Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,290 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / . (4576 Views)

Why Would A Lady Remain In An Abusive Relationship? / Why Do Women Remain In Terrible And Abusive Marriages? / Girl He Never Slept With Claims To Be Pregnant For Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by LaShawn: 9:18pm On Sep 08, 2013
Part of me is torn to hear what or even wise to allow him dial me?
Re: . by Nobody: 9:58pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hi.
Our destinies they say lie in our hands. I think picking up the pieces of a broken r/ship is hard enuf not to talk of an abusive one. You have moved on , keep moving and don't look back. A tiger rarely ever loses its spots. You have done and can still do better.

4 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 08, 2013
isha.salam:
Hi.
Our destinies they say lie in our hands. I think picking up the pieces of a broken r/ship is hard enuf not to talk of an abusive one. You have moved on , keep moving and don't look back. A tiger rarely ever loses its spots. You have done and can still do better.

LaShawn, I would heed this advice.
Re: . by Skywalker3(m): 10:55pm On Sep 08, 2013
Somethings they say will never change - An abusive man is one of them. The guy is your ex for a reason. Out of the millions of better men out there waiting to meet you, why would you wanna go back to someone who abused you?
Just make him understand that, the moment he did whatever wrong he did to you, was the day he cut the forbidden fruit from Eden - I cant remember things going back to the way they used to be after Eve did that.
Re: . by LaShawn: 11:30pm On Sep 08, 2013
Thank you all. I understand what You're saying.

I'm just beginning to wonder if there is actually that Nirvana in a Nigerian relationship. I've also tried dating But the guy that I dated after my abusive ex said I wasn't religious enough for him. All Because I insisted he check his genotype Since I'm AS. HE said we should believe that he is of the AA genotype. I insisted and after months of arguing, he broke up with me, saying he needs a woman of faith as a partner as he will someday be a pastor.
P.S. He also got angry that I went to get vaccinated for hepatitis, saying I was always digging for medical issues and he is someone who doesn't believe in hospitals Or doctors.

Another came along, and during discussions, I asked about his culture. All he could tell me about his culture was 'women are not allowed to do this, women are not allowed to do that'.
What broke the camels back was when he told me that I would have to leave my job sooner or later. That he wanted a woman doing a small-scale business. I took offence Because nobody was ever there for me financially, except my parents, and to be honest, I didn't think he was in the position to tell me what not to do, especially as my longsuffering parents were over the moon about my job and I saw it as an opportunity to help out with some expense, both myself and siblings. And of course, it doesnt hurt to buy stuff and pay with my own money, without having to scrimp or ask my parents. I get it that my job gets crayzie, But it pays the bills. So that crossed out this guy as an option.

I'm beginning to view relationships as all having a measure of evil. And to get in a relationship, It's a case of choosing the lesser evil.
Re: . by Daresh(f): 11:31pm On Sep 08, 2013
LaShawn my advice is the same that others have given you. Keep moving on, don't look back, don't acknowledge him. Move on cos he has not changed.
Re: . by feminineA: 12:15am On Sep 09, 2013
LaShawn: Thank you all. I understand what You're saying.

I'm just beginning to wonder if there is actually that Nirvana in a Nigerian relationship. I've also tried dating But the guy that I dated after my abusive ex said I wasn't religious enough for him. All Because I insisted he check his genotype Since I'm AS. HE said we should believe that he is of the AA genotype. I insisted and after months of arguing, he broke up with me, saying he needs a woman of faith as a partner as he will someday be a pastor.
P.S. He also got angry that I went to get vaccinated for hepatitis, saying I was always digging for medical issues and he is someone who doesn't believe in hospitals Or doctors.

Another came along, and during discussions, I asked about his culture. All he could tell me about his culture was 'women are not allowed to do this, women are not allowed to do that'.
What broke the camels back was when he told me that I would have to leave my job sooner or later. That he wanted a woman doing a small-scale business. I took offence Because nobody was ever there for me financially, except my parents, and to be honest, I didn't think he was in the position to tell me what not to do, especially as my longsuffering parents were over the moon about my job and I saw it as an opportunity to help out with some expense, both myself and siblings. And of course, it doesnt hurt to buy stuff and pay with my own money, without having to scrimp or ask my parents. I get it that my job gets crayzie, But it pays the bills. So that crossed out this guy as an option.

I'm beginning to view relationships as all having a measure of evil. And to get in a relationship, It's a case of choosing the lesser evil.

If you are thinking of going back to your ex just because of all the other unfavourable guyz u dated then you are very wrong.
What I know is this "once a woman beater always a woman beater". It takes the grace of God to change a man. You've moved on then keep moving on! On other relationships I believe you are doing what you should do. Don't get yourself worked up to the extend of becoming vulnerable. You need to look well before you leap.
* remember He that will come will come, he will not tarry* just be prayerful
Re: . by LaShawn: 12:55am On Sep 09, 2013
^^
Thank you. It's not really the thought of going back Because the others were unfavourable.

Nah!

It's just that I was wondering if he truly had learned that certain behaviors are unacceptable and if he was truly changed as he claimed.
I myself know I can't live with his abuse if things are still the way they were.

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 5:33am On Sep 09, 2013
Then maybe you should take a break from men to really realise what you dont want in a r/ship. Trust me time off worked for me.
LaShawn: ^^
Thank you. It's not really the thought of going back Because the others were unfavourable.

Nah!

It's just that I was wondering if he truly had learned that certain behaviors are unacceptable and if he was truly changed as he claimed.
I myself know I can't live with his abuse if things are still the way they were.
Re: . by greatgod2012(f): 6:09am On Sep 09, 2013
My dear sister op,
An abusive man never change, i tell you, they may hide for some time and for a purpose, but they rarely change, except few who are actually arrested by God himself, when they are a little bit annoyed, they go back to their attitude, and it is a very dangerous thing to live with an abusive person.
I want you to know that, his coming back to you is because, no one could cope with his abusive nature, if he has found someone to endure his abuses, he definitely wont come back begging.
You have moved on with your life without him, you can do better, i dont think he has anything good to offer you, infact, as tolerant as i think i am, i am totally against abusive relationships or marriages, and on the note of that, keep moving on with your life, he is your ex, let him remain there, dont open an old wound.

And as for your unfavourable relationships you are having with some other guys, thank your star you were able to see the signs ever before walking the aisle with them, what if you discover all that after marriage, there is a purpose for God allowing you to see the signals, and the purpse is that He doesnt want you to end up with a wrong man. At the right appointed time, your own right man will show up and you will be wondering where he has been all this while. Yes, that is the mystery behind getting married to the right person.
Can you imagine the person who doesnt believe in science or doctors in this modern age or the one who believe that women are mere domestic appendage in this modern age?
Abeg, take a chill pill my dear sister and your own right man will come your way, sooner than you imagined and you will share the testimony here for all of us to rejoice with you here.

5 Likes

Re: . by greatgod2012(f): 6:16am On Sep 09, 2013
I have this for you.

Re: . by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 09, 2013
La shawn, Take time off and understand your self, write down what you want generally from life and from relationships.
Also write down your own strenghts and weaknesses, know them and own them.

The problem I see is that you are begining to panic and believe that you won't get married because of the ones you have met. So you are telling yourself that you might as well settle.

I also see a pattern, those men smell desperation, do you go about doing things to convince them that you are wife material? Calm down, remove your minds from the clock ticking on your head, concentrate on your own self, enjoy your own company, heal your own wounds or learn to manage them.

When you meet a man, don't start planning the wedding in your head, don't start showing him how good of a wife you can be, enjoy dating
When you build your esteem it glows and keeps aways losers and whinners, it attracts the right man with the right mind set.

The choice is yours, slow down, learn to enjoy life and Gods blessings or rush on, settle just to settle and say you are married. Which ever you make has benefits and consequencies, decide which you can live with

3 Likes

Re: . by bellong: 8:12am On Sep 09, 2013
Lashawn,

I have no other stuff to add than what you have been advised. One of the things I tell ladies is the moment a guy physically abuse you once, either intentionally or by mistake, cut-off the relationship and move on with your life.

Only the spirit of God deals with habits and character in people. He grew up as an abusive fellow, and there is high probability that it won't die hard in him. We may not be able to rule out the fact that he is changed as said by him but since you have no vital evidence to corroborate his story, the wise thing to do is to let him be part of your old story. There are good men out there who will make you happy till death do you part.

No matter your age, do not let it be the reason you want to marry, take your time, study the man and have a strong conviction about him before committing to any guy. Please, do not join ship with religious hypocrites, they are fair weather people who only believe in religion and have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof. Jesus in His earthly ministry never condemned medical science and there is a reason why God grant humans medical breakthroughs by the day.

Be patient and prayerful, do not fidget or get anxious about what will be tomorrow. Tomorrow will take care of itself. Infact, you may meet the right guy when you least expected it. Marry only the person who will respect you and treat you right. Someone who is godly and cannot compromise his integrity for anything under the sun.

It is well with you

2 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 09, 2013
Pls listen, don't open old wound. He might look conviencin but i'm sure he's still 100% abusive pson. Your doing well now, don't be surprice if u ascept him back, things might start goin down. We meet people for a reason, if they don't add to our life, then they subtract from us. Don't live dat job for no reason, many pple are looking for that spot.
Re: . by LaShawn: 8:47am On Sep 09, 2013
Thanks to everybody.

For me, I wouldn't say desperation is there. If anything, It's these guys that have been chasing me up and down.

If I was desperate, I would have pretended to be churchy just to marry the first guy after my ex, Because he was someone I knew for years and I knew just what he wanted. I wouldn't have been keen to know his genotype, I would have gone along with faith just as he suggested.

I would have Been married to the abuser even before that. He's mum loved me to bits and at that time, inspite of it all, he still wanted us to get married.

The guy that doesn't want a working wife also wanted things to have moved better than it it doing now. I am the one who has stopped talking to him, as much as he wants to get closer. Because I know I can't live without a job. I am not the business type.
I am not desperate to be married. I dont hound these guys, or live in their shadow. I just moved far from home, and most people at work think its because i had a relationship here. However, all my former toasters are now hours away.
If anything, I am just doing the whole relationship stuff Because I want to make my parents happy.
I Never dated throughout university. Because the plan wasn't to get married immediately after stepping out, marriage has Never freaked me like it did my mates.
I know I am quiet and an introvert. I respect people. I am conservative. However, underneath it I know I have the tenacity to do whatever I want to be do. I believe in decency But I surprise people sometimes.
If There's anything, self esteem is what I struggle with. I was a fat kid and was taunted that others. Somehow along the line, my weight leveled. I get praises for my flat tummy, my hips and back. Ive gotten compliments from virtual strangers. But I don't always feel so confident.
Re: . by bellong: 8:50am On Sep 09, 2013
^^^ Work on your self-esteem and let no one take advantage of you. People can only bully you if you allow them. Do not let whatever negativity anybody brings affect you. Nobody created you and no one has the right to look down on you except you allow them

It is well with you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: . by greatgod2012(f): 9:37am On Sep 09, 2013
See this again!

Re: . by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 09, 2013
Sky walker: Somethings they say will never change - An abusive man is one of them. The guy is your ex for a reason. Out of the millions of better men out there waiting to meet you, why would you wanna go back to someone who abused you?
Just make him understand that, the moment he did whatever wrong he did to you, was the day he cut the forbidden fruit from Eden - I cant remember things going back to the way they used to be after Eve did that.

I think you have the answer now. Everybody on this forum cannot be wrong. The only reason why he wants you back is because you are the best he can ever get. I repeat for emphasis, YOU ARE THE BEST HE CAN EVER GET so he wants you back. This guy has not changed and he does not love you at all. If you go back to him, the beating will continue. He probably dated some bad girls that sent thugs to beat him up once after he beat her. Or may be he beat some girl and her brothers came to deal with him. He has realised how gentle you are and so wants to come back.

Marriage is not everything ok. Having the right man is worth waiting for. You are going to be married for 70 years (amen) so please take your time. Dont come cheap and the right guy will soon be here.

1 Like

Re: . by obyrich(m): 7:05am On Sep 10, 2013
Abusers love to marry women with low esteem. They love women who can easily back down in the heat of an argument. You will make a good wife for him but he can NEVER be a good husband for you. He is desperate to have you because he knows he can easily manipulate you. NASHVILLE's deduction on why he wants you is very accurate. Marry him today and you will come here again to seek advice on how best to get a divorce soon. Perhaps with a new moniker. Let him go get another woman, perhaps a Margarate Thatcher, for a wife and learn that women are not animals or poo-eating dogs in the home but partners in the journey of life.

6 Likes

Re: . by princessmoi: 11:37am On Sep 10, 2013
Do not go back, you are better off without him. The right man will come when you least expect him.
Re: . by Nobody: 11:45am On Sep 10, 2013
I am so happy for men like Obyrich and Nashville.

2 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 10, 2013
debrief08: I am so happy for men like Obyrich and Nashville.
U r right dear.
Especially the nashville guy. His posts always make sense. Reminds me of TV05. Where has he gone to? I miss him.true.
Re: . by LewsTherin: 1:41pm On Sep 10, 2013
Abusive guys can change. I am not saying your ex has but he could have. Forgive him? Of course. That is a given. Go back to him? Errr (in Macaulay Caulkin's voice) I wouldn't do that if I were you. But then again, I am not you. And you may pass of a good thing if, IF he really has changed.

I really wonder about the kind of guys you date. Considering that according to my wife I am a oretty good guy, I can only say there are good guys out there. Considering that the bulk of the guys I know are good guys, there must be a heck of a lot of them out there so it's a question of why you are not meeting them. Naybe you need to increase your regions of interaction. Maybe you need to change your region of interaction. Since you say you are not desperate, what is it about you that attracts the wrong guys? Study yourself. See what you need to change, see what you need to improve.

Relationships are not all evil. I should know. I'm in one.

2 Likes

Re: . by obyrich(m): 1:46pm On Sep 10, 2013
debrief08: I am so happy for men like Obyrich and Nashville.
Tnx dear, I'm flattered. grin
Re: . by ayando(m): 3:18pm On Sep 10, 2013
It is sad that most ladies have a general belief that an abusive person cant change. The truth is the man has realized his mistakes. The question is: Does she still love him? can she ever forget those bad incidents in the past. she needs to evaluate what is most important for her in a man because there are two sides of a person. We choose what we can put up with in a person.

Am in no way supporting an abusive relationship but what i am saying is we all get a second chance and we should not sound so perfect in course of advising someone in need.
If we read what she said, she said he was very good at first but along the line something happened. what happened? what went wrong? This clearly means any good person can turn to a bad person.
I wish you the best n I hope the Lord guide your thought to choose rightly. Shalom

1 Like

Re: . by dahmie2013: 7:37pm On Sep 10, 2013
debrief08: La shawn, Take time off and understand your self, write down what you want generally from life and from relationships.
Also write down your own strenghts and weaknesses, know them and own them.

The problem I see is that you are begining to panic and believe that you won't get married because of the ones you have met. So you are telling yourself that you might as well settle.

I also see a pattern, those men smell desperation, do you go about doing things to convince them that you are wife material? Calm down, remove your minds from the clock ticking on your head, concentrate on your own self, enjoy your own company, heal your own wounds or learn to manage them.

When you meet a man, don't start planning the wedding in your head, don't start showing him how good of a wife you can be, enjoy dating
When you build your esteem it glows and keeps aways losers and whinners, it attracts the right man with the right mind set.

The choice is yours, slow down, learn to enjoy life and Gods blessings or rush on, settle just to settle and say you are married. Which ever you make has benefits and consequencies, decide which you can live with
I love this!
Re: . by dahmie2013: 7:40pm On Sep 10, 2013
ayando: It is sad that most ladies have a general belief that an abusive person cant change. The truth is the man has realized his mistakes. The question is: Does she still love him? can she ever forget those bad incidents in the past. she needs to evaluate what is most important for her in a man because there are two sides of a person. We choose what we can put up with in a person.

Am in no way supporting an abusive relationship but what i am saying is we all get a second chance and we should not sound so perfect in course of advising someone in need.
If we read what she said, she said he was very good at first but along the line something happened. what happened? what went wrong? This clearly means any good person can turn to a bad person.
I wish you the best n I hope the Lord guide your thought to choose rightly. Shalom
Dear, wat went wrong was he took her for granted. He probably noticed she loved him more, so dat gave him d liberty to do wat he did!

1 Like

Re: . by critique101(f): 7:01pm On Sep 14, 2013
LaShawn: Hi everybody.

I was here a while ago to talk about my abusive ex.

I have done what I can by not picking his calls or acknowledging his texts the past two years. He has sent friend requests to my Facebook, done all sorts to get my attention. All which I ignored. I even blocked him.

The latest is that he tracked down my best friend about 5 months back and talked her into begging me. When She tried, I flared up as the memory of the pain he made me go through came back in full force.

Yesterday, I logged into my chat and saw that she'd forwarded me his messages. He claims to have changed and sounds so pitiful. Part of me scoffs at that, Because he was always so good at begging. But just then part of me wonders what if he's truly changed?

The truth is that at the beginning of that relationship, it was so good. Then it all went downhill. I have done well for myself these two years. I got a great job and I just moved to stay on my own the first time in my life.

It's said that you don't know the worth of a good person, till you encounter the bad. He has been through hell according to him dating different girls these two years and he is really desperate for my forgiveness and was begging to atleast talk to me as I saw in the messages She forwarded.

Part of me is torn to hear what he has to say. At this point, is it safe or prudent or even wise to allow him dial me?

babe, find another man. i have a friend whose abusive ex is trying to make up with her now so she can tell her dad to help him get a job. This is after years of sucking the chic dry. be wise or you will leave to regret it

1 Like

Re: . by LaShawn: 5:57am On Sep 17, 2013
Thank you all for taking the time out to advise me.
Being with him was the worst experience in my life and you can read it from my thread "Is This What Happens In Serious Relationships". Even that was not all. I left out so many things, so many horrible happenings.

At first, I kept his insultive texts and recorded some of his voice calls so that I could always go back and read and remember to Never go back to him for any Reason But I had to delete them. As we know, people don't respect others privacy and I was too ashamed of anybody knowing the extent of my shame.

Thank you all. I really appreciate....

1 Like

Re: . by remsonik(f): 11:51am On Sep 18, 2013
My sister pls don't go back to him...am happy u really knw what u want,ur case is similar to mine.I left him for good and since then it has been bliss. God bless!!

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 18, 2013
Stay away from that man, he has no respect for you so he can never change.
Re: . by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 23, 2013
LaShawn, please come back to the other thread. More people want you there than not. Ma binu (no vex) kiss

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia / I Mistakenly Slept With My Wife’s Twin And She Didn’t Even Speak Out To Stop Me / Wife Addressing Husband With "Sir"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.