Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,879 members, 7,810,360 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:42 AM

Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor (2660 Views)

She Wants Me To Leave Catholic Church Before She Can Marry Me / Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – / Man Posts Bottle Of Beer And Bible Verse To Justify His Drink (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by Wesporting: 4:10pm On Feb 16, 2018
Christian Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Rev Vincent Mulwa

Rev Vincent Mulwa, a theologian and G.O of Christ Pilgrim Restoration Centre, Kenya, has come out to challenge the widely-held Christian doctrine that men should only marry one wife.

In an interview with Kenya’s The Daily Nation, Rev. Mulwa said Africans bought the world views of European missionaries who brought Christianity into Africa and abandoned polygamy, a practice that was rife even among the people who lived during biblical times.

Rev Mulwa said he wants Christian leaders to review teachings on monogamous marriages, claiming there is no verse in the Bible supporting it.

He says this is necessary to “save a generation of women who are ageing in church without husbands”.

Rev Mulwa added;
“I have been in the ministry for 38 years, preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ but now I have realised that we ministers of the gospel have lost our believers,”

“I have never seen anywhere in the Bible where prophets and preachers prayed for single ladies to get married. The Bible people were polygamous and everyone had a husband,” he says, adding that widows were allowed to become concubines.

He says polygamy was commonly practised by many African traditional communities and the Jewish culture was also polygamous, adding that it only began to fade with the introduction of Christianity.

“As far as the Bible is concerned, the number of wives or concubines that one has does not matter and is not a standard of holiness. I have come out to tell Christians that we must preach the true gospel and allow our men in the church to marry as many wives as they want. Polygamy is not about men needing many wives but it’s about women needing husbands.”

According to the cleric, the Bible has only come out strongly to condemn adultery, which is taking another man’s wife.

The reverend argues that the fact that the missionaries, who mostly came from Rome, began to preach monogamy does not mean that this is what the Bible teaches.

“It is unfortunate for the Church that today, when our dear brothers and sisters attend theological schools, they are fed with so much gentile-tilted theology that upon graduation, they are well equipped to vigorously convince the world to buy into the Roman immigration of Christianity,”

He says Christianity is not an American or European culture. Rather, it is God’s way of reaching and dealing with humankind.

Rev Mulwa, who says he is officially married to one wife, says he was preaching in a church he started 20 years ago but had to leave the church because his wife and members disagreed with his polygamy teaching.

“I told my wife that as much as she doesn’t want to agree with me, I will continue preaching the gospel of polygamy until the whole world hears of it because that is the true gospel,” he says.

When asked if he has secret wives he responded:

“The number of wives I have is not an issue. If I have one wife or more, I will not be holier than the other. That’s why I am saying Christian men should be allowed to marry many wives.”

His interpretation of the Bible is that it has not condemned polygamy. Rather, it was practised widely by men of God in the Bible.

“Polygamy is an acceptable practice. No lady should stay without a husband. Christianity remains the most holy faith, but when preached from the perspective of the European and American gentiles, then it is definitely the filthiest religion on earth.”

He gives the example of some of the men in the Bible like Abraham and David who married more than one wife and had concubines with whom they got children.

“The holiness was in how these men dealt with their many wives and concubines and God had no problem with them,” he says.

The reverend says it is wrong to imagine that God would have created two wives for Adam as “God created them so that they may fill the world”

He noted that in the Bible, some women seemed to have been in a complex situation such that remarrying was out of thought. They ended up being concubines.

But even for concubines, there was discipline, he says, and a man found with another man’s concubine was to be beaten.

Source: http://mandynews.com/2018/02/16/men-can-marry-more-than-one-wife-rev-vincent-mulwa/

1 Like

Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by madridguy(m): 4:12pm On Feb 16, 2018
shocked
Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by DWJOBScom(m): 4:12pm On Feb 16, 2018
Sick minds making mockery of Christianity

and they always end up the same way - extra confused!
Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by IamPatriotic(m): 4:15pm On Feb 16, 2018
I won't waste my time reading the rush rubbish he said, all I know is that the man he he's an endtime pastor, period!
Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by thorpido(m): 4:21pm On Feb 16, 2018
People who are after their bellies as the scripture says.
Polyga.ous men and women can fill his business centre church.
Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by femijay8271(m): 4:30pm On Feb 16, 2018
Well, he's right in a sense that Solomon marries many wives in d bible And NOTHING HAPPENS & d Holy Quran didn't stop d Muslim believer not to but I believed it's indicated IN D Holy book that u MUST, i repeat again, U MUST LOVE ALL OF THEM EQUALLY but that shiit is impossible. And again its written that there's gonna b more women than men abi d tin DON dey even happen self.
Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by DanseMacabre(m): 4:40pm On Feb 16, 2018
All you guys above insulting the poor pastor, how hard is it to bring out bible passages to refute what the man said

2 Likes

Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by DanseMacabre(m): 4:43pm On Feb 16, 2018
IamPatriotic:
I won't waste my time reading the rush he said, all I know is that the man he an endtime pastor, period!

Because you're in a hurry to comment abi?
Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by prinzfavian(m): 6:41pm On Feb 16, 2018
DanseMacabre:
All you guys above insulting the poor pastor, how hard is it to bring out bible passages to refute what the man said
Though, I'm not insulting him.... Just want to show you one of the Bible passages that refutes the man's claim...
1 timothy 3:2

KJV:A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of ONE wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

ESV:Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of ONE wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

NIV:Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his WIFE (not wives) , temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

AMP:Now a bishop (superintendent, overseer) must give no grounds for accusation but must be above reproach, the husband of ONE wife, circumspect and temperate and self-controlled; [he must be] sensible and well behaved and dignified and lead an orderly (disciplined) life; [he must be] hospitable [showing love for and being a friend to the believers, especially strangers or foreigners, and be] a capable and qualified teacher,

Thanks.
Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by emmyforeal(m): 9:14pm On Feb 16, 2018
prinzfavian:

Though, I'm not insulting him.... Just want to show you one of the Bible passages that refutes the man's claim...

KJV:A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of ONE wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

ESV:Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of ONE wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

NIV:Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his WIFE (not wives) , temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

AMP:Now a bishop (superintendent, overseer) must give no grounds for accusation but must be above reproach, the husband of ONE wife, circumspect and temperate and self-controlled; [he must be] sensible and well behaved and dignified and lead an orderly (disciplined) life; [he must be] hospitable [showing love for and being a friend to the believers, especially strangers or foreigners, and be] a capable and qualified teacher,

Thanks.

This bible verse is applicable ONLY to men of God(Bishops , Pastors, Overseer etc)

1 Like

Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by Meti99(m): 9:24pm On Feb 16, 2018
hdhsh
Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by DanseMacabre(m): 11:27pm On Feb 16, 2018
prinzfavian:

AMP:Now a bishop (superintendent, overseer) must give no grounds for accusation but must be above reproach, the husband of ONE wife...

Bishop, overseer, superintendent, etc. I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by prinzfavian(m): 11:42pm On Feb 16, 2018
emmyforeal:

This bible verse is applicable ONLY to men of God(Bishops , Pastors, Overseer etc)
Oh! Really?
Okay, what about this:
Genesis 2:24

KJV:Therefore shall A MAN leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

ESV:Therefore A MAN shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

NIV:That is why A MAN leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

AMP:Therefore A MAN shall leave his father and his mother and shall become united and cleave to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

In fact, Ephesians 5:31 explains the above scripture better saying:

KJV:For this cause shall A MAN leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they TWO(not 3,4 or 5) shall be one flesh.

ESV:“Therefore A MAN shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the TWO shall become one flesh.”

NIV:“For this reason A MAN will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the TWO will become one flesh.”

AMP:For this reason A MAN shall leave his father and his mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the TWO shall become one flesh.

Thanks.
Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by Lirqur: 11:59pm On Feb 16, 2018
He is Actually correct, any one who understands the bible well will see Sharia law in it sef.

1 Like

Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by majorgr: 2:05am On Feb 17, 2018
emmyforeal:

no it is not, because the bible also said he has made us that is all born again xtains king and priest... the priest is also the function of the bishop.. it equates to every body...
Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by emmyforeal(m): 8:50pm On Feb 18, 2018
prinzfavian:

Oh! Really?
Okay, what about this:
Genesis 2:24

KJV:Therefore shall A MAN leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

ESV:Therefore A MAN shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

NIV:That is why A MAN leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

AMP:Therefore A MAN shall leave his father and his mother and shall become united and cleave to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

In fact, Ephesians 5:31 explains the above scripture better saying:

KJV:For this cause shall A MAN leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they TWO(not 3,4 or 5) shall be one flesh.

ESV:“Therefore A MAN shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the TWO shall become one flesh.”

NIV:“For this reason A MAN will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the TWO will become one flesh.”

AMP:For this reason A MAN shall leave his father and his mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the TWO shall become one flesh.

Thanks.

The bible verse you quoted earlier talked about Men of God only. But the quoted helped to buttress your argument.

I need to ask this :
Does it mean that the Prophets or Anointed servants of God that married more than one wife in the bible wronged God?

If yes, is there a record of God scolding them or any other person in the bible for polygamy?

Kindly enlighten me, i no too sabi bible. No vex

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Men Can Marry More Than One Wife, No Bible Verse Is Against Polygamy – Pastor by CandidSeeker(m): 1:52am On Feb 19, 2018
God didn't condemn polygamy.

Abraham (righteous friend of God) had other women aside Sarah & Haggar:

Genesis 25:1, 6 NKJV
Abraham again took a wife, and her name was Keturah.

[6] But Abraham gave gifts to the sons of the concubines which Abraham had; and while he was still living he sent them eastward, away from Isaac his son, to the country of the east.

Jacob had four wives:
Leah, Rachael, Bilha & Zilpha -Gen.35:23-27

Jewish Law:

Deuteronomy 21:15-17 NKJV
"If a man has two wives, one loved and the other unloved, and they have borne him children, both the loved and the unloved, and if the firstborn son is of her who is unloved,
[16] then it shall be, on the day he bequeaths his possessions to his sons, that he must not bestow firstborn status on the son of the loved wife in preference to the son of the unloved, the true firstborn.
[17] But he shall acknowledge the son of the unloved wife as the firstborn by giving him a double portion of all that he has, for he is the beginning of his strength; the right of the firstborn is his.

Exodus 21:10 NKJV
If he takes another wife, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, and her marriage rights.

God didn't condemn David for taking other wives except Batsheva (who even ended up giving birth to Solomon):

1 Kings 15:5 NKJV
because David did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the matter of Uriah the Hittite.

2 Samuel 12:8 NKJV
I gave you your master's house and your master's wives into your keeping, and gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if that had been too little, I also would have given you much more!

Gideon (choice judge):
Judges 8:30-31 NKJV
Gideon had seventy sons who were his own offspring, for he had many wives. [31] And his concubine who was in Shechem also bore him a son, whose name he called Abimelech.

Isaiah 4:1 NKJV
And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, "We will eat our own food and wear our own apparel; Only let us be called by your name, To take away our reproach."

There's now only one & new commandment:

John 13:34 NKJV
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

(1) (Reply)

160 Reasons Why Jesus Christ Is God Almighty, What Satanists Don't Want You To K / G.o Adeboye's 2011 Predictions: What Is Your Take? / The Atheist And His Atheism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.