Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,142 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

What Are The Dangers Involved In Doubling Head Gaskets - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Dangers Involved In Doubling Head Gaskets (11301 Views)

Couple Returning From A Night Club Involved In A Fatal Accident(Graphic Photos / I Was Involved In An Accident Along Suleja-minna road. Viewer discretion advised / What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Dangers Involved In Doubling Head Gaskets by me2me: 11:08am On Sep 29, 2013
Hello house,
I recently gathered that the popular style of doubling gaskets by our mechanics lead to loss of compression in the engine which affects its performance or something like that. Can someone please shed light on this?
Re: What Are The Dangers Involved In Doubling Head Gaskets by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 29, 2013
me2me: Hello house,
I recently gathered that the popular style of doubling gaskets by our mechanics lead to loss of compression in the engine which affects its performance or something like that. Can someone please shed light on this?

Stacking head gaskets places the cylinder head further from the pistons, which will obviously lower compression slightly. Lower compression makes the engine less efficient and affects performance marginally. BUT, lower compression means the engine will tolerate lower octane gas better, with less chance of detonation (pinging).

Stacking head gaskets is not common practice in naturally aspirated engines. With turbocharged ones (especially if the cylinder head has been skimmed) it is beneficial to run stacked head gaskets, to lower compression, and allow more boost pressure from the turbo to be run safely. These headgaskets are usually steel laminates, meaning a second gasket can have perhaps 2 thin sheets added to a full gasket.

Definitely stacking head gaskets in a diesel engine, with its high compression (17:1 - 23:1) is a recipe for disaster. Even metal laminates will distort under compression, and blow. There are actually thicker headgaskets for diesel engines that have had the cylinder heads skimmed.

Stacking the regular paper headgaskets is bad practice. These non-metal laminate gaskets won't seal properly against each other, and will blow in no time.

It woud be interesting to know why some Nigerian mechanics double up headgaskets.

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Dangers Involved In Doubling Head Gaskets by me2me: 12:30pm On Sep 29, 2013
Quite Interesting, especially regarding the stacking of regular paper head gaskets by our mechanics..thanks Siena.
Re: What Are The Dangers Involved In Doubling Head Gaskets by me2me: 1:36pm On Feb 27, 2015
its still the rage here
Re: What Are The Dangers Involved In Doubling Head Gaskets by Readonee35L(m): 7:45pm On Feb 27, 2015
I used too have a mitsubishi Space wagon . I think a 2.4Gl Manual Tranny
A time came when it started snapping timing belts
Like 4 times
The 1st two times. No damage
3rd tiMe bent valves wch caused lotta money too fix
We checked so many factors that could cause d ish , even replaced one pulley
Then it happened again
Bent valves
Argh
Mech advised to double the gasket so if it snaps no harm wil be done ...
I never had an idea
I told him to do it, and some adjustment were made on d belts wch made a lot of diff , it didn't cut anymore till it was sold
...I didn't notice a change in performance tho

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Dangers Involved In Doubling Head Gaskets by Eburnian: 12:21pm On Oct 17, 2023
Readonee35L:
I used too have a mitsubishi Space wagon . I think a 2.4Gl Manual Tranny
A time came when it started snapping timing belts
Like 4 times
The 1st two times. No damage
3rd tiMe bent valves wch caused lotta money too fix
We checked so many factors that could cause d ish , even replaced one pulley
Then it happened again
Bent valves
Argh
Mech advised to double the gasket so if it snaps no harm wil be done ...
I never had an idea
I told him to do it, and some adjustment were made on d belts wch made a lot of diff , it didn't cut anymore till it was sold
...I didn't notice a change in performance tho

God bless. Doubling gasket saves valve bending especially in cars using belt in place of chain, the loss of power is very minimal and not even that noticeable.

(1) (Reply)

Interpretation Of Obdii Scan Results And Related Issues / Sachi Motorsport Audi A8 D3 4.2 Quattro Sport, Family Cruiser, V8 Content! / Innocent Chukwuma Shares His Views On Nigeria's Manufacturing Sector With TVC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.