Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,756 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

How To Escape Alcohol Addiction - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Escape Alcohol Addiction (11766 Views)

... / Alcohol Addiction / How To Overcome Alcohol Addiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by megajay1(m): 2:14am On Sep 29, 2013
Alcohol addiction - A serious problem
Getting addicted to drinking alcohol has serious consequences. It damages the liver and disrupts the normal metabolic activities of the human body. It is difficult to quit but not impossible. Here are a few steps which can be followed to escape from alcohol addiction.

Do not let the intention to die
The intention to quit must be strong and you must first make up your mind clear that you will not be touching them again. You need to think that alcohol is your enemy and you are going to quit drinking for your own welfare. You must not feel that you are forced to stop drinking just because of advice from someone but rather in the bottom of the heart must have the feeling that it was you who initiated and wanted to quit. If you do not have that intention, then there are chances that when that person who wanted you to quit alcohol is not around, you may consume it.
Get rid of everything that reminds you of alcohol
It is recommended that you get rid of all bottles from your premises. If you feel you have guests who drink, then it is definitely not wrong to offer them tea or coffee or any soft drink at least till you are completely out of the addiction. It is better not to visit friends whom you fear that joining with them would make you resume drinking alcohol.
Avoid social drinking during this phase
When you are in the phase of quitting alcohol addiction, it is better to avoid social drinking, as it may tempt you to consume more. There is no necessity to feel shy to say your colleagues that you want to quit alcohol and that is the reason you are not drinking in parties. If you find it difficult to avoid drinking, then it is better not to attend the parties, at least till you are completely out of that addiction.
Consult Rehabilitation Centre
There are several rehabilitation centres around which help you to get rid of alcohol. They train you, motivate you and be with you as you work out to come out of the addiction. The doctors over there would measure your body health and other conditions and update you during the phase. You can also consult a doctor in private without reaching rehabilitation centre. The only advantage of rehabilitation centre is that you will have fear in your heart that someone is monitoring you.
Measure your success
Once you decide to quit and working towards it, then measure how much you drunk previous month, previous week and now. You can feel the difference as you start quitting. You will have a different way of feeling hunger, thirst and the outside world will start seeming to look beautiful to your eyes. It is necessary to make up your mind so that you are strong till you reach a point where you do not drink the entire month. You are completely out of addiction, when you see a bottle of alcohol right in front of your eyes and do not dare to touch it.
Help others to quit
This may seem a bit weird but this has a strong impact on you quitting the alcohol permanently. When you help and advice others, by default you will feel the pressure to quit greatly reduced. When you advice your friend or someone about the negative consequences of drinking alcohol, and joining rehabilitation centre to help others, you are making sure that you do not touch alcohol again.
SOURCE: http://cliniconomy..com/2013/09/how-to-escape-alcohol-addiction.html

1 Like

Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by infoscope(m): 3:13pm On Sep 30, 2013
No comment yet and on front page?
However, overcoming addiction is not as easy as many think.... I think the surest way of overcoming any form of addiction is by divine intervention.

1 Like

Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by shachris02: 3:15pm On Sep 30, 2013
It's easier said than done.
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 30, 2013
why should I want to quit alcohol?? op no wayyyyyyyy

I ain't reading no sh!!t goddamit!!!

3 Likes

Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by crackhaus: 3:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
Best thing to do to get over an addiction to alcohol? Get addicted to something else. Yes! Replace the urge for alcohol with the urge for something less destructive.
Truss me, I now worram talking about... Marijuana and Crack Coke nearly destroyed my life, thank God for alcohol..darris all I take now grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by moscobabs(m): 3:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
Op ..sey I borrow money from you to buy my Beers and Wines?becareful and face your own problem ..ok
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
I want to stop embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
God helep me o.

Decided to stick to only wines if at all I wanna drink.its not easy.
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
Thank God I don't drink cool
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by FoxyFlow(m): 3:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
crackhaus: Best thing to do to get over an addiction to alcohol? Get addicted to something else. Yes! Replace the urge for alcohol with the urge for something less destructive.
Truss me, I now worram talking about... Marijuana and Crack Coke nearly destroyed my life, thank God for alcohol..darris all I now take grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by FoxyFlow(m): 3:20pm On Sep 30, 2013
There is nothing as sweet as drinking a chilled 1759 after a hectic day.

Come to think of it, why would I wanna quit, after all, I'm not addicted

YET!!! angry angry
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by swhiss: 3:21pm On Sep 30, 2013
And Y should i quit??...@op Alcohol is a SOLUTION...confirm it from any chemist! cheesy
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 30, 2013
*sips beer* I'll comment after my 6th bottle

2 Likes

Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by bobthebuilder99(m): 3:22pm On Sep 30, 2013
Does Seun think we are drunkards? embarassed

2 Likes

Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by denony(m): 3:22pm On Sep 30, 2013
lynpetra: I want to stop embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
God helep me o.

Lynpetra dear, i can helep u quite the habit. u are too beautiful
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by crackhaus: 3:24pm On Sep 30, 2013
Foxy_Flow:

grin grin grin grin
grin you know it bawse!
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Rawpidgin(m): 3:25pm On Sep 30, 2013
Well, as long as u don't take it in excess u good to go
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Zukoslim(m): 3:26pm On Sep 30, 2013
spongeback: Thank God I don't drink cool
hmmmm wow..u neva told me dat b4,i guess u eat water?

1 Like

Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by demolaxy: 3:28pm On Sep 30, 2013
I Usually Drink But I Had To Google The Good And Bad Effects. The Bad Was Greater Than The Good. I gradually reduced my bottles until I stopped.

Now, I take just wine. It is better. Any Arguments About That?
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 30, 2013
Zukoslim:
hmmmm wow..u neva told me dat b4,i guess u eat water?
Yeah with chopsticks undecided
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Rawpidgin(m): 3:30pm On Sep 30, 2013
crackhaus: Best thing to do to get over an addiction to alcohol? Get addicted to something else. Yes! Replace the urge for alcohol with the urge for something less destructive.
Truss me, I now worram talking about... Marijuana and Crack Coke nearly destroyed my life, thank God for alcohol..darris all I take now grin grin grin
Going by ur name he clear say u still dey sniff white
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by DCAT: 3:30pm On Sep 30, 2013
@mega jay. get a life u don't know how many suicidal thought alcohol has averted.
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2013
denony:

Lynpetra dear, i can helep u quite the habit. u are too beautiful

#cleans her teary eyes
Ok,but can you buy me my last black label??I want to stop drinking by sealing it with a drink. embarassed embarassed
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Originalsly: 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2013
Copy and paste copy and paste...your opinion?...your observations?...your advice?
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by alfredo4u(m): 3:32pm On Sep 30, 2013
I need more so DAT ASUU strike will not frustrate me.

End time tin

Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by DoubleFaith(m): 3:37pm On Sep 30, 2013
Quite achievable with determination, displine and dedication.
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 30, 2013
any man wey no dey drink, no dey smoke, no dey chase woman, etc, that person is more dangerous than al-shabab.
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by bamosagie(m): 3:41pm On Sep 30, 2013
lynpetra:

#cleans her teary eyes
Ok,but can you buy me my last black label??I want to stop drinking by sealing it with a drink. embarassed embarassed

you are still on black label and you want to quit? nah just get a bottle or two of blue label...............
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by plainmirror(m): 3:45pm On Sep 30, 2013
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I
drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass
& think about the workers in the brewery and
all
of their hopes & dreams. If I didn't drink this
beer, they might be out of work & their dreams
would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is
better that I drink this beer & let their dreams
come true than to be selfish and worry about
my
liver. grin

4 Likes

Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by scaler345: 3:47pm On Sep 30, 2013
For wat nau?
Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by imperiouxx(m): 3:48pm On Sep 30, 2013
You forgot to add this: a daily dose of

2 Likes

Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by Arsenate(m): 3:48pm On Sep 30, 2013
Well, life without alcohol is boring, but you get to keep your health.

1 Like

Re: How To Escape Alcohol Addiction by skyscraperTM(m): 3:51pm On Sep 30, 2013
alcohol also has its benefits, don't you know that it increases one's iQ|

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Health Workers' Strike Paralyses Federal Hospital / Anyone Know Where I Can Buy Mosquito Nets? / Over 5,000 Nigerian Doctors In S/africa - Envoy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.