Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,272 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope (2445 Views)

Purpose & Importance Of Wudu / Wudumate Prayer Room Fixtures. Designed 4 Comfortable & Dignified Wudu(ablution / Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope by AlBaqir(m): 9:42pm On Sep 21, 2013
There's no doubt one who does not perform ablution has no salat. If there's another area where muslims differ and especially where certain uninformed muslims condemn Shi'a, its the area of wudu among many others.

Unfortunately many do not take into cognizance the practice of wudu as stipulated in the holy Qur'an. Allah states:

"O you who believe! When you rise to offer Salat ( prayer), wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to ankles."

Shi’a and Sunni scholars agreed that four steps are obligatory in Wudhu, rest of the steps like washing hands; mouth and nose are desirable. The obligatory part has been explained in the above stated verse.

However, the above english translation is not the exact original arabic words revealed in the holy Qur'an. Any words in bracket is an interpolated words to explain an idea or one's understanding vis-a-vis belief. By removing the brackets, some translators have the following:

"O you who believe! When you rise to offer Salat, WASH your faces and your hands up to the elbows, RUB your heads and your feet up to ankles."

The differences in this ayat between sunni and shi'a are stated below:

Do we wipe ALL our heads or part of it?
Do we WASH our feet or WIPE our feet?

The best word for word arabic-english I can offer is as follows:

"O Ye who believe, when you rise for prayer
WASH your faces and hands till elbow; and WIPE PART of your heads and feet till ankle"

(*Yaa Ayualedhina amanu (O Ye who believe!
*Idha kum'tu ilah salat (when you rise for prayer)
*...faghsilu (WASH your) wujuakum (faces) WA (and) aydiyakum (hands) illal marafik (till elbows).
*waM'SAHU (and WIPE) BI (part of) ruhusikum (your head) wa (and) AR'JULAKUM (your feet) ilal kabayn (till ankle)).

NB: To those who wipe whole heads, what's the essence of " BI"(part of) after "Mas'h' (wipe), in Allah's words?

A sunni Alim, Allamah Waheed-uz-Zaman Khan states:

“And wipe your head that much which can be termed as anointment. In Imam Malik’s view the whole head should be wiped and the same has been adopted by Ahl-e-Hadith.” (Tafseer-e-Waheedi, page 144)

Are we to follow Allah or Imam maliki? Little wonder there are thousands of differences between maliki's madhab and the rests.

OTHER POINT OF DIFFERENCES!

*Some Ulama (scholars) of Sunni world argued the 'verse of wudhu' in the part of 'wash or wipe' your feet were recited in two different form. Those who recite the ayah in the part of feet as ...AR'JULAKUM, washes while those who recite as ...AR'JULIKUM, wipes because of upper stressor and lower stressor respectively. They however argued depending on the way you read you either wash or wipe. Here's Imam Fakruddin ar-Razi, author of Tafsir al-kabir, view:

Ibn Tamiyah writes in Minhaaj al Sunnah:

“With regards to the verse of Wudhu, a
number of recitals are well known, either
reading the lam with and under or upper
stressor, this does not attest the washing of
the feet in the Qur’an as obligatory, rather it
deems wiping the feet as obligatory”.

NB: some might inquisitively ask: why reciting a verse in two different ways ("ar'juLAkum or "ar'juLIkum). Aren't we have ONE qur'an?

"The proof of those who say it is obligatory to wipe is based on two famous readings
in the [Qur'anic] statement `and your feet' (verse 5:6). Ibn Kathir, Hamza, Abu `Amr and `Asim - based on the reports of Abu Bakr narrated from him - have recited it in the GENITIVE case; Nafi', Ibn `Amir and
`Asim have recited it, according to the tradition reported by Hafs from him, in the ACCUSATIVE case."

He (al-Razi) said: "So we say, as for the recitation in the genitive, it would necessitate the feet [in the verse] to being a conjunction with the head.
Therefore, just as it is obligatory to wipe on the head, similarly [it is so] on the feet.

Razi however concluded that "...to wash is better since wiping is included in washing"

How is wiping included in washing for both are different?

*Some Sunni ulama has try to relate the word “Faghsilu (wash)” with “Arjulakum( your feet)” by claiming that there is an under- stressor in the later word, hence they come out with the translation that the feet should be washed, ignoring the fact that the word “Faghsalu” is at the beginning of the verse and that is only concerned
with the washing of the face and the hands.

How is it possible, in Arabic language for that matter, for "Arjulakum (your feet) to jump its own verb "mas'h (WIPE) and conjuction (WAW -and) and far away migrated jumping the object (hands, waw -conjuction, 'and', ;and face) before linking itself with "Faghsilu" (wash)?

The basic truth is most of these noble Sunni scholars knew outrightly according to Qur'an, we are to WIPE our feet and not wash; hence,their dodge style of admitting wipe and wash or wipe but still prefer washing.

* They however based their belief on certain traditions which state that certain Sahaba (companions) of the holy prophet (saws) wash their feet and claimed that's the practice of the holy prophet.

On the other hands, there are equally many hadiths from another groups of sahaba which states that wiping was what the holy prophet sanctioned. Abdullah Ibn Abbas and Ali Ibn Abi Talib were among those who sanctioned wiping. If you see the "gate to the city of prophet's knowledge" (i.e Imam Ali) and "scholar of the community" (Ibn Abbas), why do you settle for less?

I found no superior argument in this regard than that of Abdullah Ibn Abbas(RA) and Shaybi (RA). They argued:

“Shaybi said: The order to wipe the feet
descended through Jibrael. Don’t you see that those body parts that were ordered to be washed have to be wiped while performing dry ablution [Taiymum] but those which are to be wiped, are exempted in dry ablution”. (Allama Jalaluddin Suyuti in Tafseer Durr al Manthur Volume 2 page 262)

Ibn Abbas:

"Allah has
imposed two washings and two wipings, don't you see that when He mentioned the tayammum, He imposed two wipings instead of the two washings and he left the two wipings of the wudu [as they were]?"
He used to say that the wudu consists of two
washings and two wipings and when he learnt that al-Rabi`, the daughter of Ma'udh b. `Afra al- Ansariyya, claims that the Prophet used to do the wudu at her place and he would wash his feet, he came to her and asked her about it. When she related
it to him he said - not verifying but repudiating and arguing - "the people refused [everything] but the washing whereas I do not find in the book of God
anything but the wiping."

NB: It is very alarming that many people prefer to wipe 'socks' instead of feet claiming it is sunnah!

I say MUHAMMAD (saws) will NEVER contradict Qur'an for Allah clearly stated "...wipe...your feet..." and never socks. This is the assertion of the Imams of household of the prophet.

SUITABILITY OF FEET IS WASHING - some argued!

Sometimes the masses argue for the washing of the feet, they see it as most suitable for the feet rather than wiping [the feet], just as wiping is more suitable
for the head rather than the washing because mostly, the filth on the feet cannot be cleaned except by washing them as opposed to the head, it can be cleaned mainly by wiping.

I say quoting a scholar: " As for the cleanliness of the foot from filth, it is necessary to guard against it before wiping on it acting in accordance to special proofs, which show that it is a prerequisite that the parts where wudu is done must be pure before starting it. Perhaps the washing of his feet by the Prophet of God
(P), as reported in the traditions, was due to this reason. Maybe he did it to cool his feet or because he was intense in observing cleanliness after completing the wudu and God knows best."

And Allah knows best why He ordered wiping. Ours is to comply.

"QUR'AN and AHL al-BAYT - two legacy of Rasul"

Majority proclaim that the holy prophet (saws) left two weighty things in Qur'an and his sunnah!
» Despite the fact that this hadith is never found in "the six authentic collections of hadith -sahih sittah",

» Despite the fact that only "al-Muwatta" of Imam Malik quoted this hadith (others who recorded it took from muwatta) who graded it weak,

»Despite the fact that "KITABULLAH WA ITRATI AHL AL-BAYTI" (book of GOD and my progeny, ahl al-bayt) is what is being found in "sahih sittah,

Shi'a believe it is a MUST for every mu'min to follow the sunnah of the holy prophet (since qur'an says ...wa ati'u Rasul -and obey or follow the prophet). However, NOBODY knows Muhammad better other than his (saws) household; therefore, unambiguous SUNNAH can only be gotten from the ahl al-bayt Rasul.

No doubt not all sahabas are scholars! It is natural that not all of them understood Rasul equally yet people rely on everyone of them in relating traditions instead of the ahl al-bayt. See what Allah says:

"Obey Allah, and Obey the prophet and 'THOSE' who are vest in authority AMONGST you..."

Why THOSE...AMONGST you?

We (shi'a) gave precedence to Ahl al-bayt (a.s) than any other in the matter pertaining to interpretations of the Qur'an and relating the Sunnah of Muhammad. Little wonder why we wipe our feet. It is the direct compliance with ahl al-bayt.

NB: I wish we discuss on 'the two ankles'; and some traditions on washing but its not within the scope of this article. The little provided is enough for the seeker of truth.

Salam
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope by dareabiola98(m): 1:32am On Sep 22, 2013
Let us really start to learn how to address our fellow Muslims.Inshaalah,Ur post was useful and May Allah(swt) increase u in Iiman(amin).When u call some people they,or some people "we"..And u talk on and on and continue to segregate,it will do Islam no Good.What is our problem really,Did Allah mention Sunni,or Shia or whatever in the Qur'an...Soon we'll start forbiding a shia muslimah to marry a sunni muslim and we'd hate each other so much that we'd even because of hatred find other than Allah to call in Worship.We'd be no different from the people of the scripture.What are these names,Is there a register somewhere that u'll submit ur names to God....WE ARE ALL MUSLIMS..And a muslim should follow the qur'An and Sunnah..What's with the "they and we"...I fear that the end time is near.these are the sighns of the end time.Let us all enjoin what is Good and forbid what/whatever will lead to evil.May Allah(swt) guide us in the Right path(Amin)

Let's love one another
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope by dareabiola98(m): 1:41am On Sep 22, 2013
If u had posted the best way of performing ablution with refrence to sahih adith....You woukd have done a lot of people Good...But w/o even reading the whole of your speech,I knew u were criticizing other muslims and I stopped.Shia is not ur Identity,And Allah Command that "U shouldn't die lest u be a muslim" not a sunni/shia. U might be in a group,its good!!!...to gain knowledge and walk with the pious.But when u share informations to the whole of muslim and ur against some...wallahi..if u came here,posted the ablution,with evidence,even other people of other sect would look at it and say oh! This is manifest evidence but now..u've made people believe ur doind this as a shia and not a muslim.
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 22, 2013
we should ask the op how did hassan and hussain [ra] perform ablution? if we know we will adopt it. how did ali bin abi talib and fatimah zarah [ra] perform ablution? if we know we shall adopt it. how did Muhammad ibn abdUllah perform [SA] performed ablution? that we must follow. did he perform it like the shia? did he perform it like the sunni? how did he perform it? that we must know so that we can be rightly guided.

what if you are a wetland worker and you are poor and you heard the call to prayer with mud caking over your feet? do you wash feet first before beginning to perform wudhu or you conserve time and water by performing ablution ending by washing the feet? how do you make ghuzul and wudhu before it? do you wash feet or wipe feet in the wudhu, yet when you are doing the ghuzul you wash your feet as you wash you whole body? is there any reason to wash your feet as part of wudhu pr you wipe in every case, regardless of how dirty the feet are?
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope by AlBaqir(m): 4:03pm On Sep 22, 2013
Thanks to you ALL for your contribution.

However, somebody said I'd be doing people lot of good if I qoute 'sahih hadith' on wudu.

I will reply by saying Qur'an is the ONLY sahih (authentic) and its enough for a sincere muslim as far as the Obligatory part of wudu is concern. If any hadith ascribe to Rasul (saws) contradict the wordings of Allah (Qur'an) then it is not Muhammad (saws) saying. Allah and His prophet will never contradict.

For those who used to believe hadith is the Tafsir of Qur'an, you have mistaken. Hadith can never interpret Qur'an but can only give additional information. Only Qur'an can interpret itself or the custodian of the Qur'an (ahl al-bayt).

Imagine Allah says clearly "wipe part of your head and feet" in His book. Yet some muslim say there's one sahih that says we should wash? The choice is yours!

As for muslim unity!

Allah is one, Qur'an is one, Muhammad is one...yet muslims differ. Why?

At the death-bed of our holy prophet (saws), he said provide me writting pad and pen so that I write for you information to be followed in which if you adhere to it, you will never go astray. Thereupon, Umar said Muhammad is talking nonesense and book of Allah is enough for us. Companion on that spot dissagree btw themselves until Rasul flush them all out (sahih bukhari, muslim etc).

NB: if u need qoutations, I will furnish u aplenty.

You wonder? Hold your breath and ...ask those who know if you know not"

Everything you do in Islam today even your belief in Tawhid is in accordance with a particular school of thought. Take it or leave it.
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 22, 2013
@Al-Baqir; are you saying that Muhammad [SA] is not the 'custodian' of the Quran, over everyone else who must learn from him?

if Muhammad [SA] didn't write, don't you know that it is the Wisdom of Allah therefore that it did not happen or you believe that the writing therefore without it Islam is incomplete? i will now wonder how you decide to accept what you accepted as 'islam' without that writing that was not made available to us all?

what does 'flush them all out" mean?

Allah perfected Islam before the holy prophet [SA] left this world. And what Muhammad [SA] gives you, Allah says "take it". it is now your turn to tell us what Muhammad gave us while the shia stone people and i dont see a verse of 'stoning" in the Quran.
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope by BetaThings: 4:18am On Sep 23, 2013
dareabiola98: .Soon we'll start forbiding a shia muslimah to marry a sunni muslim and we'd hate each other so much that we'd even because of hatred find other than Allah to call in Worship.
I like your intention. But it is a waste of time because Shias already say that we cannot marry their women because they are pure and we are filthy. There are videos on youtube of Shia scholars saying this. Unfortunately the videos are long . But look at this short one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lm0_VW7aQw
And you know that the Shias tell us that unlike sunnis, they hold uniform position. So whatever one says is the general belief. Infact they mock us that as soon as a Sunni can read the Qur’an, he starts making pronouncements on issues. My point – what they say in those videos are the true beliefs of Shias

As for calling on other than Allah, do you really want to marry someone who believes that the Shia Imam control the world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM1LzPHnTIQ

and says that she can pray to Imam Rida? “Because before she was created, Imam Rida knew that on such and such day, time, and second, she would visit Imam Rida’s grave to ask?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzkSDBw7IVI

Or that we should ask a dead imam because that will get our prayers answered faster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O70o7S-ii60

Or who says that if you say Ya Allah alone, you are mushrik; you must add Ya Ali to it
That is their own tawheed. Of course a Sunni would not see any difference between that and Christian trinity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3-wTnlwpkY

Or who says visiting the grave of Hussain (RA) is like visiting Allah’s throne (SWT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxr-a0ee8Ro

Or someone who wakes up daily to obligatorily curse Abubakr, Umar, Aisha (RAA)?
http://www.duas.org/alaviya/dua-120.htm

or Someone who would say that Ali(RA) and his mother knew the Quran before the Prophet (SAW) did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGeo1UUtpj0

Or someone who would pass your daughter around like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBqpkbVFfmw

Or someone who believes that the Qur’an has been altered. Note that when it is in their interest they would say that the Qur’an is the only AUTHENTIC guidance and anything that contradicts it is falsehood. But the Qur’an itself says it will be protected by Allah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovfz3xnsjJ0

No matter how much you love this sinister unity, please be careful who you marry
Does it not sound curious to you that the Shias talk about unity in Sunni countries but promote divisions in their own countries
ie they soften the minds of sunnis towards unity while they harden theirs
Do you see Shias relenting in their doctrine of Rajah when they will punish us severely?
Do you see Shias abandoning the concept of Imamah?

we are debating wudu here while these people openly do shirk and justify it under a nebulous and discredited notion of intercession
Look around youtube. What the Shias say will make your skin crawl
You would have to dabble in shirk if you were to be united with them

But do they want unity?
See how they classify Sunnis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-v2OIHW5VU

See double-face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwnFxWl5YzM

See how the anti-islam memri-tv is using Khomeini’s fatwa on sex change to denigrate Islam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQRZt5Yu4k4

However, there is hope. A lot of shias are leaving that strange sect and finding their way back to the true Islam

Look at these and see how the Shia are misguided
These ayah from the Qur'an debunk the shirk that the Shias do. So let us stick to the Quran as advised
10:18; 39:3 and 2:186

Respectively

And they worship other than Allah that which neither harms them nor benefits them, and they say, "These are our intercessors with Allah "
Say, "Do you inform Allah of something He does not know in the heavens or on the earth?" Exalted is He and high above what they associate with Him

Unquestionably, for Allah is the pure religion. And those who take protectors besides Him [say], "We only worship them that they may bring us nearer to Allah in position." Indeed, Allah will judge between them concerning that over which they differ. Indeed, Allah does not guide he who is a liar and [confirmed] disbeliever

And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided.
Re: Your Ablution (wudu) Under Microscope by maclatunji: 1:11pm On Sep 23, 2013

(1)

To: Abuzola, Olabowale And Other Comrades / (hajj)----------(hajj) / Arnoud-van-doorn Former Antagonist Of Islam Accepts Islam And Performs Hajj 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.