Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,635 members, 7,813,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Deploying Web Application - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Deploying Web Application (1038 Views)

Oracle Database Administration Or Web Application Developer / Ecommerce Web Application Written From Scratch In Php For Sale With Mobile View / Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deploying Web Application by Amarao(f): 11:38am On Jun 17, 2008
Good day,

Please I would like to know how to deploy my web application without including my code behind to my client.

Pls any Ideas.
Thanks
Re: Deploying Web Application by uspry1(f): 1:48pm On Jun 17, 2008
I don't understand what you mean by deploy web application without your coding to your clients?

I guess you mean for your portfolio of all your web applications without coding to show to your client. If yes, then taking screenshots of all your finished LIVE WEB APPLICATIONS into your Adobe Photoshop to resize half from original size.

Then build your own portfolio slideshow with text descriptions and clickable view real links buttons using either Adobe Dreamweaver or Flash to employ actions/behaviors resulting in XML, HTML or Flash Actionscript to load all jpegs on the website in order to save them into CD/DVD or USB memory stick you easily carry with you along with your laptop all the time when you are ready to meet your client in person.

Your client will view all your portfolio that show them your proof of REAL WORK YOU CREDITED FOR!

Here is the link you can create your own Flash-based jpeg slideshow with XML files at below.
http://www.adobe.com/support/flash/applications/jpeg_slideshow_xml/index.html

Be Creative!!! Like this below picture of your own Flash-based portfolio slideshow for your clients.

Re: Deploying Web Application by Amarao(f): 2:12pm On Jun 17, 2008
Thanks uspry1 for replying,

I don't mean showing my client slide shots of my application.
I mean when it has gone live and it is in use, my client can have access to my code which is very dangerous. I want to prevent this in such a way that the application will be in use by my client without him/she having access to the code behind the application.

Really appreciate your reply.
Thanks
Re: Deploying Web Application by yawatide(f): 2:36pm On Jun 17, 2008
@Amarao
First and foremost, there are 2 "codes" behind each application - The front end (html, css, javascript, etc) and the back end (business logic - php, jsp, etc).

For the front end, once deployed, there is nothing you can do. They can "view source" and get your front end code. Of course, depending on the kind of logic you have built on the backend, the front end could be pretty useless because it would only help with the code for the layout.

For the back end, if you are hosting the site, then you and you alone have access to the back end/front end code. If the client is hosting it, you are out of luck.

So, why is this so important to you? Doesn't make sense to me. Besides, I would think that legally, any code you write for your client is the legal property of that client once deployed. "View source" aside, if you are really that concerned about protecting your business logic you can either write it into your agreement that you own software rights OR you host the site and write a maintenance contract with the client so that you and only you have access to the code at all times.

Again though, what you want to accomplish makes no sense to me.
Re: Deploying Web Application by smartsoft(m): 3:40pm On Jun 17, 2008
na ! Ya wa she needs an encryption software that can encrpt php codes or any other programming languages, humm once have, will check for that and give it to you,

@ya again, i don't think you've done hard core programming job before, no hard nocks, what about if it takes you a whole 2 months to write a programming code without the help of friends or google search ? are you telling me that when you see your code been used, you woun't raise alarm, ?? there was this Theme for wordpress i downloaded a longtime ago and after removing the powered by so so so thing, thinking it was successfull, i saw a bold and conspicous write up saying " blah blah as been tampered with", so what do you say to that, i feel ya pain ja re Amarao, that is why some peeps just get Dedicated Servers and host those clients by themselves,

this link is usefull for you and you can encrpt your code with the software you find there,

http://www.seocompany.ca/software/free-encryption-software.html
Re: Deploying Web Application by yawatide(f): 4:48pm On Jun 17, 2008
@smartsoft
Insults and false assumptions aside:
So what if the code is encrypted? same difference. If I copy and paste the code in a php file, the code will work right? I think Amarao wants a situation where the code is neither usable nor accessible.

In general, as far as layout is concerned, you could obfuscate the code but it makes no difference as a copy and paste will do the trick. Are you going to say you haven't "stolen" anyone's layout or other code online before? Why are you then angry when you see someone using your own code? Let he without sin cast the first stone. That is the whole essence of the web - it's in the public domain.

By the way smartsoft, what is "hard core programming" and does it differ from "regular" or "soft core" programming? Just wondering.
Re: Deploying Web Application by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 17, 2008
Alternatively, for a .NET web application this is what i do:
1. Add up a new "Setup & Deployment" project to my application
2. Right click on this project File to add up the deplorable files (e.g. primary output, which Contains the DLL or EXE built by the project etc).
If you don't want your codes to show up on the client side, just deselect the source file option and select other applicable files.
3. click Ok
4. Right Click on the project file again to Build
5. Locate the setup file from the 'Microsoft Visual Studio Projects' folder on MyDocuments
6. Copy the SetUp file to an external drive and you can deploy your application anywhere you want it. (The setup file comes with an installable file, the Release & Debug folders)

I find this much easier especially on .NET platform.
Re: Deploying Web Application by uspry1(f): 6:00pm On Jun 17, 2008
Or another alternative to deploy web application is to use Flash CS3 to build full dynamic website parsing your external files inside the flash movie that your client would view the source- - -still cannot see your coding but seeing Flash embedded coding on HTML page.

Flash CS3 has built-in DataGrid connector for external XML and PHP files to be loading to the Flash-based website.

That way if your client move the INDEX.HTML with inside Flash .swf file to someone else's web hosting service, it will prompt RED X Flash player, missing all external files to be parsed/loading on the website.

Because it must HAVE THE SAME HTML DIRECTORY where external files and .swf file located together to employ actions/behavior resulting in XML, PHP, or Actionscript loading to the website. The INCLUDE TAG/DataGrid connector is designated for your client's URL address, not someone else's URL address.

That's where it come in Flash movie prompt error dialog message---not found on the page or missing files.

Also your client cannot open .swf file using Flash CS3, need a raw Flash file .fla to be opened. You keep raw Flash file, not client for your website maintainance/backup purpose in case of client lost his site unless contract agreement that you have agreed to furnish your raw Flash file giving to your client.
Re: Deploying Web Application by OmniPotens(m): 6:09pm On Jun 17, 2008
I think uspry1 has a better solution. I have tried this and it really worked. All you need it to keep the .fla file with you and give away the .swf file. Even if your client uses flash catcher to capture the movie, all he/she gets is the .swf file and not the raw .fla movie. You are on the safer side with this.

The next thing here is, how good are you in using adobe flash?
Re: Deploying Web Application by yawatide(f): 6:27pm On Jun 17, 2008
So,

I have worked with someone who had this pretty nifty software (I could care less about flash and so have never used it but i digress) that could decode any .swf file you gave him. He was so good at it that even when we would give an outsourcing company something to do, and tell them to encrypt is much as they could, if we needed a change done, we wouldn't send it back to the company, we would give it to this guy to decode. What would you say about that?

Bottomline to this is, there are probably many ways to get this done but at the end of the day, such techniques are only as good as the maker and many times are not worth it. Look at it this way, MSFT is proprietary but languages like PHP are open-source and gaining popularity daily. Let's learn from that. No need in hiding stuff that 9 times out of 10, you ended up copying from someone else (letz all be honest now, we are all guilty of this).
Re: Deploying Web Application by uspry1(f): 6:32pm On Jun 17, 2008
@yawa-ti-de

That is correct! Unless your client is not clueless to hire proficient Flash programmer to decode .swf file. Not a problem!!!
Re: Deploying Web Application by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jun 17, 2008
What you need is Zend guard, you can buy it from this url

http://www.zend.com/en/products/guard/

but costs $600

it converts your code to machine language and even make your web application run faster. no hosting company will be able to duplicate your codes as it will be totally useless to them

you can even hide passwords in your code.

It totally obfuscate your codes and prevents reverse engineering. so no decompiler will be able to decompile your code

and since its from the same php zend company i think you can trust them

and if you are a warez user, am sure you can scrub the web for a copy at your own risk

As for keeping the fla and giving out the swf, Please google for "sothink swf decompiler" thats the best swf decompiler i have seen so far

There are decompilers, java decompilers, python decompilers, flash decompilers etc
Re: Deploying Web Application by smartsoft(m): 3:41pm On Jun 18, 2008
@ya wa we aren't fighting ooo sorry if that hurts
Re: Deploying Web Application by yawatide(f): 3:54pm On Jun 18, 2008
it doesnt hurt at all. Unlike most naija women, i hv a thick skin. I just didn't like the false accusations, thatz all. You could have worded it better.
Re: Deploying Web Application by smartsoft(m): 4:13pm On Jun 18, 2008
okay @ya wa have taken note of that.
Re: Deploying Web Application by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 18, 2008
i will advise you move your discussion to reconciliation thread
Re: Deploying Web Application by ThePhantom(m): 9:56am On Jun 19, 2008
API. Host the code and create an API. That is want I do, I create my own web apps, host them, create an API so the clients site can use the apps and make them pay a service fee for using them. If they want host the app then you tell them they have to pay for it (Other than the web design). But then again it depends on the agreement you and the client had.
Re: Deploying Web Application by aphoe(m): 6:05pm On Jun 20, 2008
@amarao

i guess u must be talking about ASP.NET web apps, Use the compiled version for all your classes and asp.net files that dont have a UI. u can achieve this by creating a "class" project/solution for each of your classes outside your main application. and attach their DLL file to ur ASP.NET solution that u want to sell to ur client
Re: Deploying Web Application by chuksloy: 12:00am On Jun 21, 2008
you dont have to hide any code. but if you must then use zend encryptor for php codes

http://secureleave.tk
http://fashon.tk
http://graphice.tk
http://footballz.tk

(1) (Reply)

How To Become A Ceh (certified Ethical Hacker)? / All .ng Domains Would Be De-activated. / Http://www.facebook.com/pages/shopheads/107306529287087

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.