Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,228 members, 7,811,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Was The Bishop Sick? Scriptural Perspective On "Laying On Of Hands" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was The Bishop Sick? Scriptural Perspective On "Laying On Of Hands" (653 Views)

Do You Know The Bishop Of The Whole World? / Dikeji Miyerijesu-The Bishop Of The Whole World Notice Of Disclaimer On Facebook / Bishop Consecrates Men By Laying On Top Of Them In Death Ritual? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was The Bishop Sick? Scriptural Perspective On "Laying On Of Hands" by infonubia(m): 2:07pm On Sep 08, 2013
The video of Tyler Perry laying hands on Bishop T.D Jakes went viral after it was posted on YouTube. It also sparked a debate about laying on of hands.

Here's a write up by Timothy Adigun on the issue. It is long but very informative. Read and share your thoughts....

One of the foundational teachings and doctrine of Christ is that of "the laying on of hands" which I believe in recent times has come under serious scrutiny because of a "one-off" (maybe impulsive) action by Tyler Perry, when he placed his hands on the Bishop T.D. Jakes' head and blessed him. This has stirred up several questions and opinions from several quarters.

Sampled Opinion

Who cares who lays hands on who? Some would say. We should care, some would say at least from the perceptive of this warning "..Do not be HASTY in the laying on of hands.." 1 Timothy 5:22a.(NIV). But really, is that part of scripture restraint us for every occasion of laying on of hands? We will check this later.

The "greater must blessed the lesser" some would say, quoting/paraphrasing Hebrews 7:7 out of context. In as much as the statement is both scriptural and true even in the case of laying on of hands to impart blessings, in context of Hebrews 7:7 where scriptures talks about Melchizedek blessing Abraham, there was NO mention of "laying on of the hands" [ See Gen. 14:18-21 ]. Verse 4 of Hebrews 7 shows us the intent of verse 7 like so:

Now observe and consider how GREAT [a personage] this was to whom EVEN Abraham the patriarch gave a tenth [the topmost or the pick of the heap] of the spoils...

In fact, scriptures pointed it out that even Levi paid tithes through Abraham to Melchizedek. This man was so great not only to bless Abraham ( the one with the promises), but also changed his perception forever. There was no record of Abraham lifting his hand anywhere except for his encounter with Melchizedek ( Please compare Gen 14:19 with Gen. 14:22). The whole point of Hebrews 7 was to show that the Levitical order of priesthood:
Has limitation by the reason of death [v.8,23-24].
Was also not perfect [ v.11-21 ] so the need for another and
That the priesthood of Christ is of the Order of Melchizedek with an Oath! [ v.21-8:1-6 ]
Moreover, for those quoting the "greater must bless the lesser", don't they use words like "I bless you Lord". Are they then greater to "bless" the Lord? Though it is not wrong to say so.

Growing up, in my grandmother's place, she first taught me to pray for the sick, by asking me to lay my hands on her and pray whenever she was sick. Was she out of order? Her basis for this was Jesus' words in Mark 16:17-18.

Scriptural Perspective

With all of these in mind, what says God's word on this matter? Though not often taught, Laying on of hands is one of the teachings of God's word with examples in both Old and New Testaments.
This practice though human, has significant role and purposes and should not be done "mindlessly" or for fun. It is done for:

A. Impartation of blessing [ Jacob and Joseph's sons ] - Gen. 48:11-14.

Joseph had brought his two sons with him to see his father. And on the request of his father he brought the two of them; presenting Manasseh the elder to the right hand of his father and Ephraim to his left. Jacob by divine guidance crossed his hands, LAYING his right hand on the younger and his left on the older. Thereby, blessing Joseph's children placing the younger before the elder.

B. Leadership and authority [ Moses and Joshua ] - Num. 27:15-23

After God had showed Moses the promised land and told him the reason for which he would die without entering it, he asked God to set a leader for the children of Israel. God told Moses how to do it! Among other things to do, Moses was to commission Joshua (in whom is the Spirit) for the task, by LAYING his hand on him! (Please note that no OIL was mentioned). And as such set him before the high priest and the children of Israel and gave him a charge before them, making him the next leader.

C. Transference of spirit [ Moses and Joshua] - Deut. 34:9

...And Joshua son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had LAID HIS HANDS upon him; so the Israelites listened to him and did as the Lord commanded Moses...

The only reason the scriptures gave for Joshua being FULL (though he had a dimension before the laying on of Moses' hand) of the spirit of wisdom is because Moses had laid his hands on him.

D. Assurance of victory [ Elisha and Joash ] -- 2 Kings 13:15-17

By Elisha laying his hand on the hand of the king of Israel, and asking him to shoot his arrows through the window eastward and on the ground afterwards, victory was assured for the king against the Syrians.

All of the above took a different turn in the books of the New testament. Though some would argue that some element of the purpose [or usage] of the laying on of hands in the book of the old testament can still be traced to the book of the new testament; namely laying on of the hand on those "appointed" as deacons [ we shall see this later].

E. Healing the sick - Mark 16:17-18

"..And these attesting signs will accompany those who believe: in My name ..., they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will get well..."

In this verse of scripture, laying on of hands on the sick for healing has nothing to do with any status whatsoever. Every believer has this signs "following" them. This was my grandma's conclusion and my own belief too. It doesn't matter when the believer start to believe. No spiritual status of any kind (for those that count one) is needed. No age constraint, no language or educational barrier. No titles whatsoever. It is also important to notes that the identities of the sick was not specified, and there is nothing in context to suggest that "the sick" here are those to be witnessed to. If that is the case [ that is, if the sick were to be those to be witnessed to], what about the sign of speaking with tongues? So, "the sick" in the passage could be anyone. Moreso, in context of this scripture, the focus is on "those who believe".

Some may then ask, if we can all pray for the sick, where then is the place of "..call (ING) the elders (please note the plural) of the church.." as described in James 5:14-15? A simple question should answer this. If there are no way for whatsoever reason to get the elders of the church or there is no church in that vicinity, what then happens?

F. Receiving The Holy Spirit - Acts. 8:14-25, 9:17, 19:1-6

..Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. PLACING HIS HANDS ON Saul, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—HAS SENT ME so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit...

In all the places mentioned in the book of Acts about the baptism or the in-filling of the Spirit of God, about 3 places shows clearly that people were baptized with the Holy Spirit after hands had been laid on them.

It is interesting to note that in Samaria, the bible recorded that Holy Spirit was given by the laying on of the hands of the "apostles" [Acts 8:18], and in Ephesus, twelve MEN also received the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands of Paul [ Acts 19:6]. But in Damascus, Saul (who was later called Paul) had also received both the healing of his sight and Holy Spirit [ Acts 9:17 ] by the laying on of the hands of "a certain disciple" called Ananias [Acts 9:10]. However, what we must note is that Ananias was sent.

G. Commissioning ministers - Acts 6:1-6, 13:1-4

In the early church, seven men were chosen to help with the matter of the table, when there was issue as regard the distribution of bread among the increasing number of the disciples. These were commissioned for this work by the laying on of the hands by the apostles.

The same thing happened in the case of Barnabas and Saul [i.e Paul, the same name in a different language], hands were laid on them after prayers,fasting and prophecy before they were sent out from the church in Antioch.

H. Imparting spiritual gift - 1 Timothy 4:14, 2 Timothy 1:6

..Do not neglect the gift which is in you, [that special inward endowment] which was directly imparted to you [by the Holy Spirit] by prophetic utterance when the elders laid their hands upon you [at your ordination]...That is why I would remind you to stir up (rekindle the embers of, fan the flame of, and keep burning) the [gracious] gift of God, [the inner fire] that is in you by means of the laying on of my hands [with those of the elders at your ordination]...

Paul writing to Timothy, asked him not to neglect "THE" gift which was in him which he got (primarily, by the Holy Spirit) by the "means" of laying of hands of the elders.

The last two points above bear a close resemblance with the Old testament type of which took place between Moses and Joshua. And one should also note that there was no mention of OIL whatsoever as regard laying on of hands. Then one could only wonder, where we got the practice of ANOINTING OIL from when ministers are been commissioned.

The Caution We Should Heed -- 1 Timothy 5:17-25

..Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men’s sins: keep thyself pure...

If one reads that passage of scripture in isolation it would look like Paul was telling Timothy never to lay hands on anybody for ANY case "SUDDENLY". If that is true, then what happens in the case of those to be healed by laying on of the hands? Is the scripture contradicting itself? Or are "we" suppose to ask for people's sin, before praying healing for them, at least in the case of healing? NO! NOT at all. If that passage is read in the context of which it is found, then it shows Paul was giving instruction on how ordination should be done in the church setting. Simply, "Never be in a hurry to ordain a man". And I think such instruction should still be enshrine even today.

The only place where laying on of the hands is required with no particular "ORDER" (Order here has nothing to do with titles or Hierarchy but ROLES) is in the place of healing. Remember Ananias prayed for Paul, and he received both healing and the in-filling of the Spirit, even in that case he was sent by the Lord and that he announced to Paul before placing hands on him.

I think we should, as children of God, operate in balance of scriptures; accurate knowledge and understanding rather than mere emotions and impulsive actions. What purpose does the laying on of hands on the bishop serve? Please note that I'm not questioning the "character" of the person who laid hands here, but the action itself . Of course, we can pray for people without laying hands on them. But when we do lay hands, it becomes a different "ball game" altogether.

Lastly, one other thing I often see being practiced, is people falling "UNDER" the anointing when hands are laid on them. There is no reference of such in scriptures. Please go check, any where in scriptures when people encounter God, they fall face-down (in worship) with their senses intact. No need for ushers or someone helping anybody. Even in cases, where people were so afraid like Jesus' disciples on the Mount of Transfiguration in Matthew 17:6. It's so beautiful that the very next verse Jesus came and touched them saying "... Arise, and be not afraid...".

Honestly, I can only ask those who believe and practice (or those who keep falling) this: After the falling and the standing up, what happened? Peter told us about his own experience on that mount with Jesus later in his epistle (2 Peter 1:16-19).

I believe we should look into God's word as we live our lives daily and not make "caricature" of things that are holy.

And like Edwin Louis Cole said "Balance is key" !!!

Timothy Adigun

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/09/was-bishop-sick-scriptural-perspective.html
Re: Was The Bishop Sick? Scriptural Perspective On "Laying On Of Hands" by infonubia(m): 8:27pm On Sep 09, 2013
Please read and share your thought. Thanks!
Re: Was The Bishop Sick? Scriptural Perspective On "Laying On Of Hands" by SecretDreams(m): 1:11am On Sep 10, 2013
Exactly, now a days laying of hands has already become a tradition everywhere with most people doing it without having biblical understanding about it, the fact is that most times people that 'fall under annointing' through laying of hands often fall under their own flesh and consciousness with no experience of the Holy spirit, heard a story of woman who claimed to be under the annointing of the holy spirit, she fell and fractured her leg, now tell me was it the Holy spirit that made her fracture her leg ? Lots of people damage church properties all in the name of falling under annointing, isn't that vandalism in the church of God ? Some people even 'fall under annointing' because everybody seems to be falling too. I hope its not until someone falls one day and fractures his skull that people will learn not to act according to the flesh and their own impulse.
Re: Was The Bishop Sick? Scriptural Perspective On "Laying On Of Hands" by infonubia(m): 4:13am On Sep 10, 2013
Secret_Dreams: Exactly, now a days laying of hands has already become a tradition everywhere with most people doing it without having biblical understanding about it, the fact is that most times people that 'fall under anointing' through laying of hands often fall under their own flesh and consciousness with no experience of the Holy spirit, heard a story of woman who claimed to be under the anointing of the holy spirit, she fell and fractured her leg, now tell me was it the Holy spirit that made her fracture her leg ? Lots of people damage church properties all in the name of falling under anointing, isn't that vandalism in the church of God ? Some people even 'fall under anointing' because everybody seems to be falling too. I hope its not until someone falls one day and fractures his skull that people will learn not to act according to the flesh and their own impulse.
Hmmm...true talk. However, I think some people really do fall under the anointing. To me, the falling isn't the issues but what happens after you fall. Did something change in you or its just another 'subu sere'?
Re: Was The Bishop Sick? Scriptural Perspective On "Laying On Of Hands" by SecretDreams(m): 9:28am On Sep 10, 2013
infonubia:
Hmmm...true talk. However, I think some people really do fall under the anointing. To me, the falling isn't the issues but what happens after you fall. Did something change in you or its just another 'subu sere'?
yeah, some people will start acting after, people sha. God will help us

(1) (Reply)

Fadeless Vision / Challenges Facing Young Couples / Eternal Salvation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.