Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,961 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:04 AM

Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. (2193 Views)

Challenge Go All Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers / Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. / Atheists, Agnostics And Open Minded Persons. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by plaetton: 3:51pm On Sep 09, 2013
Death is something that no one ever wishes to plan for, let alone the rituals that follow after the fact.

In our society, death is something that most people are afraid to discuss , let alone plan for.
We seem to have fear of death that borders on the irrational.

I was just inspired to write this post by an article on the christian burial of our late great author and champion of African traditional heritage, Prof. Chinua Achebe.

The article laments, and I agree, that the family of the late great man made a horrible compromise by giving the Chinua Achebe a christian burial.
This , no doubts, constitutes a great betrayal of all that the man stood for in his very enriching lifetime.

This kind of thing is a betrayal and a great tragedy for those of us whose minds were touched and stirred by the writings and the intellectual grit of Chinua Achebe.
It is like a one step forward and two steps backward scenario.

So, it makes me begin to think about my own mortality and how my own values and worldview should be respected, even at death.

So,
My atheists and Pagan brethren, fellow soldiers of reason, rationality, scientific temper and preservers of African heritage,
how do you plan to be buried?

This is extremely important given that all of us are surrounded by christian family members.
What plans, if any, do you have to insure that you are not christianized at death?

Of course, most will say that whatever happens after death is immaterial and not of great concern.
But I say that it is.
Why else do family and relatives go through great lengths to give a decent burial?

How do you insure that your burial is not first turned into a baptism session, then followed by church services, endless fake prayers, and maddening hymns and choruses to the imaginary stone-age god of the middleast ?

3 Likes

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by UyiIredia(m): 3:58pm On Sep 09, 2013
You can go for cryogenics, or donate your body to the lab, or donate some of your organs and cremate the remains of your corpse. My sis studies Physiology and getting corpses is a problem since they are expensive, from 70k depending on the state, and they aren't recent. Naturally, recent corpses are preferred.
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by plaetton: 4:00pm On Sep 09, 2013
Uyi Iredia: You can go for cryogenics, or donate your body to the lab, or donate some of your organs and cremate the remains of your corpse. My sis studies Physiology and getting corpses is a problem since they are expensive, from 70k depending on the state, and they aren't recent. Naturally, recent corpses are preferred.

What about you?
You are not a christian.
How do you prevent being re-converted to christianity at your death?
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 4:08pm On Sep 09, 2013
Uyi Iredia: You can go for cryogenics, or donate your body to the lab, or donate some of your organs and cremate the remains of your corpse. My sis studies Physiology and getting corpses is a problem since they are expensive, from 70k depending on the state, and they aren't recent. Naturally, recent corpses are preferred.

If somebody is willing to give my family 70k, they can have my corpse when I die. Where do I sign?

4 Likes

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Ajibam: 4:18pm On Sep 09, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

If somebody is willing to give my family 70k, they can have my corpse when I die. Where do I sign?
Your family needs money badly gan ooo..
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 09, 2013
Donate my organs to people who need them.

Then bury mevin my house with family and few friends

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 09, 2013
Logicboy03: Donate my organs to people who need them.

Then bury mevin my house with family and few friends
mevin?

Who needs your organ anyways... Mscheeww...
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2013
aManFromMars:
mevin?

Who needs your organ anyways... Mscheeww...

Sorry....‘me in’

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2013

Hmm, thanks for the info. We all hope to die in such a way that our organs can still be used by someone else.
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by plaetton: 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2013
In Nigeria, we are still far from that level.
Unless you wanna donate your organs to money ritualists. lol

I am referring specifically to burial rites.

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by UyiIredia(m): 7:18pm On Sep 09, 2013
plaetton: In Nigeria, we are still far from that level.
Unless you wanna donate your organs to money ritualists. lol

I am referring specifically to burial rites.

Not as before. The Lagos state government built two crematories. When confronted with the fact that Nigerians don't like it Fashola argues that at a point we would have to let go of that sentiment, especially when burial grounds become scarce or expensive. It so happens I will prefer to donate organs and be cremated. People poking my n*de dead body ain't comforting. I prefer cremation. No need for rites, too complex, feel free to pray and do a remembrance using my ashes, I could ask it be scattered round my mum's grave.

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:35pm On Sep 09, 2013
Ajibam:
Your family needs money badly gan ooo..

Yours need Jizz-Us. No wonder you are a pauper.

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:45pm On Sep 09, 2013
Food for maggots and worn.
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Ajibam: 7:50pm On Sep 09, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

Yours need Jizz-Us. No wonder you are a pauper.

Lol..I see..
Praise master Jesus
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by italo: 10:03pm On Sep 09, 2013
It wont be you being buried; why worry? If you didnt exist when that tiny heart was beating in your mother's womb, you surely wont exist when the same heart lies still in that coffin....Atheist!
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by MrTroll(m): 10:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
Organ donation and cremation.

Ajibam:

Lol..I see..
Praise master Jesus
Can you attempt answering the OP? Or is it beyond your intellectual capability?

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Ajibam: 10:52pm On Sep 09, 2013
Mr Troll: Organ donation and cremation.

Can you attempt answering the OP? Or is it beyond your intellectual capability?

Proverb26vs17
17 Interfering in someone else’s argument
is as foolish as yanking a dog’s ears.
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:56am On Sep 10, 2013
Ajibam:

Proverb26vs17

Isaiah 1:18
King James Bible
Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD:......

PROVERBS 25 VS 9 Debate thy cause with thy neighbour himself; and discover not a secret to another:

Drunk with Christinsanity

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Nobody: 4:08am On Sep 10, 2013
italo: It wont be you being buried; why worry? If you didnt exist when that tiny heart was beating in your mother's womb, you surely wont exist when the same heart lies still in that coffin....Atheist!

Trololo

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Averroes: 7:51am On Sep 10, 2013
CREMATION
Organ donation is not a method of burial.
My organs will probably be useless by then.

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Ajibam: 9:02am On Sep 10, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

King James Bible
not with ignorAnt people

PROVERBS 25 VS 9 Debate thy cause with thy neighbour himself; and discover not a secret to another:

Proverb26vs4
4 Don’t answer the foolish arguments of fools,
or you will become as foolish as they are.
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by MrTroll(m): 9:05am On Sep 10, 2013
Ajibam:

Proverb26vs17
so what exactly were you doing here? Seeing as christian was not mentioned here, nevertheless we always welcome sensible contributions from anybody but still we get neither from you. So, what exactly are you doing here?

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 10, 2013
Trolling...

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by MrTroll(m): 9:41am On Sep 10, 2013
Don't you just miss Anony cry never thought I would but...sad
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Ajibam: 9:47am On Sep 10, 2013
Mr Troll: so what exactly were you doing here? Seeing as christian was not mentioned here, nevertheless we always welcome sensible contributions from anybody but still we get neither from you. So, what exactly are you doing here?

I go through all threads as a mod
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Nobody: 9:50am On Sep 10, 2013
Ajibam:

Really?

1 Like

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Ajibam: 11:53am On Sep 10, 2013
aManFromMars:

Really?

Yes boss!!!
Na just hyper-statement
It means most!!!
Smh
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 10, 2013
**Yawns**

undecided
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by MrTroll(m): 12:51pm On Sep 10, 2013
Ajibam:

it doesn't mean you must contribute. If you have nothing sensible to say just read through and pass. Stop trolling, you're ruining my ministry angry

3 Likes

Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Ajibam: 1:26pm On Sep 10, 2013
Mr Troll: it doesn't mean you must contribute. If you have nothing sensible to say just read through and pass. Stop trolling, you're ruining my ministry angry

Sorry boss
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by Bella3(f): 1:27pm On Sep 10, 2013
Mr Troll: it doesn't mean you must contribute. If you have nothing sensible to say just read through and pass. Stop trolling, you're ruining my ministry angry
gringrin
Re: Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. by turnstoner(m): 4:36pm On Sep 10, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

King James Bible

Ha ha ha..

isn't it funny how you can find a verse to support any argument you like?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ladies - Dont Use Hillshoes To Church, God Hates It / Question For The Theologians, Atheist And Agnostics / Misconceptions About The Baptism And Gifts Of The Holy Spirit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.