Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,720 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:48 AM

Alcohol Addiction - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Alcohol Addiction (10901 Views)

... / How To Escape Alcohol Addiction / How To Overcome Alcohol Addiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alcohol Addiction by oada: 7:10pm On May 11, 2011
Alcohol addiction is bad. It can ruin a man. It can send a man back to the village with nothing at all. My question now is, Is this a major problem in Nigeria? Do we really have alcoholics here as it is in the western countries?
Re: Alcohol Addiction by niceguy10: 8:42pm On May 11, 2011
Is just a very big problem on me, i have tried many times to stop but it have not been easy. I do like it drinking and smoking, i just cant help it.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Sissy3(f): 9:13pm On May 11, 2011
We do. just that some hardly know what it is called/know its symptoms or will simply not admit that they do have it
Re: Alcohol Addiction by agiboma(f): 6:37am On May 14, 2011
Alcoholism is a big problem in Nigeria but ppl are just not aware of the symptoms of the disease so their is no public awearness campagn's currently made to educate ppl on the dangers of this addiction. Even worse if someone is aware they have a problem their is nowhere to turn to get help.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 7:04am On May 14, 2011
My husband once wrote a book on Deadly Habits like Alcoholism. below is an excerpt:

ALCOHOLISM IS THE BIG BROTHER OF FORNICATION, ADULTERY AND OFCOURSE SMOKING.
THERE ARE THREE STEPS INTO THIS HYDRA-HEADED EVIL:

1. SOCIAL PHASE:
When a person begins to take 'a sip' from the glass. When he or she is pressurized in social garderings to take 'just' a small stout. When those '7% alcohol' wines are used for corporate events. Then you need to be very very careful. Truth is : It is so amazing how alcoholics try to convince non-alcoholics to take it at events. People at this stage are called 'Occassional Drinkers' or 'Social Drinkers'. The alcohol is still a slave to the drinker

2.REGULAR PHASE:
At this stage, the Social alcoholic begins to be more frequent with the bottle. When he is tensed up or angry, he 'washes' it down with wine. When Arsenal and Chelsea are playing march, a Regular drinker will be more comfortable holding a bottle,  to cool the nerves. This is a very long phase and Regular drinkers may remain at this phase for many years. At this stage being drunk is not unusual. A Regular Drinker lies and steals to feed his/her ever enlarging lust for the bottle. The alcohol has become the master of the drinker.

3. ACUTE PHASE:
This is the phase when the alcohol habit has started making the Drinker to have severe damages in health, relationships, spiritually etc. An Acute Drinker may have issues with his/her Kidney, Liver and any relevant organ. An acute drunkard can use the money for House rent to shark and forget his family. Only to be driven out by the landlord. I know a man like this on my street. He is almost a mad man by now. He almost killed his wife.

The phase you are in alcoholism determines how easy it is to pull out. For now, all I can say is that at every stage, with strong determination and God's grace and the right kind of external influence, you can break the addiction. If you are determined, then first keep yourself from anyone who is an addict. Have certain persons who HATE alcoholism watch over your exit process. Above all, go for councelling. Thanks.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by zstranger: 7:19am On May 14, 2011
^^^

Whats the title of your husband's book?
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Ikengawo: 7:27am On May 14, 2011
VERY big problem.

Nigerians are the most indulgent people in africa if not the world. We can make America look like Tibet when it comes to excess.

drinking is a HUGE problem in nigeria. I know so many full blown addicts that will never except the fact that it's a problem (stubborness and ignorance is what makes it an even worst problem cause it's victims are so stuck in their way and don't want another)
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 7:29am On May 14, 2011
BREAKING DEADLY HABITS
              'How to Help a Loved One break Unwanted Addiction'

3rd reprint will be out b4 Dec

zstranger:

^^^

Whats the title of your husband's book?
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Jenifa1: 7:36am On May 14, 2011
this is a good question. I grew up in a good christian home so I really am not exposed to alcoholism but it's a good question i'm also curious about.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by born2boink(m): 7:51am On May 14, 2011
Nigerians are superstar and I am not let out, grin
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Tasma: 8:00am On May 14, 2011
If you want to know how bad alcoholism is in Nigeria consider the fact that even two bottles of beer will put you over the legal limit for drinking and driving. Yet probably every drinker you know will have more than this in Nigeria - on a regular basis. Alcoholism is a massive problem in Nigeria and it goes largely untreated.

@enyojo drinking does not necessarily progress in that order. If that was the case everyone that has ever had a drink will end up becoming an alcoholic. There are people that only drink socially all there lifes and others that drink moderately - one or two bottles - all the time. Unfortunately there are also people whose drinking capacity escalates alarmingly.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by bookface: 8:48am On May 14, 2011
@Enyojo

I enjoy having drinks with friends in very social settings and many times, I enjoy just getting drunk for the sake of it!. . . .I only do this once in every blue moon and I have been doing this for the past 8 years.
There are months in a row when I don't drink alcohol nor get enticed by the idea of it, as a matter of fact, i just sort of forget about it unless an occasion calls for it.
When the occasion calls for it, i could drink like a fish and to stupor if i wanted to, but afterwards, i'd get back to my normal life and it could take another 9 months before touching another bottle.

what phase of "alcoholism" would you suggest I am?
Re: Alcohol Addiction by violent(m): 8:58am On May 14, 2011
. REGULAR PHASE:
At this stage, the Social alcoholic begins to be more frequent with the bottle. When he is tensed up or angry, he 'washes' it down with wine. When Arsenal and Chelsea are playing march, a Regular drinker will be more comfortable holding a bottle, to cool the nerves. This is a very long phase and Regular drinkers may remain at this phase for many years. At this stage being drunk is not unusual. A Regular Drinker lies and steals to feed his/her ever enlarging lust for the bottle. The alcohol has become the master of the drinker

Bullshyt!
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 9:08am On May 14, 2011
violent:

Bullshyt!

Did the line hit you that hard?
Re: Alcohol Addiction by violent(m): 9:10am On May 14, 2011
enyojo:

Did the line hit you that hard??

just my honest opinion
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 9:14am On May 14, 2011
bookface:

@Enyojo

I enjoy having drinks with friends in very social settings and many times, I enjoy just getting drunk for the sake of it!. . . .I only do this once in every blue moon and I have been doing this for the past 8 years.
There are months in a row when I don't drink alcohol nor get enticed by the idea of it, as a matter of fact, i just sort of forget about it unless an occasion calls for it.
When the occasion calls for it, i could drink like a fish and to stupor if i wanted to, but afterwards, i'd get back to my normal life and it could take another 9 months before touching another bottle.

what phase of "alcoholism" would you suggest I am?

I'm not an Expert on these things like I admitted. However from your description, you are sandwiched between the Social and the Regular phases. There is still time to get help before its too late. Remember that many people are going to hell for the sake of it.  cry cry
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 9:19am On May 14, 2011
Tasma:

@enyojo drinking does not necessarily progress in that order. If that was the case everyone that has ever had a drink will end up becoming an alcoholic. There are people that only drink socially all there lifes and others that drink moderately - one or two bottles - all the time. Unfortunately there are also people whose drinking capacity escalates alarmingly.

Everyone must not pass through that order. This is just the commonest order. It can be the other way round. It is not everyone that must pass thru all the phases. But the truth is that Alcohol is an Evil.

Re: Alcohol Addiction by Nobody: 9:23am On May 14, 2011
@Enyojo,
Hi,My name is Richvkunt ,I drink a minimum of three bottles of the ultimate beer every day.
At times on saturdays after a football match especially if my team wins,I go out and systematically get rip roaring drunk.(6-7 bottles)
I live in a well furnished flat,and I pay my rent in advance.
I drive a nice car.I dress well.
Ladies find me attractive,and I do my duty towards them.
On sundays I go to church and do my christian duty.(The only day I don't drink.)

Am I an alcoholic?
Do I need help?
Re: Alcohol Addiction by juman(m): 9:33am On May 14, 2011
Do we really have alcoholics here as it is in the western countries?

No, I don't think so. Our people don't have access to money like in the western countries.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 9:38am On May 14, 2011
Richvkunt:

@Enyojo,
Hi,My name is Richvkunt ,I drink a minimum of three bottles of the ultimate beer every day.
At times on saturdays after a football match especially if my team wins,I go out and systematically get rip roaring drunk.(6-7 bottles)
On sundays I go to church and do my christian duty.(The only day I don't drink.)

Am I an alcoholic?
Do I need help?

Sorry if I'm abit too froward. You need very urgent help than you can ever imagine.

You know why? I know a man who was exactly doing what you discribed. The man then decided to marry. So to get a decent wife 'who will take good care of my children', he refused to marry those Ladies they meet at joints. So having a measure of control over his habit, he decided to catch break for some time while he becomes more devoted to church activities in the bid to hook a 'serious christian Lady' (according to him).
Having yarns and the swaggs, he got a gullible and vulnerable devoted church girl.

After wedding, he resumed full-fledged drunkeness. Why your stage is dangerous is that, any time you give alcohol a break, on resumption, you may likely start from the Acute phase!

That was what happened to this man. He got so drunk one nyte, came back after midnight. Went into his 2 kids' room and beheaded them. Then hung himself before his wife could know.

That man may not be in heaven today. Evidently.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by violent(m): 9:41am On May 14, 2011
enyojo:

Everyone must not pass through that order. This is just the commonest order. It can be the other way round. It is not everyone that must pass thru all the phases. But the truth is that Alcohol is an Evil.

Alcohol is a thing dammit!!!!. Things are not evil.  A gun is a thing, a gun is not evil.  It's usually the purpose to which that thing is put, that's what you'd call evil.  
I drink alcohol. Love a glass of fine wine with a good dinner. Do I drive after I drink?. . . . . nope.
Have I ever caused an accident after drinking?. . . . . . nope.
Do I drink glass after glass just to get drunk?. . . . . .nope.
Do I abuse my body with artificial highs?. . . . nope.
Its not alcohol that causes the problems, it's the people who don't respect themselves, respect their bodies and minds that cause the problems.

P.S.  Alcohol will not take you to hell, people should really stop saying rubbish, yeast fermentation produces alcohol that is used in bread, eating bread {thus consuming alcohol} does not make you a sinner, and since neither the bible nor the koran provide guidance on just how much is too much, we can only assume that God doesn't really care about how much of it you take.

As a matter of fact, Red wine is good for your health, containing antioxidants and resveratol. Logically speaking, it makes more sense to encourage individuals to more drink red wine than several other dietary choices.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by enyojo(f): 9:42am On May 14, 2011
^ U can as well say gun doesnt take away peoples lives
Re: Alcohol Addiction by cold(m): 9:43am On May 14, 2011
Tasma:

If you want to know how bad alcoholism is in Nigeria consider the fact that even two bottles of beer will put you over the legal limit for drinking and driving. Yet probably every drinker you know will have more than this in Nigeria - on a regular basis. Alcoholism is a massive problem in Nigeria and it goes largely untreated.

That is so not true.
There is no foolproof way of drinking and staying under the limit. The amount of alcohol you would need to drink to be considered drink driving varies from person to person. It depends on:

Your weight
Your gender (men tend to process alcohol faster than women)
Your metabolism
Your current stress levels
Whether you’ve eaten recently
Age (younger people tend to process alcohol more slowly)

If you want to make a point you can simply say it's safe to avoid any kind of alcohol if you must drive & stop spreading falsehood
Re: Alcohol Addiction by violent(m): 9:47am On May 14, 2011
enyojo:

^ U can as well say gun doesnt take away peoples lives

so a gun is evil? how then shall we hunt our deers?

does the fact that people stab others with knives make knives evil as well?
Re: Alcohol Addiction by cold(m): 9:50am On May 14, 2011
@Enyojo,guns don't kill people;People kill people
Re: Alcohol Addiction by MMM2(m): 9:52am On May 14, 2011
alcohol is good 4 life,
so drink 2 stay alive.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by iz2much: 10:07am On May 14, 2011
i love liquor i cant help it

preach 4rm now till Jesus come. liquor in my hand. cigarette in my mouth
Re: Alcohol Addiction by bidemi12(m): 10:09am On May 14, 2011
Unfortunately there is no way to know if nigerians are addicts to alcohol since there is no way to measure it in nigeria. i think i read in one of the posts here that 2 bottles of beer will most likely take you over the limit in naija but considering the size of a bottle compared to the one's in the US, you will be definetly get a DUI if caught driving with more than a bottle intake. one average bottle in naija is about 2.5 over here in the US. To make matters worse i dont think the law clamps down on excessive drinking in nigeria while over here you are finished if you are drunk while in public or get behind a wheel while under the influence. If you ever want to drink socialy you are advised to have a designated driver with you. sometimes when i look back at my life in naija i believe i must have been crazy to take the risks i took. Boys will go to a party or club, down bottles upon bottles and still drive home. i shudder at the memory. No way can that crap happen over here. Driving under the influence is considered the same thing as walking around pointing a loaded gun at people because it can go of at anytime. you life is pretty much over if caught, because the crime stays on your record and every potential employer has access to it. I heard da grin was under the influence when his car crashed, imagine if people were around the vicinity when it happened? Not just alcohol addiction but alcohol intake in general is a massive problem in nigeria.
Re: Alcohol Addiction by Texther(m): 10:26am On May 14, 2011
[quote][/quote]Hi,My name is Richvkunt ,I drink a minimum of three bottles of the ultimate beer every day.

Am I an alcoholic?
Do I need help?

U dont need help, all u need is a proper BURIAL ARRANGEMENT!!!!
Re: Alcohol Addiction by blackpanda: 10:30am On May 14, 2011
i dont really think its a big problem in nigeria. unlike in other countries, like south africa or in the west!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can Semen Cause Pregnancy? / Medical Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Wednesday / Help With Cost Of Fibroid Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.