Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,034 members, 7,956,830 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:13 PM

Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? (21268 Views)

Needed...a Good Mechanic For American Cars / A Story On Poor Safety Records Of Some American Cars / American Cars, What Is So Wrong With Them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by ihimami: 6:35pm On Sep 13, 2013
elektra80:

u made some good points, but then some are off. Its true most Nigerian mechanics find it difficult to fix German sophisticated cars... But what about in the USA? The research was not based in Nigeria but in the USA, and the prices of those cars are in USD. So are u saying those mechanics too don't know what they are doing?

I don't argue that jap cars might visit the mechanic more frequently than European cars... But once those European cars start giving problem, u are gonna spend a whole lot to fix just one problem

I have looked at used car prices online and there is no way a 2003 Toyota Camry prices can be compared with 2003 E class or C class Mercedes. It is still cheaper to buy used 2003 Toyota Camry than to buy Audi A6 or Mercedes E class of the same year, and don't forget that even in US majority are not of the rich class, so it is expected that those car meant for average citizen such as Toyota and Honda brands will attract more patronage than the luxury brands.
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by fili24: 6:37pm On Sep 13, 2013
The poster is really confused, those camry you listed are American specs, meaning they were produced either in USA or Canada.
I live in Germany and most of Toyota camry's comes from Yankee and Canada, That is why they're expensive.
Toyota is not in the same league with Mercedes benz or Bmw. These are luxury cars and they're very expensive to maintain.
Used Mercedes Benz, BMW or Porsche with low mileage will surely buy 2 camry's, even more
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by fili24: 6:40pm On Sep 13, 2013
ihimami:

I have looked at used car prices online and there is no way a 2003 Toyota Camry prices can be compared with 2003 E class or C class Mercedes. It is still cheaper to buy used 2003 Toyota Camry than to buy Audi A6 or Mercedes E class of the same year, and don't forget that even in US majority are not of the rich class, so it is expected that those car meant for average citizen such as Toyota and Honda brands will attract more patronage than the luxury brands.

@poster you're on point
Dude surely doesn't know anything about cars
Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMW, Porsche are for big boys in europe....only the old ppl use Toyota in Europe
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by elektra80: 6:55pm On Sep 13, 2013
ihimami:

Again.. I did not compare a 2003 toyota camry with mercedez benz E class. The benz beats the camry hands down. My point is on resale value. The Benz loses its value by up to 75% vs the camry's 63% over 10 years and 100k plus mileage
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by elektra80: 7:07pm On Sep 13, 2013
fili24: The poster is really confused, those camry you listed are American specs, meaning they were produced either in USA or Canada.
I live in Germany and most of Toyota camry's comes from Yankee and Canada, That is why they're expensive.
Toyota is not in the same league with Mercedes benz or Bmw. These are luxury cars and they're very expensive to maintain.
Used Mercedes Benz, BMW or Porsche with low mileage will surely buy 2 camry's, even more

You are on point. Toyota and Honda are not in the same league with Benz and BMW. You said for urself that a used Mercedez Benz or BMW with low mileage will buy 2 camrys with low mileage.. ACCEPTED. But what happens to those German cars at high mileage? Their values drop at a faster rate at high mileage than their Japanese counterparts. That is my point. You will get a better resale value from a 10 year old Lexus RX330 with 150k plus mileage than u would from a 10 year old BMW x5 with same mileage (And don't tell me they are not in the same class). Likewise u will get a better resale value from a 10 year old Toyota Highlander Limited with 150k plus than u would from a Mercedez Benz ML350 with similar mileage.
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by fili24: 7:20pm On Sep 13, 2013
elektra80:

You are on point. Toyota and Honda are not in the same league with Benz and BMW. You said for urself that a used Mercedez Benz or BMW with low mileage will buy 2 camrys with low mileage.. ACCEPTED. But what happens to those German cars at high mileage? Their values drop at a faster rate at high mileage than their Japanese counterparts. That is my point. You will get a better resale value from a 10 year old Lexus RX330 with 150k plus mileage than u would from a 10 year old BMW x5 with same mileage (And don't tell me they are not in the same class). Likewise u will get a better resale value from a 10 year old Toyota Highlander Limited with 150k plus than u would from a Mercedez Benz ML350 with similar mileage.

Let me tell u what u don't know, resale value differs from country to country.
In Europe, people don't rush Honda or Toyota as they rush it in 9ja. A seller in Europe would prefer to have Mercedes Benz and BMW for sale compare to Honda and Toyota....BMW sells fast here unlike 9ja, forget about the mileage. Even EOD, discussion continue are rare here.
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by ocelot2006(m): 7:21pm On Sep 13, 2013
Possibly due to poor reliability and fuel consumption.
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by fili24: 7:27pm On Sep 13, 2013
Check Mobile.de if you're in doubt
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Ikenna351(m): 7:29pm On Sep 13, 2013
Hmm!

Some people fail to realise that am one of those that wouldn't mind the low resale value of Euro cars, because i benefit from it. Ask me why? Guess how much i bought my tokunbo 406 V6 SV D9 early this year? A lot of Nairaland members have visited me and when i show them the car and tell them how much i bought her, none of them would believe me. I bought her almost the amount i bought my Baby in 2010. This car was shipped from Hamburg and arrived Lagos port in November last year. According to the importer, everyone looked the other way once they see the V6 badge and also because it's not Toyota. I was the only one who seriously indicated interest months later and he had no option than to not let me pass him by. Yet, this is a car i can tell you some I4 Japs can't match in fuel economy. On my way back from Church on Sunday, on Expressway, i used Cruise control for the first time. I first tried 120 km/h, the car at that speed averaged about 7.7 L/100km (39+ mpg). Again, i cancelled the speed control and set it at 100 km/h, the car was getting about 6.4 L/100km. And this is a 2000 production. How many V6 and I4 Japs of the same year model can boast of that consumption ? Note that i got the car at mileage 166,000 km. Now the mileae is over 170k km, yet the engine still drives like new. I don't even accelerate to move from stand still. All i do is gradually relaese the clutch and the car moves smoothly, no jecking or loss of power. Doubt me? Come over and test.

I recall when some members posted negatively about 406 electrics, claiming that as soon as the cross 100k km, their electrics become nightmares to their owners. They will start falling apart. Mine is 170k km, everything still function as new. I wonder who is to be blamed. The abused poor car, the owner or the clown that did that omen on the poor car?

For those that stay in Abuja, you will bear me witness that Peugeot cars are increasing on Abuja road on daily basis. Parastatal, other govt agencies and paramilitaries are now ditching their Toyotas and switching to Peugeots (408 & 508) as official cars. Privates are not lef out. Even Peugeot Crossovers ( 3008 & 4008) are increasing on the road. People don dey sabi beta thing!

So, the low resale value favours me abeg. After all, i don't buy to resale tomorrow. But buy to drive till it falls apart. Who knows, the low resale value fit make me become 508 owner sooner than i expect. Who knows!

Ikenna.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by dgitrader(m): 7:30pm On Sep 13, 2013
simply put...
german/american cars initially cost more because they are 3-5years more technologicaly advanced and produced
their resale value is lesser because after a decade, they cost alot more to mentain, which leads to lesser demand which equals lower price.

however, in terms of quality and class, the japs are still beyind.
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by laykhorn(m): 7:42pm On Sep 13, 2013
KA24DETT:

We still have the notion that german cars are not reliable but they are catching up.
Japanese cars are more reliable overall but every body is catching up. Korea (hyundai, Kia Group ) is the HIGHEST in reliability now. Even the americans have caught up with the reliability game. Everybody has stepped up their game big time and before you know it, the "Which car is more reliable" argument will be mute.

All in all, German cars come with more electronics and sophiscation which means, the probability of something going wrong is high.
You can buy a used german car for cheap but still remenber u are maintaining a high end car.
Hyundai is Japanese
KAI is Indian
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by fili24: 7:45pm On Sep 13, 2013
KIA is South Korean

2 Likes

Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 13, 2013
laykhorn:
Hyundai is Japanese
KAI is Indian

I believe its MTN disgusting network that made u spew such a great degree of ignorance. HYUNDAI and KIA are Korean car manufacturing companies. Please do your research well and don't forget to PORT to.... GLO tongue wink

2 Likes

Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Yazmin: 9:35pm On Sep 13, 2013
laykhorn:
Hyundai is Japanese
KAI is Indian

All these people that like to comment, to enable them exhaust promo MB's ....
MTN should stop giving free mb's abeg lipsrsealed
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by MSItachi: 9:38pm On Sep 13, 2013
Carina E : 500k + shakara
190 Benz : 250k + begging

grin

Me love Germans thins sha ooo

3 Likes

Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Durchmann(m): 9:42pm On Sep 13, 2013
Davo93: I will set up an 8-man committee, check the prices and do something about it..... Okada! Okada!! Okada!!! Oya carry me go White house for my next meeting

Mehn... I no dey fit understand this "okada" club for nairaland O!

Very soon, that will be the new "craze" on nairaland after garri squad and ETT levels... Anyway...

1 Like

Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 13, 2013
MSItachi: Carina E : 500k + shakara

grin

hahaha...remembering the drama surrounding selling my jetta after bragging not to let it go for less than 400k. i gladly sold it for 280k...dash out 20k to agent and the guy who bought it still owes me 5k. one dishonest aboki
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by naptu2: 10:22pm On Sep 13, 2013
Yazmin:

All these people that like to comment, to enable them exhaust promo MB's ....
MTN should stop giving free mb's abeg lipsrsealed

grin
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Sep 13, 2013
MSItachi: Carina E : 500k + shakara

grin

FYI, benz 190 debutted in 1983 and production stopped in 1993 thus givin birth to C-class as its successor. The Camry debutted in 1992 and ceased production in 1997. The issue of such price still falls in favour with the Benz 190 when its age is considered.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by dandollaz: 7:21am On Sep 14, 2013
High cost of maintenance and full economy on German cars are high.end of discussion
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by elektra80: 8:01am On Sep 14, 2013
Ikenna351: Hmm!

Some people fail to realise that am one of those that wouldn't mind the low resale value of Euro cars, because i benefit from it. Ask me why? Guess how much i bought my tokunbo 406 V6 SV D9 early this year? A lot of Nairaland members have visited me and when i show them the car and tell them how much i bought her, none of them would believe me. I bought her almost the amount i bought my Baby in 2010. This car was shipped from Hamburg and arrived Lagos port in November last year. According to the importer, everyone looked the other way as soon as they see the V6 badge and secondary, because it's not Toyota. I was the only one indicated interest months later and he had no option than to not let me pass him by. Yet, this is a car i can tell you some I4 Japs can't match in fuel economy. On my way back from Church on Sunday, on Expressway, i used Cruise control for the first time. I first tried 120 km/h, the car at that speed averaged about 7.7 L/100km (39+ mpg). I couldn't believe it. Again, i cancelled the speed control and set it at 100 km/h, the car was getting about 6.4 L/100km. And this is a 2000 production. How many Japs of the same year model can boast of that consumption ? Note that i got the car at mileage 166,000 km. Now the mileae is over 170k km, yet the engine still drives like new. I don't even accelerate to move from stand still. All i do is gradually relaese the clutch and the car moves smoothly, no jecking or loss of power. Doubt me? Come over and test.

I recall when some members posted negatively about 406 electrics, claiming that as soon as the cross 100k km, their electrics become nightmares to their owners. They will start falling apart. Mine is 170k km, everything still function as new. I wonder who is to be blamed. The abused poor car, the owner or the clown that did that omen on the poor car?

For those that stay in Abuja, you will bear me witness that Peugeot cars are increasing on Abuja road on daily basis. Parastatal, other govt agencies and paramilitaries are now ditching their Toyotas and switching to Peugeots (408 & 508) as official cars. Privates are not lef out. Even Peugeot Crossovers ( 3008 & 4008) are increasing on the road. People don dey sabi beta thing!

So, the low resale value favours me abeg. After all, i don't buy to resale tomorrow. But buy to drive till it falls apart. Who knows, the low resale value fit make me become 508 owner sooner than i expect. Who knows!

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 14, 2013
laykhorn:
Hyundai is Japanese
KAI is Indian
I don't even know what to say. Is this guy serious?
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 14, 2013
lalaboi:

yOU!! grin
Yes it's me! Nairaland's in-house anti-stupidity crusader zipping around looking for idiots to shoot. cool
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Ikenna351(m): 8:46am On Sep 14, 2013
elektra80:

haba Mr ikenna... 40mpg on a 2000 model peugoet 406 v6. Nbanu, that's not possible unless its diesel powered. Abeg find another thing talk.

At production the 406 v6 does a highway of 29mpg and combined of 21.6mpg. Now that's when its brand new and u know some of those companies even exaggerate, which means u might not even get that mpg. Now fast forward 13 years and 170k plus km mileage and u are getting 40mpg .. Ha ha ha, I can't stop laughing. If u are checking the display on the instrument panel for ur mpg, trust mr those computers are giving u very wrong information. I drove a friends Benz sometimes ago and the mpg display was telling me I was doing 80mpg and I laughed off.

Can you please show us the proof where Peugeot stated that the ES9J4S, V6 engine in 406 V6 D9, gives 29 mpg on highway ? Because am staring at my owners manual that came with the car right now.

As for others who would like to know, the car owners manual states that for my 2000 406 V6 5-speed manual, 8BXFX, Saloon, the fuel consumption details is as below:

Urban driving: 20.6 mpg (13.7 L/100 km).

Inter-Urban: 39.2 mpg (7.2 L/100km ).

Mixed driving: 29.4 mpg (9.6 L/100 km).

Note that the above is mpg for the car when the engine has not run-in or break in. Meaning, the mpg could improve more than stated above when broken-in, since the engine has loosen up.

Now electra80, since when did mixed driving becomes inter-urban driving? So are you the one to tell me how my car consumes fuel, irrespective of what the computer says? So am so daft that i don't know how i fill up and how the fuel gauge drops with distance i cover with it? Why do you find it so had to believe ? Because it's not Toyota and its a French car? If your car manufacturer deceives you about what they stated about your car fuel consumption figures, does it mean every other car manufacturer does?

Meanwhile, your orientation about old cars is not encouraging. So to you, as car ages, the fuel consumption increases? Unbelievable !

By the way, that engine in 406 V6 D9, ES9J4S, was co-produced by Peugeot, Renault & Porsche. So, you need to know what is under that hood before you comment on it.

Probably, you thought i was the only one that drives 406 V6 D9? And you thought Nairaland Car Talk is the only Arena Peugeots are discussed? As luck would have it, this 406 V6 fuel economy was recently discussed in aussiefrogs last month by other 406 V6 owners like myself in Australia. Find the discussion in the link below:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/106597-v6-economy.html

Ikenna.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by elektra80: 11:54am On Sep 14, 2013
Ikenna351:

Can you please show us the proof where Peugeot stated that the ES9J4S, V6 engine in 406 V6 D9, gives 29 mpg on highway ? Because am staring at my owners manual that came with the car right now.

As for others who would like to know, the car owners manual states that for my 2000 406 V6 5-speed manual, 8BXFX, Saloon, the fuel consumption details is as below:

Urban driving: 20.6 mpg (13.7 L/100 km).

Inter-Urban: 39.2 mpg (7.2 L/100km ).

Mixed driving: 29.4 mpg (9.6 L/100 km).

Note that the above is mpg for the car when the engine has not run-in or break in. Meaning, the mpg could improve more than stated above when broken-in, since the engine has loosen up.

Now electra80, since when did mixed driving becomes inter-urban driving? So are you the one to tell me how my car consumes fuel, irrespective of what the computer says? So am so daft that i don't know how i fill up and how the fuel gauge drops with distance i cover with it? Why do you find it so had to believe ? Because it's not Toyota and its a French car? If your car manufacturer deceives you about what they stated about your car fuel consumption figures, does it mean every other car manufacturer does?

Meanwhile, your orientation about old cars is not encouraging. So to you, as car ages, the fuel consumption increases? Unbelievable !

By the way, that engine in 406 V6 D9, ES9J4S, was co-produced by Peugeot, Renault & Porsche. So, you need to know what is under that hood before you comment on it.

Probably, you thought i was the only one that drives 406 V6 D9? And you thought Nairaland Car Talk is the only Arena Peugeots are discussed? As luck would have it, this 406 V6 fuel economy was recently discussed in aussiefrogs last month by other 406 V6 owners like myself in Australia. Find the discussion in the link below:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/106597-v6-economy.html

Ikenna.

Mr Ikenna.. I don't know ur car more than u do, so apologies if I was wrong. Its just unbelievable for a v6 petrol car to give 40mpg especially in Nigeria that we use adulterated fuels. You might be right though.. but my point is don't always believe the reading on the computer as its always off the real mpg. What do u say about my friend's benz that displays 81mpg while u are driving on the highway. I got my facts from
http://www.autoevolution.com/engine/peugeot-406-coupe-1997-30-v6-24v.html

Now what I do not know is if its the same engine type as urs , but its the same model 406 with v6 engine.
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by elektra80: 12:06pm On Sep 14, 2013
fili24: Check Mobile.de if you're in doubt

I don't need to go to a German site to compare prices, afterall I did my research based on the American market which is neither Japan or Germany. But just to prove u wrong.. in the Uk, a 10 year old Lexus RX300 still has a better value for money than a 10 year old Mercedez Benz ML350 with 150k plus mileage. Go to autotrader.co.uk and confirm for urself. At brand new the Benz is more expensive but after 10 years the Lexus becomes more value for money.

1 Like

Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Ikenna351(m): 3:11pm On Sep 14, 2013
elektra80:

Mr Ikenna.. I don't know ur car more than u do, so apologies if I was wrong. Its just unbelievable for a v6 petrol car to give 40mpg especially in Nigeria that we use adulterated fuels. You might be right though.. but my point is don't always believe the reading on the computer as its always off the real mpg. What do u say about my friend's benz that displays 81mpg while u are driving on the highway. I got my facts from
http://www.autoevolution.com/engine/peugeot-406-coupe-1997-30-v6-24v.html

Now what I do not know is if its the same engine type as urs , but its the same model 406 with v6 engine.

I do understand you. But i was only trying to point "don't delve into something you do not understand ".

To start with, the link you provided is a complete crap. Secondly, mine js saloon, while the one reviewed in that crappy blog or whatever is coupe. Both have different weight and aerodynamics. The reviewer couldn't even differentiate or fail to realise that 406 is of two phases: Phase I (D8) 1995-1998; Phase II (D9) 1999-2008 or beyond (though, 406 production stopped in France in 2004). Both D8 & D9 V6s have 2 different V6 engines. Similar, but not identical. The D8 V6 has 194 hp, which is the hp the blog claimed v6 upto 2003 had. Those that mean the D9 also has the 194 hp v6?

ES9J4 is the V6 engine in all D8 V6. It was co-produced by Peugeot & Renault after the PRV production stopped in late '90s. It has 194 hp. Mounted only in Saloon and coupe (no D8 v6 SW, i think).

ES9J4S, a V6 engine in D9, from 1999-2004 (also mounted in 807 v6, 407 v6 & 607 v6 as ES9A with constant vvt). It has maximum of 210 hp. It was co-produced by Peugeot, Renualt & Porsche. It's an ES9J4 (D8 v6 ) modified by Porsche for better fuel efficiency and higher hp. It was mounted in D9 Saloon, coupe and SW.

Like i always say, "Don't Believe Everything You Read!".

Ikenna.
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by KA24DETT(m): 6:37pm On Sep 14, 2013
Ikenna351:

I do understand you. But i was only trying to point "don't delve into something you do not understand ".

To start with, the link you provided is a complete crap. Secondly, mine js saloon, while the one reviewed in that crappy blog or whatever is coupe. Both have different weight and aerodynamics. The reviewer couldn't even differentiate or fail to realise that 406 is of two phases: Phase I (D8) 1995-1998; Phase II (D9) 1999-2008 or beyond (though, 406 production stopped in France in 2004). Both D8 & D9 V6s have 2 different V6 engines. Similar, but not identical. The D8 V6 has 194 hp, which is the hp the blog claimed v6 upto 2003 had. Those that mean the D9 also has the 194 hp v6?

ES9J4 is the V6 engine in all D8 V6. It was co-produced by Peugeot & Renault after the PRV production stopped in late '90s. It has 194 hp. Mounted only in Saloon and coupe (no D8 v6 SW, i think).

ES9J4S, a V6 engine in D9, from 1999-2004 (also mounted in 807 v6, 407 v6 & 607 v6 as ES9A with constant vvt). It has maximum of 210 hp. It was co-produced by Peugeot, Renualt & Porsche. It's an ES9J4 (D8 v6 ) modified by Porsche for better fuel efficiency and higher hp. It was mounted in D9 Saloon, coupe and SW.

Like i always say, "Don't Believe Everything You Read!".

Ikenna.

Bro, 40mpg on the highway? That's amazing . What's the engine RPM at 100km/hr? Very tall gearing on OD? Am impressed .
U definitely can milk that engine for all it's fuel economy.
Does it have VVT and is it direct injected?
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Ikenna351(m): 7:15pm On Sep 14, 2013
KA24DETT:

Bro, 40mpg on the highway? That's amazing . What's the engine RPM at 100km/hr? Very tall gearing on OD? Am impressed .
U definitely can milk that engine for all it's fuel economy.
Does it have VVT and is it direct injected?

Yes, it has has VVT (on/off).

As for the rpm at 100km/h, i haven't paid attention at rpm at such speed since i usually push the car to that speed with the 4th gear. Though, when am in the mood, i push the car to 100 km/h with the 3rd gear for fun. The experience is unimaginable.

Anyway, i do know that when the car is doing 130 km/h, the tacho needle will rest around 3k rpm.

One thing about V6 people don't know is that if you drive it sensibly, you will get amazing fuel economy out of it. The manual transmission helps me too to achieve that.

Ikenna.
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by ocelot2006(m): 7:51pm On Sep 14, 2013
laykhorn:
Hyundai is Japanese
KAI is Indian

Bros OH!!! Both Hyndai and KIA are South Korean coys, NOT Japanese or Indian oh.
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by Originalsly: 7:55pm On Sep 14, 2013
I did a lot of observation and found out that German and American cars have a very low resale value.OP...I do agree with you and how you come to your conclusion. But then again I can say that is a fact in America and most of Africa...but does the same hold true in Europe or to be more specific Germany? The reasons for the rapid depreciation.....after 5 years I would say instead of 100k + miles....are debatable. Like someone said earlier....e Benz and Camry are non comparable in price nor class...but hey...that's when new but like OP is asking...why 99 Camry and e class Benz in the same price category? The Benz retains its superior class category but not price. I think it has to do with ever increasing problems/and maintenance costs the German and American vehicles require with age.
Re: Why Do German And American Cars Have Low Resale Values? by KA24DETT(m): 8:32pm On Sep 14, 2013
Back to the topic.
I will try to explain more about the resale value from a North american point of view. Please feel free to add or subtract from my analysis .

1. American cars have bad resale value because of RELIABILITY problems and quality. In the early 90s, cost cutting was high, labour costs and layoffs was the driving theme. Chrysler was using plastics in everything. Sitting in a chrysler was like sitting at toys r us. Hard, dark plastics everywhere. Same goes as ford and the general (GM).Head gasket failure in GM northstar engine, Ford 4 banger with broken pistons, chrysler 2.7 with bad oil flow design, bad suspension designs. Reliability suffered and people took their money to the japanese .
2. Rental returns Most of the rental fleet of Avis, National, enterprise are American cars. Most rental companies change their fleet every year or 2. This flooded the Used car market and drove down prices.

German . Mercedes benz in the quest to increase market share in Northamerica has to sell more cars. Mercedez benz has a car for every buyer. New money- C class. Old money - S class. Mad money - G wagon. Psychotic speed demon with class - S class AMG. Wife - ML class.
For every buyer out there, mercedes has a product for you.
In the quest for profit, Quality suffered in the mid 90s. Ranging from suspension problems to electrical problems . When CEO Dieter Zetsche took the helm at Mercedes-Benz, he says "the quality is lousy, the design is troubling". He followed this with some changes like slashing profit forecast and re investing the money into RnD. Mercedes benz Juergen Hubbert, board member responsible for Mercedes-Benz and Smart also said "We are working like hell to correct the glitches that have plagued the electronic control systems in Mercedes-Benz vehicles. We have to learn the right way to organise electronics and have the same reliability standards." Mercedes benz is a huge brand, no other automaker would be at the bottom of JD power and associates in reliability for years and stilll be moving products. Am pretty sure their quality has improved from yesteryears but only time will tell. For now, you can still pick up a 3-5yr old E class for the price of a New Camry and after 10 years, the camry will be worth more than the E class.. Thats the Power of reliability in the used car world

Good thing about this situation is that people who wouldnt afford a luxury car can buy a used one. If their purchase tend to be reliable against norms, they will be more inclined to buy a new mercedes. This brings more business to Mercedes.
On the downside, if the purchase turn out to be a failure, they will not buy any more mercedes and will scream from the roof top to their friends, family, mother , father that noone should buy mercedes. This perception will further reduce sales for mercedes. You know what they say, 'Success has more friends but failure is an orphan"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fit-Car PPV: The World's First Pedal-Powered Car (Pictures) / What Model Of Car Is Best For Nigerian Roads? / Since Petrol Is Now 650per Litter, Our Car Is On Vacation!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.