Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,152 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? (833 Views)

New Theory Could Prove How Life Began And Disprove God / Doesn’t Carbon-14 Dating Disprove The Bible? / Can You Disprove The Gods You Don't Believe In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 06, 2013
In my discussions with creationists and religionists, I'm often told that our logic is imperfect and insufficient to prove or disprove God.

Here is where the question lies. What do we have as humans that is perfect?

Our eyes isn't perfect as we all know the eye of an eagle can see better than ours. Our nose isn't perfect as we know a dog can smell better than we can do. Yet, as imperfect as these things are, it is all we have and use. This same imperfect eye is what religionists use to see God( through visions perhaps). Our imperfect mouth is what is used to pray to this same God.

Why then can't we use our imperfect logic to prove or disprove God.

While I admit our logic is truly imperfect, it is all we have. We must therefore continually use it whenever we want to prove or disprove God.
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
rationalmind: In my discussions with creationists and religionists, I'm often told that our logic is imperfect and insufficient to prove or disprove God.

Hmmmm...

Logic, basically, is the science that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration. and as such we can argue that it is perfect as it is, given that perfection has to do with the act of having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.

Hence the fact that it is not 'possible' to prove the existence or non-existence of God in the light of logic does not mean that logic in itself is imperfect. If God were to reveal himself as he truly is then proving the existence or non-existence of God could be easily demonstrated. Thus the best we can say for now is that proving or disproving God's existence is outside the scope of logic.

rationalmind:
Here is where the question lies. What do we have as humans that is perfect?

Our eyes isn't perfect as we all know the eye of an eagle can see better than ours. Our nose isn't perfect as we know a dog can smell better than we can do. Yet, as imperfect as these things are, it is all we have and use. This same imperfect eye is what religionists use to see God( through visions perhaps). Our imperfect mouth is what is used to pray to this same God.

The analogy does not follow. There are a number of occurrences we experience as humans (even with our imperfections) which are currently beyond the scope of Science. Our imperfections do not disallow us from having such experiences.

rationalmind:
Why then can't we use our imperfect logic to prove or disprove God.

While I admit our logic is truly imperfect, it is all we have. We must therefore continually use it whenever we want to prove or disprove God.

It will continue to be inadequate because proving God's existence empirically through logic is beyond the scope of science as it stands today.
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 06, 2013
striktlymi:

Hmmmm...

Logic, basically, is the science that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration. and as such we can argue that it is perfect as it is, given that perfection has to do with the act of having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be.

Hence the fact that it is not 'possible' to prove the existence or non-existence of God in the light of logic does not mean that logic in itself is imperfect. If God were to reveal himself as he truly is then proving the existence or non-existence of God could be easily demonstrated. Thus the best we can say for now is that proving or disproving God's existence is outside the scope of logic.

The analogy does not follow. There are a number of occurrences we experience as humans (even with our imperfections) which are currently beyond the scope of Science. Our imperfections do not disallow us from having such experiences.

It will continue to be inadequate because proving God's existence empirically through logic is beyond the scope of science as it stands today.

In your bid to disprove my claims, you failed to grasp the whole gist of the argument. If logic is perfect, then the whole claim of creationists n religionists about using "imperfect" logic is mute.

The purpose of the write up which you obviously failed to grasp is to show that, even if we agree that logic is imperfect as they claim, it still doesn't excuse us from using it to prove or disprove God.

You said the analogy doesn't follow, that's simply because you introduced a straw. Weather we experience things outside the scope of science isn't the issue. The issue is that, our imperfect organs is all we have and all we have to use.

Infact, if I want to go with your straw, you confirm what I originally said without you knowing. If with our imperfect organs, we experience things outside the scope of science, then with our "imperfect" logic we can determine if God exists or not even though its outside the scope of science.
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 06, 2013
rationalmind:

In your bid to disprove my claims,

I didn't attempt to disprove anything. You didn't even make any assertion that needed disproving.

Didn't read through because if you can't tell when one is trying to disprove an assertion then a discourse here would be futile.
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 06, 2013
When people say God cannot be proved logically, I think they usuaslly don't know what they are saying.
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 06, 2013
striktlymi:

I didn't attempt to disprove anything. You didn't even make any assertion that needed disproving.

Didn't read through because if you can't tell when one is trying to disprove an assertion then a discourse here would be futile.

Good way to run when you have nothing to say. Thumbs up bro.
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 06, 2013
Reyginus: When people say God cannot be proved logically, I think they usuaslly don't know what they are saying.

Just exactly bro.
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by ninja4life(m): 5:11pm On Oct 14, 2013
Haha nice logic there:p
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 14, 2013
ninja4life: Haha nice logic there:p

Lol, thanks bro.
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 14, 2013
Reyginus: When people say God cannot be proved logically, I think they usuaslly don't know what they are saying.

Wrong

God can not be proved logically because god is naturally illogical.

Pls give a definition of god with at least 3 attributes and I promise that I will show you how illogic al god is
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 14, 2013
Logicboy03:

Wrong

God can not be proved logically because god is naturally illogical.

Pls give a definition of god with at least 3 attributes and I promise that I will show you how illogic al god is
Lol. You don't think you need logic to even prove that God cannot be proved logically? In doing so, can we claim to have escaped logic?
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 14, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. You don't think you need logic to even prove that God cannot be proved logically? In doing so, can we claim to have escaped logic?

Numbnuts,

Put forward a definition of God or gerrout
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by Nobody: 11:33pm On Oct 14, 2013
Logicboy03:

Numbnuts,

Put forward a definition of God or gerrout
Lolol. When you are done with the ad hominems, holla me.
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by UyiIredia(m): 4:49pm On Oct 16, 2013
striktlymi:

*Gets ups and claps in awe* Killed the dude with the first line. Rationaldude's reply was damage control in fact. I am learning.
Re: Is Our Logic Not Truly Sufficient To Prove Or Disprove God? by TheBigUrban2: 8:24am On Aug 03, 2014
I wonder

(1) (Reply)

Satan Ministry: Revelations Of Satan. / Commiting Suicide,is Truly A Sin? / Question Of The Day: Did You Go To Church Today And If Not, Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.