Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,633 members, 7,958,885 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 06:39 AM

C180 Camshaft Fault - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / C180 Camshaft Fault (1339 Views)

Nissan Maxima Camshaft Sensor Issues And Going Off On Motion / What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft / Reliability Of C180 and W202's IN GENERAL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

C180 Camshaft Fault by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 02, 2013
My C180 1998 elegance does not fire very well at low speed. After scanning, it was detected that the cam shaft sensor is bad and I have replaced it twice and yet no changes on the performance. How do I get a brand new sensor or do you think that the fault is coming from somewhere else? PLEASE ADVISE.
Re: C180 Camshaft Fault by SniperOne: 1:25pm On Oct 02, 2013
chibabe3: My C180 1998 elegance does not fire very well at low speed. After scanning, it was detected that the cam shaft sensor is bad and I have replaced it twice and yet no changes on the performance. How do I get a brand new sensor or do you think that the fault is coming from somewhere else? PLEASE ADVISE.

Have you had it scanned once more upon having replaced the faulty item on two occasions? Perhaps you should have your IAC valve diagnose too, as it causes a trifle of idling complications.
Re: C180 Camshaft Fault by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 07, 2013
Sniper_One:

Have you had it scanned once more upon having replaced the faulty item on two occasions? Perhaps you should have your IAC valve diagnose too, as it causes a trifle of idling complications.

Scanned it after the replacement was done and still having the same fault.
Re: C180 Camshaft Fault by ziccoit: 2:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
What kind of scanner did you use, OBD II or star scanner?
Re: C180 Camshaft Fault by Ikenna351(m): 8:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
A camshaft fault that keeps coming back after a cam sensor has been replaced with a good one and the harness intact, to me, means the timing belt or whatever that is driving that camshaft, is about to break, snap, slip off, etc. It's simply telling you the camshaft is out of position or the sensor is no longer detecting camshaft position, due to jump of tooth or whatever.

If i were you, if i was sure the replaced sensor is new enough to be good and the sensor harness continuity to the ECU is intact, i would have opened up the timing chamber by now. A day delay could cost you a month regret, if that belt or whatever breaks on you.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: C180 Camshaft Fault by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 08, 2013
ziccoit: What kind of scanner did you use, OBD II or star scanner?
used obd2 scanner
Re: C180 Camshaft Fault by SniperOne: 10:24am On Oct 14, 2013
chibabe3:

Scanned it after the replacement was done and still having the same fault.

Well, you gotta check stuffs around, a clog of dirt could possibly make this happen. How is the part surface of shaft that serves as a sensor actuating point like? Dirty or what? Worn??
Re: C180 Camshaft Fault by Nobody: 2:44pm On Nov 04, 2013
Ikenna351: A camshaft fault that keeps coming back after a cam sensor has been replaced with a good one and the harness intact, to me, means the timing belt or whatever that is driving that camshaft, is about to break, snapped, slipped off, etc. It's simply telling you the camshaft is out of position or the sensor is no longer detecting camshaft position, due to jump of tooth or whatever.

If i were you, if i was sure the replaced sensor is new enough to be good and the sensor harness continuity to the ECU is intact, i would have opened up the timing chamber by now. A day delay could cost you a month regret, if that belt or whatever breaks on you.

Ikenna.

Thanks Ikenna, I will ask the mechanic to check the timing chamber.
Re: C180 Camshaft Fault by motormax05: 2:41pm On Jan 18, 2015
P

Re: C180 Camshaft Fault by DECOtech(m): 10:16pm On Jan 18, 2015
chibabe3:
After scanning, it was detected that the cam shaft sensor is bad and I have replaced it twice and yet no changes on the performance.

Has your mechanic checked for possible cuts or breakage in the sensor wire?

*Most people don't know the difference btw OBD II scanner. brands and are oblivious of their varying capabilities*
-Did ur mechanic use a professional scan tool or the DIY scanner the size of a calculator or POS machine?

chibabe3:
PLEASE ADVISE.
1. Don't go resetting your timing belt yet until you confirm that the subject sensor communicates well with your ECM.
2. If your mech is using a DIY scanner (that might not have been updated for years) pls find a tech with a Professional scan tool like the "STAR scanner" "AUTOBOSS" or a "LAUNCH X-431iv"

Call 08030938491 if you are in Lagos.

(1) (Reply)

7 Ways To Keep Your Car As Good As New / I Need This Carburetor For My Car / Urgent!!! Best Coolant For Nissan Quest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.