Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,324 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 (17711 Views)

Shrewsbury Town Vs Manchester United : FA Cup (0 - 3) oN 22nd Feb 2016 / Stoke City Vs Chelsea: Capital One Cup (5 - 4) pens ON 27th October 2015 / Arsenal Vs Chelsea: Capital One Cup - (0 - 2) On 29th October 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by JMOI: 3:52pm On Sep 23, 2013
Swindon Town manager Mark Cooper is excited at the prospect of pitting his wits against Jose Mourinho in the League Cup on Tuesday.

The League One outfit came through a first-round tie with Torquay United, before being rewarded for an impressive 2-0 success away at Queens Park Rangers with a third-round home draw against Chelsea.

And Cooper, who replaced Kevin MacDonald in charge at the County Ground last month, is relishing the chance for his side to take on such high-quality opposition.

"It's another fantastic test for the players," the 44-year-old said.

"It’s great for the club, I'm sure it will be a full house. It will be all about the players and the club and the fans.

"We'll prepare the best we can but we'll have to prepare to play against some of the best players in the world."

Swindon - who won the League Cup in 1969 as a Third Division side, beating Arsenal 3-1 in extra time -have had a mixed start to their League One campaign.

Cooper’s side have taken 11 points from their eight games so far, and occupy 11th place after their 3-2 win over Bristol City on Saturday.

Meanwhile, their Premier League opponents have had a similarly indifferent start to their own campaign, despite Mourinho’s much-heralded return to Stamford Bridge.

After consecutive home wins over Hull City and Aston Villa, Chelsea went four games without a win in all competitions - drawing with Manchester United before losing to Bayern Munich on penalties in UEFA Super Cup, Everton in the Premier League and Basel in the UEFA Champions League.

However, Mourinho's men bounced back at Stamford Bridge on Saturday with a 2-0 win over Fulham, thanks to goals from Oscar and John Obi Mikel.

Mourinho twice led Chelsea to League Cup glory in three years during his first spell in charge, beating Liverpool and Arsenal in the 2005 and 2007 finals to claim the club’s third and fourth triumphs overall.

His successor Avram Grant also took the side to the final in 2008, but they were beaten 2-1 by Tottenham in extra time.

Chelsea will be hoping for a repeat of the last time they met Swindon, when goals from Gavin Peacock and Dennis Wise handed them a 2-0 win in the Premier League in 1994.

But Swindon were victorious in the only previous League Cup meeting between the two, running out 3-0 winners back in 1963.

Juan Mata will start for Chelsea on Tuesday, Mourinho has confirmed, after the Spaniard was missing from the squad on Saturday.

Mourinho has also revealed that David Luiz, Michael Essien, Ryan Bertrand and Cesar Azpilicueta will all feature.
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by JMOI: 10:28pm On Sep 23, 2013
Juan Mata and David Luiz recalled for Chelsea for Capital One Cup third round clash against Swindon

Mata and Luiz were omitted from the 18-man squad selected to face Fulham on Saturday but they will start at the County Ground alongside weekend substitutes Fernando Torres, Michael Essien and Cesar Azpilicueta.

Their inclusion in the third-round tie against a side sitting mid-table in the third tier will highlight their standing on the fringes of Mourinho’s squad, but while the manager expects them to press their claims for a recall, he has also provided a reminder that a failure to perform will reinforce his recent selection decisions.

“Against Swindon it will probably be good to play with some of these boys to get them confidence if we play well,” said the manager. “It is the type of game that can betray you. It can give you confidence or take your confidence. If we play well there, it will be a good game to play these boys.

“Naturally I have to make some changes and wait for some players to say, ‘I am you first choice – compulsory’. Some of the others when they don’t have strong effective performances, it’s normal we have some doubts. This is the process.”

Mata has been told he must adapt to a different role after Mourinho confirmed Oscar was his preferred choice in the playmaker, insisting the Spain international must show a willingness to accept a harder working role on the flanks. Steve Holland, Mourinho’s number two, believes the Spaniard will get the message.

“In this case, it’s a top professional footballer with a fantastic attitude,” Holland said. “He trained yesterday and there’s not a great deal to be said to Juan. He knows the score.” And added: “Jose has his own way, but he’s hard working like the other managers I’ve worked with here, his attention to detail is second to none.

“With Jose, as a difference, he’s pushing daily, pushing the players to the maximum every day. That’s evident not just in his team, but in the individuals he’s worked with.

“If you look Ronaldo’s three-year period under Jose, he’s evolved as an individual. He’s not just a dribbler, but a top level match winner who can run in behind, make runs and threaten the goal. That comes with pushing, even pushing the best. Whether it’s David, Frank [Lampard], Juan, Fernando or Ashley [Cole], he’ll be looking for signs of improvement for the benefit of the team.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10328565/Juan-Mata-and-David-Luiz-recalled-for-Chelsea-for-Capital-One-Cup-third-round-clash-against-Swindon.html
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by JMOI: 12:13am On Sep 24, 2013
Chelsea's performance so far this season

In West London, Chelsea parted ways amicably with interim manager, Rafa Benitez, after he guided them to the Europa League triumph and secured a UEFA Champions League spot for the Blues this season by finishing in third place. In came Jose Mourinho, the Special One, “fresh” from a turbulent season in Spain, with new tactics and a different long-term vision for the club.

He decided to let go of some of the players from the previous season by either sending them to other clubs or reducing them to bit-part roles in the club this season. Juan Mata – who was voted Chelsea’s player of the 2012-13 season and the one before – was one of the players affected by the latter, along with Fernando Torres, Demba Ba, John Mikel Obi, David Luiz and Cesar Azpilicueta.

These were some of the players that formed the backbone of Chelsea’s team that conquered Europe’s tough second tier of continental football and ensured that the Blues qualified for this season’s UEFA Champions League. While the decision of the Happy One to overlook them may be startling, it’s good to remember that he’s one coach whose decisions that seem unconventional and bizarre have helped him win league trophies in four different European countries – Portugal, England, Italy and Spain – including two Champions Leagues.

Chelsea’s struggles this season have seen them go on a four-match winless streak, including three consecutive defeats at the hands of Bayern Munich, Everton and FC Basel. They’ve lost in all the competitions they’ve competed in so far (not including Tuesday evening’s Capital One match with Swindon Town).

But these are early pointers to areas in the team that are not yet the way they should be and if Jose Mourinho takes a critical look at them, it may put the perennial mid-season crisis that plagued Chelsea over the last couple of seasons in check.

http://observerreports.com/2013/09/5-matches-into-the-2013-14-english-premier-league-the-big-four-so-far/
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 24, 2013
I no fit shout.....dis gonna be training to my boys.....#KTBFFH!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by manover: 12:44pm On Sep 24, 2013
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Philipmems(m): 12:44pm On Sep 24, 2013
Na trashing tins oh
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Christane: 12:44pm On Sep 24, 2013
I pray mikel obi score again 2dae...amen
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Ibangap(m): 12:47pm On Sep 24, 2013
Chelsea will win dis one, because dey r using d second eleven. I wouldn't guarantee dem a win against swindon wit dia first team.
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by kingarizona(m): 12:48pm On Sep 24, 2013
HAT-TRICK for dehdeh Mikel Obi gringringrin
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Lilaex: 12:49pm On Sep 24, 2013
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Lilaex: 12:50pm On Sep 24, 2013
Ibanga p: Chelsea will win dis one, because dey r using d second eleven. I wouldn't guarantee dem a win against swindon wit dia first team.

Mad man.. Use ur head not ur anus 4 Reasoning
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by dridowu: 12:51pm On Sep 24, 2013
I 8 okada/agbero club. Chelsea must lose
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Oyedey4u(m): 12:52pm On Sep 24, 2013
Easy ride will this be for the blues..... I wonder if they can use their reserve players to save their first team from stress..... If it is ARSENE...... you will hear of wonderful name that will play the match............. 17 year old boys........
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Lilaex: 12:52pm On Sep 24, 2013
--
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Lilaex: 12:54pm On Sep 24, 2013
dridowu: I 8 okada/agbero club. Chelsea must lose

Id!ot. U sound like an illiterate... Wating bring all this foolishness??

1 Like

Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by resdan(m): 12:55pm On Sep 24, 2013
grin cool tongue undecided kiss cry
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by sweetiePe(f): 12:56pm On Sep 24, 2013
Mata & Luiz in line for Chelsea return against Swindon

The duo were omitted from the squad which faced Fulham on Saturday but are due to feature against the League One club as Jose Mourinho rotates his side

Jose Mourinho is set to hand starts to Juan Mata and David Luiz for Chelsea's Capital One Cup tie against Swindon on Tuesday.

The duo have been on the fringes of Mourinho's side this season and were left out of Chelsea's matchday squad against Fulham on Saturday.

Fernando Torres, Michael Essien, Willian, Ryan Bertrand and Cesar Azpilicueta are also in line to feature against the League One outfit and Mourinho believes it is a chance for players to stake their place for a regular role.

“Against Swindon it will probably be good to play with some of these boys to get them confidence if we play well,” the Chelsea manager told reporters.

“It is the type of game that can betray you. It can give you confidence or take your confidence.

“Naturally I have to make some changes and wait for some players to say, ‘I am you first choice – compulsory’.

"Some of the others when they don’t have strong effective performances, it’s normal we have some doubts. This is the process.”

More Football Updates>>>http://www.rosyside.com/pt/Mata--Luiz-in-line-for-Chelsea-return-against-Swindon-9.24.2013/discussion.htm

Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by gradeA(m): 12:58pm On Sep 24, 2013
hope chelsea win sha
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 24, 2013
chelsea

1 Like

Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Afam4eva(m): 1:00pm On Sep 24, 2013
Swindon has been impressive recently and i see them winning this one against a depressed chelsea side.
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Lilaex: 1:03pm On Sep 24, 2013
Foool we won our last game so were is the "depression" coming from... U must be a manU fan I feel ur pain..!! Lol!!!

Afam4eva: Swindon has been impressive recently and i see them winning this one against a depressed chelsea side.

1 Like

Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by nkeboy(m): 1:05pm On Sep 24, 2013
Chelsea all d way joor......Mata have missed ur style of play grin
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Lilaex: 1:06pm On Sep 24, 2013
--
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Brimmie(m): 1:11pm On Sep 24, 2013
Space Booked By Suarez!

#TeamLFC
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by nickz(m): 1:15pm On Sep 24, 2013
I SEE GOALS EVERYWHERE but I #stillrep reds
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by snoop02: 1:24pm On Sep 24, 2013
Visit naijafunction.tk 4 latest updates,new,music,video etc
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by chelseabmw(m): 1:31pm On Sep 24, 2013
No TV station will show the match sad sad sad
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by agrovick(m): 1:40pm On Sep 24, 2013
Mata abeg shame baba mourinho #teamcfc
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by dridowu: 1:42pm On Sep 24, 2013
Lilaex:

Id!ot. U sound like an illiterate... Wating bring all this foolishness??
Lilaex: Foool we won our last game so were is the "depression" coming from... U must be a manU fan I feel ur pain..!! Lol!!!

my families and your families are not the owner of CFC, so y d dirty words ? Using dirty words shows that u need to upgrade ur iq to latest version.
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Agimor(m): 1:53pm On Sep 24, 2013
chelseabmw: No TV station will show the match sad sad sad
Probably no channel will be showing the match..but you can tune to raypower for life commentary.lolzz
Re: Swindon Town Vs Chelsea - Capital One Cup (0 - 2) On 24th Sept 2013 by Kaxmytex(m): 2:09pm On Sep 24, 2013
Make chelsea no underrate diz guyz o.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Which Football Club You Love Watching But Do Not Support? / Lionel Messi Sidelined For Two Months With Hamstring Injury / Liverpool Vs Crystal Palace (3 - 0) On 18 September 2021

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.