Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,727 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians (21105 Views)

Shiites Give A Drawing Of Jesus To Christians In Bauchi To Promote Peace / Are You Ready? A Short Message To Christians By Lyoncrescent / Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by sameera025: 7:40pm On Jan 14, 2015
Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my story and invite Christians who have reservations about Islam to post their questions about the religion here so that we can all understand each other more and hopefully as I result I will be able to change the opinions of those of you who look at our religion in such a negative light.

I am a northern Muslim who was born and raised in the United States. Growing up I was always ashamed of being a Muslim because Islam was hated and considered as weird in the society. As a young child I badly wanted to be a Christian because it seemed easier and cooler. My friends didn't know I was a Muslim because I hid that side of myself. I didn't cover my hair, I dressed as my friends did, I wouldn't pray like I was meant to. I didn't get why it was so important to do all those things. I believed that if anything, practicing my religion would just make me unpopular in school and a bully target.
I recall an incident when I was about 6 years old and a friend of mine found an Islamic book in my room. We rummaged through the pages and made fun of the Arabic words, the names we considered to be funny and it was because we were so young and didn't understand it all.
I moved to Nigeria as a teenager and it was here that I felt comfortable being a Muslim. Being around so many other Muslims and Christians who were accepting of the religion made me feel comfortable in practicing Islam. I began covering up, and when I did I felt the importance of it. As a woman, when you cover up you feel as sense of protection. You don't obsess as much about your looks because your body is concealed. No obsessing over how your hair looks, getting attachments all that pressure because no one can see it. I began to pray daily and at doing so I became a happier person. I felt a closeness towards God and a sense of protection and guidance.
I'm ashamed at how I as a child I was embarrassed of my religion. At this point in life I couldn't be more proud to be a muslim. It's still tough being a Muslim in the world today and I know that won't go away soon. But one thing I need you all to understand is the Islam I and a majority of other Muslims practice do not agree with boko Haram and other terrorist groups and their beliefs, the killings, the hatred. We are appalled by their acts even more than Christians are. The fact that they do such heinous acts in the name of our religion which clearly condemns against such.
The more things seem to escalate with terrorism in the country and around the world, the more I observe how Christians are turning against Islam and how southerners seem to distinguish themselves from the "northerners". It breaks my heart because when I moved here Christians were soo accepting of me, the religion. I got the treatment and acceptance from Nigerian Christians more than I could have ever imagined receiving so In America.
I don't choose my friends based on religion or tribe. I love all Nigerians alike. I wish a lot more people could feel the same way too.
Anyways I've gone on for too long. I just wanted to share my story in the hopes that I can shed Islam in another light. I know it is a religion that is misunderstood. If you have any questions please ask, I would love to have peaceful discussions and start a little campaign to get Muslims and Christians across the country to work together and love each other again.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Rich4god(m): 7:46pm On Jan 14, 2015
Make I ask 1st *before I read am*

Why is it that most rich muslims are moderate in their view about Islam, they value education, sometimes walk the street without hijad... But the reverse is the case for the poor once.

9 Likes

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by ammyluv2002(f): 7:48pm On Jan 14, 2015
Nice
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Rich4god(m): 7:54pm On Jan 14, 2015
*Read* Nice article and kudos to you...

Now, working together isnt a problem, but the muslims too need to show the eagerness of working together...

Now take a look at this scenario...
Boko haram, Isis, Al Qaeda and the rest have abused the name of the prophet by killing pple in his name.... They have abused the quran by quoting it to justify their act of killings... They have abused the hijab by using it as a cover for their suicide bombing mission... In all thse actions, muslims across the globe wont stage a massive rally to condem these acts by those terrorist...

But if one lunatic in the name of journalism publish a cartoon abt the prophet, the whole Islamic world will be on fire. Some to the extent of killing non muslims...

How then do you want other religion to work together when muslims have failed to massively condem the act of the terrorist...
*edited*
Also take a look at nairaland... Muslims locking out non muslims from their board... How then will that enhance corporation if there is no room for tolerance.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by lacasa: 7:55pm On Jan 14, 2015
I love Islam

Ignorance is wat causes the hate

cool

4 Likes

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Ajibam: 7:56pm On Jan 14, 2015
Wow!! Are you married?
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by nnenneigbo(f): 7:56pm On Jan 14, 2015
I'm one of those that differentiates myself from the northerners. Here in the UK, I explain the difference, northerners Muslims and terrorists, southerners easy going, mostly Christians and peaceful or at least, not killers lol.

Funny thing is that, they all seem to already know this.

4 Likes

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by sameera025: 7:57pm On Jan 14, 2015
Rich4god:
Make I ask 1st *before I read am*

Why is it that most rich muslims are moderate in their view about Islam, they value education, sometimes walk the street without hijad... But the reverse is the case for the poor once.

You can't practice religion without knowledge. The underprivileged don't have money to get western education so the focus on practicing their religion. The problem comes in with influence though. Uneducated Muslims are easily manipulated into following extremism though because they believe what there are told. They don't have the knowledge to read and understand certain things for themselves.

1 Like

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Rich4god(m): 8:01pm On Jan 14, 2015
Also, muslims need to soften their laws for both religion to work together... You cant trample on my rights and still expect me to work with you... Muslim countries have laws that clamp down on the freedom of non muslims... But in countries of non muslims, muslims are there stage protest for the country to recognise them... You see the irony of your religion...

You are fighting for a right in anoda mans country, but in your own country, you deny odas that same right....

Me thinks arabs/hausa muslims need to borrow a leaf from their yoruba counter-parts... They are the true definition of Islam as a religion of peace... *dats frm my exp with them so far*

12 Likes

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by sameera025: 8:06pm On Jan 14, 2015
Rich4god:
*Read* Nice article and kudos to you...

Now, working together isnt a problem, but the muslims too need to show the eagerness of working together...

Now take a look at this scenario...
Boko haram, Isis, Al Qaeda and the rest have abused the name of the prophet by killing pple in his name.... They have abused the quran by quoting it to justify their act of killings... They have abused the hijab by using it as a cover for their suicide bombing mission... In all thse actions, muslims across the globe wont stage a massive rally to condem these acts by those terrorist...

But if one lunatic in the name of journalism publish a cartoon abt the prophet, the whole Islamic world will be on fire. Some to the extent of killing non muslims...

How then do you want other religion to work together when muslims have failed to massively condem the act of their brothers...

Thanks! Like I said a majority of us Muslims feel the same way. We condemn these acts. We do speak out but the media doesn't show that. I don't agree with any of the killings. What happened in Paris was extremely offensive to Muslims yes but our religion teaches us that killing is unacceptable. I'm not happy with the killings Islam does not justify it. Please do not group Muslims and terrorists as one.

1 Like

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Rich4god(m): 8:06pm On Jan 14, 2015
sameera025:

You can't practice religion without knowledge, and to be honest I believe less privileged Muslims are better Muslims than the more fortunate ones. They don't have money to get western education so the focus on practicing their religion. The problem comes in with influence though. Uneducated Muslims are easily manipulated into following extremism though because they believe what there are told. They don't have the knowledge to read and understand certain things for themselves.
If the less privilege muslims are the ones practicing the true islam and yet they are still the ones mostly involved in terror act, then I wonder wat kinda Islam they truly practice...

Me thinks its Islam that makes dem not to fancy education. An average christian home, no matter the poverty level, they still want their kids to sch... But go to the north and see... Just Islamiyya and thats all...
If islam can incorporate secular subjects in their islamiyya, believe me, things will change.

2 Likes

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by jemype(m): 8:08pm On Jan 14, 2015
I think true islam if practiced is very good. Its unfortunate that these days despite all d preachings and teachings love is very scarce under islam. It is so scarce that many people will be scared to even comment here for fear of d radicals criticizing them to d extreme. I mean we christians have radicals and are diversified but im surprised that the dejected of all christians- jehovah witness and deeper life are the ones who love the most.What i dont like is the fact that many times d religion is misinterpreted by many scholars and muslims due to the fact that many muslims are illiterates and believe what scholars havE taught them. This is not jus a probleM with boko haram as its a major problem generally world wide. I also hate the fact that many evil and deceptive vices are done and hide under d veil of islam. For instance begging- from what i have herd about beggars, some believe they were brought in to this life to beg and they even lent money from the elites to travel to beg in mecca. Is it dat elites cant help get rid of beggars from d mosque even wit d way they are all so close. Islam has its good sides i like i wont lie but its jus that these days many bad vices hide under islAm and i put the blame on scholars and illiteracy.
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Ajibam: 8:08pm On Jan 14, 2015
Sameera025,have you seen this?
http://www.remspot.com.ng/2015/01/al-qaeda-chilling-video-claims-responsibility-paris-attack.html

My question is are you misguided and you are simply a coward pretending or shying away from your real colors or this jihadist are the cowards ?
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by sameera025: 8:11pm On Jan 14, 2015
Rich4god:
If the less privilege muslims are the ones practicing the true islam and yet they are still the ones mostly involved in terror act, then I wonder wat kinda Islam they truly practice...

Me thinks its Islam that makes dem not to fancy education. An average christian home, no matter the poverty level, they still want their kids to sch... But go to the north and see... Just Islamiyya and thats all...
If islam can incorporate secular subjects in their islamiyya, believe me, things will change.

Them not wanting their kids to go to school is an issue of culture which they try to justify with religion but our religion clearly states the seeking knowledge (education) is in the way of Islam.
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Rich4god(m): 8:12pm On Jan 14, 2015
sameera025:

Thanks! Like I said a majority of us Muslims feel the same way. We condemn these acts. We do speak out but the media doesn't show that. I don't agree with any of the killings. What happened in Paris was extremely offensive to Muslims yes but our religion teaches us that killing is unacceptable. I'm not happy with the killings Islam does not justify it. Please do not group Muslims and terrorists as one.
Corrected, and sorry for that...
With regards to the condemnation, I now that Islamic sholars do condem the act. But its not really what the scholars do or say.
Why is there always a massive rally, sometimes killings across muslim wolrd whenever the quran/prophet have been abused... But nothing of such happens whenever terrorist kills in the name of Islam...

4 Likes

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Ajibam: 8:12pm On Jan 14, 2015
sameera025:

You are trying to say Islam does not justify this killings?
But this guys quote from your quran before killing the innocent ones... Haven't you seen this verses or should I show you?

3 Likes

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Ajibam: 8:18pm On Jan 14, 2015
Rich4god:
Corrected, and sorry for that...
With regards to the condemnation, I now that Islamic sholars do condem the act. But its not really what the scholars do or say.
Why is there always a massive rally, sometimes killings across muslim wolrd whenever the quran/prophet have been abused... But nothing of such happens whenever terrorist kills in the name of Islam...

Really?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLA1N-cMYpjPbYyYqXFM3kQ_4x8UOYNkzO&v=ddA_VjIwzn4&itct=CDEQxjQiEwjpsNqGmZTDAhWQiH4KHXkwAG8yCnBscHBfdmlkZW9aJFZMUExBMU4tY01ZcGpQYll5WXFYRk0za1FfNHg4VU9ZTmt6Tw%3D%3D&hl=en&gl=NG&client=mv-google
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Rich4god(m): 8:18pm On Jan 14, 2015
sameera025:

Them not wanting their kids to go to school is an issue of culture which they try to justify with religion but our religion clearly states the seeking knowledge (education) is in the way of Islam.
I really like the way you handle things... Atleast, frm the way you have answered my questn, you brand of Islam is over the bar...
Now talking about walking together, lets take this site as an example, what do you say about your brothers locking out non muslims from the islam section... Does that really show a sign of peace and tolerance...

6 Likes

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by sameera025: 8:19pm On Jan 14, 2015
Ajibam:
Sameera025,have you seen this?
http://www.remspot.com.ng/2015/01/al-qaeda-chilling-video-claims-responsibility-paris-attack.html

My question is are you misguided and you are simply a coward pretending or shying away from your real colors or this jihadist are the cowards ?

I am not misguided. And I don't appreciate you insinuating that I am a coward. What I would like you to do is just do a tiny bit of research on islam and then tell me if you truly believe that the religion would justify what they did. They are the misguided ones. Prophet Muhammed (SAW) said, "Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.” (Al-Tirmidhi)
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Rich4god(m): 8:19pm On Jan 14, 2015
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by sameera025: 8:26pm On Jan 14, 2015
Quran 5:69 says (Arberry): “Surely they that believe, and those of Jewry, and the Christians, and those Sabeaans, whoso believes in God and the Last Day, and works righteousness–their wage waits them with their Lord, and no fear shall be on them, neither shall they sorrow.”

http://www.juancole.com/2013/04/islamic-forbids-terrorism.html
Hope this answers your question Rich4God
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Ajibam: 8:27pm On Jan 14, 2015
sameera025:

I am not misguided. And I don't appreciate you insinuating that I am a coward.
It is only a question, am not insinuating!,
sameera025:
What I would like you to do is just do a tiny bit of research on islam and then tell me if you truly believe that the religion would justify what they did. They are the misguided ones. Prophet Muhammed (SAW) said, "Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.” (Al-Tirmidhi)
But this same muhammad said this!

Qur'an 2:191"And kill them wherever you find and catch them.Drive them out from where they have turned you out; for Al-Fitnah (polytheism, disbelief, oppression) is worse than slaughter."

Tabari IX:69"Killing disbelievers is a small matter to us.

1 Like

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by jemype(m): 8:27pm On Jan 14, 2015
I think muslims should také a cue from christians. Without speaking in a bias manner muslims rule nigeria to b sincere. They have planned every sector for a muslim to enter. Lemme give u an example- is it a coincidence dat ova 57 local govs in lagos dere r only 3 local govt chairmen dat r xtians. It is jus planning and dat is their strenght unfortunately as regards education its d opposite. People complain of xtian universites charging high and exorbitant fees but look at the best 20 universites in nigeria and seee how many xtian universites are dere. Compare it wit d amount of muslim unis in existence and u will see how we solved d issue of radicalism among xtians. Muslims need to invest more in education and add english to the syllabus of islamic education so people can hear scholars when they are misinterpreting tins for students.
sameera025:
Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my story and invite Christians who have reservations about Islam to post their questions about the religion here so that we can all understand each other more and hopefully as I result I will be able to change the opinions of those of you who look at our religion in such a negative light.

I am a northern Muslim who was born and raised in the United States. Growing up I was always ashamed of being a Muslim because Islam was hated and considered as weird in the society. As a young child I badly wanted to be a Christian because it seemed easier and cooler. My friends didn't know I was a Muslim because I hid that side of myself. I didn't cover my hair, I dressed as my friends did, I wouldn't pray like I was meant to. I didn't get why it was so important to do all those things. I believed that if anything, practicing my religion would just make me unpopular in school and a bully target.
I recall an incident when I was about 6 years old and a friend of mine found an Islamic book in my room. We rummaged through the pages and made fun of the Arabic words, the names we considered to be funny and it was because we were so young and didn't understand it all.
I moved to Nigeria as a teenager and it was here that I felt comfortable being a Muslim. Being around so many other Muslims and Christians who were accepting of the religion made me feel comfortable in practicing Islam. I began covering up, and when I did I felt the importance of it. As a woman, when you cover up you feel as sense of protection. You don't obsess as much about your looks because your body is concealed. No obsessing over how your hair looks, getting attachments all that pressure because no one can see it. I began to pray daily and at doing so I became a happier person. I felt a closeness towards God and a sense of protection and guidance.
I'm ashamed at how I as a child I was embarrassed of my religion. At this point in life I couldn't be more proud to be a muslim. It's still tough being a Muslim in the world today and I know that won't go away soon. But one thing I need you all to understand is the Islam I and a majority of other Muslims practice do not agree with boko Haram and other terrorist groups and their beliefs, the killings, the hatred. We are appalled by their acts even more than Christians are. The fact that they do such heinous acts in the name of our religion which clearly condemns against such.
The more things seem to escalate with terrorism in the country and around the world, the more I observe how Christians are turning against Islam and how southerners seem to distinguish themselves from the "northerners". It breaks my heart because when I moved here Christians were soo accepting of me, the religion. I got the treatment and acceptance from Nigerian Christians more than I could have ever imagined receiving so In America.
I don't choose my friends based on religion or tribe. I love all Nigerians alike. I wish a lot more people could feel the same way too.
Anyways I've gone on for too long. I just wanted to share my story in the hopes that I can shed Islam in another light. I know it is a religion that is misunderstood. If you have any questions please ask, I would love to have peaceful discussions and start a little campaign to get Muslims and Christians across the country to work together and love each other again.

2 Likes

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Ajibam: 8:30pm On Jan 14, 2015
Rich4god:
Ye... Joke apart, some do condem the acts...
Who is joking?
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Ajibam: 8:33pm On Jan 14, 2015
sameera025:
The Qur’an assures Christians and Jews of paradise if they believe and do good works, and commends Christians as the best friends of Muslims. I wrote elsewhere, “Dangerous falsehoods are being promulgated to the American public. The Quran does not preach violence against Christians.
Quran 5:69 says (Arberry): “Surely they that believe, and those of Jewry, and the Christians, and those Sabeaans, whoso believes in God and the Last Day, and works righteousness–their wage waits them with their Lord, and no fear shall be on them, neither shall they sorrow.”
In other words, the Quran promises Christians and Jews along with Muslims that if they have faith and works, they need have no fear in the afterlife. It is not saying that non-Muslims go to hell– quite the opposite. http://www.juancole.com/2013/04/islamic-forbids-terrorism.html
You self know that this is not true!
Do you need evidence?

2 Likes

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Weah96: 8:33pm On Jan 14, 2015
Question: according to Islam, do suicide bombers go to paradise or to the torture room?

1 Like

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Rich4god(m): 8:37pm On Jan 14, 2015
sameera025:
http://www.juancole.com/2013/04/islamic-forbids-terrorism.html
I cant really say it answered my question... Cos I have witnessed in kano (2002, massallachin dangi) where riot started right after the friday prayer... Whoever/whatever gave them the inspiration to do that...

1 Like

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Rich4god(m): 8:39pm On Jan 14, 2015
Weah96:
Question: according to Islam, do suicide bombers go to paradise or to the torture room?

Good question.... Sameera plz do justice to this...
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Ajibam: 8:39pm On Jan 14, 2015
Goodluck to you on seeking answers, sameera025.
I was opportune to go for an outreach last year, I met this muslim lady, after showing her the way, she argued that she don't need the gospel because we are serving the same God.. You know what?
The Holy Spirit replied her that we may serve the same God but the way to this God is what you guys miss! Jesus acknowledged it publicly that he is the way, no way but him.i have searched to my best understanding, I didn't see a place where your prophet acknowledge that he is the way to God.. After explaining this to the lady, the demon of religion was bind in her mind, she surrended to the lordship of Christ.. I know the day of your salvation Is coming too..
Good night!

4 Likes

Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Rich4god(m): 8:41pm On Jan 14, 2015
Ajibam:
Goodluck to you on seeking answers, sameera025.
I was opportune to go for an outreach last year, I met this muslim lady, after showing her the way, she argued that she don't need the gospel because we are serving the same God.. You know what?
The Holy Spirit replied her that we may serve the same God but the way to this God is what you guys miss! Jesus acknowledged it publicly that he is the way, no way but him.i have searched to my best understanding, I didn't see a place where your prophet acknowledge that he is the way to God.. After explaining this to the lady, the demon of religion was bind in her mind, she surrended to the lordship of Christ.. I know the day of your salvation Is coming too..
Good night!
:/ :-/
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by sameera025: 8:49pm On Jan 14, 2015
Rich4god:
Good question.... Sameera plz do justice to this...

As muslims we are taught not to judge who will go to heaven or hell. It was quoted that a prostitute went to heaven for feeding a thirsty animal and a woman went to hell for mistreating an animal. Islam teaches that if you commit suicide you will go to hell. If you kill you will go to hell. So.. As a muslim to get into heaven you shouldn't do either one.
Re: A Northern Muslim Girl's Letter To Christians by Rich4god(m): 8:54pm On Jan 14, 2015
sameera025:

As muslims we are taught not to judge who will go to heaven or hell. It was quoted that a prostitute went to heaven for feeding a hungry cat and a muslim man went to hell for maltreating an animal. Islam teaches that if you commit suicide you will go to hell. If you kill you will go to hell. So.. As a muslim to get into heaven you shouldn't do either one.
Good and simple explanation... So can I conclude that the problem is from the scholars who couldnt pass on the true teaching of islam... Cos most of these terrorist thinks that they are the ones who are actually practising true islam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Demolishing The Falsehood Of Christianity And Its Bible / Christians Queuing To Enter A Church In Abuja (Picture) / Police Interrogates Biodun Fatoyinbo Over Rape Allegation By Busola Dakolo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.