Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,579 members, 7,955,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:36 PM

Why Do Nigerians Don't Like Reading Much? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Nigerians Don't Like Reading Much? (622 Views)

After Reading This, You’ll Never Want To Throw These Silica Gel Away Again! / Why Do Some Guys Don't Like Bathing With Their Fellow Guys And... / Reasons Why Nigerians Don't Commit Suicide ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians Don't Like Reading Much? by eyenCalabar(m): 10:10am On Sep 19, 2013
I've notice for sometime now especially here on NL that we find it difficult to read. If a post is a little long, we'll start murmuring and criticizing it. Why?

The guys really make matters worst in this. Girls are a bit good. Most times, I see them buying voluminous novel texts. Though mostly about love and romance but atleast they sit and make sure they read it page by page till they cover the whole text and go for another one. But on the other hand, the guys don't attempt.

Personally, I read a lot. If you want to have a good understanding about any subject, you've got to read and read; read deeper and deeper! If you want to improve your vocabulary, you've got to read real good and widely too. So, when I see someone post an article and people start complaining about it being too long, I'll just wonder why! Others may even look for one to summarize it for them. My question here is this: Is it that we are too lazy to read or reading is difficult or we are simply lazy?

C'mon guys, what kind of generation do we even hope to produce from our present generation? The other day, I asked a colleague at office the meaning of CNN, BBC and VOA acronyms and surprisingly he didn't know. Rather, he replied me why he should even bother to find out what they stand for. And these happens to be things I read about years ago. It so bad that we don't crave for knowledge in Nigeria. It's quite saddening. Some people just know about what they studied in school and their job and that's all. They don't care about learning some new things on their own because they claim that they don't have the time to read. The point is that they more you read, the more you becomes more aware of the world around you. The more you become a better human and the more your life becomes more valuable. Now you know and others can learn from you. While negligence limits your scope of knowledge and makes you less a human.

I read extensively -online articles especially from this forum, magazines, daily devotionals, novels (I love the Gods are not to blame) etcetera. So, I'll encourage you guys to read real good too. Don't always be in a haste while reading. Read through the lines and get all the points embedded in it. Let's improve on our reading culture please. Broaden your horizon of knowledge. Refuse to stay in the dark!

(1) (Reply)

Is this Coming True... / What Was Your Childhood Dream? (job Or Career) / Man Chops off Own Man-hood Because He Was Fed Up Of Not Having A Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.