Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,978 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) (2659 Views)

He Took Holy Communion And Had Sex After Church, Any Repercusion? / Christians Must Choose Between Apostle Paul And Jesus Christ - Femi Aribisala / New Way Of Receiving Holy Communion Due To Ebola Virus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by SalC: 5:09pm On Sep 29, 2013
Sometimes I do think Paul's admonition on the holy communion is in direct contrast to the words of Jesus Christ at the last super.

In Matt 26 V 26-28 the scripture says....
And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and break it, and gave it to the disciple, and said, Take, eat, this is my body.
27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
The words of Christ seem to say " this my body and blood which I give you today is meant to take away your sins.

On the other hand, apostle paul wrote in 1cor 11 v27-30...
Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread and drink of that cup.
29 For him that eateth and drinketh unworthyily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
Now if Holy Communion was for the remission sin, why must one examine himself before receiving it, or incur sickness for receiving it unworthily.
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by italo: 8:40am On Oct 07, 2013
One simple thing I can say is: The Sacraments AND Sacramentals are not magic charms as is used by sorcerers and magicians.

All the sacraments work in unison with our state of mind and spirit.

The Bible tells us that baptism saves us, but to receive the sacrament knowingly when you dont believe is a mockery and sacrilege.

Same goes for all the other sacraments: reconciliation, eucharist, matrimony, confirmation, holy orders, anointing.

Or should we believe that one who goes to confession will be absolved just because Christ said "he whose sins you forgive are forgiven" - without the person being sorry for his sins?

Should we believe that a couple have been joined in matrimony simply because Christ said "what God has joined..." - when one or both of the couple do not actually want to be married to the other?

These are sacrilegious!

Same too, when you havent examined yourself before going to communion.

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by italo: 9:29am On Oct 07, 2013
Also, I came across this online:

Receiving Christ in the Eucharist forgives venial sins. The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains, "As bodily nourishment restores lost strength, so the Eucharist strengthens our charity, which tends to be weakened in daily life; and this living charity wipes away venial sins" (CCC 1394).

However, the reception of the Eucharist does not forgive mortal sins, so a person who is conscious of mortal sin must go to confession before receiving communion.

The Code of Canon Law states...

A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to . . . receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible. (CIC 916)

When a person conscious of mortal sin receives the Eucharist without prior forgiveness he commits another mortal sin and only compounds his desperate situation. Paul tells us, "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord" (1 Cor. 11:27). The Church calls this sacrilege:

Sacrilege consists in profaning or treating unworthily the sacraments and other liturgical actions, as well as persons, things, or places consecrated to God. Sacrilege is a grave sin especially when committed against the Eucharist, for in this sacrament the true Body of Christ is
made substantially present for us. (CCC 2120)
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by SalC: 10:01am On Oct 07, 2013
italo: Also, I came across this online:

Receiving Christ in the Eucharist forgives venial sins. The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains, "As bodily nourishment restores lost strength, so the Eucharist strengthens our charity, which tends to be weakened in daily life; and this living charity wipes away venial sins" (CCC 1394).

However, the reception of the Eucharist does not forgive mortal sins, so a person who is conscious of mortal sin must go to confession before receiving communion.

The Code of Canon Law states...

A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to . . . receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible. (CIC 916)

When a person conscious of mortal sin receives the Eucharist without prior forgiveness he commits another mortal sin and only compounds his desperate situation. Paul tells us, "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord" (1 Cor. 11:27). The Church calls this sacrilege:

Sacrilege consists in profaning or treating unworthily the sacraments and other liturgical actions, as well as persons, things, or places consecrated to God. Sacrilege is a grave sin especially when committed against the Eucharist, for in this sacrament the true Body of Christ is
made substantially present for us. (CCC 2120)
This is exactly what a Rev brother taught us some years ago and exactly what I've been looking for all this along.
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by italo: 10:05am On Oct 07, 2013
Sal C: This is exactly what a Rev brother taught us some years ago and exactly what I've been looking for all this along.

Well, I found it on catholic.com

It's a very helpful website in answering questions on Catholicism.

Of course, it's not the only one. There are many.
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by SalC: 10:08am On Oct 07, 2013
italo:

Well, I found it on catholic.com

It's a very helpful website in answering questions on Catholicism.

Of course, it's not the only one. There are many.
Thanks so much. Can you post the link to the website here.
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by italo: 10:12am On Oct 07, 2013
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by SalC: 10:16am On Oct 07, 2013
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by italo: 10:38am On Oct 07, 2013
You too.
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by MrAladin: 9:03pm On Oct 07, 2013
God bless the Catholic Church.....

1 Like

Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by SalC: 9:43pm On Oct 07, 2013
Mr. Aladin:
God bless the Catholic Church.....
Bless you too.

Still waiting for your contribution.
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by Ubenedictus(m): 9:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
Sal C: Sometimes I do think Paul's admonition on the holy communion is in direct contrast to the words of Jesus Christ at the last super.

And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and break it, and gave it to the disciple, and said, Take, eat, this is my body.
27 And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
The words of Christ seem to say " this my body and blood which I give you today is meant to take away your sins.

Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread and drink of that cup.
29 For him that eateth and drinketh unworthyily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
Now if Holy Communion was for the remission sin, why must one examine himself before receiving it, or incur sickness for receiving it unworthily.
don't confuse it, the sheding of blood that seals the new convenant and remit sins of many isn't in the upper room but in calvary. Jesus was saying this blood is the same as that which seals the convenant and remit sins, he wasn't saying he was giving them the blood so that receiving unworthyly they will be purified.
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by SalC: 1:54pm On Oct 09, 2013
Ubenedictus: don't confuse it, the sheding of blood that seals the new convenant and remit sins of many isn't in the upper room but in calvary. Jesus was saying this blood is the same as that which seals the convenant and remit sins, he wasn't saying he was giving them the blood so that receiving unworthyly they will be purified.
That is to say, the last supper was pointing to his calvary sacrifice?
Likewise the body and blood of Christ which we receive today points to thesame.
What do you have to say about the reception of the body and blood of Christ taking away venial sins?.
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by MrAladin: 7:58pm On Oct 09, 2013
Sal C:
The words of Christ seem to say " this my body and blood which I give you today is meant to take a way ur sins

bro This is Before The Death of Christ...
Christ said this on his last supper B4 he was crucified on the cross of calvary.
He said that whosoever that eat his body n drink his blood shall have everlasting life....
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by MrAladin: 8:05pm On Oct 09, 2013
Sal C:
and this is after the death of christ..

Now st. Paul is telling us that Anyone who receive christ unworthily is receiving judgement to himself.

The difference Between this Two Book is before and after the death of christ...

I have told my parish priest and he has promised to explain it beta to me.
When he does i'w pass it to u
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by SalC: 3:12pm On Oct 10, 2013
Mr. Aladin:

bro This is Before The Death of Christ...
Christ said this on his last supper B4 he was crucified on the cross of calvary.
He said that whosoever that eat his body n drink his blood shall have everlasting life....

Yes
Re: On The Holy Communion ( Between Paul And Jesus Christ) by SalC: 3:13pm On Oct 10, 2013
Mr. Aladin:

and this is after the death of christ..

Now st. Paul is telling us that Anyone who receive christ unworthily is receiving judgement to himself.

The difference Between this Two Book is before and after the death of christ...

I have told my parish priest and he has promised to explain it beta to me.
When he does i'w pass it to u
Ok. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor / Why Are Muslims Ashamed Of How Muhammad Died? / Is Giving To Ur Parents "Sowing To The Flesh?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.