Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,735 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today (18324 Views)

Lagos City Polytechnic Lecturers Arrested For Exam Malpractice / See Latest News About ASUU Strike Today / ASUU To Begin Indefinite Nationwide Strike Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by LMAyedun(m): 5:28am On Oct 04, 2013
The National President, Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), Chibuzor Asomugha, on Thursday directed the union members nationwide to commence an indefinite strike on Friday, October 4.

Mr Asomugha said that the directive became imperative following the federal government’s failure to meet the union’s demands.

He explained that two months after the union had suspended its previous strike, nothing had been done by the government to address the union’s demands.

The decision to embark on the strike on October 4 was reached at the 75th National Executive Council (NEC) meeting of the union in Bida, Niger State on September 28.

The union embarked on a nationwide indefinite strike on April 29, over the federal government’s failure to address its grievances; and suspended it on July 17 as a result of the intervention of the Joint Committees on Education of the Senate and the House of Representatives.

Mr Asomugha said that it was over two months that the union suspended its strike, but “nothing has been done since we suspended our strike in July”.

He said that the federal government had not fulfilled its bargain in the 2009 agreement with the union.

The union’s demands include the possibility of lower cadres rising to CONTISS 15, and the release of a White Paper on the Visitation Panel to the Federal Polytechnics.

Others are the discrimination between polytechnics and university graduates in job placements and career progression, and the constitution of the Governing Councils of Federal Polytechnics.

http://telegraphng.com/2013/10/polytechnic-lecturers-commence-strike/?

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Tolexander: 5:42am On Oct 04, 2013
E be like say this ASUP no sabi strike well. Striking like torress.

5 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Pizzanatty(m): 5:56am On Oct 04, 2013
The more you guys strike,the more commisioning of Rice Mill, Geregun 11 and others will continue. You cant hold the country down...

3 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Wsdm: 6:12am On Oct 04, 2013
Jonathan and his cohorts will coin one rhetoric to qualify their action ( example; political, they can't shut down my government) and then go back and continue his 2015 agenda as the only thing in his mind now. If all these people have been hijacked by your opponents, is it not suitable to say majority of Nigerians are now your opponents and you deserve to go and leave them in peace?

5 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by ogb5(m): 6:29am On Oct 04, 2013
How much do these ones want, 1 trillion or 2 trillion?

What is NANS waiting for before they call out all students on indefinite strike?
They can request that their degree certificates should be given to them in yr one. The students can be using the certificates to hustle each time nasu, ASUU, bsuu, csuu and dsuu decide to go on non ending turn by turn strike.

5 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by yunglykmine(m): 6:30am On Oct 04, 2013
Tolexander: E be like say this ASUP no sabi strike well. Striking like torress.
More like they should learn from ASUU bah?
LOL! grin
Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by antifat(m): 6:57am On Oct 04, 2013
Yeah! Lego
Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Clerverly: 7:13am On Oct 04, 2013
This government is totally inept.
Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:23am On Oct 04, 2013
This is a good development!

For sometime, av been the only one playing my FiFA 13 and PES alone, but i got worthy contenders after the ASSU strike!

With ASUP now, we can play cup mode grin grin grin

Make ASSU(association of secondary school union) too join o grin make the game sweet pass.

23 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by tomakint: 7:54am On Oct 04, 2013
While I pity the students whose academic lives these 'greedy lecturers' careless about I can only tell ASUP and even their colleagues at the universities, ASUU, that 'dem go tire' undecided

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by sEyi6: 8:20am On Oct 04, 2013
SLIDE waxie: This is a good development!

For sometime, av been the only one playing my FiFA 13 and PES alone, but i got worthy contenders after the ASSU strike!

With ASUP now, we can play cup mode grin grin grin

Make ASSU(association of secondary school union) too join o grin make the game sweet pass.

lwkm.... grin grin

Soldier of fortune(SOF), HALO or COD would be better, with sixteen players playing with their wireless connected PCs or better still play the online version, it's more interesting and fun because you've got a lot of sharp shooters chinkos and Brazilians to deal with. grin grin
forget FIFA where you'll have to wait for someone to lose before you play.

Enjoy the strike cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by yunglykmine(m): 8:40am On Oct 04, 2013
They should come and join us at home again jare..
NUT next in line.
Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by cashkidisback1(m): 8:55am On Oct 04, 2013
wow!!!everybody is nw goin on strike in nig bt wen wil bokoharam hv their own strike

2 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Nobody: 9:23am On Oct 04, 2013
Good development!

Since ASUU (their elder brother) IS ASKING FOR 3 Trillion
ASUP should demand for nothing less than 2 Trillion!

Please, does anyone know if the resident doctors have made their own demand and if it is up to 5 Trillion?

More associations should join the strike and demand their own Trillion.

As for me, the sooner we split Nigeria so that the regions can grow on their own pace, the better!

3 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by alexleo(m): 9:34am On Oct 04, 2013
tomakint: While I pity the students whose academic lives these 'greedy lecturers' careless about I can only tell ASUP and even their colleagues at the universities, ASUU, that 'dem go tire' undecided

You are not serious. Are you? Instead of you to condemn a government that has the culture of failing to keep agreement over the years, you are here talking trash. Be balanced.

2 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Dollarjunkie: 9:54am On Oct 04, 2013
This is one of the things the FG is running from by not agreeing with ASUU demands.
Should FG agree and pay ASUU their 3trillion, ASUP will come up with 2trillion 2009 agreement, NASU will still come up with 2001 1.5trillion agreement, even dead NITEL will come up with 1989 500billion agreement and so on...

If they are all tired of their jobs they should all retire and make way for millions of jobless Nigeria youths.

You want our schools to be like Havard University overnight yet you guys still lecture the students with your 1976 notebooks... and recruits your kinsmen that graduated with 3rd class when someone with 2.1 (even Msc) applied for the same job... Charges students to pass their courses and project like they want to buy the marks in your supermarket... asking girls to pay for hotel room for u and her before she could pass her course... e.t.c *smh*

Una go stay for house tire! RUBBISH!!!

8 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 04, 2013
If you think that Nigeria is one big joke, support the idea by liking this post.

4 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by iamswizz(m): 9:55am On Oct 04, 2013
I wonder what colleges of education, secondary schools and primary schools are still waiting for
Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by kkkp: 9:55am On Oct 04, 2013
Dis country is finished due to incompetence and cluelessnes of GEJ
Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by jeffoe(m): 9:56am On Oct 04, 2013
I think the media and nans has failed us

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Mubby4luv(m): 9:57am On Oct 04, 2013
Is wa o

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 04, 2013
The strike only affects the full timers, part timers are still receiving lecture
Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Sijo01(f): 9:58am On Oct 04, 2013
I cry cry for naija education sector.
Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Memyselfu2009(m): 9:59am On Oct 04, 2013
Strike is not the solution you can dialogue without going on strike the issue on ground is compounding how will the president work then all unions re on strike
Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Omen100(m): 10:01am On Oct 04, 2013
tomakint: While I pity the students whose academic lives these 'greedy lecturers' careless about I can only tell ASUP and even their colleagues at the universities, ASUU, that 'dem go tire' undecided

You are a disgrace to the Nigerian Institutions you attended. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by greatestman(m): 10:03am On Oct 04, 2013
I GIVE UP PORTING TO COTONOU UNIVERSITY AT LEAST I FIT TREK TO THERE
Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by onyxo76(m): 10:03am On Oct 04, 2013
you keep blaming lecturers for all the trouble students are going through...do you think you are getting the best of varsity education in nigeria? ASUU may have some "outrageous" demands but still this FG is very unconcerned about our youth future after all their wards don't study here and already have jobs waiting for them when they arrive from their studies...you should be taking your fight to this insincere Government.

2 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Reski2500(m): 10:06am On Oct 04, 2013
Some ppl i mean some .. behave like animals are dis ppl bettr dan boko? (Sighs) i weep for my country.. 9ja may go into extinction very soon.
Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by Demdem(m): 10:07am On Oct 04, 2013
Same old miserable story.
FG refusal to honour agreement they willingly entered.

2 Likes

Re: Polytechnic Lecturers Commence Strike Today by dridowu: 10:07am On Oct 04, 2013
'greedy lecturers' ? My bro , what would be ur response if ur direct relation is a lecturers ?
@topic, ASUU = POLITICISED ?
Resident Doctors = ?
ASUP AGAIN = ?
Yet 1billionaire food still kontinue is aso villa ?
They dont have we Nigeria masses in their program.
Their children are in private Schools/Well develop Kontri 4 best quality Education.
God punish them all
Fresh Airs Continues ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Resumption From Oau Mid Semester Break / ASUU-NEC To Debate Strike Resumption On Monday, November 7 / Ejikeme Joy Mmesoma To Be Honored By Anambra Man Of The Year Award Organisers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.