Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,919 members, 7,817,691 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Ladies' Hair In Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ladies' Hair In Church (4084 Views)

Dont Be Deceived In Church Today Brethren. / Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? / The 10 Most AWKWARD Moments In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 11:05pm On Jun 04, 2006
1Co 11:5, 10 ~~ "But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered
dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. . . For this cause
ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels."

I've often wondered about the verses above: does it matter at all that Christian women wear
headdresses/coverings (like scarf or something of the sort) in church? Most people say the hair
is the covering; others contend that it is not the hair that is the covering and therefore they
should wear headdress or scarves. Oyibo churches and liberalism aside, what do serious Christian
ladies think about this?
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by hotangel2(f): 2:27am On Jun 05, 2006
Not this topic!!

Well i personally think the hair is covering the HEAD. The bible said 'the head'. Okay wait, the bible didn't say the scalp.

Okay u know what? Cover your head if you want to, don't cover it if you don't want to. I know i'll say more about this when people start replying, but right now, i don't think it's a sin if u don't cover your head to church, or durring prayer.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 11:41am On Jun 05, 2006
grin grin I really appreciate your answers. It's just that I wonder
if the HAIR is the covering for the HEAD (or scalp) according to I Cor. 11.

If that's the case, then maybe the men have been disobeying for ages,
because it clearly says that the men should not cover their head:

1Co 11:7 ~~ "For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch
as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man."

Em, . . . should we then ask our men to obey by removing their 'covering' -
because if the HAIR is the covering, then they should not cover.
Translation: "gori-makpa"??
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by rasque(m): 10:50pm On Jun 05, 2006
grin grin Interesting topic, Looking forward to replies
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by GL(f): 1:52am On Jun 06, 2006
Considering that a woman's head is her husband, it seems the passage is referring to married women.

The passage talks about praying, not going to church. We pray at home, on the road, in the bathroom, at all times. If you say we should wear headcovers, then we must put it on at all times. Plus, I believe that the covering isn't using hats and other kinds of headgears that leave parts of the hair showing. It would have to be like the muslim women use. No strand of hair should show, and it should be at all times not just to church.

When I was in the boarding house, we girls were on low-cut, and the principal allowed us go to church like that since we were "shaven". I don't cover my hair because I dont like it, and I dont think the church is sincere about it. They bring white women to preach with their heads uncovered, but they expect me to cover mine because i'm black. I don't like that.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by ldollier(f): 1:52am On Jun 06, 2006
well just like every other strong pentecoastal, i cover my hair when am in church. not just when am in church but whenever i am about to pray. its also stated in the bible( dont rmbr the passage)

but in the bible "it says that if you cant cover your hair while you pray why not shave it off and be bald and then show it off in the church" in the bible it said something similar to that.

well i grew up with this strong pentecoastal belief that whenever you pray and don't cover your hair that God wont answer the prayer.

i just dont know why people always question things about christianity. what about the muslims that cover their hair 24/7. what do we have to say to that. this goes to prove that christianity is slowly becoming the weak religion.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by GL(f): 1:59am On Jun 06, 2006
Idollier, most ppl dont fully cover the hair and I believe that's what the bible must have been referring to. most of the time, ppl cover just the top of their heads.

also, except u cover ur head all day long, there's no how u can cover ur head everytime u pray. there are times, maybe on ur way to work, that u're faced with a difficult situation or u just feel like talking to God. do u start looking for a scarf first?
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by ldollier(f): 2:08am On Jun 06, 2006
well, i understand that most people don't fully cover their hair. as long as something is ontop of your hair while you pray then that is fine. scarves are not the only means of getting your hair covered, thas why hats were made. in my church some whites that find it difficult to cover their hair with a scarf, they were hats.

now i also understand that in some situation it is hard to cover your hair for ex whenever someone is eating, they are suppose to pray. what happens to them that eat five times a day? well, thats why there are alternative, just like i previously mentioned, you can wear handkerchiefs, sweaters as long as something is covering your hair. it dosen't have to be just scarves.

in most cases it does mean looking for a scarve. oh i can rmbr one day, when my pastor visited us( a regular visit). he chatted with my family and at the end decided to close with a prayer. my mom, my sisters and i were quickly looking for something to cover our heads with. But a good christian is suppose to be carrying that wherever they go, in order to avoid "looking for scarves"
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 9:26pm On Jun 07, 2006
Hmmm. I really appreciate the latest replies. To cover, or not to cover?
And then how to cover - some parts, everything, and at all times, or
sometimes.

The way I see it: (a) the women are to cover ~ I Cor. 11:6
                          (b) the men are not to cover ~ I Cor. 11:7

Now if HAIR is the material for covering the HEAD, then the men who
have been standing in our pulpits with hair (especially jerrycurls) are
the ones disobeying that scripture  angry . I suggest they visit the
barbers kia-kia!

Okay, someone drew me by the collar and pointed out verse 14 ~
"Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair,
it is a shame unto him?"

Em. . . fine then. American liberal pastors, take heed!  cool
(especially those who promote the "new wave" rock n' roll kini).

I digressed. Seriously, there is a reason why the apostle would have
devoted a page to that concern. If it were not such a big deal, I don't
think it would have merited the several verses it did.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by donnie(m): 1:00pm On Jun 09, 2006
Why dont you preach the Word and stop preaching what you think or what tradition thinks.

ldollier:

well just like every other strong pentecoastal, i cover my hair when am in church. not just when am in church but whenever i am about to pray. its also stated in the bible( don't rmbr the passage)

but in the bible "it says that if you can't cover your hair while you pray why not shave it off and be bald and then show it off in the church" in the bible it said something similar to that.

well i grew up with this strong pentecoastal belief that whenever you pray and don't cover your hair that God wont answer the prayer.

i just don't know why people always question things about christianity. what about the muslims that cover their hair 24/7. what do we have to say to that. this goes to prove that christianity is slowly becoming the weak religion.

Strong penticostal? grin because you puta clot on your head?

Anyway i am not a penticaostal so i wouldnt go there yet. But i think we should read those portions of scripture in context.

We should understand what group of people he was addressing at the time.

Apostle Paul said if she dosnt cover her head(not her hair) she dishounours her husband( not the men around her).

He also said, the hair is given to her for a covering for her head. Didnt you see that?

Understand that the Eastern woman who is married covers her entire head in public (and not just the top of it) to show tht she belongs to someone. She is not to expose her head ( her face inclusive). If you have seen those Eastern women with long hair, long and black, enough to cover thier entire heads and faces. This is what Paul was refering to and not some piece of cloth on top of your head.

Now if her hair aint long enough, she should use a veil. And this is not gelle. Have you seen a muslim woman in public before? ahaaa. That is what he was refering to.

So please let that little girl feel free and comfortable in God's presence. Do not put any load on her head.

In todays society, we have rings to show that a woman belongs to someone or is under a man's authority.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 2:15pm On Jun 09, 2006
Uhm. . . donnie, I have a few things in regards to your input. You seem to have
done the same thing you cautioned idollier not to do - preach tradition. I wouldn't
think that Paul was referring to Eastern women or Muslims in stating what he did
in 1 Cor. 11. People are not all agreed as to what the interpretations are in the
verses, and then the apotle discouraged contentions that may brew from such
(verse 16).

I believe that the apostle had the whole church in mind when penning those
verses, because he had said that he applied the same teaching in every place
and every church where he ministered (1 Cor. 4:17). The matter of head covering
should be no different and applicable to us as well.

Therefore, I'm seeking the understanding of believers about this issue and have
outlined it thus:

(a) if the HAIR is the material for covering and not 'a piece of cloth',
          - - then men should have no hair on their head:
              "For a man indeed ought not to cover his head" (vs. 7).

(b) if a HEADDRESS is in view and not the hair as the covering material
          - - then men should not have a headdress; while the women should:
              "For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head
               because of the angels" (verse 10).

It then follows through with food for thought in verse 13: "Judge in yourselves:
is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered
?"

The big question then is: what is the covering? Some say it is the hair in
allusion to verse 15 - "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her
hair is given her for a covering
." If we take only this verse as proof text for the
woman not to have a HEADDRESS on her head, then we are ignoring the other
verses. The apostle says unequivocally:

"For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for
a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered
" (verse 6).

Now picture this: my fiancée has short hair and loves God. She wouldn't like to
be shorn or shaven, so what she should do? The text says, "let her be covered."
Does that mean she should immediately grow long hair, or it means she should
be covered with a HEADDRESS, reason being for the sake of the angels (v. 10)?
Remember also that, the man is to have no covering (v. 7).

What I think is that when you consider the religious culture of the Corinthians
you're most likely to find men wearing HEADDRESS (Jewish caps for the men),
and women less likely to do so. It's not too difficult today - look at the Jews in
Israel today - you see the men with their hats and caps. That is one reason
why I believe that the apostle Paul was laying the foundation that men ought
not to cover their heads, as many Jewish men among them did. Yes, there were
Jewish converts among the Corinthians, and Paul noted that quite well (see
Acts 18:1-5 & 8 ). Today, we have expressions of Christianity where male
ministers wear HEADDRESS - like the Catholics, as a prime example. That is
what I am persuaded to believe that the apostle was referring - men ought
not to wear hats and caps while praying to God. So, hair is not what Paul was
focusing on as the covering for either men or women.

I'm quizzed anytime I visit some churches who have no qualms with women
having no head covering in church, and then in prayer the minister would be
very concerned that "the men should please take off their hats and caps".
That's sheer inbalance - because them women should wear them when the
men take them off - that's what the Bible says. I've a few friends who are
rascally: they quite often go to church with hoods and face caps. One of them
has a reason for wearing his hats - he's fast becoming bald and has his eyes
on the babes. But you know that's not a good enough reason to do so.

In any case, in the spirit of 1 Cor. 11: 16, I've no right to force my views on any
believer, and hope that by sharing the above, some might be helped. I believe
idollier has very good reasons in her inputs for what she does; and GL as well.
But it wouldn't seem to me that Paul had the Eastern culture of women in any
connection to Muslim women who did not even exist in his day.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by ldollier(f): 3:16am On Jun 10, 2006
donnie:

So please let that little girl feel free and comfortable in God's presence. Do not put any load on her head.

In todays society, we have rings to show that a woman belongs to someone or is under a man's authority.

xcuse me, but do you really need a ring on a womans finger to show that she is under a man? is that really necessary. as long as the couple know that they are married, why the ring?

and umm, i hope you did not attempt to mock my beliefs. well like i said it is what i do. and by the way what portion of the bible are you reading. confused ppl these days.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by biggjoe(m): 12:25pm On Jun 10, 2006
whether the passage is adressing women from east or not, it did not say so. But remember that women from africa do cover their heads too. so no one should tell me that it is justifiable that christians here in africa will not cover their heads in prayer like their european or american counterparts.

after reading some views here it amazed me how people interpret the Bible to suit their needs but at the same time attack other people of different denomination when they dont agree with thier own version of interpretations on ther issues still from the Bible.
If the catholics were the ones not covering their heads, i know that it must be a some real issue with pentecostals. and this forum must have been filled with such antagonisms.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Reverend(m): 7:35am On Jun 11, 2006
Considering that the Bible is a book of fables, folklore and fairy stories I do not beleive this to be an issue.

What are you going to say next, that women can not go to church when they are menstruating?

Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by jgirl3: 9:36am On Jun 11, 2006
Hair covered or not - the prayers will still be answered. He doesn't look at our outsides so it can't be that important to God
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 1:11pm On Jun 11, 2006
Actually it is important to God - otherwise the apostle would not have spent
several verses on the issue. God hears prayers of those whose hearts are
inclined towards Him; and when He speaks to us in His Word, He considers
both the outside and the inside as equally important.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Shagari2(m): 4:59pm On Jun 17, 2006
Covering hair or not is is all about religion, there's a difference between having a relationship with your God and religion, for me it doesn't matter whether you cover your hair or you don't even have a head! its whats on the inside that counts, I mean how many people observe the Sabbath, isn't that in the bible? Know your God and hold on tight! wink
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Reverend(m): 5:17pm On Jun 17, 2006
Shagari2:

Covering hair or not is is all about religion, there's a difference between having a relationship with your God and religion, for me it doesn't matter whether you cover your hair or you don't even have a head! its whats on the inside that counts, I mean how many people observe the Sabbath, isn't that in the bible? Know your God and hold on tight! wink

You are absolutely right. There are an incredible amount of backward people who follow silly rules and take offense at the pettiest of issues instead of worshiping God. Open your heart to God and forget the book of fairy tales we call the Bible. That was written by man and has been manipulated and re-written thosands of times over the years.

What irritates me most are the people that spend there whole time looking for pasages which they can use against people. These are the real evil. Live and let live!

wear your hair how you like and yes it is perfectly normal for women to wear trousers, drive a car and have sex before marriage.

If you are a sin monger, take a break and get a life!
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 6:56pm On Jun 17, 2006
@Shagari,

How do you ”hold on tight" to God if you have no interest in what
He says? It may not suit you at all to know Him through His word,
but your comments have not helped address the topic. Yes, it’s very
important to God, otherwise it would not appear in His word.

@Rev.,

It’s okay for you to pick offence in issues that shouldn’t be such
a bother to you, because more often than not your reactions put
you on spot. Don’t you think your advice is best suited to you –
“live and let live”? Why should this topic be offensive/annoying
to you if you don’t believe in the Bible anyway?
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Shagari2(m): 11:49pm On Jun 17, 2006
@Gwaine, do you keep the sabbath? is 'the word' really the 'book'? have we not been saved from religion, is that nt the whole essence and basis of Christs teaching, d'you really think if a woman does not cover her head in church she will go to hell??
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 1:01am On Jun 18, 2006
Shagari, what has sabbath got to do with the present topic? And
how do you get "the Word" if not from the "Book"? The whole
essence and basis of Christ's teaching is that you obey what He
has commanded - and that includes what the apostles taught. At
least, I know that if a woman does not cover her head in church,
she is dishonouring her head - which is precisely what the apostle
taught in I Cor. 11:5.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Shagari2(m): 9:37am On Jun 18, 2006
Are you a politician?, you skilfully avoided answering my Q's

We are to keep all His commandments right, well, do you keep the sabbath??

Will woman that don't cover their head go to hell??

Anwers my Q's Gwaine!
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 12:08pm On Jun 18, 2006
Shagari2, you are the politician by skillfully dodging my question:

"What has sabbath got to do with the present topic?"

As soon as you let me know about that, I guarantee you I'll
answer your question.

The present topic is referenced on I Corinthians 11:1-16, and if
you find the subject of sabbath there, let me know. If you want
to discuss the sabbath, you can do either of two things:

(a) post your concerns on any one of the existing threads
on Sabbath concerns, and I'd be glad to meet you there
(for easy reference, click on the following links):

The Sabbath - What day is this?

What Is The Right Day To Go To Church: Saturday or Sunday?

(b) or, you can open a new thread if you so wish, and I'd be
equally glad to meet you there with any other question you
may have.

I'm not a politician nor am I dodging your question, but I simply don't
have the interest of losing focus on the present topic and therefore
don't want it to degenerate into something else. This is about Ladies'
Hair In Church, and it stays that way, thank you.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Shagari2(m): 12:29pm On Jun 18, 2006
Shows how one way tracked your mind is, stay there and be judging ladies that don't have their hair covered religous man. they'll be raisng the dead right beside you and you'll be concerned about their hair!! angry

Covering hair and things like that are all acts to make ourselves rightous but our rightousness is not in what we do our rightousness is in Christ whether your hair is covered or not, but you may not understand, thats the difference between religion and revelation, Pharisee!! angry

I will no longer contibute to your thread. Good bye. angry
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 12:38pm On Jun 18, 2006
As it turns out, when you've lost steam and can't face your own
issues, reason gives way to rascality. I didn't expect anything
better from you, and I've always made it my aim to iggy any and
all invectives - from politician to pharisee - and instead, keep to
a present topic. Welcome back anytime if you care.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by elampiro(m): 7:43pm On Jun 19, 2006
People of our generation like to interprete the bible to suit themselves or their desire. The bible is very straight forward on this issue. Women are required to cover their heads (with cloth, head gear etc, and not with hair).

God has spoken, we are too little to dispute his commands. He awaits us on that day when we will face him alone without our friends or the whole world enable to defend us before him. God has given His command, and everyone has a free will to decide to follow or not. It is nice to look good but not at the expense of our own salvation. How many hours do we spend in the church that we cannot obey simple instruction?

Note also that the bible said women should not talk in the church. Nowadays they are Pastors. God chosed 12 apostles without any woman, it was not a coincidence.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 7:22am On Jun 20, 2006
@elampiro, I 'preciate your food for thought and understand that women
are not to teach or be leading speakers in church (which is different from
the general understanding of 'talking' or saying something in church). At
least, they're not denied praying, singing and even teaching other women
and taking other leadership roles like what we call Sunday School classes,
I suppose. But I'm also of the view that God's concern for covering and/or
exposing the head is directed to both men and women.

It's significant that all twelve apostles chosen were men, but it is quite a
remarkable thing to note that there were many women of faith who were
mightily used of God in the Church. We can praise Him for the examples
we read of in His Word and hope that many of us would find grace to
apply ourselves to everything He says.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by TV01(m): 9:58am On Jun 20, 2006
Elampiro, well said.
Gwaine, I read your reply to Elampiro's post (forgive me if I'm wrong) as you essentially agreeing?

Just like in the world many in "church" are very keen to remove gender distinctions.
The Bible while not ajudging men to be superior to women, clearly outlines different roles, areas of influence and expectations of men and women. Attested to by the complimentary differences in our make-up.

The whole "Reverend/Pastor Mrs" phenomenon (and I fall about laughing whenever I hear the "Prophetess to the nations" tag) is a shame. Subverting God's ordained order to the will worship of weak men and manipulative women.

The Lord knows those who are His.

God bless
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 10:18am On Jun 20, 2006
TV01, yes I indeed agree with elampiro.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by afrikangal(f): 10:30am On Jun 20, 2006
covering hair in church is not neccessary.cos God knows his own people and knows who r really worshipping him.make i tell u.someone people covers their head when they go 2 church,but their mind his really filled wit evil.it doesn,t matter whether u cover ur head or not.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by Gwaine(m): 10:56am On Jun 20, 2006
Okay, I hear you. Question: so what happens when someone who does not
cover head goes to church with their mind filled with evil - does that matter?

I'm amused with the view that some things "don't matter" when they are as
clearly stated in God's Word in black and white. If they never mattered, can
someone please explain why the inspired apostle dealt with the issue in his
epistle to the Corinthians? So, he probably must have been joking to ask in
verse 13 of that chapter -

"Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?"

Or, what was he all about when earlier he said -

"For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame
for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered."
[verse 6].

If one doesn't matter (covering or not covering the head), then other should
not matter (a mind filled with evil). If the latter matters, then the former does
as well. QED.
Re: Ladies' Hair In Church by donnie(m): 1:03pm On Jun 20, 2006
Bigjoe,

It is in Africa that the catholics insist on hair cpovering and that is not in every parish.

In Europe and America, there are no such laws binding worshipers in the catholic church.

Somebody said the apostle was refering to only cloth and not hair.

If the woman has long hair, it is given to her for a covering. What about long hair? Ask yourself.

I believe it is bc it is long enough to cover her entire head, not just the top of it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Be An Atheist For Twelve Days / The Name Which Is Above All Other Names / Here Is The Original Version Of NARA EKELE By Tim Godfrey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.