Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,921 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (31492 Views)

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page / FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Policewoman(f): 2:15pm On Oct 07, 2013
life_style:

with 39,000k wey you they collect per month ?
Poor man. Stay there dey yarn akpata... tongue
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Anniettieufia(m): 2:16pm On Oct 07, 2013
At least , one can buy a second hand car, if Tokunbo is too high.

We will still survived .
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Nobody: 2:19pm On Oct 07, 2013
Anniettie ufia: At least , one can buy a second hand car, if Tokunbo is too high.

We will still survived .
what is the difference? just asking.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by lyfe(m): 2:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
Right policy at the wrong time.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by lifestyle1(m): 2:26pm On Oct 07, 2013
Donlittle: what is the difference? just asking.

Let me guess...

Tokunbo car : used by a foreigner in a foreign land...

Second hand car : used by a Nigerian in Nigeria ...

2 Likes

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Archiq: 2:29pm On Oct 07, 2013
Let's wait and see how d policy will work .
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by mcevans1(m): 2:30pm On Oct 07, 2013
My hands are being forced to buy a car now lipsrsealed
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by davisky: 2:30pm On Oct 07, 2013
Where are they going to get the raw materials from? or are they going to import the parts into Nigeria to come and assemble? May God save us.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Codedeben: 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
BizBooks: In the government' defense, Aganga said arrangements were being made to manufacture
new cars that would be sold for between N1.2M and N1.5M
. The question is: what kind of
brand new car will sell for 1.2M? You can't even get a brand new VW Golf for that price.

You should know nah, the likes of Kia picanto( that can only be driven within lagos and not that kind of long distance journey from Lag to Abj). When I could use the same amount to get a clean low-mile Honda Accord.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by DisGuy: 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
BizBooks: In the government' defense, Aganga said arrangements were being made to manufacture
brand new car will sell for 1.2M? You can't even get a brand new VW Golf for that price.

Tata Nano from India cheesy

no road, no airbag

I think theres another from Iran
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by ZUBY77(m): 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
Dont worry guys. APC will soon promise to reverse the law.

All we need to do is to vote them in.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Valstresser: 2:44pm On Oct 07, 2013
Vry soon workers will start to demand for salary increase to meet the high cost of goods in the market. FG should knw d implication of this policy

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by dallyemmy: 2:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
Why not ensure that the other options are ready before implementing such policy? If anyone could remember vividly, this is exactly what we did when Nigeria implemented Structural Adjustment Programme. Who will deliver us from these policy makers? When would the auto makers build their plants in Nigeria? Or are we protecting innoson interest?

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by dgysoft(m): 2:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
please i would like the FG to ban the importation of fairly used or tokunbo jet and airplanes, that i think will be sane than vehicles ok. considering the magnitude of a single air disaster.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by devour129: 3:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
BizBooks:

The FG said they are making plans have Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc build manufacturing
plants in Nigeria. If true, such plants will at least take several years to construct. So you
are right. It is Hyundai and Kia for now.
why not build the plants first ? clueless daft stupid heartless ignoramus government

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by princeonx: 3:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
lyfe: Right policy at the wrong time.
What is right about it? Even Americans still buy and drive used cars! Misplaced priority

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by osifred(m): 3:03pm On Oct 07, 2013
Finally ASUU calls off strike after
3months of delibration...

F G finally agrees to pay the 1.2trillion Naira demanded by ASUU, and earn allowance of 9billion naira, but said all payment would be made before the ending of november. President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities has summoned all lecturers to return back to their jobs n urge all students to resume classes, after which I woke up from SLEEP...
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by lifestyle1(m): 3:09pm On Oct 07, 2013
osifred: Finally ASUU calls off strike after
3months of delibration...

F G finally agrees to pay the 1.2trillion Naira demanded by ASUU, and earn allowance of 9billion naira, but said all payment would be made before the ending of november. President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities has summoned all lecturers to return back to their jobs n urge all students to resume classes, after which I woke up from SLEEP...

Source ?
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Dreamflyin(m): 3:12pm On Oct 07, 2013
WINNERS AND LOSERS A policy change of this magnitude will no doubt
have many winners and losers. WINNERS: Once again, Cotonou will become the main entry point for smuggling
tokunbo cars into Nigeria. This will enrich the
economy of Cotonou, their car dealers,
Border Agents on both sides and Cotonou clearing
agents. Local spare parts dealers in
Nigeria will also be favoured by this policy as people use their cars for longer periods.
Winners also will be alot of average Nigerians.
1. Spare Parts dealers.
2. The indigenous car manufacturers.
3. Engine reconditioning sector ( peeps that regrinds crankshafts, rebores engine blocks, resurfaces topcylinders with million naira high tech machines. That sector folded up when Nigeria started importing tokunboh in bulk costing thousands of jobs and the capital flight of foreign exchange.)
4. The average Nigerian that'll get job. (imagine when 1million Nigerians buys Innoson/Peugeot annually. The direct impact of FOREX, unemployment and the economy overall).
Finally, this is a good policy if the FG will implement it aggressively.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by 360command: 3:12pm On Oct 07, 2013
This is a good plan if govt are to finalize the ban on importation of tokunbo(second hand) cars in Nigeria. With time, there will be car reduction of second hand cars on the street as various alternative of transportation(public) starts increasing with lots of people using it(we hope the govt improves the public transportation to cater for the increased masses). Also, it paves way for automobile industry to come into the Nigerian market and start manufacturing cars, buses etc. just like what is happening in Mexico.

We should put in mind that with this ban, air pollution and noise pollution on our streets and environs will be at a reduction.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by born2boink(m): 3:15pm On Oct 07, 2013
Tokunbo cars, tokunbo plane, tokunbo phones,tokunbo laptop,tokunbo cloths ,tokunbo pants ,tokunbo bra and tokunbo ashawo. Even now person name don answer Tokunbo. I tire for naija, make dem banned them jooh, person wey go buy new cars go buy. You poor today no mean say we not fit become billionaire tomorrow, at least our aim from tokunbo to new ones
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Rotiix(m): 3:17pm On Oct 07, 2013
Damojo: Na wah o. So na hyundai and kia we go dey drive now bah?
Bro please how is Hyundai & Kia exempted, i don't get it. Thanks
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by ratiken(m): 3:21pm On Oct 07, 2013
With this policy, I have totally lost the last sympathy I had for Jonathan. Who can help this clueless government? Why always put the cart before the horse? where are the benefits of subsidy removal like they promised?, Despite the subsidy removal, the annual subsidy budget is on the increase... where are the benefits?

It is not rocket science to know that nobody will buy a tokunbo vehicle if they could afford new ones. All they needed was provide an enabling environment and lure the automobile firms to set up their plants here.

Why not fix the power problem first? Are the plants going to run on generators too? who is going to bear the cost of power generation for the plants?.... Nigerians are still at the recieving end of this policy even if the companies set up their plants here today because the production cost of these vehicles in Nigeria will be far more expensive than in China.

Which company will be in a haste to come set up a plant in our volatile polity? The security exposures are enormous..., if you set up the plant in the north...its boko haram, in the south..its mend, in the middle belt...its ombatse. Nigeria's security situation is not ripe to lure long term and capital intensive investments with a mere policy that could be twarted by massive smuggling through cotonou

The business of tokunbo cars and its accessories have provided succor for over 2 million nigerians ... ranging from the importers, the clearing agents, the custom officials, the middlemen to the the sellers etc. Now Jona wants to risk throwing them out back into the streets for a mere 500K job opportunities in 5 years which nobody is sure will ever be realized.

Where will the raw materials come from.... import too?, how will the raw materials be transported to the plants.... through our dead roads or the non-existent rail system? So Jona expects a taxi driver to invest in a brand new car for his business without increasing his fares? how many years of savings or mortgage structure will afford me a brand new car with a minimum wage of 18K?

This policy as nice as is sounds on paper is so ill-timed and will come back to hurt the Nigerian economy badly if implemented in the near term, fix the basic fundamentals first and this initiative will just fall into place. Like I'll always say.... Even the world best initiative will be rubbished if implementation of such initiatives resides on the hands of the corrupt.

There are urgent things to worry about, Bokoharam, ASUU, Ombatse, Crude Theft, corruption in our ministries, massive ongoing looting, political opposition, road and rail transport system, PHCN etc.

Jonathan.... tokunbo tariff increase should be the last thing on your mind. Some of your advisers are working for IMF and world bank; they do not mean well for you and Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Eyop: 3:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
When the federal government increase their tariff,it is an indirect way of banning Tokunbo cars which simply means that they want to make it unfavourable for Nigerians to bring in tokunbo cars. What they would have mentioned was a way of stopping the import of salvage titled vehicles i.e if you must import a Tokunbo vehicle into the country it must be clear titled vehicle not accidented rather than this initiative which will only favour the rich and not the poor.

Also the government might feel that the poor masses can afford Kia picanto or Hyundai elantra then how long will that last if bought? I'll rather buy a Tokunbo 1997 Mercedes Benz C class that can take me anywhere in Nigeria than invest my money to buy a brand new kia or hyundai brand of cars that i cannot attest to its durability.

Do they think it's like the United States,Canada and other developed countries that you can simply purchase a brand new vehicle with say $500 and balance up in installments which is applicable to both the poor and rich. Buying of Tokunbo cars now isn't going to solve the problem because it isn't everyone that had plans for such expenses and even if you have money deposited in the bank which you can as well use to purchase a car now,what then happens if something happens to that car in 6 months time?

The government should use their head and not their anus.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by ba7man(m): 3:31pm On Oct 07, 2013
Vote out G.E.J!!!!!

How do you discourage the use of 2nd hand cars?? By improving the public transportation so well and effectively that people will no longer be so desperate to own used cars any longer.

How many Nigerians could afford brand new cars in the first place that he feels there will be a surge in the purchase of of them??

There's no way I'm giving up my dream of driving a piece of German Engineering for an Innosun or Tata........

G.E.J probably spent a large part of his life in canoes so he has no idea how important the acess to automobiles is to the Average Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by victorv12(m): 3:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
I hope the federal government will remember to ban the importation of keke napep and okada coming to the country too! Because it will be unfair for the goverment to ban importation of tokunbo cars without creating a better alternative by improving the standard of living of the common man. The situation we start seeing massive importation of keke-napeps and okadas, by turning the country into a slum in Karachi or Bangladesh won't be accepted! Because we know the kind of poverty alleviation programmes the government always design for Nigerians when they are high on some drugs...If it's not subsidized keke-napep and okadas, it can be something worst they're preparing for us . We can see how f*cked up their sure-p buses are in Abuja. Buses with no air-condition that was imported from some crazy Asian jungle!
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by successking: 3:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
Though, is a welcome idea, implementation time is too close. It should be extended.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 07, 2013
Donlittle: This will not favor the Nigerian Economy At all, 100 of thousands of naira are used to clear cars at customs or whatever they call it, mostly and usually tokunbo cars. 6 out of 10, it is the average nigerian buying these tokunbo cars, now these average nigerians will have to save money for more years before they can get the new one.
The Nigerian Government is very daft, who thinks and implement these policies? This Govt has to be top 10 among the most daft government of the century.

You obviously a car importer, and these will affect your business. The govt is not banning cars they just increasing the tariff to encourage local manufacturing of cars and also encourage international car manufacturers to invest in the country thereby creating jobs. If you have a better idea please come up with one..
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Sagamite(m): 3:50pm On Oct 07, 2013

Apart from that, how many Nigerians can afford N1.2m?

Why do people have to drive brand new cars? It is not their right to chose used cars?

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by 3ace(m): 3:54pm On Oct 07, 2013
A kind of car that will be extremely inferior in quality. Probably smaller than picanto and no airbags. Durability will definitely be an issue and most necessary features needed in a car will be sacrificed. I need to start thinking of my neat tokunbo before dem bring dia frustration come.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 07, 2013
Brand new cars that'll cost between N1.2m - N1.5m. . .Lord have mercy! No be picanto be that? Even a brand new picanto isn't that cheap. . .Chai, this country eh!lipsrsealed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bentley Unveils New £160,000 Continental GT With A Revolving Three-way Dashboard / 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) / Panic As Vehicle Goes Up In Flames On Lagos Highway. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.