Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,290 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. (2264 Views)

FG Cancels Federal University Of Health Sciences In Otukpo Approved By GEJ / 2011/2012 Unizik Admission Cut Off Mark For The Faculty Of Basic Medical Science. / College Of Health Sciences In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. by Ugwuoba2012(m): 7:55am On Sep 18, 2013
What is the essence of the bsc human physiology,anatomy or pharmacology programmes in our universities since graduates of these courses are not needed in the health ,public or private sectors. Graduates of these field are meant to be lecturers and researchers but how many lecturers are employed every year in nigeria and we have few bio-medical research institutions to absorb them...to me Nuc should scrap out the bsc human physiology,anatomy and pharmcology courses in the undergraduate level so that it can be offered only in the postgraduate level since medical doctors are given preference in the field and there is no job adverts for bsc holders of those fields inorder to reduce unemployment.

1 Like

Re: Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. by Acidosis(m): 8:38am On Sep 18, 2013
Most people today find themselves in Physiology/Pharmacology/Anatomy/Medical Biochemistry department after the college of Medicine failed to admit them for MBBS...

I'll always advice such people never to accept para-medical courses.. Its a sure key to frustration except the individual involved is ready to explore other sectors.

Same applies to most courses in the faculty of science.

Who wants to employ a physiologist in a hospital when the Doc is ready and willing to do everything?

Or a Medical Biochemist when the Lab Scientist is available?

Pharmacology on the other hand is completely different from Pharmacy..
A Pharmacist cannot do the work of a Pharmacologist...

But who employs them to practise in Nigeria?

Now that all we do is import drugs from India and then call a Pharmacist to come for packaging and registration.

I think its time for NUC to completely cancel all 'irrelevant' courses to a common Nigerian in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. by marvelling(m): 8:40am On Sep 18, 2013
Re: Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. by marvelling(m): 8:47am On Sep 18, 2013
I heard a new board has been constituted for the medical laboratory science council. Maybe they may look into, and hopefully reverse the suspension of the accreditation & licensing programme they initially ran for bsc holders in biochemistry & microbiology. I heard that BMS graduates will also benefit from this. Those with bsc anatomy/physiology can do histopathology. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Re: Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. by Ugwuoba2012(m): 7:32pm On Sep 18, 2013
To me there is no need for this courses in nigeria since the health sector dont recognise them they only recognise medicine,pharmacy and health sciences and the worst part of it is that a good number of universities have started offering this courses,are you offering a course without any good plans for the graduate. They just have to scrap it off or change the curriculum,put some clinicals into it. not after a student have finished reading hefty books you will tell the person to go and buy a direct entry form to study medicine...even in postgraduate so many Bms graduates with Msc are still unable to secure an employment where people with Mbbs are prefered so what is the essence of it.
Re: Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. by marvelling(m): 8:54pm On Sep 18, 2013
Ugwuoba 2012: To me there is no need for this courses in nigeria since the health sector dont recognise them they only recognise medicine,pharmacy and health sciences and the worst part of it is that a good number of universities have started offering this courses,are you offering a course without any good plans for the graduate. They just have to scrap it off or change the curriculum,put some clinicals into it. not after a student have finished reading hefty books you will tell the person to go and buy a direct entry form to study medicine...even in postgraduate so many Bms graduates with Msc are still unable to secure an employment where people with Mbbs are prefered so what is the essence of it.

Did you read my post & go through the link I posted? BMS exists for a reason and that is to do medical research. To professionalise in healthcare service delivery, it is essential for the relevant registration councils in the healthcare sector include BMS graduates in their licensing programmes. I don't subscribe to the scraping of a whole faculty, because of unfavourable socio-economic conditions. My take, BMS should be tweaked to make it more useful in the healthcare sector
Re: Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. by marvelling(m): 8:56pm On Sep 18, 2013
Ugwuoba 2012: To me there is no need for this courses in nigeria since the health sector dont recognise them they only recognise medicine,pharmacy and health sciences and the worst part of it is that a good number of universities have started offering this courses,are you offering a course without any good plans for the graduate. They just have to scrap it off or change the curriculum,put some clinicals into it. not after a student have finished reading hefty books you will tell the person to go and buy a direct entry form to study medicine...even in postgraduate so many Bms graduates with Msc are still unable to secure an employment where people with Mbbs are prefered so what is the essence of it.

Did you read my post & go through the link I posted? BMS exists for a reason and that is to do medical research. To professionalise in healthcare service delivery, it is essential for the relevant registration councils in the healthcare sector include to BMS graduates in their licensing programmes. I don't subscribe to the scraping of a whole faculty, because of unfavourable socio-economic conditions. My take, all courses that make up BMS should be tweaked to make their graduates more useful in the healthcare sector. Nigeria is peculiar, some changes should be made.
Re: Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. by charliejose: 9:34pm On Sep 18, 2013
What is the fate of those dat just got admitted into diz courses?...,like me,I ve been admitted in2 pharmacology...are we 2 turn down the offer?...guess I ll fly 2 d states for direct entry into medicine....
Re: Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. by AmbFitsaint(m): 9:43pm On Sep 18, 2013
charliejose: What is the fate of those dat just got admitted into diz courses?...,like me,I ve been admitted in2 pharmacology...are we 2 turn down the offer?...guess I ll fly 2 d states for direct entry into medicine....

Just bliv in whateva u do or study.
The vision in your chosen field is greater than the environment u re.

Mods... This is a front page material pls
Re: Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. by Ugwuoba2012(m): 10:02pm On Sep 18, 2013
Hahahahaha...talking about research how many research institution is in nigeria currently. I still maintain my stand that they should scrap this courses in the undergraduate level ''bsc'' or they borrow a leaf from architecture by running the bsc together with the msc making it 6years at least giving the graduates a sense of belonging.
Re: Unemployment In The Field Of Basic Medical Sciences In Nigeria. by Ugwuoba2012(m): 7:40am On Sep 21, 2013
I advice basic medical scientist to go and train as technicians and assistants in hospitals,it will help.

(1) (Reply)

Adebantu Shaves Off Dreadlocks After 23years / Federal Poly Nekede ND & HND Admission List 2015/2016 Released / Nursing Degree Program – Earn Your Nurse Degree Online-www.educational101.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.