Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

How Glo Rescued Nigerians And Gained A Foothold - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Glo Rescued Nigerians And Gained A Foothold (1143 Views)

What Have You Gained From MTN Since You Purchased Your Sim Card? / How I Rescued My Mobile Contacts From Armed Bandits / How Glo Charged Me 137 Naira For A 27 Seconds Local Call (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Glo Rescued Nigerians And Gained A Foothold by Olumidzti(m): 12:06am On Sep 10, 2013
When I initially thought of writing this post, I didn’t know that Globacom just celebrated its tenth year anniversary of operations in Nigeria.

The special thing is not that it celebrated ten years but unlike MTN, Airtel and Etisalat, Glo is a
Nigerian company which is owned by billionaire
businessman Mike Adenuga.

Globacom mobile limited
Glo started operations in Nigeria on the 29th of August, 2003. In less than a year, Globacom became the fastest growing telecoms company after
reaching its target of 1 million customers in a year with 3 months to spare.

Prior to the beginning of
Globacom’s operations, MTN, Mtel (which is no more in existence) and Airtel (which was Econet then and has changed
names countless times before airtel) were already in the new Nigerian telecommunications market.

Today, Globacom has gone to become the second biggest telecommunications company in Nigeria with a customer base of over 25 million people.

Now, someone may be
wondering how Glo rescued Nigerians when there were already three (one is no more in existence) telecoms companies before Glo entered the market.

When the mobile phone
telecommunications companies first came into Nigeria about more than a decade ago, it was
a status symbol to have a
cellphone and a working line then.

The lowest feature phones (without colour screens and camera) were as expensive as 20,000 naira and you had to buy a SIM card which was as
expensive as 15,000 naira for the early users.

Imagine how expensive it was to own a mobile phone then. After all these, call rates were in
per minute plans which means customers are not charged correctly for the amount of time they use on calls.

This is where Glo made its first impact. Glo was the first telecommunications company in Nigeria to introduce the per second billing plan. This drove the amount people spent on calls down from as high as 50 naira in a minute to as low as 15 naira in recent times.

You will also spend less than the 15 naira if you use less than a minute, an option which was not available before.

Very soon, the price of SIM cards started falling and today, you can get some SIM cards free. Glo
was also at the centre of this after it began selling SIM cards for a considerably cheaper price than other operators.

Glo has also become the first telecommunications company to lay a submarine cable, Glo-1 (a
9,800km long cable) into Nigeria from the United Kingdom. This is in a bid to improve its range of services to Nigerians. Glo was the first individual African company to embark on such a
project.

Presently, Glo has the largest roaming for voice and data in Africa with connection to 72 networks in 29 countries.
Glo has since started operations in Benin Republic and Ghana
and has also obtained a license in Ivory Coast. Indeed, the giant
telecommunications company is really making progress on its aim to be the biggest and best
African telecommunications
network.

The issue young people used to have with Glo is the ease of internet connectivity and I think
that may have been settled with recent tariff plans like the Glo Bounce
that gives data on recharge.

Thanks to Glo which has been unlimited and more grease to Mike Adenuga’s elbows for the initiative to make life easier for
Nigerians.

http://www.lolade.com/2013/09/how-glo-rescued-nigerians-and-gained-a-foothold.html

2 Likes

Re: How Glo Rescued Nigerians And Gained A Foothold by luluosas(m): 4:59am On Sep 10, 2013
I concur.
Re: How Glo Rescued Nigerians And Gained A Foothold by Lagusta(m): 7:35am On Sep 10, 2013
I'll be happy if glo provides better and cheaper alternatives for data, Cos the glo bounce 30MB ish is not it at all.......

Imagine using up the 30MB within 30mins.......
Re: How Glo Rescued Nigerians And Gained A Foothold by Olumidzti(m): 2:42pm On Sep 10, 2013
Lagusta: I'll be happy if glo provides better and cheaper alternatives for data, Cos the glo bounce 30MB ish is not it at all.......

Imagine using up the 30MB within 30mins.......
eerm you can use 30mb in 30mins, it depends on what you're using it for..
Re: How Glo Rescued Nigerians And Gained A Foothold by tonyx4x44(m): 3:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
unlimited in what way network coverage 'cos i aint getting unlimited data

@Olumidzti on android using 30mb in 5mins is very easy. #3g
Re: How Glo Rescued Nigerians And Gained A Foothold by Mustay(m): 5:23pm On Sep 10, 2013
I don't see anything new here.b Of course, Glo introduced PSB when others told us it wasn't feasible etc but this article looks like a 'boot-licking' one. I don't understand what you mean by 'unlimited' - what have they been giving us that is unlimited Swooosh

Anyways, Glo needs to work on their network - dead calls, jammed calls etc and their customer service. So many times that you call a number on Glo and you're probably hearing what your brother up north is saying angry
Re: How Glo Rescued Nigerians And Gained A Foothold by Olumidzti(m): 3:07am On Sep 11, 2013
tonyx4x44: unlimited in what way network coverage 'cos i aint getting unlimited data

@Olumidzti on android using 30mb in 5mins is very easy. #3g
unlimited doesn't mean you get unlimited data/calls. I lifted the term 'unlimited' from their new motto.

(1) (Reply)

Tips On How To Charge A Newly Purchased Phone To Make Battery Last Longer / Another Awesome From Konga Nigeria: Spark SP C002 / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.