Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

Edo Folks And Markings On The Stomach - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Edo Folks And Markings On The Stomach (7454 Views)

Iwu: The Body Markings Of The Edo People. / How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? / Tribal Markings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Folks And Markings On The Stomach by Infomizer(m): 10:44pm On Oct 01, 2013
I recently came across some markings on the belly of a mature lady from Edo state and upon questioning her and a few of my Edo friends, I learnt that it was to drain of ‘bad blood’ caused by a killer disease that affects infants. She was apparently given the marks as a kid. I have forgotten the name they gave the illness but I had a couple of questions that my friends failed to answer. Why is this disease predominant in that part of the country? What is the technical nomenclature for the disease? What other cures are out there for such an infant killer of a disease? I need some serious orientation here folks (and I guess my Edo friends too need some). Please enlighten a bro!
Re: Edo Folks And Markings On The Stomach by Agbgift(f): 12:05am On Oct 02, 2013
The sickness is called 'Ude' (spleen sickness). Like your friends told you, the markings is to remove bad blood. It is not a common disease. I don't know what causes it, Its can be treated medically by doctors. You don't have to necessarily mark the tummy. Most tribes don't mark. However some people believes that marking it makes it heals faster. Those who mark are the Esan and few of the benin.

1 Like

Re: Edo Folks And Markings On The Stomach by Infomizer(m): 12:39am On Oct 02, 2013
Thanks a lot! You have reduced my level of ignorance by a tad.
Agbgift: The sickness is called 'Ude' (spleen sickness). Like your friends told you, the markings is to remove bad blood. It is not a common disease. I don't know what causes it, Its can be treated medically by doctors. You don't have to necessarily mark the tummy. Most tribes don't mark. However some people believes that marking it makes it heals faster. Those who mark are the Esan and few of the benin.
Re: Edo Folks And Markings On The Stomach by AreaFada2: 12:58am On Apr 16, 2018
Agbgift:
The sickness is called 'Ude' (spleen sickness). Like your friends told you, the markings is to remove bad blood. It is not a common disease. I don't know what causes it, Its can be treated medically by doctors. You don't have to necessarily mark the tummy. Most tribes don't mark. However some people believes that marking it makes it heals faster. Those who mark are the Esan and few of the benin.

I know post is old. But the most likely cause is malaria. Spleen may become enlarged (splenomegaly) trying to mop up red blood cells broken down by malaria parasites/plasmodium.

Some also report "ude" as affecting both sides/flanks. This is likely to be due to both spleen & liver enlargement called hepatosplenomegaly.
Aside malaria, other viral/parasitic infections, liver cirrhosis, leukaemia, chemotherapy drugs, etc. In sickle cell disease it can be potentially dangerous as the spleen sequesters red blood cells.

I was just discussing this "ude" with someone earlier today. Apparently some people still believe "bleeding bad blood" away is the cure. Problem is bleeding someone that is already anaemic due to malaria or chronic disease is a very bad idea indeed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Folks And Markings On The Stomach by Owamema(f): 8:50pm On Apr 21, 2018
Its called ude but most people don't mark again science has made it easier unlike when we were born then.... I also have the mark sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Folks And Markings On The Stomach by andsboy29: 1:38pm On Jan 26
AreaFada2:

I know post is old. But the most likely cause is malaria. Spleen may become enlarged (splenomegaly) trying to mop up red blood cells broken down by malaria parasites/plasmodium.

Some also report "ude" as affecting both sides/flanks. This is likely to be due to both spleen & liver enlargement called hepatosplenomegaly.
Aside malaria, other viral/parasitic infections, liver cirrhosis, leukaemia, chemotherapy drugs, etc. In sickle cell disease it can be potentially dangerous as the spleen sequesters red blood cells.

I was just discussing this "ude" with someone earlier today. Apparently some people still believe "bleeding bad blood" away is the cure. Problem is bleeding someone that is already anaemic due to malaria or chronic disease is a very bad idea indeed.

I hope the mark is not some form of Charm or initiation!
Cuz , I have a friend who has it and I'm scared of it.
Re: Edo Folks And Markings On The Stomach by Owamema(f): 7:58pm On Mar 02
Lol. No it's not a charm cause I also have the mark

1 Like

Re: Edo Folks And Markings On The Stomach by AutomaticMotors: 2:12pm On Mar 06
AreaFada2:

The Boss Himself 🙌🏽

(1) (Reply)

South African Pap Eater Vs Nigerian Yam Eater / Nzuko Ndigbo! / Pictures From Lagos Black Heritage Festival 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.