Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,964 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

A Message To Nigerians As We Celeberate Our 53rd Indepence Day. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / A Message To Nigerians As We Celeberate Our 53rd Indepence Day. (1567 Views)

Google.ng Celebrates Nigeria's 53rd Independence With A Doodle / National Association Of Unemployed Graduate 53RD INDEPENDENCE Message by The N.C / Is Nigeria's 53rd Independence Worth Celebrating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Message To Nigerians As We Celeberate Our 53rd Indepence Day. by HezronLorraine(m): 1:12am On Oct 01, 2013
First,I'd like to wish every Nigerian home and abroad.Happy 53rd Independence Anniversary.

In this Season,it's a time for us to ask ourselves some questions about the Nigeria of today and the Nigeria whose Freedom was fought for by our Founding Fathers.Great men like:

Herbert Macaulay (1864–1946),

Professor Eyo Ita (1904-1980s ),

Alvan Ikoku (1900–1971),

Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe (1904–1996),

Chief Obafemi Awolowo (1909–1987), Sir

Ahmadu Bello (1910–1966), Sir

Abubakar Tafawa Balewa (1912–1966), Sir

Egbert Udo Udoma (1917-1998),

General Murtala Mohammed (1938–1976),

Al-Haji Aminu Kano (1920–1983),

Joseph Tarka (1932–1980)

Dennis Osadebay (1911–1994) are considered
founding fathers of Nigeria.

Let's not forget the struggles of Obafemi
Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikiwe, and Ahmadu Bello of how they negotiated Nigeria's independence from Britain,aided by such figures as Chieftess Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti.

Many other Heroes who we may not remember to give recognition.We celeberate 53 years of Independence,about celeberating 100 years of Amalgamation.Thanks to Lord Fredrick Luggard who brought each region together under one umbrella to stand as a nation.To Lady Luggard who founded the name of this great nation from the River Niger.

To Michael Taiwo Akinwunmi for designing the Nigerian Flag which we are all proud of cause of its interpretation reads-the two unique sea-green bands represent the forests and abundant natural wealth of Nigeria while the white bandrepresents peace.

The Nigerian Coat of Arms.

Let's remind ourselves.The black shield represents the fertile soil of Nigeria.
The white wavy bands that form a letter “Y”
represent the country’s main inland waterways, the
rivers Niger and Benue (which both meet to form a
confluence at Lokoja). The two horses at either side
of the shield represent the dignity and pride of
Nigeria. The yellow flowers at the base are Coctus
spectabilis, a type of flower that is found in all parts
of the country. The eagle represents the pride of
Nigeria while the green and white wreath on which
the eagle stands represents the rich agricultural
potential of Nigeria. The national motto, “Unity and
Faith, Peace and Progress”, is written onthe band
around the base. This motto was adopted in 1978.
Before that time, the country’s motto was “Peace,
Unity, Freedom” is written on.

The Nigerian Anthem which was adopted in 1978.

stanza 1:
Arise, O compatriots,
Nigeria's call obey
To serve our Fatherland
With love and strength and faith.
The labor of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain,
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and
unity.
stanza 2: O God of creation
Direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youth the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace
And justice shall reign.

The National pledge:

I pledge to Nigeria my country,
To be faithful, loyal and honest,
To serve Nigeria with all my strength,
To defend her unity,
And uphold her honor and glory,
So help me God.

I just feel it is important to remind us of every symbolic attachment to Nigeria.Nigeria as always been a great nation.We do not have things perfect cause we are praying the price for it with our struggles and sweats to honour the travails of past heroes so as not to be in vain.

Let's look beyond the challenges we face today and hold unto the joy and beauty of what is still yet to come.As we do,we need to ask ourselves a question:
Are we there Yet?

Take a closer look at our age at 53 we are still struggling to build a society the world will marvel and bow down to.We are still struggling against the waves and heat of terrorism,we at the age still struggling with basic economic,social and political position.At this age,chasing corruption with stones instead of brooms so it doesn't fly away then come back to sit on our fences.

What exactly should be the achievements of a 53year old man?
At this age,he should be able to boast of his success in life,He worked his early days to see a glorified future.He can boast of his family,wife,children and granchildren living in perfect health and wealth.He at his age is a Happy man with a fulfilled Life.

Liking this to the State of Nigeria.Can we boast of anything but failure and failed promises.

Can we say we are in good health.of course not,especially not when a group of armed extremist militants can decide to kill 50 harmless students unprovoked.

Are we Fulfilled?No.There used to be a time when we had a robust economy that was envy of the world.The Groundnut Pyramids,gone.or the Oil boom.The time when Nigerian Academies was top of the game with our universities making list of top best institutions in the world.Today they hardly make it as top best on the continent.

Highlighting the many challenges of this great country is of no good encouragement other than providing the solutions or inspiring the next giant step to take.

To the entire Nigerian Public let's remind ourselves of where we are now and where we are going.Let's join hands together to stop questioning ourselves with challenges of the present but plan our tommorow.To make that Future delivered not on failed promises.Let's Celebrate and Once again.Shake off the dust and enter a new chapter of Strength,Vision and purpose.Let's not celeberate our under-achievememt.Let's promote our Development and retain the position as the Giant of Africa.

Happy Independence Day.Let's live in peace,love and unity.

1 Like

Re: A Message To Nigerians As We Celeberate Our 53rd Indepence Day. by Gudintent: 6:29am On Oct 01, 2013
^^^ lovely article

Happy Independence Day Nigeria!
Re: A Message To Nigerians As We Celeberate Our 53rd Indepence Day. by Kenneth205(m): 6:39am On Oct 01, 2013
Nice One Bro..., www..Com
Re: A Message To Nigerians As We Celeberate Our 53rd Indepence Day. by HezronLorraine(m): 6:45am On Oct 01, 2013
^^
Thanks A lot.
Re: A Message To Nigerians As We Celeberate Our 53rd Indepence Day. by yemi2plus(m): 7:38am On Oct 01, 2013
A Poem For Nigeria

I sat here and watched,
As a child grown into a lady,
Many suitors now approach her,
I remembered and I smiled,
I laughed and I cried,
As she celebrated again.

Happy 53 birthday Nigeria.
Re: A Message To Nigerians As We Celeberate Our 53rd Indepence Day. by Yooguyz: 7:59am On Oct 01, 2013
Great article

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Checkout The Rocket Proof Car Of Russian President Vladimir Putin / #100 Note: Which One Did You Perfer, Old Or New? / Why Do We Easily Misplace Our Handkerchief?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.