Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,789 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour (35240 Views)

A Tale Of Abraka, Delta State; The Derelict University Town / Which West African Countries Do You Prefer Except Nigeria / West African Countries Hate Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 7:35am On Oct 14, 2013
edwonderz: Bienvenue mon grand frère monsieur Tonye. Tu es très drôle.
I never knew you are also a writer... So talented!!
Nice adventure. Please call me I lost your number.

Dear nairalanders, please always be careful and vigilant at every border if you are traveling by road to another country especially if you have to sleep there at night. We had a bitter experience 3days ago at the Ghana/Togo border upon our return to Lagos from Abijan. We lost all our valuables to robbers and that wasn't funny at all.
Note: I + other passengers = we

Good to have you back Monsieur..

Bienvenue...

So sorry about what happened at the border...

I shall call you today.... smiley
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 7:39am On Oct 14, 2013
Hello friends,

Good morning.

How are you today and how was the night?

I trust that all is fine with you all...

Thanks for all your sweet comments...

At least three updates are on the way today...

Je vous souhaite une bonne journee aujourd'hui... (Translation: I wish you a successful day today).. smiley

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by pickabeau1: 9:12am On Oct 14, 2013
Thanks for your post
Please can you give more information on exactly what we need to be cautious about

edwonderz: Bienvenue mon grand frère monsieur Tonye. Tu es très drôle.
I never knew you are also a writer... So talented!!
Nice adventure. Please call me I lost your number.

Dear nairalanders, please always be careful and vigilant at every border if you are traveling by road to another country especially if you have to sleep there at night. We had a bitter experience 3days ago at the Ghana/Togo border upon our return to Lagos from Abijan. We lost all our valuables to robbers and that wasn't funny at all.
Note: I + other passengers = we
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by Shine1177: 9:34am On Oct 14, 2013
ajasa4link: nice write up Mr.tonye, but d issue with nysc u mentioned in ur initial post,I never heard of it before,maybe it's peculiar to ur school...In fact I know of a graduate of lasu who got admitted through direct entry and currently seeing out his service year in bauchi.. Back to ur story, something tells me u are a son of a pastor or someone who is deeply religious. u mean u didn't knack zika apako at all?...chai ! bros eh,not even any other togolese lady?
BROS U ARE SLEEPING ON THE BICYCLE! [i][/i]

The OP is dead right on the JAMB registration issue because my junior sister who got admission through direct entry had to pay #5,000 for JAMB registration number to be eligible to serve (NYSC), its a national issue not particular to his school.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by davades(m): 10:23am On Oct 14, 2013
TONYE001: So friends, How is the story going? Please feel free to make comments.

Merci.

Working on the next update...

The story is cool tho but I'll want u to translate the price of things there to Naira when it comes to monetary matter. So u want to tell me u dnt date any Togolesse girls?
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 10:46am On Oct 14, 2013
Monsieur Idi, I’m hungry” I complained as we drove.

“We’ll head to a restaurant then.” Idi said.

“That’s ok. I’m sure you guys are hungry too, let’s hurry down please” I said.

“What would you love to eat monsieur?” Idi asked.

Monsieur le Cow-boy, whatever you Senegalese eat. Let’s just go to a local restaurant.” I said.

D’accord.” Monsieur Idi said as he spoke with the driver in Wolof.

A phase of silence passed as everyone was deep in his thoughts.

“Look there!” Idi exclaimed pointing to an island about 2-3km at sea from the main harbor.

I turned to see a small, hilly island with a couple of buildings on it.

Cow-boy Idi asked the driver to stop as we stepped down and walked to a position where we most appreciated the site.

“That’s the Île de Gorée (Translation: Goree Island)” he said still pointing.

“Ok. So, what’s the Goree Island?” I asked as I brought out my camera from my bag.

“The Atlantic Slave Traders captured slaves from the city here and took them down there. The slaves were sold and taken away to Europe from there.” he explained.

“Wow. It must have been awful for the slaves.” I said taking multiple pictures of the island.

We remained there for about 10 minutes or so taking pictures as we discussed slave trade in Senegal. I observed locally made engine boats as they carried passengers to and from the island. It was indeed a sight to behold.

We soon returned to our taxi as we continued the journey in search of a local restaurant. As we drove, I observed how Senegalese rode on horses by the roadside as they carried heavy loads in carts.

We arrived at Restaurant le Phare, Chez Aby, a restaurant located at the shore. We stepped in and took a table.

I ordered for a local Irish potato dish prepared with myonese sauce, cucumber, and some edible leaves with a bottle of coconut water. Cow-boy Idi and the driver placed their orders too. As we waited for the delivery of our orders, we were served French bread, butter, and some local drink as starters.

Our food was served in about 30 to 40 minutes’ time. We ate and drank quietly with the sound of the tide at the background.
[…to be continued]

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 10:48am On Oct 14, 2013
Île de Gorée

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 10:50am On Oct 14, 2013
Monsieur le Cow-boy Idi[i][/i]

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 10:53am On Oct 14, 2013
The meal I ate at Restaurant le Phare, Chez Aby

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 10:57am On Oct 14, 2013
Restaurant le Phare, Chez Aby

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 11:00am On Oct 14, 2013
Horses are used at Dakar to carry loads...

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by ojeota(f): 11:12am On Oct 14, 2013
Hmmm...Interesting...am enjoying every bit of it.
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 14, 2013
Monsieur Tonye pls wot does D'accord means?
Is irish potatoes called Harish potatoes in senegal?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by ojeota(f): 12:16pm On Oct 14, 2013
Monsieur Tonye pls wot does D'accord means?
Thank.

D'accord means agreed.
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 12:43pm On Oct 14, 2013
ojeota: Monsieur Tonye pls wot does D'accord means?
Thank.

D'accord means agreed.

Thank you.

No, it isn't called Harish potato...

It was a mistake... Thank you... smiley
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 12:45pm On Oct 14, 2013
Ayasunmbo: Monsieur Tonye pls wot does D'accord means?
Thanks

D'accord is used to express agreement, mostly.

No, it isn't called Harish potatoes. It was a mistake and I've made the necessary corrections.

Thanks... smiley

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 14, 2013
TONYE001:

D'accord is used to express agreement, mostly.

No, it isn't called Harish potatoes. It was a mistake and I've made the necessary corrections.

Thanks... smiley
Owk thanks for d clarification.
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by JewelBukky(f): 2:10pm On Oct 14, 2013
The Lord is ur strength sir! Carry on!
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by malipalina: 2:21pm On Oct 14, 2013
i never knew this 'll be so interesting. i suspended everything and read...........from end to end.
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by comrChris(m): 2:24pm On Oct 14, 2013
what a lovely thread mods wanted to sweep under the carpet,thank God for restoring their sensescheesycheesy Op thank u mightly for this,u r such a great person,ur choice of words presentation is d best l ve ever seen,still waiting
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by adediamond07(m): 2:29pm On Oct 14, 2013
Sir Tony, nous sommes toujours en attente de la deuxième et de la troisième mise à jour. plus d'encre de votre stylo, plus ion de votre batterie et plus «dollar» à votre porte-monnaie.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 3:20pm On Oct 14, 2013
adediamond07: Sir Tony, nous sommes toujours en attente de la deuxième et de la troisième mise à jour. plus d'encre de votre stylo, plus ion de votre batterie et plus «dollar» à votre porte-monnaie.

Merci...

Je suis en train de faire ca... smiley
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by 9ja4eva: 5:42pm On Oct 14, 2013
Tonylyte:
dis naija4eva of a dude, u be seun broda? U don tay nairaland sha, enough to even b admin..i google sum ting, the gratification wey i get ya comment dey there. Far back tinz.

LOL..wetin u google? I don really tey for nairaland sha. #egbonthingz
Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by edwonderz(m): 7:36pm On Oct 14, 2013
pickabeau1: Thanks for your post
Please can you give more information on exactly what we need to be cautious about

According to my experience, all I could say is; Be mindful of the things you eat.

We left Abijan by 8:50am in a convoy and was hoping to cross Ghana/Togo border before 9pm because it's usually closed by 10pm. Unfortunately we couldn't beat the time so we got there by 10:43pm.
One of the (good Samaritan) soldiers that guards the border came to where we parked and told us to be careful that the place is not very safe, he futher stressed that we shouldn't go closer to the beach side no matter what, that we should always stay/stroll in group; "if anything happen to you here you are on our own o" he exclaimed with his deep Ghanaian English accent before he left.

Being aware of how dangerous the border is, we decided that only our drivers should sleep and the rest 11 passengers should be vigilant till dawn.
The 11 of us came down from the vehicle to feel the natural wind that blows from the Atlantic ocean which was just about 170 metres away from us, as engaged ourselves in a great conversation, reminiscing about our tour in Côte d'Ivoire, we talked about the experiences we all had: we talked about how we rode our bicycle to all the villages and cities in Ivory Coast, we commenced from a remote village called 'Touba' and rode to a tourist village called 'Man'. From Man - Zoukougbeu - Bonon - Yakro - Bouaké - Katiola - Ferké - (back to) Bouaké - Sakassu - Yamoussoukro - Dimbokro - Bonguanu - Daoukro - Adzopé - Abijan all in 9days.
We talked about THE PAIN we went through during the ride, THE GLORY we all have now after the ride. We talked about their CULTURE, FOOD, GOVERNANCE, NIGHTLIFE, especially their WOMEN..... hmmm so fun to be with.
(I wish was a good writer like my friend Tonye I would had emphasized more on the bolded words and tell my own sweet story, thus I need to work on my English structures 1st).

OK back to the matter; it was between 1am and everywhere was still luminous because of the 24hrs uninterrupted power supply they have in those countries, some shops were still open and we were still sober, sticking to our agreement before one chap rolled towards our direction with his mobile tea shop. We called him and every one of us bought and we all drank a cup of hot nescafé.
However, to my deepest surprise, none of us is able to recall what happened after a cup of nescafé, we don't even know how we all slept off at the same time and was unconscious while the little rat parted with some of our valuables.
I am astonished up till this moment. It was our drivers that woke us up in the morning and we started asking ourselves what happened. Lol! perhaps that's part of the adventure.

Moral lesson: Be careful of all these borders especially at night and don't eat any how food from any how person even if you are starving.
Au-revoir.

16 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by henrimoto(m): 8:20pm On Oct 14, 2013
@edwonderz... eeyaah! sorry for the sad experience.. omo.., na really strong thing the "Mai Tea" do una there. eeyaah... sorry. twenty years from now, you no go forget the incidence!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by touchmeder: 8:28pm On Oct 14, 2013
edwonderz:
it was between 1am and everywhere was still luminous because of the 24hrs uninterrupted power supply they have in those countries, some shops were still open and we were still sober, sticking to our agreement before one chap rolled towards our direction with his mobile tea shop. We called him and every one of us bought and we all drank a cup of hot nescafé.
However, to my deepest surprise, none of us is able to recall what happened after a cup of nescafé, we don't even know how we all slept off at the same time and was unconscious while the little rat parted with some of our valuables.
I am astonished up till this moment. It was our drivers that woke us up in the morning and we started asking ourselves what happened. Lol! perhaps that's part of the adventure.

Moral lesson: Be careful of all these borders especially at night and don't eat any how food from any how person even if you are starving.
Au-revoir.

Wow you guys DRANK SOMETHING AND ALL SLEPT. That is just shocking honestly shocked The soldiers may have been part of it too. SHOCKING!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by pickabeau1: 8:33pm On Oct 14, 2013
@Ed
Sorry for the experience
May you be restored in due time
Thank God your life was not tampered with

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by ChiSun27(m): 9:27am On Oct 15, 2013
pickabeau1: @Ed
Sorry for the experience
May you be restored in due time
Thank God your life was not tampered with

@ED...I feel for you..ndo!

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by JewelBukky(f): 10:16am On Oct 15, 2013
@Ed, so sorry abt dt. God will restore ur loss in manifolds.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by rennylaw(m): 10:38am On Oct 15, 2013
Tonye where are you o. please come and continue the captivating story. I really enjoyed every bit of the ones i read so far.
kudos to you sir.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by christejames(m): 12:54pm On Oct 15, 2013
Wht a beautiful and cool adventure more ink to ur pen and power to ur elbow @tonye cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander's Tale On His West African Tour by TONYE001(m): 12:56pm On Oct 15, 2013
Hello friends...

Greetings... smiley

I'm so sorry for being scarce...

I'm having a very busy time..

I hope to continue this evening..

Thanks for understanding... smiley

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Photos From Motor Accident At Ikeja Along, Lagos / Toyota Sienna Crashes Into A Bush In Delta, Many Injured (Graphic Photos) / Dirt Takes Over Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.