Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Rap Music Is Horrible. - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Rap Music Is Horrible. (5332 Views)

I Am The First Nigerian Artiste To Make Money From Rap Music - Ruggedman / Nigerian Music Is Better Than America's / Enya's Music Is Satanic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Rap Music Is Horrible. by davidif: 7:19am On Jun 18, 2008
Can someone tell me this, why are rappers always rapping about ho's, bitches, niggas? then this are the same people who cry foul when oyinbo man go call them niggas. Truth of the matter is that hip-hop is a very bad influence to young African-American men, in fact, black men in general. The genre degrades women (as seen in the Nelly video where he swiped a credit card through a woman's butt crack) angry  Even in naija, people have started calling themselves the N-word or sagging there pants or stealing from there parents (including school fees) or robbing people (including "obtaining" juniors in sec. school) to buy jewelry's, jerseys, rocawear's, sean john's or snickers. In the 90's a lot Naija girls were getting their fashion sense from the rap or R&B videos and dressing like people of ill repute (don't let me say what was on my mind  ). The most annoying part of it is when my siblings or my  friends back home tell me to buy them baggy jeans or jordan snickers which usually cost over $200!!!!! (snickers ko, sandals ni). In urban america, its worse because a lot of families there are in shambles (75% of African-Americans are born out of wedlock), the kids learn a lot of corrupting influences from rap music, they don't want to go to school any longer because when they watch Fiddy, Ludacris or Weezy in the videos glorifying the gangsta lifestyle rapping about ho's and pimps (the worst creatures on earth), they too want to be like that because there is no glory in staying up all night typing a project.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by chasisgirl(f): 1:28pm On Jun 18, 2008
am i the only one thinking that this guy no get medulla,, the worst part he is in yankee.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by davidif: 6:34pm On Jun 18, 2008
hey, hey WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO ME and who are you? keep your insults to yourself, we are trying to start an intelligent conversation not name calling. By the way, not everybody in yanki loves rap music, in fact a lot of people  HATE IT.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by bgees(m): 6:41pm On Jun 18, 2008
Davidf is just seeking attention.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by bgees(m): 6:47pm On Jun 18, 2008
You call this an intelligent conversation?

You are just ignorant. How old are u?
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by chiogo(f): 7:17pm On Jun 18, 2008
Well @ poster, I get ur point. I know most rap music videos degrade women but those women were not forced, y'know? So, hey! They get paid for what they do, that's why they're called video hoes/models/vixens. And not all rappers rap about this stuff you're talking about. Yes, most do but there are definitely rappers who rap about the world in general too. There's Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, Nas, etc. Even the so-called ones who rap about hoes have once sung about other stuff too at a point. I don't think there's a singer or rapper out there who keeps singin/rappin only bout sex, money, and whatnot. Look well and you'd see that these rappers also got nice songs which someone like you can relate to. As for ur comment about Naija pple stealin after watchin rap music videos, that's a big joke. You don't have to watch rap videos to steal, people have been stealin all over the world even before they knew what rap was. So, homie, rap got nothin to do with stealin. The funny thing tho is that y'all believe all u watch in rap videos. Most of these rappers ain't really that 'tough' or 'hood'. They just portray themselves as such and d viewers believe. If they're so hood, they wouldn't be buyin houses in malibu and shit. They would want their kids to grow up in the so-called hood but no.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by A40(m): 8:12pm On Jun 18, 2008
@davidif
On what grounds?Not all rap and if you where smart you wouldnt generalise
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jun 18, 2008
You see, the statement "Rap Music Is Horrible" is a horrible statement. And very wrong. Take a look at the rap below. It's a song titled "Praying For You" by Lacrae. And tell me and the rest of Nairaland that it's bad.

Father God, I'm prayin' to you for somebody, who knows you Lord but just hasn't, hasn't been seein' you in the right view lately, Hear me out,

Father, I'm prayin' for a friend he and I are pretty close, and out of all my friends for this one I'm concerned the most. He say he readin' daily but he ain't really learnin'. He been in church but say that he ain't moved by any sermon. His face weak, he ain't prayed in a week, he wake up and just weep with his face in the sink Lord, you gotta help my man, I'm prayin' for him daily, he ain't sinned but it just seem as if he goin' crazy. He say he feelin' trapped, can't even head up the mall coz every lady's half-dressed temptin' him to lust and fall. He keep the TV off, videos just make him feel that he ain't really nothin' without money, girls and shiny wheels. The other day he told me that he felt less a man coz he ain't have a five-year plan or a piece of land and man it's crazy coz his family think so much of him, plus he got a godly wife who always showin' love for him but he's strugglin', even though he talk to me, I tell him what to do but he don't listen when he oughta' be. I'm scared for him coz there's people that look up to him, he got some younger siblings who been changed by what he's done for them but is it done for him, Lord don't let it be, if he don't wanna talk to you then Father hear from me, is it done for him, Lord don't let it be, if he don't wanna talk to you then Father hear from me,

Yeah, I'm prayin' for you, yeah, I'm prayin' for you
Yeah, I'm prayin' for you, yeah, yeah, I'm prayin' for you,

God, his condition is worsen since we were last conversed and I'm with him now and he ain't doin' well and this I'm certain. He say he tryna' trust you, doesn't wanna disgust you but he was in the mist of sinners and did not discuss you and just today his anxiety's got the best of him, he knows Christ but for hours refuse to rest in Him, he's not the best of men but Lord I know he really loves you and I can't understand why lately he's not thinkin' of you. People trust this dude, you could crush this dude, Father he needs more of you I pray you touch this dude, what can I say to him? I'm determined to pray for him Father empty and brake him I pray you'll just have your way with him, coz there's a change in him and the effects are strong, I pray you open up his heart before the next song and when he gets home, I pray he'll open up the sixty-six book love letter you wrote and soak it up coz he ain't hearin' You and he ain't feelin' me and God I know it's killin' You because it's killin' me and matter of fact there's somethin' else he's concealin' see, the person that I've been prayin' about is really me,

Yeah, I'm prayin' for you, yeah, I'm prayin' for you
Yeah, I'm prayin' for you, yeah, yeah, I'm prayin' for you,

What's your take? Is "Rap Music" still "Horrible"?
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Shaz(f): 10:32pm On Jun 18, 2008
Thanks, Mactao & Chiogo, I couldn't have put it better. YES! RAP IS HORRIBLE to HoRrIBl3 P3opl3
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Shaz(f): 10:35pm On Jun 18, 2008
But y'all try to be fair and read the guy's opinion

[quote="Davidif"] The most annoying part of it is when my siblings or my  friends back home tell me to buy them baggy jeans or jordan snickers which usually cost over $200!!!!! (snickers ko, sandals ni). [/quote]

He doesn't want to spend on his siblings that's why he's cussin RAP. . stingy man
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by LASIEFAIRE(m): 10:52pm On Jun 18, 2008
Conscious rap to me is about the most influencial genre of music
Rappers like Common: Song for assata, the light
                    Talib Kweli: Going hard, black girl pain, I try, Get by
                    Mos Def
                    Phroah monch
                    The Roots.
listen to their words uplift your soul.

alittle of common's lyrics
joss stone feat. common
: Right now lets stay in the present
Can't worry bout tomorrow cause today is a blessin
The world in a state of aggression
I find calm in you
I see my mom in you
It's like a feelin' in ya stomach
when you want it so bad
If we keep keeping it fresh
it ain't going to go bad
I've been through the valley of love
Rode through the shores of Cali
just to find peace of mind
Looking to the sky
asking for at least a sign
Beautiful you came at such a decent time
When we combine it's like good food and wine
Flavorful yet refined
You remind me of the divine
So easy
Love can be lost and then found, like Stevie
I just love having you around
you wearing the gown
I'm wearing the crown
pound for pound
we the freshest couple in town   

jamie foxx feat common:
Take a look at my lady, and my day began to shine.
Told her, "Baby being beautiful is a state of mind, and you are."
So, had to let your mind and your heart know, as you grow, the more, the more I see God glow.
I know it's probably strange, seeing your body change.
Can't fit your clothes, nose ain't the same.
But love still remains, it won't vary with me.
Look at you and smile, thinkin' Damn she carry a me!
A life we created, we can cherish forever.
You growin, but it's sexy, the sex is even better.
But through thick and thin, pickles and peanut butter, is a divine mother, queen and supreme lover,
You still got it

Talib is on another level just go listen to the Album Beautiful Struggle and educate yourself
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by BayoMaya(m): 6:44am On Jun 19, 2008
Go listen to fuji and apala now, na by force?
are all 2pac songs like that? Better dayz, smile, dear mama, baby dont cry. Man you dont classify all
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by chasisgirl(f): 11:26am On Jun 19, 2008
chasis singing , rap and hiphop saved my life ,
.and david says he hates rap? david i hate you, lalalalalaala, chasis continues singing , lalalalal, a
hiphop has saved my life grin
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Jackal(m): 6:42pm On Jun 19, 2008
@ Davidif,

U talk whole loads of bollocks.
RAP is LIFE.
You don't have to like it. . . . . I am not a fan of rock and country music too.
So, get a dog. . . get a LIFE. grin cheesy
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by javalove(m): 6:56pm On Jun 19, 2008
Lets not crucify this guy abeg!!!! I get the angle he's coming from. He needs to be educated and not yabbed. He has just written what he feels about rap so let him be, but

RAP in iys originality stands for rhymes and poetry. The american culure naturally in music, movies, novels and all potrays just SEX AND VIOLENCE. It means that the culture has affected every area of their life and RAP is not an exception. The Nigerian culture doesnt potray that nor the UK or english culture. There are a few rappers in yankee who are POET rappers, that is what we mean by keeping it real. Not taking the originality away (poetry). (KRS-ONE, Common, Talib Kweli etc) and thise keeping it r"eal hardly sell. It;s those that potray what americans or the world wants to hear that sell, even here in nigeria.

and wkipedia had this to add,

"Hip hop music is a genre of music typically consisting of a rhythmic style of speaking called rap over backing beats performed on a turntable by a DJ"

So don't judge rap by what you see, just as i would not judge your thinking with your post. I LOVE POETRY. I LOVE RAP. I LOVE MODENINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Bamsyle(m): 3:49pm On Jun 20, 2008
@javalove
[b]So don't judge rap by what you see, just as i would not judge your thinking with your post. I LOVE POETRY. I LOVE RAP. I LOVE MODENINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![[/b]quote][quote][/quote]

javalove, again?!!!! Well, I ain't on your case bro.

@davidif
RAP is LIFE , pay closer attention to a whole lotta poetic verses from peops like Nas, Common, Mos' Def, etc. and especially tha DON KILLUMINATI himself, TUPAC (his reflective stuff like Dear Mama, Brenda's Got A Baby, Changes - how many will I count).

Ain't no better musical style for self-expression than Rap , quote me.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by javalove(m): 3:56pm On Jun 20, 2008
Bamsyle:

@javalove
So don't judge rap by what you see, just as i would not judge your thinking with your post. I LOVE POETRY. I LOVE RAP. I LOVE MODENINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![

javalove, again?!!!! Well, I ain't on your case bro.

lol, is it a crime to express maself, i gbadun d guy and i won't hide that fact. I can say it anywhere. he's the only one in naija that does RAP as it should be done. The examples of NAS, Common, Don killuminati, tupac and all that u gave, which naija artiste can u rate closer to them? Its modenine
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Bamsyle(m): 5:45pm On Jun 20, 2008
@javalove
Easy my guy, I mostly share your views on Rap but the way you keep going on about Modenine, the average observer would suspect you're 9 himself. Modenine is good with lyrics but for me, that's as good as it gets. I especially like his raps/style on "Fellow Nigerians" and "Head". But he still needs a lotta improvement in some areas - especially his "flow rhythm/timing". No Nigerian rapper comes anything close to Biggie (don of flows), Nas, et al on this level. 'Flow' is a very vital aspect of rap.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by TOH(f): 5:49pm On Jun 20, 2008
whenever I see Naija guys calling themselves "niggas", I wanna throw up.

So embarrassing
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by LadyT(f): 5:49pm On Jun 20, 2008
Bwahahahahaha@TOH
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by TOH(f): 5:53pm On Jun 20, 2008
Hello T kiss

I agree with davidif for the most part

and I think it's funny that people think that by posting one of two "un vulgar" songs that will change our minds. Abegi go and sit down
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Bamsyle(m): 6:25pm On Jun 20, 2008
I agree with davidif for the most part
@TOH

I'm interested in the part you don't agree with. wink
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by TOH(f): 6:28pm On Jun 20, 2008
well I disgree with the title. It implies all rap songs are the same which isnt true. But yea alot of the popular rap songs are complete trash.

They dont know what to sing about anymore. Now they just make animl sounds.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jun 20, 2008
Rap music is not horrible it's just that there are a lot of horrible, annoying and idiotic rap artistes out there.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Bamsyle(m): 6:35pm On Jun 20, 2008
Very apt TOH, can't agree more. But I bet you like some of the reflective rap songs like Dear Mama, Keep Ya Head Up by Tupac, don't you?
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by eldee(m): 6:47pm On Jun 20, 2008
@Davidif
I think your hate rap for all the WRONG reasons
As sumone pointed out earlier. . .rap is not as black as painted

I don't understand how people manage to sweep emo suicides under the carpet and talk about 'nigga'
How can we ignore the one-man homocides by goths and discuss 'crunk'

Other genres have done more harm to this world than rap, but still rappers face unecessary attacks
Let's even take a trip to rehabs

Rap is arguably the most creative genre of music
It's a easy as listen or don't listen

And bout the new artistes?
Do y'all know that Nas, Pac, Public Enemies and the other conscious rappers swear more than the crunk ones
It's all about making your point the best way you can
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Bamsyle(m): 7:01pm On Jun 20, 2008
@eldee
Hmm! Eldee the rapper. You're so passionate 'bout it - I feel you bro.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by javalove(m): 2:39pm On Jun 24, 2008
Bamsyle:

@javalove
Easy my guy, I mostly share your views on Rap but the way you keep going on about Modenine, the average observer would suspect you're 9 himself. Modenine is good with lyrics but for me, that's as good as it gets. I especially like his raps/style on "Fellow Nigerians" and "Head". But he still needs a lotta improvement in some areas - especially his "flow rhythm/timing". No Nigerian rapper comes anything close to Biggie (don of flows), Nas, et al on this level. 'Flow' is a very vital aspect of rap.

lol . . . u r right jare but the thing is that I'm not modenine. I dont know wat has come over me sef cheesy I'm addicted to the guy maybe because he's the first naija rapper to come with that kind of style which I feel in Common, KRS-ONE and all dem poetic rappers. Knowing that we have our own who does almost same is good news to me. I luv everything about poetry. i write poems, read poems and listen to intelligent pple. Modenine is a poet. Modenine is intelligent. I gbadun everything about him dats why u always c me talk about him in almost all my posts, Its takes some level of exposure and intelligence to decipher some of his lyrics. e.g Pentium IX and some others.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by onyinye2(f): 2:43pm On Jun 24, 2008
how can you say that rap music is horrible?? these rappers are just describing what they go through day in and out. and who says all they talk about are the things you mentioned?? brotha go educate yourself with REAL rap music. and mind i tell you that hip-hop and rap are not the same thing.
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by eldee(m): 3:46pm On Jun 24, 2008
javalove:

I love everything about poetry. i write poems, read poems and listen to intelligent people. Modenine is a poet. Modenine is intelligent. I gbadun everything about him that is why u always c me talk about him in almost all my posts, Its takes some level of exposure and intelligence to decipher some of his lyrics. e.g Pentium IX and some others.
C'mon, don't push it, anyone that's intelligent enough to type 'www.nairaland.com' is mos def intelligent enough to understand his lines. . .

And please don't start that thing on poetry. . .believe me, if you see poets ehn. . .u sef go fear [size=2pt]me and you must fight today[/size] grin grin

Bamsyle:

@eldee
Hmm! Eldee the rapper. You're so passionate 'bout it - I feel you bro.
Hehehe. . .abeg I'm not the rapper ooh
I just hate it when pple spew fuckeries about my fave music genre cheesy
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Bamsyle(m): 5:53pm On Jun 24, 2008
wink Cool talk Eldee - it only takes a listening ear to decipher Modenine's themes, lyrics, messages, etc. If I can "feel" Tupac, Nas and some other very poetic minds, then 9 is just too easy for me to feel. All said and done, I appreciate our Nigerian talents but if there's a need to up ones game, let's say it as it is. I strongly feel 9 needs to improve (if one praises him beyond his present level, he won't improve; he'll get complacent).

Back to thread, I'm happy that rap is getting more supportive votes with the latest posts. If one is to gather opinion polls on rap, it sure won't suffer like obasanjo's 3rd term attempt. RAP IS GREAT!!!!!!
Re: Rap Music Is Horrible. by Jackal(m): 6:02pm On Jun 24, 2008
eldee:

@Davidif
I think your hate rap for all the WRONG reasons
As sumone pointed out earlier. . .rap is not as black as painted

I don't understand how people manage to sweep emo suicides under the carpet and talk about 'nigga'
How can we ignore the one-man homocides by goths and discuss 'crunk'

Other genres have done more harm to this world than rap, but still rappers face unecessary attacks
Let's even take a trip to rehabs

Rap is arguably the most creative genre of music
It's a easy as listen or don't listen

And bout the new artistes?
Do y'all know that Nas, Pac, Public Enemies and the other conscious rappers swear more than the crunk ones
It's all about making your point the best way you can

These cats dunno what they talking about. . . . .
I learnt more stuffs from RAP MUSIC than formal education.
When u relax n listen to intellectuals like NAS, Can-I-Bus, Common, Lauryn Hill then they would know RAP aint only about VIOLENCE.

What other genre of music cuts across every sphere of life: Violence, Drugs, Politics, Black Consciousness, Guns, Love, Family and what not??
Isn't that better than the boring shit we hear everyday from R-n-B music n Rock. . . It's all about MAKING LOVE n BREAKING UP.
What can i possible learn from Boyz II Men or Neyo? Tssssssssssk. . . . Tsssssssk angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Show Dem Camp Ft Funbi - Up 2 You Mp3 Download / Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 / List Of TOP Nigerian Djs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.