Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! (1658 Views)

Continuous Change In NYSC Time-Table: Nigerians React On Twitter / What Are These Pregnant Women Doing In NYSC Camp(pic) / Can Anyone In NYSC Camp Confirm The Payment Of N38,900 Alawee? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 08, 2013
YOU ARE WELCOME ON STAGEsmiley

FIRST of all.....carefully peruse the follow Objectives:

The objectives of the National Youth Service Corps Scheme are clearly spelt out in Decree No.51 of 16th June 1993 as follows

To inculcate discipline in Nigerian youths by instilling in them a tradition of industry at work, and of patriotic and loyal service to Nigeria in any situation they may find themselves.

To raise the moral tone of the Nigerian youths by giving them the opportunity to learn about higher ideals of national achievement, social and cultural improvement

To develop in the Nigerian youths the attitudes of mind, acquired through shared experience and suitable training. which will make them more amenable to mobilisation in the national interest

To enable Nigerian youths acquire the spirit of self reliance by encouraging them to develop skills for self employment

To contribute to the accelerated growth of the national economy

To develop common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration

To remove prejudices, eliminate ignorance and confirm at first hand the many similarities among Nigerians of all ethnic groups

To develop a sense of corporate existence and common destiny of the people of Nigeria.

The equitable distribution of members of the service corps and the effective utilisation of their skills in area of national needs

That as far as possible, youths are assigned to jobs in States other than their States of origin

That such group of youths assigned to work together is as representative of Nigeria as far as possible

That the Nigerian youths are exposed to the modes of living of the people in different parts of Nigeria

That the Nigerian youths are encouraged to eschew religious intolerance by accommodating religious differences

That members of the service corps are encouraged to seek at the end of their one year national service, career employment all over Nigeria, thus promoting the free movement of labour

That employers are induced partly through their experience with members of the service corps to employ more readily and on a permanent basis, qualified Nigerians, irrespective of their States of origin
Re: YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! by Nobody: 11:13am On Sep 08, 2013
NOW; my case:

After taking a critical look at the above Objectives, I can't but ask myself: Is there no better alternative to achieving this Objectives than sending vibrant, ambitious and visionary young and beautiful minds to where a good percentage don't really like as well as doing what most find irrelevant to their field/career path for a complete one year?

Efficiency and Effectiveness comes from doing what you like as well as where you like(environment)

History of NYSC has been characterised by gross inefficiency due to lack of interest in the state been posted to or the Place of Primary Assignment.

I have heard many people lamenting their disappointment in their NYSC year while some only talk about the testimonies of their fun and not their productivity non the impact made during the year.

CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING:

Lots of Financial and human resources committed every year with little or no Return to investment.

A situation where we now have people serving in their state of origin and interest therefore forfeiting the original plan

A situation where an insignificant or no contribution is made to the economic growth of the country as a result of lackadaisical attitude to work by most serving Youths only waiting to be paid ALAWEE - they are not to be blamed; after all Productivity is to a large extend a function of Job satisfaction and Job Satisfaction as it were stands on two legs: doing what you like(interest) where you like(location).
Re: YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! by Nobody: 11:15am On Sep 08, 2013
The list of my observation and case against the present state of NYSC is endless and I'm sure you too have yours.

However, I'm sure there is a different way we can do things differently and yet achieve thesame objectives but with a different result

Am not against the conception and delivery of NYSC as it were; all am saying is: it has grew and I think also out-grew its lifecycle and need to be restructured or replaced by Better alternative!

Someone once said the definition of insanity is doing thesame thing thesame way over and over yet expecting different result.

I Put this to YOU: "intellectual minds"

If given the opportunity,what will you put in place or do differently about NYSC to make it more efficiently and effectively?
Re: YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 08, 2013
Don't just readsmiley

Do well to share your own view and opinion......
Re: YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 08, 2013
@OP: are u Brig-Gen Nnamdi Okore-Affia? If u are, I will kindly suggest

1.Posting a Geologist like me to my area of Specialization rather than taking me to GJSS Dabawa, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina.

2. Aside the Federal Allawee, State allawee should be a must and Minimum Wage Inclusive.

3. The criteria for posting should be reviewed (A person from a geo-political zone should be Posted to a different Geo-Political zone).

4. Any disruption of academic calendar by ASUU Strike should not affect the service age of some persons, (I am 29yrs old by December 2012, hoping to be mobilized February 2013 but am yet to be mobilized cos of ASUU, it shouldn't count)

5. Change the contractors of your Kits cos dey don't last d entire service year without being torn or worn out.

6. Create Anti-Boko Haram/Anti-Kidnaping CDS.

Alternatively, Better still scrap d NYSC and give guyz d 500k

2 Likes

Re: YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! by ruffneck(m): 11:42am On Sep 08, 2013
Scrap it
Pay gradyates 300k @d end of their studies
Re: YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! by Nobody: 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
Are you saying people should be paid for being a graduate and not for adding value and contributing to the economic growth of the country?

1 Like

Re: YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 08, 2013
meetmonde: @OP: are u Brig-Gen Nnamdi Okore-Affia? If u are, I will kindly suggest

1.Posting a Geologist like me to my area of Specialization rather than taking me to GJSS Dabawa, Dutsin-Ma, Katsina.

2. Aside the Federal Allawee, State allawee should be a must and Minimum Wage Inclusive.

3. The criteria for posting should be reviewed (A person from a geo-political zone should be Posted to a different Geo-Political zone).

4. Any disruption of academic calendar by ASUU Strike should not affect the service age of some persons, (I am 29yrs old by December 2012, hoping to be mobilized February 2013 but am yet to be mobilized cos of ASUU, it shouldn't count)

5. Change the contractors of your Kits cos dey don't last d entire service year without being torn or worn out.

6. Create Anti-Boko Haram/Anti-Kidnaping CDS.

Alternatively, Better still scrap d NYSC and give guyz d 500k

You've gat some nice point Bro, buh as for the 500k....are U kidding?
Re: YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 08, 2013
u got sm points worth discussion....sorry bro the ETT crew wil soon spoil ur thread with thr crazy end time tinz...

im pro nysc, d nysc kits are substandard but i kinda like d white shorts, it has a way of givin guyz "hips"( dt made me laff whl in camp)
Re: YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 08, 2013
dmalam: u got sm points worth discussion....sorry bro the ETT crew wil soon spoil ur thread with thr crazy end time tinz...

im pro nysc, d nysc kits are substandard but i kinda like d white shorts, it has a way of givin guyz "hips"( dt made me laff whl in camp)

Really....let's discuss the points thensmiley

Guyz; don't just view, comment your own opinion and let's reason together
Re: YES!! Here Comes The CHANGE We Are Expecting In NYSC! by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 09, 2013
"The world suffers a lot. Not because of the violence of bad people, But because of the silence of good people!" Einstein.

Hey guyz, your comment will not get you arrested @least there is freedom of expressionwink

(1) (Reply)

Help! Nysc Is Holding My April Allowance / Nysc Registration Batch A 2017 / Let's Meet Here If You're Posted To IMO STATE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.