Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students - Education (678) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students (3482743 Views)

What You Don't Know About National Open University Of Nigeria (noun) / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) MBA Students. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) (680) (681) ... (1580) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by sojmann(m): 11:07am On Mar 09, 2017
Any comtech 400level student in the house?
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Funkybabee(f): 11:10am On Mar 09, 2017
Adeskillz:
Pls I av pay 50k out of 65k,can I proceed wit course registration before paying d remaining one pls I nid urgent reply

yes, you can.but I think u can only register for courses not examination.And u can't even log in now because they are upgrading the portal

Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Billyzone4: 11:56am On Mar 09, 2017
Benue makurdi Centers anyone
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by moyinoluwabun(m): 11:57am On Mar 09, 2017
Got this information from the school portal
Contact NOUMIS

Currently as we are in maintenance mode, students and most members of staff will not be able to login to the portal. Admission services are however available for applicants. Also note that the University schedule has been ultered especially with regards to course registration, exam registration, and TMAs. The next five weeks have been reserved for semester and course registrations only. After that there is a 7 week period for examination registration and submission of TMAs. Finally examinations will take place in June. Watchout for details of the new University schedule which will be published here soon!

***copied
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by chidexkelly113: 12:44pm On Mar 09, 2017
please can someone help me, i am trying to log in on tma portal but i get an error message and i cannot do my TMA,
is because of the upgrade of site, and if yes, how long will it take. i don tire for all this Change era. even NOUN portal have being affected by CHANGE and students are suffering.....
please help!!!

I also need a student group chat that can feed me information about the progress of school(NOUN)
my contact is:08095696822

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by LionInZion: 12:56pm On Mar 09, 2017
Good day friends, do we have any Business education undergraduate here? I am one and I will like us to share information. Thanks
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Anthonyo15(m): 1:21pm On Mar 09, 2017
moyinoluwabun:
Got this information from the school portal
Contact NOUMIS

Currently as we are in maintenance mode, students and most members of staff will not be able to login to the portal. Admission services are however available for applicants. Also note that the University schedule has been ultered especially with regards to course registration, exam registration, and TMAs. The next five weeks have been reserved for semester and course registrations only. After that there is a 7 week period for examination registration and submission of TMAs. Finally examinations will take place in June. Watchout for details of the new University schedule which will be published here soon!

***copied

Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Anthonyo15(m): 3:09pm On Mar 09, 2017
chidexkelly113:
please can someone help me, i am trying to log in on tma portal but i get an error message and i cannot do my TMA,
is because of the upgrade of site, and if yes, how long will it take. i don tire for all this Change era. even NOUN portal have being affected by CHANGE and students are suffering.....
please help!!!

I also need a student group chat that can feed me information about the progress of school(NOUN)
my contact is:08095696822
. Try later!!!
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 09, 2017
Do I really have to go to Abuja to get my transcript ? Please anyone with genuine information regarding the procedure of acquiring transcript should put me through.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Profandie(m): 4:50pm On Mar 09, 2017
donplus1:

It's even 90units minimum. ..with 115 u are gud to go
Please how many units for Masters in Educational Technology?
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Anthonyo15(m): 5:44pm On Mar 09, 2017
Vice-Chancellor, Prof Abdalla Uba Adamu, middle, hosting the management of The Authority Newspapers, led by its MD/Editor-in-Chief, Mr Modu Onuarah, in his office.

The entourage includes the newspaper's Executive Director, South East, Joe Nwankwo, Editor, Saturday, Malachy Uzendu, General Manager, (Administration), Nse Okunlola and Head, Advertising, Mercy Kataiko.

They are at the university's headquarters to pay a courtesy and congratulate him over his appointment.

1 Like

Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by sunny777: 6:06pm On Mar 09, 2017
Please, I have #4,000 in my e-wallet as at the end of last semester but this was not added to the amount paid few days ago. How do I handle this?
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by NoBetterNigeria: 6:32pm On Mar 09, 2017
Please help, i was given admission mid last year and didn't go for registration then. Can i still use the same admission now? PGD Business Administration
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Anthonyo15(m): 7:52pm On Mar 09, 2017
BENIN-STUDY CENTER : List of recently approved project topics now available on school's notice board

1 Like

Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by olulove(m): 9:15pm On Mar 09, 2017
sojmann:
Any comtech 400level student in the house?

Yes sir. ....I greet u sir
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Emanus: 10:59pm On Mar 09, 2017
Pls when is new graduation list coming out. I will like to know pls.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Anthonyo15(m): 7:26am On Mar 10, 2017
ATTENTION!!! ATTENTION!!!
Your IT starts anytime you are ready and have the requisite documents. If you are ready to get yours now, go to ur study centre and do the needful.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Billyzone4: 9:15am On Mar 10, 2017
Please is the school fees really 18k for new students compulsory payment keep seeing it on the portal
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by fid1m: 12:31pm On Mar 10, 2017
Gudday houx.
Som1 pls help.
Is 36 unit gud 2 go 4 Msc info tech?
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Nobody: 2:16pm On Mar 10, 2017

3 Likes

Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by PaulHM: 2:37pm On Mar 10, 2017
Hello nounites, I need my cert oooo, please when is the March Graduation List coming out.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Yubee40(m): 8:53pm On Mar 10, 2017
I would like to know if anyone on this forum has used an M.Sc frm NOUN to apply to undergo a PHD in any federal or state university in Nigeria.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by promisechild(m): 9:57pm On Mar 10, 2017
Yubee40:
I would like to know if anyone on this forum has used an M.Sc frm NOUN to apply to undergo a PHD in any federal or state university in Nigeria.
it is acceptable in any university in the world. I know of four persons who gained admission into the first generation university with noun msc cert.

4 Likes

Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by osic(m): 3:48pm On Mar 11, 2017
Anyone know the date for IT defense for Lagos study centre
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by vision2050: 4:09pm On Mar 11, 2017
Where can I download course material? the previous site is showing not found.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by pharie(f): 6:53pm On Mar 11, 2017
Are you interested in earning while you study
Are you interested in earning to pay your fees, enjoy some good luxury as a student Or you just want to have a feel of what salary earners experience?
Project and Research Nigeria (PRN) is here to give you all these opportunities and the answers
PRN is a platform owned and run by SOUTECH VENTURES. it is a premium platform for consultancy on standard research in Undergraduate, Postgraduate (Msc, Phd), Workplace and Occupational Project Freelance Center. Its services involves bringing experts input to assist in various academic and occupational projects/assignment . we provide help for all disciplines ranging from Marketing, Finance, Medicine, Hr, Engineering etc
There are millions of term papers, projects, articles, research work, thesis, occupational documentations, drawings, paintings, intellectual properties that are being churned out of school and work places, They are dumped forever after its first use.
In PRN, we seek to add more value to these works, by helping owners make money by selling them to people around the world. People who need them for research and legitimate purposes. we also provide an array for Nigerians to sell their works legally without going through the rigour of mass production in hard copies or publishing them.
We are currently looking for Aggregators in Lagos state.
REQUIREMENTS
Must be Smart and outspoken,
Must be a 3rd year student and above currently engaged in a tertiary institution in Lagos state ( class reps,dpt presidents, faculty presidents, lecturers and owners of IT firms within the institution are most welcome and of more advantage),
must be internet savvy,
should be currently enrolled/ have presence in any ( university, polytechnic, national teachers institution NTI, art schools/ colleges,NOUN,etc)
RESPONSIBILITIES
list works (undergraduate and PG works, journals, Academic SIWES report, term papers, project research, business documents, paintings, etc) monthly.
Actively share PRN content via social media, bbm, WhatsApp etc,
write two short articles on any topic of choice monthly and sent to the state coordinator,
send summary report to state coordinator weekly.
Renumeration #65,000 per month
Interested and qualified candidates should send a short writeup of 2 paragraphs on your biodata and reasons why you want to be a PRN aggregator to faridaabdul16@gmail.com or call 09099154944 on / before Tuesday 14th of march 2017 by 12pm.
Goodluck
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 11, 2017
Hello house, pls which of the noun website can I download course materials
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Nobody: 10:25pm On Mar 11, 2017
opaniyi12:
Hello house, pls which of the noun website can I download course materials

nou.edu.ng
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Anthonyo15(m): 11:15pm On Mar 11, 2017
NYSC AND IT'S UNLAWFUL DISCRIMINATION AGAINST NOUN STUDENTS BY Elias Ozikpu

As Nigerians, one of the distasteful cultures that we grow up to inherit is the flagrant disobedience of established laws which is often executed with boundless impunity. One of the delusional convictions of those championing this cause is the belief that their actions cannot be challenged by anyone, however grave and unlawful such actions may be. This is largely so since the society, for quite a long time in the history of its existence, has consciously encouraged and even nurtured the culture of indiscipline, recklessness and total disregard for the laws of the land. The result of this unfortunate system is that it has successfully created a society with individualistic government, thereby invalidating the supreme laws of the land. This is a monumental tragedy and the reason for which our society has acquired a broken leg. More disheartening is the reality that the vices responsible for this deformity have grown so bold and ravenous!
To avoid misconceptions of all shapes and sizes, it is proper to emphatically state that this article is solely aimed at questioning the unlawful decision of the authorities of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) to debar fellow students of the National Open University of Nigeria from participating in the one year service scheme like other universities across the nation. That no one has risen to properly challenge this deplorable decision strikes me with unusual puzzlement.

I must, unapologetically, affirm that there is no legal ground on which the authorities of NYSC should bar students of the National Open University of Nigeria or any accredited university in Nigeria from participating in the scheme. I will prove this by presenting clauses as contained in the NYSC Act. Whilst I present these clauses, certain words may be capitalised for emphasis. Such emphasis are entirely mine, employed to achieve certain effects:

Section 2(1) of the NYSC Act says:

‘Subject to the provision of this Decree, EVERY NIGERIAN shall

a. if, at the end of the academic year 1972-73 or, as the case may be, at the end of any subsequent academic year, he shall have graduated at ANY university in Nigeria.’

Quite obviously, the Act did not indicate the exclusion of graduates of National Open University of Nigeria or any other accredited university. It explicitly said ANY UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA, and National Open University is clearly not a Congolese institution. I challenge the authorities of the NYSC to repudiate the existence of this clause. My deduction, therefore, is that the ongoing discrimination against fellow students of National Open University of Nigeria is the product of those running the agency, who have resorted to apply personal sentiments in a desperate attempt to squash ethical standards.

Although the Act did provide, in clearly written clauses, circumstances that may render certain graduates ineligible to participate in the Service Corps, these clauses pointed no finger at students of National Open University of Nigeria or any other accredited university in the country. I have presented the clauses below whilst putting the general public on the Judge’s seat:

Section 2 (2) says:

‘Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, with effect from 1st August, 1985, a person shall not be called upon to serve in the service corps; at the date of his graduation or obtaining his diploma or other professional qualification –

a. He is over the age of thirty

b. He has served in the armed forces of the Federation or the Nigeria Police Force for a period of more than nine months

c. He is a member of any of the following, that is:

i. The Nigerian Security Organisation

ii. The State Security Service

iii. The National Intelligence Agency

iv. The Defence Intelligence Service

d. He has been conferred with any National Honour.

After rendering the above clauses as contained in the NYSC Act, it remains to me an inscrutable mystery why authorities of NYSC should unlawfully debar Nigerian graduates from National Open University of Nigeria and with no one raising an eyebrow at the scale of such brazen injustice. I should like to learn, is this facile discrimination a way of questioning the intellectual competence of graduates of the institution? Or a way of expressing inordinate antipathy towards these graduates? Let me say, with boundless certitude that the feeling of antipathy and the obvious scepticism they nurse as regards our intellectual competence have nicely manifested into this fully-fledged discrimination.

The point of my observations should be quite clear by now, namely that the NYSC scheme is NOT the prerogative of any university in Nigeria as the authorities of the agency have made it to be! And that the authorities of NYSC are legally incapacitated to debar graduates of the National Open University of Nigeria or any other accredited university in Nigeria from participating in the scheme. That this simple truth is glossed over is largely due to the fact that (as I stated at the beginning of this article), our society has fostered a world where scorning or trampling on established laws attract a standing ovation. Preposterous!

I have previously read articles telling stories about how NYSC awards ‘Certificate of Exemption’ to graduates of National Open University of Nigeria. Doing so is to brutally insult the intellectual sensibilities of these students who are not less gifted than their counterparts in other universities. Can no one see the unreserved antipathy that this agency holds towards these students? Can no one feel the undercurrent hostility against a group of students who clearly have the backing of the law on the matter under reference? That the authorities of the National Open University of Nigeria have made no single reference to the NYSC Act, a document recognised in Section 315 (5) (a) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, leaves behind a trail of questions on the supposed spirited efforts by the University to ensure its students are mobilised for the Service Corps exercise. It is unthinkable that the world should continue to look on with such utter silence whilst some individuals run the terrible risk of creating factions in our academic community. In the midst of this ominous situation, what appears frightening to me is that no one seems to understand the insidious implications of allowing the survival of such factions.

Partnering in this despicable business of discrimination against graduates of National Open University of Nigeria is the Council of Legal Education (CLE) that has firmly sworn never to admit Law graduates from National Open University of Nigeria into the Nigerian Law School. Well, let me not dance with two deadly masquerades in the face of this terrible night. God willing, I will strongly address the Council of Legal Education on their discriminatory stance in another article.

For now, what I must say is that we cannot embark on this dangerous trip of celebrating prejudice without undermining our own progress and civilisation as a nation and as a people. To this, I must seek your permission to quote a very brilliant assertion by one of the world’s greatest thinkers and writers, Professor Chinua Achebe. Hear him:

‘America, which we copy when it suits us, should provide an excellent example to us in this connection: that although we may not be able to legislate prejudice and bigotry out of the hearts and minds of individual citizens, the state itself and all its institutions must not practice, endorse or condone such habits.’

Professor Chinua Achebe made this loud cry thirty-two years ago, some years before Providence ushered me into a world where justice is sadly the scarcest commodity. It is not surprising, therefore, that with the pace of civilisation in the 21st century, individuals
and even state-owned institutions in Nigeria are still being pictured casting narcissistic glances at the garments of discrimination in which they clad. With the weight of this guilt resting so precariously upon us, I am left with the heart-rending conclusion that we quite do not have the moral justification to question the consistent racial prejudice that our compatriots get subjected to in the West. Doing so would be quite hypocritical, to say the least. Indeed, the wanton and colossal destruction inflicted upon the Nigerian soul by these champions of discrimination is simply unforgivable!

There exist no tenable reasons for negotiating, pleading, or holding discussions of any kind with those heading the Service Corps in a bid to persuade them to ‘consider’ students of National Open University of Nigeria to participate in a scheme for which they already have the full endorsement of the law. But here lies the unprepossessing antithesis of life, particularly in a society like ours where injustice has been so extolled to a point where the victim, unfortunate as always, must be loud in heaping adulatory songs upon his fierce-looking oppressor.

Although the management of NYSC may not be armed with the natural decency to render any apology to students of National Open University of Nigeria for this long-standing injustice, they must, however, reverse their unlawful decision within the maximum period of one month from the date of this publication. In the event that they insist on treading on this anarchical path, authorities of the National Open University of Nigeria should, on the reliable strength of the quoted clauses contained in the NYSC Act, immediately take DECISIVE STEPS to ensure that it defends the interest of its victimised students, using the appropriate channels as prescribed by the law. If the University fails to intervene in spite of the revelation of the above clauses, such silence shall be construed as complicity.

For now, this is what I have to say on the lingering issue of NYSC at the National Open University of Nigeria. And now that I have cleared the heavy cloud in my heart, sleep will pay me a visit tonight!

Elias Ozikpu studies at the National Open University of Nigeria. He is an activist, playwright, novelist, polemicist.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by lakesidepapa(m): 11:47pm On Mar 11, 2017
Anthonyo15:
ATTENTION!!! ATTENTION!!!
Your IT starts anytime you are ready and have the requisite documents. If you are ready to get yours now, go to ur study centre and do the needful.

Good job u're doing here anthony, I'm planning to get the requisite documents to kick starts my IT, as I'll start lately, will that have an affect on my result/grading because it won't last up to 6months before exam starts. Thanks.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students by Gazelle22: 7:44am On Mar 12, 2017
Following rumor making rounds in Social Media that Students Union Government have been formed in the National Open University of Nigeria, be aware that National Open University of Nigeria do not approve any Student Union Government. The Act establishing the institution forbids such. As long as NOUN is concerned, there is no Students Union Government. I wonder if any of you here is aware of or belong to any.

Forming unions or associations has its merits and downsides.

Yes, your voices would be heard, but recall that in most instances, the actions of students fire back. In most schools, students, led by SUG will protest with noble intentions. But hoodlums will hijack the protest to cause mayhem. In some cases, such miscreants are even sponsored by the school authorities just to give bad name to the dog in order to hang it. In the end, school is shutdown for a long time, reopened, and students are asked to pay damages. Here, even the SUG abandon the students to their fate instead of protesting the payment of damages again. That makes we wonder if there is a sort of criminal conspiracy between the SUG and school authorities to share the proceeds of such damages. Here again, the hapless and gullible students are the final victims.

Be aware too that formation of students union will ultimately lead to staff union institutionalization. The wave of strike actions leading to disruption of academic calendars across conventional universities in Nigeria today is yet to be experienced in National Open University of Nigeria due to the absence of unionism.

I, Gazelle, with the assistance of some like-minds, personally moved to organize unionism in Owerri Study Center two years ago. I clashed with the school management at that time for that purpose. I studied the developments then and pulled out. I sent warning to Lagos then regarding the way to go about theirs. They refused to listen. That led to expulsion of students, court actions, change of leadership of the school management, and finally the challenges we are undergoing presently.

In my advice, the school management is doing their best. After all, fees has crashed right now. A more sturdy, responsive and effective portal is being built.

Our problem is not school management but government agencies like NYSC and Council of Legal Education - CLE.

Nothing damaging is happening in the school yet to desperately call for Unionism. Even students union in Nigeria today are toothless bulldogs, inept and corrupt. Those moving for Unionism are only doing that to satisfy that selfish egos - power, fame and pecuniary gains.

©GAZELLE

(1) (2) (3) ... (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) (680) (681) ... (1580) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.