Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,119 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:14 AM

How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage (18373 Views)

Tips: Reducing Your Data Usage On Android Smartphones / How To Effectively Set Internet Usage Limit / Internet Usage In Africa: Nigeria is Second (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage by deligatus(m): 10:53pm On Sep 14, 2013
Today I will give you some tricks with which you can reduce unnecessary usage of packet data by Windows 8 apps.

First of all, turn off the live tile for those apps which use internet every time you connect the internet like “News, Finance, Travel, Facebook apps etc. But it’s not necessary to turn live tile off for music, video, photos. To do that just go to start menu>right click on the app and click on Turn live tile off .

Secondly, Change your windows update setting. As windows 8 does not require any driver, it downloads the necessary to run the programs and the update is much more than other versions of windows. You can download the updates at one time. Then change the update setting to “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them”.

Then you have to stop all the background process which uses a lot of packet data and download for updating other software. (To update software make it manually). To stop the background download process go through the following steps: Start the task manager>>Select more details (if not selected)>>Click on services tab>>Click on Open Services at the bottom>>a new window will come>> Find Background intelligent Transfer Service and right click over it and stop it. Now close the window and you are done.

Now another fact that system reserves 80% of your total packet data bandwidth and provides 20% for your use. You can change this by following this instructions. For doing this follow the instruction:

At first go to Run>> Then type gpedit.msc and press enter>> you will see a tab Local computer policy and under it see Computer configuration>> Now click on Administrative templates >> now double click on Network on the right side>>> double click on QoS packet scheduler >> then double click on Limit reservable bandwidth>> now a new window will come>> now select Enabled >> make the bandwidth limit to 0%>> now Apply and OK.

Now make sure all the processes stated above. Now see your network meter, hope it will show no packet data usage unless you do surfing or downloading. So , don’t leave using Windows 8 it is a great operating system by Microsoft and don’t feel shy to share any problem you are facing related to this issue .

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage by deligatus(m): 11:01pm On Sep 14, 2013
mod pls front page pls
Re: How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage by abdul01(m): 12:03pm On Mar 29, 2015
Thanks alot for this.

1 Like

Re: How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage by libertyfather(m): 11:26am On Feb 22, 2016
Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage by Kennycyphers(m): 1:26pm On Jun 27, 2016
I tried "gpedit.msc" on Run but it brought out this info "windows cannot find gpedit.MSC".. well I have done the other 2 processes to reduce consumption. Cos my PC is really sucking my hotspotted data.. I guess its due to the windows update and all..

1 Like

Re: How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage by Kennycyphers(m): 1:28pm On Jun 27, 2016
Thanks a lot

1 Like

Re: How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage by fizyalasdair(m): 7:11pm On Sep 18, 2016
Very Nice Write Up

1 Like

Re: How To Control Windows 8 Data Usage by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 03, 2016
Thanks a lot. God bless you.

(1) (Reply)

Upgrading 2gb Ram To 4gb/8gb / How To Know That Your Pc Has Been Hacked / Hp Elitebook 8460p Intel Corei5. 320gb 4gb Fingerprint.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.