Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia (4581 Views)

How Do You Deal With Spouses That Have Different Opinion About Family And Life? / How Do You Deal With A Child's Tantrum In Public Places? / How Do You Deal With A Husband That Keeps Malice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 1:53pm On Nov 16, 2014
I don't know if it is parasomnia or narcolepsy.. but I believe its the former.
its Yoruba name is "Jarunpa"

I love a peaceful sleep and can't imagine how I can cope with such a partner.. I witnessed the worst night of my life few days ago when I slept beside my immediate brother overnight.
normally we sleep in different rooms and so never minded his sleeping habit(I knew of it but considered it normal but now? I doubt it!)

We went out for an outing and when it was time to sleep, I decided to sleep beside my bro cause all other peeps there were strangers.
my bro sleeps late and will not wake up till very late in the morning on a free day(an usual habit tho) most of which involves enough hits/slaps and shouts before he even makes a move and then wake up(I am saying these cause I believe its a symptom of parasomnia) , I must have slept for about two- three hours before I started being kicked,jacked,pushed, either a leg is laid on me or a hand. I couldn't sleep, of all this disturbance it is being kicked I hated most. Throughout the night, i slapped,beat,cussed or pinched (bad i know sad ) him before he goes back to sleep normal but within few minutes, he starts again.

You know sleeping beside someone who constantly rolls,stretches either inwardly or legs/hands thereby pushing you on the bed. I don't know if I have given a good explanation.

me, I can't sleep with such a spouse!! I hate sleeping with people that drool or snore but God knows I will take a snoring partner to a parasonmiac ..

how do you cope with such a person? I need to help my brother out of it probably manage it. docs in house, your helps are needed too.

PS; I believe many people also move in few funny ways while sleeping(me inclusive) but I know its not to this level .
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 2:03pm On Nov 16, 2014
Men na seperate bedroom be that,i tresure my sleep,i don't entertain disturbances
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 2:06pm On Nov 16, 2014
mkpakanaodogwu:
Men na seperate bedroom be that,i tresure my sleep,i don't entertain disturbances
yes but for how long? if the need to sleep on the same bed arises, how will you cope?

I think such a person needs help.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by hannesy(f): 2:10pm On Nov 16, 2014
Sleep close to my sis and u willl know ur bro case is small

7 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 2:11pm On Nov 16, 2014
quivah:

yes but for how long? if the need to sleep on the same bed arises, how will you cope?

I think such a person needs help.
i will buy smalll foam,after the needful i will roll down on the floor as long as she doesn't snoore
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 2:25pm On Nov 16, 2014
hannesy:
Sleep close to my sis and u willl know ur bro case is small
for a lady? now that's some issue!.. don't you think its can be managed? or better still controlled? ..

mkpakanaodogwu:
i will buy smalll foam,after the needful i will roll down on the floor as long as she doesn't snoore
honestly? that won't help her or you.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 2:32pm On Nov 16, 2014
quivah:

for a lady? now that's some issue!.. don't you think its can be managed? or better still controlled? ..

honestly? that won't help her or you.

so in your own opinion what is the solution?,not as if to say he or she is doing it consciously
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by Mrfils(m): 4:21pm On Nov 16, 2014
IMO..he needs to start sleeping early.. Drink lots of water before going to bed so he can wake up at intervals to wee. Someone needs to also b sleeping close to him for d time being, so as to constantly make him aware grin of his actions.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 4:30pm On Nov 16, 2014
Mrfils:
IMO..he needs to start sleeping early.. Drink lots of water before going to bed so he can wake up at intervals to wee. Someone needs to also b sleeping close to him for d time being, so as to constantly make him aware grin of his actions.
hmmm this is cool .. it should work but will take a Lot of commitment sha ..

and someone sleeping beside him? to wake him up to wee or what? I don't get that cause he wakes up himself to wee(which is rarely tho) I mean have never noticed that. make him aware of his sleeping habit? he knows that cause constantly it is being rang into his ears by my 2nd bro who sleeps with him.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 4:31pm On Nov 16, 2014
mkpakanaodogwu:
so in your own opinion what is the solution?,not as if to say he or she is doing it consciously
actually the only opinion I have is , such a person needs help.

was told it could be sleep apnea, but dear its far from it. yeah! it is not conscious .
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by Mrfils(m): 4:52pm On Nov 16, 2014
quivah:

hmmm this is cool .. it should work but will take a Lot of commitment sha ..

and someone sleeping beside him? to wake him up to wee or what? I don't get that cause he wakes up himself to wee(which is rarely tho) I mean have never noticed that. make him aware of his sleeping habit? he knows that cause constantly it is being rang into his ears by my 2nd bro who sleeps with him.
Yeah, commitment is key here. Someone waking him up not necessarily to wee but to alert him whenever he begins. Waking up at intervals at night will mean he won't get to sleep deep anymore (probably d reason u haven't noticed him going to wee)

And abt deep sleeping, trust me I had my fair share of weeing on d bed smiley
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 6:51pm On Nov 16, 2014
quivah:

actually the only opinion I have is , such a person needs help.

was told it could be sleep apnea, but dear its far from it. yeah! it is not conscious .
ok dear
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by Nobody: 7:05pm On Nov 16, 2014
What about those that laugh or cry while sleeping?
Laughmania abi crymania?
I'm serious o.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 9:50pm On Nov 16, 2014
moca:
What about those that laugh or cry while sleeping?
Laughmania abi crymania?
I'm serious o.
I know about those who do that ..I think its part of narcolepsy.

and I believe everybody does that at some point sha .. prolly they were dreaming.
I remember my mum asking me one morning what I dreamt about..cause in the last night I kept talking,saying 'in Jesus name.'

if its once in a blue moon..guess its normal but always , risky!
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 9:52pm On Nov 16, 2014
Mrfils:

Yeah, commitment is key here. Someone waking him up not necessarily to wee but to alert him whenever he begins. Waking up at intervals at night will mean he won't get to sleep deep anymore (probably d reason u haven't noticed him going to wee)

And abt deep sleeping, trust me I had my fair share of weeing on d bed smiley
you know waking him up with screams, hits and slaps will get tiring at some point. but I concur especially with the bolded

PS; he doesnt wee o
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by segend(m): 10:05pm On Nov 16, 2014
I tend to do this when am sleeping in an unfavorable condition, like if the weather is hot. well, when i marry, i probably will sleep in a separate room on such days
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by tobechi74: 10:09pm On Nov 16, 2014
Kill her
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 10:28pm On Nov 16, 2014
segend:
I tend to do this when am sleeping in an unfavorable condition, like if the weather is hot. well, when i marry, i probably will sleep in a separate room on such days
hmmm so the environment could be another reason..

you mean you know when such sleeping act comes? then it can be controlled. if heat is the problem,instead of running away.. get a measure.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 10:29pm On Nov 16, 2014
tobechi74:
Kill her
lol it is well.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by Mrfils(m): 10:41pm On Nov 16, 2014
quivah:

you know waking him up with screams, hits and slaps will get tiring at some point. but I concur especially with the bolded

PS; he doesnt wee o
grin grin never said he does.. Goodluck.

Trust me, it'll pass

All will be well smiley
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by Hollyb(f): 4:18pm On Nov 17, 2014
the person should sleep face down. Thats is lying on his tummy
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 5:26pm On Nov 17, 2014
Hollyb:
the person should sleep face down. Thats is lying on his tummy
hmm

me without this condition can't sleep comfortably in that position sef .. but if you said this cause comfortability is part of the reason for the condition then I concur ..

thanks
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 5:26pm On Nov 17, 2014
Mrfils:

grin grin never said he does.. Goodluck.

Trust me, it'll pass

All will be well smiley
thanks bro
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by thorpido(m): 5:37pm On Nov 17, 2014
I'm afraid you really can't do anything about these kinds of people.I have slept on the same bed with a few.You slap or pinch them and it takes some time before they wake.
you just have to get a separate bed to sleep on.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by Hollyb(f): 5:39pm On Nov 17, 2014
quivah:

hmm

me without this condition can't sleep comfortably in that position sef .. but if you said this cause comfortability is part of the reason for the condition then I concur ..

thanks
you,re welcome
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by Nobody: 11:57am On Dec 28, 2014
@Op, na ur brother abi na ur boyfriend??
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 28, 2014
Tie the person to the bed.

Problem solved,thank me later.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 4:16pm On Dec 29, 2014
thorpido:
I'm afraid you really can't do anything about these kinds of people.I have slept on the same bed with a few.You slap or pinch them and it takes some time before they wake.
you just have to get a separate bed to sleep on.
hmm la wah then

thanks for dropping in sire
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 4:17pm On Dec 29, 2014
woski417:
@Op, na ur brother abi na ur boyfriend??
my brother undecided

Yomieluv:
Tie the person to the bed.
Problem solved,thank me later.
lol undecided oga yomi.. no be for here o
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by netotse(m): 4:37pm On Dec 29, 2014
@quivah

Hi, looked around on Wikipedia, this is what I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_limb_movement_disorder,
you might want to check mayo clinic and other more scientifically/medically correct websites*, better to be armed with correct info.

*Peer review on Wikipedia possibly isn't as stringent as on built-for-purpose websites.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by quivah(f): 7:47pm On Dec 29, 2014
netotse:
@quivah

Hi, looked around on Wikipedia, this is what I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_limb_movement_disorder,
you might want to check mayo clinic and other more scientifically/medically correct websites*, better to be armed with correct info.

*Peer review on Wikipedia possibly isn't as stringent as on built-for-purpose websites.
thanks much... will check it out asap
Re: How Do You Deal With A Partner With Parasomnia by Nobody: 7:56pm On Dec 29, 2014
quivah:
I don't know if it is parasomnia or narcolepsy.. but I believe its the former.
its Yoruba name is "Jarunpa"

I love a peaceful sleep and can't imagine how I can cope with such a partner.. I witnessed the worst night of my life few days ago when I slept beside my immediate brother overnight.
normally we sleep in different rooms and so never minded his sleeping habit(I knew of it but considered it normal but now? I doubt it!)

We went out for an outing and when it was time to sleep, I decided to sleep beside my bro cause all other peeps there were strangers.
my bro sleeps late and will not wake up till very late in the morning on a free day(an usual habit tho) most of which involves enough hits/slaps and shouts before he even makes a move and then wake up(I am saying these cause I believe its a symptom of parasomnia) , I must have slept for about two- three hours before I started being kicked,jacked,pushed, either a leg is laid on me or a hand. I couldn't sleep, of all this disturbance it is being kicked I hated most. Throughout the night, i slapped,beat,cussed or pinched (bad i know sad ) him before he goes back to sleep normal but within few minutes, he starts again.

You know sleeping beside someone who constantly rolls,stretches either inwardly or legs/hands thereby pushing you on the bed. I don't know if I have given a good explanation.

me, I can't sleep with such a spouse!! I hate sleeping with people that drool or snore but God knows I will take a snoring partner to a parasonmiac ..

how do you cope with such a person? I need to help my brother out of it probably manage it. docs in house, your helps are needed too.

PS; I believe many people also move in few funny ways while sleeping(me inclusive) but I know its not to this level .
U see quivah i no understand ur super story at all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Toothpaste Broke Marriage! / . / GET CREATIVE CONTENT at amazing rates!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.