look presentable.

"She's always presentable. I take pride in my kids looking nice," said Parker.

The charter school has its own set of rules. The school's dress code states, "hairstyles such as dreadlocks, afros, mohawks, and other faddish styles are unacceptable."

"They didn't like my dreads," said Tiana.

The school feels that could distract from the respectful and serious atmosphere it strives for.

"She went to the school last year and didn't have any problems," said Parker.

Parker said her hair looked the same. "It hurt my feelings to the core," said Parker.

"I think that they should let me have my dreads," said Tiana.

Tiana, a straight A student, wears a different school uniform now, but the same hair style, which looks perfectly fine according to her new school.
Is the school too strict or is it their right to ban dreads and afros?

http://www.allproudamericans.com/7-year-old-girl-sent-home-because-of-hair.html
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by glorybasseymma: 4:39pm On Sep 07, 2013
dnt cry little angle tina.ur hair is fine, but d truth is u need to follow d sch rule.soru shocked sad
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by EfemenaXY: 8:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
Different schools, different rules.

It's the parents responsibility to do their homework / research properly before sending their kids to such schools. To do otherwise only results in disagreements and who bears the brunt of it, if not the innocent child?

I remember growing up, some schools had a zero tolerance policy for girls sporting long hair, others didn't. So it really depends on what you, the parent want for your child. Most important thing though, is despite all that, the child should receive a decent education.
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 08, 2013
Whilst I agree with Efe - within reason...

From the report, the girl attended the same school for a year - how come her hair became an issue 12 months later?

3 Likes

Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by EfemenaXY: 8:55am On Sep 09, 2013
Siena: Whilst I agree with Efe - within reason...

From the report, the girl attended the same school for a year - how come her hair became an issue 12 months later?

Lol!

You agree with me within reason, only because you're partial to dreads Siena! cheesy
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 14, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Lol!

You agree with me within reason, only because you're partial to dreads Siena! cheesy

Dang, sis! You've got a memory like an elephant's. grin
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by Kanwulia: 4:12am On Sep 15, 2013
The charter school has its own set of rules. The school's dress code states, [size=20pt]"hairstyles such as dreadlocks, afros, mohawks, and other faddish styles are unacceptable."[/size]

"They didn't like my dreads," said Tiana.

Well, you broke the school rules. NEXT TIME, BUILD YOUR OWN SCHOOL AND KEEP YOUR DREADLOCKS!

Good move by the school! kiss
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by Nobody: 5:38am On Sep 16, 2013
Kanwulia:

Well, you broke the school rules. NEXT TIME, BUILD YOUR OWN SCHOOL AND KEEP YOUR DREADLOCKS!

Good move by the school! kiss

How is an afro a fad hairstyle tho?

Its natural... Just like dreads are natural... Fads and trend styles would be along the lines of mohawks and horrible coloured dye jobs not to mention those stupid designs being drawn in the head and shaving part of the hair.. WTF?!

1 Like

Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by ireneidiva(f): 6:23am On Sep 17, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Its natural... Just like dreads are natural... Fads and trend styles would be along the lines of mohawks and horrible coloured dye jobs not to mention those stupid designs being drawn in the head and shaving part of the hair.. WTF?!
Ask the school. She broke their rules by the way
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by JallowBah(f): 8:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
I was expecting RAGE in this thread. Rage over the fact that a school DOES NOT ALLOW AFROAMERICAN/AFRICAN KIDS TO WEAR THEIR HAIR NATURAL.

Hot the hell is an afro a faddish style? That is how the hair of a black person grows, naturally. Those rules are as to say that "straight blonde hair is not allowed".

Ya`ll want your kids to grow up with that kinda bullshit? Damn.
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by Kanwulia: 8:57pm On Sep 17, 2013
SniperInADiaper:

Apparently, your are an EMOTIONAL-RATIONALIST! kiss
Read the topic AGAIN! Pay particular attention to 'OTHER FADS'
Do you want the school to list A ZILLION OTHER FADS FOR YOU?
That covers it! kiss

I am a stickler for rules ma'am!
That is not NAIRALAND where ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING GOES!

If the school has rules TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO OBEY THEM!!!

Or move to a GHETTO LOUIS-FARAKAN AFRO AND DREADLOCKS SCHOOL!!!

When you build your own school, YOU SET YOUR OWN RULES!!

Or HOME-SCHOOL YOUR KIDS YOURSELF!!! kiss

Simple! cool
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by JallowBah(f): 9:03pm On Sep 17, 2013
Kanwulia:

I am a stickler for rules ma'am!
That is not NAIRALAND where ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING GOES!

If the school has rules TEACH YOUR CHILDREN TO OBEY THEM!!!

Or move to a GHETTO LOUIS-FARAKAN AFRO AND DREADLOCKS SCHOOL!!!

When you build your own school, YOU SET YOUR OWN RULES!!

Or HOME-SCHOOL YOUR KIDS YOURSELF!!! kiss

Simple! cool

"Yesssuh, feel free to ban my kids natural form of growing hair. No problem, suh."
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by Kanwulia: 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
JallowBah:

"Yesssuh, feel free to ban my kids natural form of growing hair. No problem, suh."

I sure will. ONLY BECAUSE THEY ARE YOUR KIDS! kiss
I sure don't want 'em CHOPPING OFF THE HEADS OF BRITSH SOLDIERS ON YOUTUBE EITHER!

A rotten apple NEVER FALLS OFF A ROTTEN TREE WITH ROTTEN ROOTS STILL ATTACHED ABI? grin

Shiooooor!
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by baby124: 9:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
This school should get sued. As long as they dont have a particular hairstyle for the kids, then i dont see what the problem is. When did Afro become a Fad?
Re: 7-year-old Girl Sent Home Because Of Hair by Nobody: 11:03pm On Sep 17, 2013
^^ my point. Afro is natural. Dreads are even.. but mohawks no.. mohawks are faddish. Afros are organic wink

The director isnt even wearing her hair natural.

Stupid rules... but if they were going to enforce them this year they should have last too.

(1) (Reply)

Man Had Accident On His Way To His Traditional Marriage!!god Help Him!!(pics) / Marriage In Nigeria Must We Do All? / 5 Reasons Why It's Important To Put Your Spouse Before Your Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.