Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,956 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

Being Nice vs. Telling The Truth - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Being Nice vs. Telling The Truth (1326 Views)

Are Fortune Tellers Really Telling The Truth? / Is The South African Media Telling The Truth About T.B. Joshua? / Telling The Truth About Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being Nice vs. Telling The Truth by dearie(m): 1:37pm On Jun 05, 2006
Between Morality And Standing In Faith

Please, what's your take on this:

A certain man of God visits a family and was invited to the dining table for lunch. On sighting the food, he knew it was badly prepared and on tasting it, he confirmed it. It tasted badly. Then the lady asks him how nice the food was. At this time, every member of that household was waiting to hear his response, obviously sensing the sensitivity of the issue, knowing his morality was at stake. Then for the split second, he prayed to God for direction, as it appeared he was at a cross-road.

As a X-tian, what would be your response? would u be religious and damn morality to say the truth, or u would rather be moral n compromise your faith by telling a 'lie'.

What would u do?
Re: Being Nice vs. Telling The Truth by otokx(m): 2:21pm On Jun 05, 2006
I'd say it tastes quite different from what am used to.
Re: Being Nice vs. Telling The Truth by shawna(f): 10:07pm On Jun 13, 2006
no i would tell the truth
nobody wants to hear the truth because truth is bitter and thats just the way it is
Re: Being Nice vs. Telling The Truth by kiwibabe(f): 8:06pm On Jun 15, 2006
I would start off with the sentence, the food is wonderful but,
it has a bit to much salt,
too much pepper,,
or its a bit overcooked,
or undercooked, and not to my taste,

I would try not to comapre the cooking to someone else's, but I would bring up in conversation something on the lines of my Mum made the best ever, (depending on what the meal is) in the world.

and hopefully the cook will not take it too offensive, but I would have gotten my point accross without repeatedly offending. (I WOULD DEFINATELY THINK BEFORE I SPOKE)
Re: Being Nice vs. Telling The Truth by syrup(f): 9:45pm On Jun 15, 2006
dearie:

Between Morality And Standing In Faith

As a X-tian, what would be your response? would u be religious and damn morality to say the truth, or u would rather be moral n compromise your faith by telling a 'lie'.

This doesn't seem to undo the knots. It's as if morality has nothing to do with being religious - but that's an impossible situation, because they go together. One can hardly be standing in faith if the question of morality is ignored; and how does being moral equal compromising one's faith?

Anyway, I'll tell the truth, albeit in a condescending and graceful manner. If I don't, a few things might crop up:

(a) who knows if my host deliberately set such a dish to test the genuineness of my commitment to God?
If I fail to tell the truth, there'll be enuf grounds for them to complain about my morality after I've left
the scene.

(b) one lie leads to another - it'll only be a matter of giving each lie a different name to euphemize whatever
tension is on ground.

(c) the truth hurts - but a lie will hurt as badly or even worse so; I'd better be embarrassed today by telling
the truth than be applauded for lying only to be exposed sometime in the future.

Okay, I'll smile (as I've always done in similar cases) and put it this way: "What's the dish called?" Host tells me, then I respond: "Hmm. . ., well I'm not used to a meal like this, but I'm sure we all have different tastes." It's not a surefire anecdote, but while it has failed me in some, it has saved me in others. All the same, I'll try and be honest about the matter in a gentle and loving spirit, which is not an easy thing to do.
Re: Being Nice vs. Telling The Truth by tpia1: 12:40am On Jan 08, 2011
compliment the cook and swallow the food.

might be hard though.

try to give some tips in a non-offensive way.
Re: Being Nice vs. Telling The Truth by seyibrown(f): 2:37am On Jan 09, 2011
What is delicious to Bisi might not be so to Ngozi! Praise and express appreciation for the cook's effort and kindness! It matters more than the taste of the food!

(1) (Reply)

From Her Own Lips / Oluwa Champion / The Rapture- A 19th Century Doctrine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.