Stats: 3,154,605 members, 7,823,632 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Soyinka's Absense From Chinua's Burial! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Soyinka's Absense From Chinua's Burial! (687 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

Soyinka's Absense From Chinua's Burial! by Androgendaisy: 11:43am On Oct 02, 2013
I still cant get past the fact that nobel laurette Wole Soyinka was conspiciously absent from the burial proceedings of the late achebe. Both of them are argueably Africa's best literary icons.
Did there exist a covet rivalry between them? and if indeed there was, did it help to stimulate creativity in a healthy, competitive way?
Abeg Share your views.
Re: Soyinka's Absense From Chinua's Burial! by Afam4eva(m): 11:49am On Oct 02, 2013
Soyinka said it's because politicians hijacked Achebe's burial. Achebe has been long buried, so let's bury this issue.
Re: Soyinka's Absense From Chinua's Burial! by Androgendaisy: 11:58am On Oct 02, 2013
I wish it were so easy to let the matter slide, but its not.
For one soyinka was not exactly forthright about his reasons for not attending the burial or paying any public obsequities...in his words (paraphrasing) "i reserve the right to be present or absent for whatever reason i deem necessary".
Lets not forget that soyinka also found reason to be absent from chinua's 60th birthday celebration in the 90's.
Re: Soyinka's Absense From Chinua's Burial! by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 02, 2013
But to what end exactly are you raising this...?
Re: Soyinka's Absense From Chinua's Burial! by Androgendaisy: 11:30pm On Oct 02, 2013
mazado: But to what end exactly are you raising this...?
the reason is simple and I'l tell you. "It is an inquiry into the right" (IIR).
Got it?

An Expose On Weed / Friendship Is Eternal / Must Read; Twitter Sexcapade

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6