Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,983 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:37 AM

World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. (9535 Views)

Understand More About Your Medicines / WHO Endorses Use Of HIV Medicines For Prevention / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by joshuapharm(m): 8:00pm On Sep 25, 2013
Its a day to celebrate the profession, its a day to create awareness, sensitize the public about the role of pharmacists in healthcare. The Nigerian public, ive come to observe is unaware about how dangerous drugs are, even paracetamol can pack up your liver. 'Drugs are poisons' was the first thing i learnt in pharmacy school(my pct lecturer rang this into our hears). Just this week, i was able to stop a woman from using tetracycline and flagyl for a baby who had diarrhea, i was also able to prevent another woman from buying promethazine(oraxin) syrup and cyproheptadine. A lot and lots of other incidences like this happen everywhere and we are placed at that point, we need to let them know it's their right for their prescription to pass through a pharmacist, we need to start answering the name 'pharmacist' and correct them whenever they call us doctors, it's not pride, its dignity.. Cheers
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by adeoladrg(m): 8:08pm On Sep 25, 2013
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by hanzofresh: 8:14pm On Sep 25, 2013
she-blayze:
Good points raised. However, the average Pharmacist working in a Nigerian hospital has limited functions. That is why patients doubt our abilities but have more faith in doctors. I saw this during my industrial training. How can a (central) hospital have all its pharmacists in one big room? How can pharmacist-patient confidentiality be developed when there is no privacy? How can you patiently and effectively counsel a patient when you are standing and there are atleast more than 50 patients waiting for your services? Painfully, the average Nigerian cannot differentiate between the pharmacist and the ('chemist') patent medicine dealer. Most countries have long done away with Bpharm programme but this is 2013 and Nigerians and sadly to say pharmacists (including students) are just becoming aware of the PharmD programme. Bpharm has more to do with manufacturing while PharmD is more patient-oriented. The theme for this year's world pharmacy day is to make medicine use easier no matter how complex. How can it be achieved in Nigeria when the pharmacist is under duress, when Pharmaceutical care is yet to be implemented in most health institutions? This year, in PANS national conference held in Unilag, it became obvious that members of the profession lack unity which is essential if we are to progress. We blame government for all our lapses. But we are to blame. Where were we when other health professionals were taking up positions in government or even sponsoring politicians who can represent them? Thankfully, we've left the 6 by 6 window system lol.

We still have a lot to do before we can happily and/or proudly celebrate World Pharmacy day. Hopefully, we'll get there someday.

ProudlyRx
nice one there. But as for d PANS National conventn @ Unilag, d Planners messed d whole ting up from day one. PANSites as noble peolple which we are endured but couldnt pocket mediocrity. I've bin to oder conventions before and it was memorable. Happy World Pharmacist day my Broda
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by hanzofresh: 8:14pm On Sep 25, 2013
she-blayze:
Good points raised. However, the average Pharmacist working in a Nigerian hospital has limited functions. That is why patients doubt our abilities but have more faith in doctors. I saw this during my industrial training. How can a (central) hospital have all its pharmacists in one big room? How can pharmacist-patient confidentiality be developed when there is no privacy? How can you patiently and effectively counsel a patient when you are standing and there are atleast more than 50 patients waiting for your services? Painfully, the average Nigerian cannot differentiate between the pharmacist and the ('chemist') patent medicine dealer. Most countries have long done away with Bpharm programme but this is 2013 and Nigerians and sadly to say pharmacists (including students) are just becoming aware of the PharmD programme. Bpharm has more to do with manufacturing while PharmD is more patient-oriented. The theme for this year's world pharmacy day is to make medicine use easier no matter how complex. How can it be achieved in Nigeria when the pharmacist is under duress, when Pharmaceutical care is yet to be implemented in most health institutions? This year, in PANS national conference held in Unilag, it became obvious that members of the profession lack unity which is essential if we are to progress. We blame government for all our lapses. But we are to blame. Where were we when other health professionals were taking up positions in government or even sponsoring politicians who can represent them? Thankfully, we've left the 6 by 6 window system lol.

We still have a lot to do before we can happily and/or proudly celebrate World Pharmacy day. Hopefully, we'll get there someday.

ProudlyRx
nice one there. But as for d PANS National conventn @ Unilag, d Planners messed d whole ting up from day one. PANSites as noble peolple which we are endured but couldnt pocket mediocrity. I've bin to oder conventions before and it was memorable. Happy World Pharmacist day my Broda
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by lagcity(m): 8:54pm On Sep 25, 2013
Pharmacists are underutilized and underappreciated in America and Nigeria. They are drug experts and know a lot more about pharmacology than physicians. Physicians who work closely and consult with pharmacists are wise because their patients will certainly get the best health outcomes. All hail Doctors of Pharmacy.

3 Likes

Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by Nobody: 9:20pm On Sep 25, 2013
lagcity: Pharmacists are underutilized and underappreciated in America and Nigeria. They are drug experts and know a lot more about pharmacology than physicians. Physicians who work closely and consult with pharmacists are wise because their patients will certainly get the best health outcomes. All hail Doctors of Pharmacy.

can u ppl leave doctors out of ur talks?
Must everything be compared with doctors?
Are doctors struggling for who knows pharmacology more btw pharmacists and themselves?

2 Likes

Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by hanzofresh: 9:25pm On Sep 25, 2013
Happy World Pharmacist day fellow Nigerians.
Always Endeavour to consult your Pharmacist on any medication whatsoever you are taking, be it western, Orthodox, herbal, Traditional, among others.
We have an obligation to ensuring your acces to safe medication
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by sheblayze(f): 9:40pm On Sep 25, 2013
hanzofresh:

Thanks Hanzo. I'm female though. I hope you didn't join in the dinnerparty 'show' that happened lol. You are right, the one in UI made sense. As Adeola rightly said, we will thrive. Let us embrace whoever bears the Rx sign. We are men of honour, let's join hands.

1 Like

Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by sheblayze(f): 9:43pm On Sep 25, 2013

Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by sikells(m): 10:25pm On Sep 25, 2013
hanzofresh:
the only university in nigeria currently having the pharmD programme is uniben
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by Yerimzo(m): 10:42pm On Sep 25, 2013
Honestly,it can b disheartenin how much most peepz in d society seem not to knw d worth of a pharm.Its takin 4ever to make a larger majority aware.Wud keep doin ma thing though.....As men of honor.......We join hands.

1 Like

Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by yoged(m): 11:16pm On Sep 25, 2013
Tried Oau for like 4years just to study pharmacy because i love the course and my dad is a pharmacist and likewise has a pharmaceutical shop. Ended up studing Chemistry in Unilorin. Life at times...
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by lagcity(m): 5:46am On Sep 26, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Are doctors struggling for who knows pharmacology more btw pharmacists and themselves?

Looks like I hit a nerve. Just telling it like it is. If you disagree, I want to hear your argument. If not, stick your stethoscope in your _____ tongue and call your pharmacist for some morphine cos u will need it.

3 Likes

Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by adeoladrg(m): 8:16am On Sep 26, 2013
ngozievergreen:

No one is struggling with you here.. But how can we leave them out when they undermine our autonomy in the hospital. That's a topic for another day, don't spoil the joyful mood abeg..
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by adeoladrg(m): 8:25am On Sep 26, 2013
yoged: Tried Oau for like 4years just to study pharmacy because i love the course and my dad is a pharmacist and likewise has a pharmaceutical shop. Ended up studing Chemistry in Unilorin. Life at times...

I was sad as I read this post sha.. I also waited 4 years b4 I got into pharmacy school as my mum is also a pharmacist. I also tried Unilag, OAU and UI, buh when the desperateness reaches its climax, i opted for OOU cos I didn't see myself become anything else apart from been a pharmacist. Unilorin now has pharmacy nw, there's a unilorin pharmacy IT student presently in my place of work, you can try ur best.. Pursuit is the prove of desire, if you want it, then go for it.. God'll surely help you...
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 26, 2013
lagcity:

Looks like I hit a nerve. Just telling it like it is. If you disagree, I want to hear your argument. If not, stick your stethoscope in your _____ tongue and call your pharmacist for some morphine cos u will need it.
adeola_drg:

No one is struggling with you here.. But how can we leave them out when they undermine our autonomy in the hospital. That's a topic for another day, don't spoil the joyful mood abeg..
lagcity:

@ Lagcity, inferiority complex @ its peak.
How many tyms do doctors discuss sth by comparing themselves to other professions?
The answer is none cos they are proud of what they do,
i dont understand y u guys are just not proud.
Thought everybody shd be in a class of his own

2 Likes

Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by DrKlever(m): 12:10pm On Sep 26, 2013
ngozievergreen:

How many tyms do doctors discuss sth by comparing themselves to other professions?
. Lol this lady is sure bitter. But why? If what you noticed here is inferiority complex then yours is chronic beef. You need to take your medications miss because as it not been for the pharmB in Nigeria there wouldn't be a signicant difference between the physicians and the pharmacists. Get a job and don't derail pharmacists thread!

1 Like

Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by KDULAR: 1:29pm On Sep 26, 2013
All this above insults and expression of childishness is un called for. Like when you become a professional and starts encountering some clinical issues, you'll discover that pharmacology has not much to contribute in clinical settings but all aspects of pharmacy training, thus the boast of who knows pharmacology doesn't count.
The first introduction of B. Pharm in Nigeria I think was in 1989 in UNIBEN, prior to which there was BSc pharmacy. In a space of less than 20 years, we are now having Pharm D in some schools that is a positive. The B. Pharm degree is a bridge between highly product oriented BSc Pharmacy and clinical oriented PharmD. Be that as it may, for those who are feeling that Pharm D is all what you need now, it is not so . You may Go for the traditional B.pharm if you are thinking of hanging on to other aspects of pharmacy but for you to be more effective in the clinical setting, you've got to have Pharm D. Clinical setting is not all that pharmacy is about.

This is a profession that every other person both in health care and non healthcare sector ( Doctors nurses, lab, politicians, businessmen, Ikechukwu , Danjuma, Kayode, Tesoo,Akpan) wants to pract5ice simply because of its uniqueness, realness, and lucrativeness. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. That all efforts by members of the profwession to sanitize it has been met with great opposition even by the FMH of FGN because the heads of these ministries are too scared to; see some relevance taken away from their profession and economic advancement of the legal and rightful practitioners of the profession

Most hospitals in Nigeria if not all does not have even the minimum number of pharmacist to run the lowest acceptable standard of pharmaceutical care. Most hospital management does not even want pharmaceutical services to be rendered, they 'll rather want to be content with whoever is in the dispensary or pharmacy to "just hand " over drugs to patient after being able to read and count the number of drugs prescribed by the medical officer. The quality of services rendered is not in their concern. Imagine a clinic with 6 doctors 15 nurses , and 1 pharmacist amongst other health professionals. If the 3 patient are to arrive at the pharmacy the same time, and evry 10-15 minutes, each of those doctors are releasing a patient, someone tell me how even a watery pharmacy service could be rendered. When building hospital even new ones, there are no professional imput by the pharmacist on how the dispensary is to be and be situated in relation to services to be rendered. But in all this an average pharmacist has been trying what he/ she could to getb the job done like men of honour they are they discharge their duties even in the face of professional , administrative and financial strangulations by those who administers hospitals.
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by adeoladrg(m): 1:36pm On Sep 26, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Pls just ignore her... Seems you don't understand english...

DrKlever: . Lol this lady is sure bitter. But why? If what you noticed here is inferiority complex then yours is chronic beef. You need to take your medications miss because as it not been for the pharmB in Nigeria there wouldn't be a signicant difference between the physicians and the pharmacists. Get a job and don't derail pharmacists thread!

Chronic beef? Ahh, she'll need some serious pharmacotherapy.. Thanks tho..

Meanwhile, it's going down here, come and join us. https://www.nairaland.com/1452911/pharmacists-pharmacy-students-interns-home/1#18376803
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by adeoladrg(m): 2:52pm On Sep 26, 2013
http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publications/issue/2013/September2013/Study-Shows-Tablet-Computers-Use-in-Hospital-Medication-Checks

Click and read, we'll get there too... They don't know we'd make the physicians work even easier, it all falls down on the patients tho.
The point is, when pharmaceutical care is not present or up to standard as proposed by hepler and strand, healthcare isn't complete.

KDULAR: All this above insults and expression of childishness is un called for. Like when you become a professional and starts encountering some clinical issues, you'll discover that pharmacology has not much to contribute in clinical settings but all aspects of pharmacy training, thus the boast of who knows pharmacology doesn't count.
The first introduction of B. Pharm in Nigeria I think was in 1989 in UNIBEN, prior to which there was BSc pharmacy. In a space of less than 20 years, we are now having Pharm D in some schools that is a positive. The B. Pharm degree is a bridge between highly product oriented BSc Pharmacy and clinical oriented PharmD. Be that as it may, for those who are feeling that Pharm D is all what you need now, it is not so . You may Go for the traditional B.pharm if you are thinking of hanging on to other aspects of pharmacy but for you to be more effective in the clinical setting, you've got to have Pharm D. Clinical setting is not all that pharmacy is about.

This is a profession that every other person both in health care and non healthcare sector ( Doctors nurses, lab, politicians, businessmen, Ikechukwu , Danjuma, Kayode, Tesoo,Akpan) wants to pract5ice simply because of its uniqueness, realness, and lucrativeness. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked. That all efforts by members of the profwession to sanitize it has been met with great opposition even by the FMH of FGN because the heads of these ministries are too scared to; see some relevance taken away from their profession and economic advancement of the legal and rightful practitioners of the profession

Most hospitals in Nigeria if not all does not have even the minimum number of pharmacist to run the lowest acceptable standard of pharmaceutical care. Most hospital management does not even want pharmaceutical services to be rendered, they 'll rather want to be content with whoever is in the dispensary or pharmacy to "just hand " over drugs to patient after being able to read and count the number of drugs prescribed by the medical officer. The quality of services rendered is not in their concern. Imagine a clinic with 6 doctors 15 nurses , and 1 pharmacist amongst other health professionals. If the 3 patient are to arrive at the pharmacy the same time, and evry 10-15 minutes, each of those doctors are releasing a patient, someone tell me how even a watery pharmacy service could be rendered. When building hospital even new ones, there are no professional imput by the pharmacist on how the dispensary is to be and be situated in relation to services to be rendered. But in all this an average pharmacist has been trying what he/ she could to getb the job done like men of honour they are they discharge their duties even in the face of professional , administrative and financial strangulations by those who administers hospitals.

U raised very important points I'd want my classmates and errione to take note of.. But I don't understand the third part I made bold... Thanks for posting.. Bless ya..
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 26, 2013
All this fight doesnt concern me sef, na to pass and do so distinctively be my worry. **grabsMicrobiologyyTextbook
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by adeoladrg(m): 8:09pm On Sep 26, 2013
#me@:
All this fight doesnt concern me sef, na to pass and do so distinctively be my worry. **grabsMicrobiologyyTextbook

My man, shud be Hugo and Rosell- Pharmaceutical microbiology.. Carry dey go jare.. Me sef wan start with physiology..

The girl is not a doc sef, I'm too sure.. Errione shud just ignore her..
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by Nmeri17: 10:08pm On Sep 26, 2013
Pharmacists eh...Their products have long complicated names. Now, common post on forum wey everybody dey make, see as their own resemble terms and conditions:-|
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by Nobody: 11:15pm On Sep 26, 2013
adeola_drg:

My man, shud be Hugo and Rosell- Pharmaceutical microbiology.. Carry dey go jare.. Me sef wan start with physiology..

The girl is not a doc sef, I'm too sure.. Errione shud just ignore her..
dont forget, Trease and Evans Pharmacognosy kiki yu guys wuld soon start using it
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by adeoladrg(m): 8:12am On Sep 27, 2013
Nmeri17: Pharmacists eh...Their products have long complicated names. Now, common post on forum wey everybody dey make, see as their own resemble terms and conditions:-|
Lol @ terms and conditions..

KingMEXX: dont forget, Trease and Evans Pharmacognosy kiki yu guys wuld soon start using it
Is Trease and Evans the only book for Cognosy? Someone shud come up with another one abeg...
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by joshuapharm(m): 8:27am On Sep 27, 2013
ngozievergreen:

We Pharmacists are proud of what we do.. In the community and industry, we have no opposition. But in the hospital where patients-centered care must be given, u wont give us breathing space, u're saying sum1 is inferior, dont lemme smack u.. Much has been said about Nigerian physicians, wont want to go into that now.. Buh I think its backward for them not to allow pharmacists go for ward-round, it doesn't just make sense, but trust me... Whether the devil likes it or not, we'll get there...

2 Likes

Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by Nobody: 8:37am On Sep 27, 2013
adeola_drg:
Lol @ terms and conditions..

Is Trease and Evans the only book for Cognosy? Someone shud come up with another one abeg...
hahaha, nawa for that textbook! It is well
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by adeoladrg(m): 9:52am On Sep 27, 2013
Where is OnAGooday? Jst wanted to share something I read on his blog.. Trying not to cry for the pour girl..

http://mypharmacymydream./2013/09/23/as-you-read-this-storybring-your-handkerchief-close-and-know-it-that-a-pharmacist-is-a-pharmacist-and-cannot-be-replaced/
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by Tycoon4(m): 10:23am On Sep 27, 2013
Nmeri17: Pharmacists eh...Their products have long complicated names. Now, common post on forum wey everybody dey make, see as their own resemble terms and conditions:-|

I'm trying very hard to make sense of this post!

*Disappointed*
Re: World Pharmacy Day: Simplifying Your Medicines Use, No Matter How Complex. by somtea(m): 11:12am On Sep 27, 2013
kelvin_christus: Mexx my man...how you guys doing? Help me grit Anazodo Francis and Somto...data gr8 Lions.

Oga I see u o!
Of d greatest invincibles

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For June 20 2021 In Nigeria / Fibroid. Is There Really A Herbal Cure? / Slim Tea Nigeria Is The Best Fat Burner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.