Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,944 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

‘God’s Willing, I [won’t ] Be Back’: Taylor Gets Final Nail - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / ‘God’s Willing, I [won’t ] Be Back’: Taylor Gets Final Nail (566 Views)

You’ll Never Guess What’s In A Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte (hint: You Won’t Be / Charles Taylor Sentenced to 50 Years in Prison / Charles Taylor Awaits War Crimes Court’s Verdict (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

‘God’s Willing, I [won’t ] Be Back’: Taylor Gets Final Nail by 3RNEST(m): 10:46am On Sep 27, 2013
Liberia’s Charles Taylor’s appeal against his 50 years jail sentence was finally trashed Thursday in The Hague as the International Criminal Court (ICC) upheld the court’s verdict, meaning that the former Liberian Leader will spend the rest of his life behind bars. shocked

Taylor was found guilty for ‘aiding and abetting’ the Sierra Leonean war by the ICC and a 50-year- sentence was placed over his head earlier this year. But his lawyers took an appeal which was turned today in a final verdict the prosecutors termed as “fair and reasonable”.
But his lead defense expressed complete disappointment in the verdict. The head of the team told the BBC few minutes after the verdict: “There’s selectiveness on who gets convicted……Taylor ran out of friends”.
His ‘life time’ style of verdict comes five days after his relatives, loved ones and loyalists had held an intercessory service for him in Monrovia with the hope that a reasonable verdict would be handed the man who led the country’s civil war from 1990 until the end of its first phase in 1997 after which he won a landslide victory.

Former President Taylor was charged with 11 counts in mid-2003 with crimes ranging from use of child soldiers, murder, rape among others and was indicted while still serving as president, as Taylor at the time was already under pressure from a warring group in Liberia which had neared the capital Monrovia.
Taylor then fled to neighbouring Nigeria in August of 2003, resigning as President to give way to peace now being enjoyed by the country which just celebrated a decade of uninterrupted peace since 1990.

But his last words had been, “God’s willing, I will be back”, a sentence most of his loyalists still believed till today’s final verdict that will see him die in jail as the 65-years old would have turned 108 years when the sentence expires because he has already spent 7 years in detention which include his trial time.

[url="http://thefactsnews.com/index.php/news/319-god-s-willing-i-won-t-be-back-taylor-gets-final-nail]Source[/url]
Re: ‘God’s Willing, I [won’t ] Be Back’: Taylor Gets Final Nail by princesammmy: 11:32am On Sep 27, 2013
He said God's willing, so anything can happen and God can will and He will be back
Re: ‘God’s Willing, I [won’t ] Be Back’: Taylor Gets Final Nail by 3RNEST(m): 4:15pm On Sep 27, 2013
princesammmy: He said God's willing, so anything can happen and God can will and He will be back
we pray he cam back...

(1) (Reply)

US Government Shutdown In Effect / Saudi Arabia Reject UN Security Council Seat / Nelson Mandela Biography

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.