Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,188 members, 7,811,481 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

Women’s Independence: A Ticket To Insults? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women’s Independence: A Ticket To Insults? (792 Views)

My Wife Insults And Threatens My Fiancee / Happy 1st Birthday, My Precious Daughter Michelle Ife Morire Independence / What to Do When Your Child Insults You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women’s Independence: A Ticket To Insults? by adegeorge(m): 9:07am On Sep 16, 2013
In an attempt to make his wife productive and have reason to fulfil her financial freedom, Tunde opened a word-class boutique for his wife. According to Tunde, ‘it has been my desire to see my wife have her dreams of owning something of her own without any form of control from any quarters as she has always yearned’. The boutique situated in one of the high-brow areas of Abuja buzzed with heavy patronage, thanks to Tunde’s high connections and great links to societal juggernauts.

His noble dream was received with
excitement by his wife of 11 years. Soon
after, the financial freedom got hold of
the woman. Tunde became her mate in
terms of responsibilities in the house.
Tunde had a robbery attack one
weekend, his ATMs and an unspecified
amount was taken by the robbers
including his car. On reaching home he
requested for some money for a flight to
Abuja for a business meeting. His wife
declined and told him to look for money
elsewhere to galivant, that her money
was not for wastage. By this simple act
Tunde missed out on the business.
Trouble broke out and now they are in
court seeking divorce. Was Mr. Tunde
wrong to set up a business for his wife?
Was the wife right to have responded the
way she did, knowing fully well that the
business was set up all by and with the
husband’s money? In this piece let’s
reason together on the rightness or
otherwise of women’s financial
independence in a home and the
resultant behaviours.

http://ipledge2nigeria.com/index.php/blogs/entry/womens-independence-a-ticket-to-insults.html
Re: Women’s Independence: A Ticket To Insults? by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 16, 2013
Not very busy today so I read the whole story. Marriage is a risk just like every other thing in life. I believe there is nothing wrong in making your wife financially independent because the benefits far outway the risks. Whether or not the story is true is irrelevant, but we have these kind of situations in our society today.

My point is that making your wife financially independent has more benefits than risks. If she turns around and begins to insult you, then it means she was always going to do that anyway. Even if she is still dependent on you, one day she could meet a sugardaddy who could promise her more wealth and follow him. Sometimes it is better knowing someone's true colours. I will never encourage guys to make their wives financially dependent on them because it could be risky. If you set your wife up and she turns around and starts to insult you, trust me, she was always going to insult you, the money was just the catalyst!
Re: Women’s Independence: A Ticket To Insults? by LewsTherin: 4:34pm On Sep 17, 2013
I agree with Nashville. True story or not, this kind of situation has happened at some time or other in some family or other.

I agree it is far more beneficial to ensure that a wife is financially capable. I agree it is far more beneficial that a wife bring something to the table money wise. I agree that any husband that has the means should encourage, assist or even ensure that the wife has a means of making income.

That said, I believe marriage should be treated, like Isaac Asimov put it, as the Firm of Johnny and Sue. I believe being married makes a couple one and so it is wise to have their funds in common - irrespective of who makes the larger share. That being the case, there will be no incidence of "my money" or "my wife's money" or "wife, please borrow me some money" or "husby dearest, I need you to borrow me some money".

If a married couple do things in common, the status of the wife's business will be well known to the husband and the man will not look for what is not there. The status of the husband's finances will be well known to the wife and so she will be fully aware that the husband (in the OP's case) will need additional funds to go for that trip.

If this level of openness and trust is absent, then I don't know what they are doing in the union and calling it marriage.

1 Like

Re: Women’s Independence: A Ticket To Insults? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 17, 2013
adegeorge: Was Mr. Tunde
wrong to set up a business for his wife?
No. He wasn't wrong and shouldn't blame himself for her cold actions.

adegeorge: Was the wife right to have responded the way she did, knowing fully well that the business was set up all by and with the husband’s money?
Absolutely NOT. She is an ingrate.

(1) (Reply)

Christian Education And It's Beneficts To The Family. / Boy, 3, Murdered After He Wet The Bed / Is It Proper For A Teenager To Be In A Relationship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.