Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,659 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? (16780 Views)

The Mentality Of Muslim Girls About Marrying A Christian Guy Is Annoying / A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians / Should A True Christian Guy Wear Earrings And Plait His Hair.? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 11, 2013
Firstly, I'm not sure where to post this topic, maybe religion section or romance. So I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section.

I have been in this relationship since June 2012. I'm a 22 year old undergraduate dating this girl (18) Unilag student 100L. I'm from a Christian home, both parents holding one post or the other in the Church. My girlfriend is a Muslim...a devoted one (wears hijab). She floods her facebook/twitter timeline with various islamic stuffs. + observes 5X prayer.

We started d relationship knowing fully well that we do not share d same faith, we are so much into each other now that we know everything about each other, I knw her friends & siblings and she knows mine too. Infact, d only thing we haven't done is to introduce ourselves to both parents.

Our relationship is so sweet that it even makes her friends jealous, one thing I can boast of is d love she has for me. She will do almost anything to please me.

The sad part is that I told her that I can't marry a muslim n dat I want her to convert. She said no...dat she can't convert. We broke up for 2days n we continued our thing. (Problem not solved yet). She told me dat I can hav the kids (as xtians) after marriage dat I should let her continue as a muslim.

I'm confused now, I don't knw wat to do, I don't wanna loose her. D option of me breaking up with her is a no go area cos she might kill herself. The love is too much, she is one of those girls that wears emotion in the head like head tie...she can do n undo if I try breaking up again.

Do u guys think inter religion marriage is possible? We are so much in love that we even forgot that the church/mosque preaches against this kind of relationship. I think about this everyday n night, really really confused.
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Sep 11, 2013
harkindele: Firstly, I'm not sure where to post this topic, maybe religion section or romance. So I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section.

I have been in this relationship since June 2012. I'm a 22 year old undergraduate dating this girl (18) Unilag student 100L. I'm from a Christian home, both parents holding one post or the other in the Church. My girlfriend is a Muslim...a devoted one (wears hijab). She floods her facebook/twitter timeline with various islamic stuffs. + observes 5X prayer.

We started d relationship knowing fully well that we do not share d same faith, we are so much into each other now that we know everything about each other, I knw her friends & siblings and she knows mine too. Infact, d only thing we haven't done is to introduce ourselves to both parents.

Our relationship is so sweet that it even makes her friends jealous, one thing I can boast of is d love she has for me. She will do almost anything to please me.

The sad part is that I told her that I can't marry a muslim n dat I want her to convert. She said no...dat she can't convert. We broke up for 2days n we continued our thing. (Problem not solved yet). She told me dat I can hav the kids (as xtians) after marriage dat I should let her continue as a muslim.

I'm confused now, I don't knw wat to do, I don't wanna loose her. D option of me breaking up with her is a no go area cos she might kill herself. The love is too much, she is one of those girls that wears emotion in the head like head tie...she can do n undo if I try breaking up again.

Do u guys think inter religion marriage is possible? We are so much in love that we even forgot that the church/mosque preaches against this kind of relationship. I think about this everyday n night, really really confused.

It is good that you two have a great relationship according to what you have described. From your description this relationship is just about a year old and both of you are relatively young which is very great.

Let me start by being blunt that you can marry anyone you wish to marry. However despite the freedom to marry anyone, wisdom is profitable to direct.

Marriage is for adults, and the sign of adulthood is that you make your decisions bearing the full responsibilities for them. Have you ever asked yourself why the bible says ... "marry in the Lord"? Love is not just about sweet talks, feel good experience which I guess is what you mean by " so much in love." Every love will be tested if the love stands then you can say "so much in love"

Marriage is an institution you never graduate from, therefore many things must be considered before going into it. The young lady has already told you she wants to be a muslim.... do you want to be the husband of a muslim lady? Can you cope with it? What is your idea of a home? Will you be happy with that? etc

Ask yourself many questions that are necessary but whatever the case NEVER MARRY OUT OF PITY

If you want to follow the scriptural advice you should as soon as possible. She won't die and you won't die both of you will only become stronger. It's called experience of life.

Shalom!!!

4 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by God2man(m): 7:57pm On Sep 11, 2013
Have you considered prayer? Cast your burden on the Lord and he will sustain you. All things, i mean all things work together for good to them that love God. If it is the will of God for you, she may encounter Christ and eventually become your wife. Now, Let Go, and Let God. Leave her for now and focus your attention on more important things. Love is not enough. What you want is completely different from what you need. May be you need a wife that will challenge you and bring out the greatness in you.

Jesus has the final say. So, pray about it.

God bless you.
God2man.
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 11, 2013
Tnx Much @belabela and @God2man for ur replies. I have so many unanswered questions in my mind, trying to picture wat d future will look like for both of us, trying to imagine hw we will live together under same roof with kids wit diff religion (I guess dats nt possible). I'm leaving everything to God now...but m still in the relationship.
Awaiting more replies.
Tnx.
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 7:30am On Sep 12, 2013
harkindele: Firstly, I'm not sure where to post this topic, maybe religion section or romance. So I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section.

Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 8:35am On Sep 12, 2013
See what is worrying people.

She was a muslim before you met her and the girl you fell in love with is a muslim. So why change her? Is she trying to change you. Would you rather she converts to christianity and gets confused and start sleeping with your landlord in 2 years time? What is wrong with you people?

And the girl is even wise letting you decide the religion of your children. As the first post said, I don't think you are matured enough, so wait.

Anyway, my own advice is to both stop your religions and all these problems will immediately cease.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by dareabiola98(m): 11:49am On Sep 12, 2013
I guess in both religion.its not allowed to marry a disbeliever.I like you as u have shared that wc is bothering u,I guess u want pple to be blunt. 1.Seeing a girl without the concent of one's parent in islam in unlawful,I guess it is in christianity too 2. Marrying a non-believer is also unlawful as our christian brethren have stated above 3. The consequences of these kind of union are so much that,it'll kill the love.trust me...if both of u are really religious pple,working for heaven,u wouldn't even be able to.If u r sure about ur faith,u'll try to change her,if she's sure abt hers she'll try to change u 4.islam is not just a religion but a way of life,r u ready to spend ur whole life with a woman that lives islam...there are so many things u have to do to be a muslim.I would have staed them but I guess u could know from her 5.think about ur children.u'll definitely cause segregation between them. The only way that this could work is that both of u are not in any way religious at all.
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 12, 2013
dareabiola98: I guess in both religion.its not allowed to marry a disbeliever.I like you as u have shared that wc is bothering u,I guess u want pple to be blunt. 1.Seeing a girl without the concent of one's parent in islam in unlawful,I guess it is in christianity too 2. Marrying a non-believer is also unlawful as our christian brethren have stated above 3. The consequences of these kind of union are so much that,it'll kill the love.trust me...if both of u are really religious pple,working for heaven,u wouldn't even be able to.If u r sure about ur faith,u'll try to change her,if she's sure abt hers she'll try to change u 4.islam is not just a religion but a way of life,r u ready to spend ur whole life with a woman that lives islam...there are so many things u have to do to be a muslim.I would have staed them but I guess u could know from her 5.think about ur children.u'll definitely cause segregation between them. The only way that this could work is that both of u are not in any way religious at all.
Tru talk
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by EvilBrain1(m): 3:58pm On Sep 12, 2013
Marry the Girl if you like. If your relationship is the way you've described, then you're not likely going to have any problems with her.

On the other hand, you'll definitely have problems with your extended families. Religious fanatics are experts at sowing discord and there is guaranteed to be at more than one on each.side.

My advice to you is marry the girl after the two of you discuss and agree on how you're going to live and what you're going to teach your children. Then afterwards, keep your extended families at arms length. Be polite to them and attend occasions when you cant avoid it, but do all you can to minimize contact with them. Don't ever involve them in any decision regarding your children or marriage. Never ever (ever) allow one of them to stay in your house no matter what.

As long as both of you remember that its you against the world, you should be okay.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Sep 12, 2013
Evil Brain: Marry the Girl if you like. If your relationship is the way you've described, then you're not likely going to have any problems with her.

On the other hand, you'll definitely have problems with your extended families. Religious fanatics are experts at sowing discord and there is guaranteed to be at more than one on each.side.

My advice to you is marry the girl after the two of you discuss and agree on how you're going to live and what you're going to teach your children. Then afterwards, keep your extended families at arms length. Be polite to them and attend occasions when you cant avoid it, but do all you can to minimize contact with them. Don't ever involve them in any decision regarding your children or marriage. Never ever (ever) allow one of them to stay in your house no matter what.

As long as both of you remember that its you against the world, you should be okay.
Tnx
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by UyiIredia(m): 12:49am On Sep 13, 2013
@ OP: Sorry to divert but I must say this is how religion divides. More so when it is fundamentalist. Personally, I would cast off Christianity's injunction to only marry a believer if I had loving lady of satisfactory character no matter he religion or lack of it. I will not be obliged to Paul or the Christian God on that matter. That said, my advise is you give it a shot. The first couple in this state happen to be of different religions, so take a cue from them and realize religious differences or not shouldn't be a hindrance to marriage where a couple love each other. Obviously, marriage won't be utmost now so you'll have time to cross that bridge if you get there. Focus on the relationship and don't let her religion be a problem. Go further and even learn about it, at least to be informed and to further bond you both. It so happens people are misinformed about Islam, for instance, nowhere is 72 virgins mentioned as a reward, and the kiling of infidels was taken out of context, a thing Christians hate when done to interpreting the Bible. It
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 2:16am On Sep 13, 2013
just dont discuss religion.
and agree to allow your kids the right to choose what creed they want to.
otherwise, avoid it if that would be too much.

#simple.
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Ijawboi(m): 3:12am On Sep 13, 2013
18, 22, 100Level and let me guess yours 300Level...
You are in love and your relationship is less than six months( just guessing) and you wanna get married??
Really? You're thinking about marriage, Like seriously??
Go sidon joor, when time reach nobody go tel yu.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by texanomaly(f): 5:11am On Sep 13, 2013
There is much good advice here. Something you need to think about though is this; Why have you and your girlfriend not told your families about each other?

I am not Nigerian, but I have seen and heard enough to know that family is important. It is easy for someone to say, "forget about your family, and go for it." You need to seriously consider why you hesitate to tell your families. Don't think for a moment that your "love" will see you through.

It may not mater now, because you are blinded by the wonderful, exciting feeling you are both having. One day it WILL mater. Make no mistake. More than likely when the children are born.

Pretending that your family doesn't mater, won't make it so. The opinion of your family obviously maters, or you wouldn't be here. If you have to hide, there is your answer. Don't ignore the elephant in the room.
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:25am On Sep 13, 2013
op, the choice is yours. You either continue living in the backward past and making your family happy at your own detriment or you take a leap of faith into the future with the girl of your dreams and make your own mistakes and accept your own rewards.
Put in other words, be Satanically selfish and seek your own happiness or be a mumu African and seek other's happiness.
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 13, 2013
Ijawboi: 18, 22, 100Level and let me guess yours 300Level...
You are in love and your relationship is less than six months( just guessing) and you wanna get married??
Really? You're thinking about marriage, Like seriously??
Go sidon joor, when time reach nobody go tel yu.
Started dating june last year....I know it may b too early to start discussing marriage, but that's what she talks about all the time. Yea...m in 300L
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by robosky02(m): 2:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
helo are the beatiful sisters finished in church that u want muslim
:ohelo are the beatiful sisters finished in church that u want muslim
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 13, 2013
robosky02: helo are the beatiful sisters finished in church that u want muslim
:ohelo are the beatiful sisters finished in church that u want muslim
Love is not beauty, beauty is not love!
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 13, 2013
harkindele:
Love is not beauty, beauty is not love!
nice 1
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by hisableplc(m): 6:58pm On Sep 13, 2013
Well i dont know the base of your love for her, but i think true love knows no bound if you are a true christian and its God`s will then no doubt, God will lead you aright. the mistake you made is trying to do the work for the Spirit of God you should have allowed ur life so shine that she may find Jesus in you.
My cousin married a muslim and never allowed his religion to disturb her and they live happily together when the time come i wont be surprised to see him in church cos God will always be God
What i think you should do is to put off your clothes of emotion and talk to God in prayer about it since you didnt do that first before entering the relationship so that you dont trap yourself and regret.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by mcfynest(m): 7:29pm On Sep 13, 2013
i had to like your post @alfa cos of some level of truth in it....

@op...2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

i think this is all you need...
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Sep 13, 2013
mcfynest: i had to like your post @alfa cos of some level of truth in it....

@op...2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Hmmm...facing the truth can be hard smtimes
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Tyche(m): 5:44am On Sep 14, 2013
texanomaly: There is much good advice here. Something you need to think about though is this; Why have you and your girlfriend not told your families about each other?

I am not Nigerian, but I have seen and heard enough to know that family is important. It is easy for someone to say, "forget about your family, and go for it." You need to seriously consider why you hesitate to tell your families. Don't think for a moment that your "love" will see you through.

It may not mater now, because you are blinded by the wonderful, exciting feeling you are both having. One day it WILL mater. Make no mistake. More than likely when the children are born.

Pretending that your family doesn't mater, won't make it so. The opinion of your family obviously maters, or you wouldn't be here.

Wherever you are from, family is important. We have seen your profile, we know you are not a Nigerian.
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by hisableplc(m): 10:27am On Sep 14, 2013
mcfynest: i had to like your post @alfa cos of some level of truth in it....

hMN I was waiting for this 2corin tinz but we fail to address d real issue and mistake made, well i agree wit dat verse but when God told the prophet in the old testament to marry a prostitute it was for a reason, Moses married an alien it was God`s will Jesus dinned with zacheus and many more. one thing you dont understand is that you can see a light or know the worth of a light in a broad day light, its worth can only be found in the dark. so understand the scriptures n apply it with wisdom emphasis should be made on having a relationship with God first so that our steps could be ordered by him.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Mintayo(m): 10:45am On Sep 14, 2013
hisableplc:

hMN I was waiting for this 2corin tinz but we fail to address d real issue and mistake made, well i agree wit dat verse but when God told the prophet in the old testament to marry a prostitute it was for a reason, Moses married an alien it was God`s will Jesus dinned with zacheus and many more. one thing you dont understand is that you can see a light or know the worth of a light in a broad day light, its worth can only be found in the dark. so understand the scriptures n apply it with wisdom emphasis should be made on having a relationship with God first so that our steps could be ordered by him.

You are gettin it all wrong.
Did God ask the Op to marry her? God asked a prophet to marry a prostitute for what?the fun of it?
I support what mynfest said if we are to go the way of the Bible, but i will say the Op should ask God for wisdom,marriage is nt courtship where u can easily opt in or out,its is eternal.
Again,can the Op withstand d seperation this will cause in d future among the children? What abt both families? What abt the relationship with God. Is it the will of God?
For now i think the Op should focus on praying for himself,the lady,that the Lord will reveal himself to her.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 14, 2013
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by omotayokay: 6:37pm On Sep 14, 2013
@OP, there is nothing wrong in a Christian marrying a Muslim...infact, it will turn out to be blessing to you because you'll get to increase your knowledge about God and the forms in which He exists! But, the extended family tinzz could be frustrating!
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Sep 14, 2013
omotayokay: @OP, there is nothing wrong in a Christian marrying a Muslim...infact, it will turn out to be blessing to you because you'll get to increase your knowledge about God and the forms in which He exists! But, the extended family tinzz could be frustrating!
Tnx
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by mcfynest(m): 12:27pm On Sep 15, 2013
omotayokay: @OP, there is nothing wrong in a Christian marrying a Muslim...infact, it will turn out to be blessing to you because you'll get to increase your knowledge about God and the forms in which He exists! But, the extended family tinzz could be frustrating!

AH!!!!! shocked
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Mintayo(m): 1:09pm On Sep 15, 2013
forms in which God exists? I am just curious!
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 15, 2013
mcfynest:

AH!!!!! shocked
Lol!!
Re: Can A Christian Guy Marry A Muslim Girl? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 15, 2013
This is a serious issue here, pls y can't this go on front page?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cash Crunch: Tithes, Offerings Drop In Churches / 10 Reasons To Accept The Resurrection Of Jesus As An Historical Fact / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.