Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,519 members, 7,826,956 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth (5634 Views)

I Dreamed And Saw Where Buhari Was Leading Prayers In Church. / History Of 10 Muharram 2015 - Muharram Short Speech, Essay, Prayers In Urdu / Christians Protecting Muslims During Their Prayers In Egypt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Boll2010: 10:15pm On Sep 22, 2013
Sometimes I can be sooooo lazy,to open mouth pray for night would be a big deal! I would silent make my prayers in my mind, at the same time I always have this feeling like its not accepted,and my reason is because I have find my self in a situation where by I say some bad things in my mind for example; I asked a friend wats that noise,he said he was struggling with a bible so it won't get to fall on the floor, instantly I was like so is that why you want to kiLl yourself! I felt bad after that thinking,but I knock it off that I never meant it!

My question now is anything u think in your mind and not muttering with ur mouth does it really count?? Let me v ur advice sir/ma!
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by normaljenny(m): 11:00pm On Sep 22, 2013
Ask your coinsciense or better still ask God. At your age you should know what is right to do. Don't expect any advice here, the only advise that is good for you is the one you give to yourself. And lastly read your bible for guidiance.
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Joagbaje(m): 4:25am On Sep 23, 2013
Boll2010: Sometimes I can be sooooo lazy,to open mouth pray for night would be a big deal! I would silent make my prayers in my mind, at the same time I always have this feeling like its not accepted,and my reason is because I have find my self in a situation where by I say some bad things in my mind for example; I asked a friend wats that noise,he said he was struggling with a bible so it won't get to fall on the floor, instantly I was like so is that why you want to kiLl yourself! I felt bad after that thinking,but I knock it off that I never meant it!

My question now is anything u think in your mind and not muttering with ur mouth does it really count?? Let me v ur advice sir/ma!

Mind prayer is no prayer. Laziness can't get heavens attention. Prayer must be uttered in words.

1 Like

Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 5:22am On Sep 23, 2013
The Bible may not specifically mention praying silently, but that does not mean it is any less valid than praying out loud. God can hear our thoughts just as easily as He can hear our words (Psalm 139:23; Jeremiah 12:3). Jesus knew the evil thoughts of the Pharisees (Matthew 12:24-26; Luke 11:7). Nothing we do, say, or think is hidden from God, who does not need to hear our words to know our thoughts. He has access to all prayers directed to Him, whether or not they are spoken.

The Bible does mention praying in private (Matthew 6:6). What would be the difference between praying out loud or silently if you are by yourself? There are some circumstances where only silent prayer is appropriate, e.g., praying for something between you and God only, praying for someone who is present, etc. There is not anything wrong with praying silently, as long as we are not doing it because we are embarrassed to be seen praying.

Perhaps the best verse to indicate the validity of unspoken prayers is 1 Thessalonians 5:17: “Pray without ceasing.” To pray unceasingly obviously cannot mean we are praying out loud all of the time. Rather, it means we are to be in a constant state of God-consciousness, where we take every thought captive to Him (2 Corinthians 10:5) and bring every situation, plan, fear, or concern before His throne. Part of unceasing prayer will be prayers that are spoken, whispered, shouted, sung, and silent as we direct our thoughts of praise, petition, supplication, and thanksgiving to God.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/silent-prayer.html#ixzz2fgcTuuj7

2 Likes

Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Joagbaje(m): 5:44am On Sep 23, 2013
italo: The Bible may not specifically mention praying silently, but that does not mean it is any less valid than praying out loud. God can hear our thoughts just as easily as He can hear our words (Psalm 139:23; Jeremiah 12:3). Jesus knew the evil thoughts of the Pharisees (Matthew 12:24-26; Luke 11:7). Nothing we do, say, or think is hidden from God, who does not need to hear our words to know our thoughts.

True God sees our hearts and knows our thoughts. But prayer is of faith. It require action ,utterance. Faith must be expressed not just thought about. The power of prayer is in words. Angels act on our words ,Demons respond to our words. Authority is given with word. Jesus didnt teach us about thinking prayer, he commanded us to SAY.

Mark 11:23
For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

A man who will be lazy to open his mouth or mutter words can't have answer.

Romans 10:8
But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart:that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

1 Like

Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 6:23am On Sep 23, 2013
Joagbaje:

True God sees our hearts and knows our thoughts. But prayer is of faith. It require action ,utterance. Faith must be expressed not just thought about. The power of prayer is in words. Angels act on our words ,Demons respond to our words. Authority is given with word. Jesus didnt teach us about thinking prayer, he commanded us to SAY.

Mark 11:23
For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

A man who will be lazy to open his mouth or mutter words can't have answer.

Romans 10:8
But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart:that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Meditative and contemplative prayer is also an act of faith.

Who are you to say that this kind of prayer cannot be answered?

How are we to pray ceaselessly if prayer is only done in words?
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 6:30am On Sep 23, 2013
Besides, you, like almost every pentecostal, seem to think that prayer is only when you ask God for favours.
Thats why you say silent prayer wont be answered.

Whatever happened to just telling Jesus how you day went, listening to him, telling him you love him etc?

Prayer is communication with God.

God is our loving Father and best Friend, not just our maga that we go to when we want something.

1 Like

Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Sirniyeh(m): 6:44am On Sep 23, 2013
Joagbaje:

Mind prayer is no prayer. Laziness can't get heavens attention. Prayer must be uttered in words.
keep shut. Prove your assertion. Define prayer. Stop postulating erroneous theory that you can not prove.
Meditation is the best form of prayer. It means engaging your spiritman into spiritual action. Opening mouth to pray is illusion
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Joagbaje(m): 7:36am On Sep 23, 2013
Sirniyeh:
keep shut.

I will overlook your insult

Prove your assertion.

I have done that with scriptures

Meditation is the best form of prayer.

Prove your point with scripture dude. Prayers involve words through the mouth

It means engaging your spiritman into spiritual action. Opening mouth to pray is illusion

Use scripture not your head dear
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Gombs(m): 8:37am On Sep 23, 2013
Sirniyeh:
keep shut. Prove your assertion. Define prayer. Stop postulating erroneous theory that you can not prove.
Meditation is the best form of prayer. It means engaging your spiritman into spiritual action. Opening mouth to pray is illusion

How did you think John recorded Jesus' prayer in John 17, if he were 'meditating'(by your assertion n definition of meditation)? Don't you think he was loud enough for John to hear and record it?

How did luke record that Paul and Silas prayed and sang while they were in Jail?...if it wasn't loud enough for someone outside the jail to hear?

Wot of Hannah's prayer? Samson's? David's etc

Meditation is from the greek word 'hagah' in the Bible
And it means mutter under your breath. Such meditation is not mere quietness or daydreaming, but is thoughtfulness with a purpose--to SPEAK to urself "all that is written therein."-the bible

Opening mouth to pray is an illusion? grin

Pls explain d above!

@Op, praying in your mind is ok, but you tend to get distracted by your inner thoughts, when you are in your closet or gathering of brethren, pls do pray out to your hearing.

1 Like

Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 8:50am On Sep 23, 2013
@ Gombs,

Distraction will come to your mind whether you engage in vocal or meditative prayer.
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Gombs(m): 9:00am On Sep 23, 2013
italo: @ Gombs,

Distraction will come to your mind whether you engage in vocal or meditative prayer.

With closed eyes (infact even with open eyes) and intent to pray..when uv said "I want to speak to God"...when you know you have an appointment with God, you can't be distracted, not that it won't come, you will just refuse to yield. But in your mind, you cn strt sleeping or start thinking of that movie or that poorly sewn clothes you are to wear for that wedding etc. You see that this is diff frm speaking out, where all your attention is on your words spoken...etc. Note meditation in d bible is not daydreaming or quiet inner thoughts.

1Peter 4v7 NLT
7 The end of the world is coming soon. Therefore, be earnest and disciplined in your prayers.
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by ijeoma100: 9:09am On Sep 23, 2013
Prayer is communication with God. You don't have to speak - God knows our innermost thoughts.

It seems quite a few people who "say" their prayers in public...especially those who shout at the top if their voices...are not trying to communicate with the Almighty (who isn't deaf by the way), but rather to convince their fellow men that they're righteous.

Prayers spoken aren't more potent than prayers thought. All you need is faith.
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Gombs(m): 9:12am On Sep 23, 2013
ijeoma100: Prayer is communication with God. You don't have to speak - God knows our innermost thoughts.

It seems quite a few people who "say" their prayers in public...especially those who shout at the top if their voices...are not trying to communicate with the Almighty (who isn't deaf by the way), but rather to convince their fellow men that they're righteous.

Prayers spoken aren't more potent than prayers thought. All you need is faith.

Can you explain these for me?

How did you think John recorded Jesus' prayer in
John 17, if "God knows his innermost thoughts" ? Don't you think he was loud
enough for John to hear and record it? Or as you said was he trying to "convince his fellow men that he is righteous."?

How did luke record that Paul and Silas prayed and
sang while they were in Jail?...if it wasn't loud
enough for someone outside the jail to hear?

I am waiting o
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 9:13am On Sep 23, 2013
Gombs:

With closed eyes (infact even with open eyes) and intent to pray..when uv said "I want to speak to God"...when you know you have an appointment with God, you can't be distracted, not that it won't come, you will just refuse to yield,

1Peter 4v7 NLT
7 The end of the world is coming soon. Therefore, be earnest and disciplined in your prayers.

As long as you have noticed that a distraction has come, A DISTRACTION HAS COME. Period.

And it comes whether you are engaging in vocal or meditative prayer.

What you do when it comes is another matter entirely.

Or are you saying that a person doing vocal prayer can refuse to yield but a person doing meditative prayer cannot refuse to yield?
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by ijeoma100: 9:18am On Sep 23, 2013
Gombs:

Can you explain these for me?

How did you think John recorded Jesus' prayer in
John 17, if "God knows his innermost thoughts" ? Don't you think he was loud
enough for John to hear and record it? Or as you said was he trying to "convince his fellow men that he is righteous."?

How did luke record that Paul and Silas prayed and
sang while they were in Jail?...if it wasn't loud
enough for someone outside the jail to hear?

I am waiting o

What are you waiting for? Godot?

Haven't you ever heard of a silent prayer?

Or are you one of those who scream and shout at God when asking for His favour?
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 9:22am On Sep 23, 2013
Unfortunately, there are people among us who think that God who created the mind, heart, mouth & ear will not hear you until you speak your thoughts.

I just wonder why they limit God this way.
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Gombs(m): 9:23am On Sep 23, 2013
Pray how ever you like sir...if you noticed, you'd see that I said praying in your mind is OK...just its prone to distractions. I now said praying out enough TO YOUR HEARING, your focus is on the spoken words to God...when you pray in your mind you focus is on what?

You agree with me that when you have a focus, you have less chances of distraction (not that they won't come o)...no?
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Gombs(m): 9:28am On Sep 23, 2013
ijeoma100:

What are you waiting for? Godot?

Haven't you ever heard of a silent prayer?

Or are you one of those who scream and shout at God when asking for His favour?

I see you can't answer the question...when Jesus wanted to raise Lazarus, why didn't he "think
that God who created the mind, heart, mouth & ear
will hear him not until he speak his thoughts."? (Funny assertion). Why didn't he do 'silent prayer"...why ?
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Gombs(m): 9:37am On Sep 23, 2013
italo: Unfortunately, there are people among us who think that God who created the mind, heart, mouth & ear will not hear you until you speak your thoughts.

I just wonder why they limit God this way.

God needs your words...the words you speak are a witness for/against you for all eternity, whether they be good or evil. Your thoughts however are not, they only are when translated into action, whether the tots are good or evil. Haven't you heard that "you can't stop a bird from flying over your head, but you can stop it from making a nest"?

Jesus said by your word (not thoughts) you shall be condemned, and by your words (not thoughts) you shall be justified. He said you shall give account of every idle words (not thoughts) you SAY (not think). With the mouth (not mind) confession is made unto salvation. Y do you think God, Jesus, Paul were always critical about our words?

Why do you sing aloud? Why do your worship with songs aloud to your hearing? Why not go to church and do silent praise since God knows your tots and heart??
Why then is prayer diff?

I haf a busy day abeg...if you like you cn pray in your dreams since God knows your dream, wot ever rows your boat, do it.

Bye mates!
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 9:51am On Sep 23, 2013
Gombs: Pray how ever you like sir...if you noticed, you'd see that I said praying in your mind is OK...just its prone to distractions. I now said praying out enough TO YOUR HEARING, your focus is on the spoken words to God...when you pray in your mind you focus is on what?

You agree with me that when you have a focus, you have less chances of distraction (not that they won't come o)...no?

How do you listen to God when you are talking?

The earlier you see Jesus as you lover and best friend, the better for you.

With your spouse, you dont have to talk to communicate with him/her. Sometimes you listen to them. Sometimes you just silently relish and contemplate their beauty and goodness...tell me you wouldnt get a message if you woke up to see your spouse next to you staring at you with obvious love. The difference is, you, as a human, would still as why he/she is staring. But God would already know the contents of his/her thoughts.

My friend, it seems that you are inexperienced in meditative prayer, from what you are saying.

We Catholics practise it a lot and can tell you more about it than you can tell us.
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 9:56am On Sep 23, 2013
Gombs:

God needs your words...the words you speak are a witness for/against you for all eternity, whether they be good or evil. Your thoughts however are not, they only are when translated into action, whether the tots are good or evil. Haven't you heard that "you can't stop a bird from flying over your head, but you can stop it from making a nest"?

Jesus said by your word (not thoughts) you shall be condemned, and by your words (not thoughts) you shall be justified. He said you shall give account of every idle words (not thoughts) you SAY (not think). With the mouth (not mind) confession is made unto salvation. Y do you think God, Jesus, Paul were always critical about our words?

Why do you sing aloud? Why do your worship with songs aloud to your hearing? Why not go to church and do silent praise since God knows your tots and heart??
Why then is prayer diff?

I haf a busy day abeg...if you like you cn pray in your dreams since God knows your dream, wot ever rows your boat, do it.

Bye mates!

WRONG!

Matt 5:28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

"IN HIS HEART!"
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Gombs(m): 9:58am On Sep 23, 2013
italo:

How do you listen to God when you are talking?

[s] The earlier you see Jesus as you lover and best friend, the better for you.

With your spouse, you dont have to talk to communicate with him/her. Sometimes you listen to them. Sometimes you just silently relish and contemplate their beauty and goodness...tell me you wouldnt get a message if you woke up to see your spouse next to you staring at you with obvious love. The difference is, you, as a human, would still as why he/she is staring. But God would already know the contents of his/her thoughts.

My friend, it seems that you are inexperienced in meditative prayer, from what you are saying.

We Catholics practise it a lot and can tell you more about it than you can tell us.[/s]

How did Jesus listen to God while he was talking? Remember he was in d garden praying, John was listening and the bible recorded that an angel came down and strengthened him....while he was still talking in prayer..John saw it, definitely Jesus must have heard/felt something, NO?

I cancelled d rest because its not sensible. If I tell my spouse I'd give her N50,000 if Chelsea beats Madrid, if chelsea beats madrid, I'm bounded to give her d money by just words...she can get very angry and so on. But if I tot abt it in my heart, she doesn't have a claim, does she?

Why do gamblers fight after a bet especially if the looser refused to pay up? Its simply because the other guy held him buy his words! Can you hold someone by his tots? Same thing with God, He holds you by your words whether they be good or evil words, not thought.

I told you meditation in the Bible is mutter under your breath...its a quieter form of speaking, a little louder than a whisper. It is not some form of inner thoughts
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 10:18am On Sep 23, 2013
FALLACY ALERT!!!

Gombs:
Same thing with God, He holds you by your words whether they be good or evil words, not thought.

Matt 5:28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

"IN HIS HEART!"

God holds us by our thoughts.
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 23, 2013
Speaking out our words during prayer is crucial. We do not pray with our thoughts. Though God might honor our thoughts, thoughts are not God's way for us to pray. The master said,He said to them, "When you
pray, say : "'Father, hallowed
be your name, your kingdom
come. Luke 11:2
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 23, 2013
italo: FALLACY ALERT!!!

"IN HIS HEART!"

Where is the fallacy? He's also was not wrong!
For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your
words you will be
condemned. Mathew 12:37
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Gombs(m): 10:44am On Sep 23, 2013
italo: FALLACY ALERT!!!

"IN HIS HEART!"

I knew you wud bring dat up grin
Open a thread and invite me in...let's not derail this one
You are delving into d concept of sin and why Jesus said that, to whom and how it affects us after his resurrection. Note, I'm not saying Jesus was wrong o or d line has been abolished. But let's stick to the topic

Your words are important while you pray...simple
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 11:13am On Sep 23, 2013
idnoble135:
Where is the fallacy? He's also was not wrong!
For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your
words you will be
condemned. Mathew 12:37

God holds us to our thoughts. Yes or No?
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 11:14am On Sep 23, 2013
Gombs:

I knew you wud bring dat up grin
Open a thread and invite me in...let's not derail this one
You are delving into d concept of sin and why Jesus said that, to whom and how it affects us after his resurrection. Note, I'm not saying Jesus was wrong o or d line has been abolished. But let's stick to the topic

Your words are important while you pray...simple

God holds us to our thoughts. Yes or no.

Your thoughts are important while you pray...simple.
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 23, 2013
italo:

God holds us to our thoughts. Yes or No?
You are even swerving the discussion. God hears our thoughts and will make judgement by our thoughts amidst a number of things.
But the point is, we pray not with our thoughts but words.
idnoble135: Speaking out our words during prayer is crucial. We do not pray with our thoughts. Though God might honor our thoughts, thoughts are not God's way for us to pray. The master said,He said to them, "When you
pray, say : "'Father, hallowed
be your name, your kingdom
come. Luke 11:2

Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by Gombs(m): 11:32am On Sep 23, 2013
italo:

God holds us to our thoughts. Yes or no.

Your thoughts are important while you pray...simple.

grin
Ok you win...Nobody said your tots are not important while you pray..don't knw whr you got that from. What we saying is you shd not pray with your tots..your words are important
Re: Saying Prayers In Your Mind Without Opening Mouth by italo: 11:46am On Sep 23, 2013
idnoble135:
You are even swerving the discussion. God hears our thoughts and will make judgement by our thoughts amidst a number of things.
But the point is, we pray not with our thoughts but words.

Now you see Gomb's fallacy, dont you?

He said God doesnt hold us to our thoughts.

Now let me show you that you are contradicting yourself.

If I say to God in my mind: "Our Father...etc" and God hears me, have I prayed?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pope Francis Gives Illuminati Hand Signs Before Addressing Congress(pix) / 2017 Prophecies By Dr Chris Okafor Of Mountain Of Liberation Ministries / Open Confession Of Former Cult Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.