Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:51 AM

Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (31488 Views)

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page / FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by fissso123: 5:52pm On Oct 07, 2013
ikp4succes:

My Guy nothing dey Gambia, Naija beta pass them

i neva said dey beta pass us....But a peace place to chill while we still need another 53years to sort ourselves out wt brainless leaders.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by LajaLaba: 5:53pm On Oct 07, 2013
Valstresser: Vry soon workers will start to demand for salary increase to meet the high cost of goods in the market. FG should knw d implication of this policy
U are absolutely right
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by biafranqueen: 6:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
Just another way to try and slow down a group that imports the most cars and parts but we will continue to find our way, we are already manufacturing and now will take it to next level, since your trying us cool
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by andyanders: 6:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
Policy makers with no brain. In fact our government will always issue out policies that will not stand the taste of time. Same cars they cannot use with their families.

They cannot consider the average Nigerian who cannot afford the brand new cars. No good brand new car in Nigeria that will sell below N2 million naira. So which civil servant can afford it? They will start stealing public money and many civil servants now will go into crime.

Unless the government can just bring the price of these cars below one million naira and because of our population, the manufacturing companies or assembling companies can still make their profits.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by MARKREN: 7:00pm On Oct 07, 2013
We like to delude ourselves in this part of the world. Banning or high tariffs without establishing the required capacity and a porous/ corrupt customs agency equals increase in smugguling and more revenue losses/leakages for govt (which ironically is what they are trying to curtail. This is MacroEco 101. We dont manufacture any car in Nigeria and pls nobody should mention PAN. The duty on cars is already high, at least 25% as at the last time, and some of us are singing and clapping. This is the same Govt that reduced the years for used cars from 8 to 15. Another policy somersault by this clueless Govt..........All this point to what i have been saying for the last 2 years this country is bankrupt and in this period we have seem all manners of tax and tarriff increases across board to meet the costs of running this expensive but unproductive govt
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 07, 2013
I wholeheartedly support this initiative and it was too long in coming.

Now Innoson needs to step up their game.

When one door closes others will open. The prepared business person should still be able to thrive.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by erico2k2(m): 8:58pm On Oct 07, 2013
Somorin#1:
I wholeheartedly support this initiative and it was too long in coming.

Now Innoson needs to step up their game.
what car do you drive?

When one door closes others will open. The prepared business person should still be able to thrive.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by lastpage: 9:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
BizBooks: In the government' defense Aganga said arrangements were being made to manufacture
new cars that would be sold for between N1.2M and N1.5M[/b]. The question is: what kind of
brand new car will sell for 1.2M? You can't even get a brand new VW Golf for that price.

This is not a "defense" at all, it is a "show of stewpidity" on the part of that Minister Aganga or whatever he calls himself!

Imagine, he is "still making arrangements" yet he has fixed a cut-off date for the BAN?

Which kind of "sensible humanbeing" will throw away all the water in his house on the premise that "He is making arrangement (expecting) for the next rainfall"? grin grin grin

Jezuz! Why are we so-blessed with clueless people in a (Jona) daft govt like this? cry cry cry

Why not start the local production of the cars ....(l know this will never happen in the next ten years, where is the electricity sef, abi na "i-better-pass-generator dem go use?), ... let them reach a considerable level of production and then ban the importation of Tokunbo, THERE-AFTER?

Really, l am fed-up with brainless people, high on local Shekpe-gin, dishing out policies that affect other people's life negatively.
Can somebody tell Mr. President Jonathan that this policy is WICKEDNESS TO THE MASSES!

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by bfire(m): 9:09pm On Oct 07, 2013
My take on this is that the government is starting with a wrong step forward.

We don't have a technological advantage over Germany, USA, or Japan in the manufacturing of vehicles. Furthermore, if we have to rely on locally assembled cars from the major car manufacturers, who takes the profit? Nigeria/Nigerians or foreign investors/foreign countries?

The federal govt mentioned that the foreign exchanged used on the importation of these cars for 2012 was $4b +. Majority of this amount comes directly from Nigerians residing in North America, Europe and Asia either from their line of credit or savings. The profit gained after the sales of these vehicles stay in Nigeria on other projects such as: farming, new houses or other investments.

Contrasts the second and the third paragraph to making your deduction.

Now, lets compare apple to apple.

Malaysia have like 150% custom/excise duty on imported vehicles, why? They have a good structure to back their daily need and commune as regards movement of human, goods and services by investing on good roads and all forms of modern transport system.

What do we have in Nigeria? This is your own line to answer...

Please, lets start from manufacturing of tools and machines first and we'll gradually start or develop our own needs and manufacturing culture that will suite our various consumption pattern at different period and time.

We should remember that there was a time when bikes was king, ship rules over the sky, tubes repairs by vulganizer. What do we have now? what will come next? Yet tool is always there
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 07, 2013
lastpage:

This is not a "defense" at all, it is a "show of stewpidity" on the part of that Minister Aganga or whatever he calls himself!

Imagine, he is "still making arrangements" yet he has fixed a cut-off date for the BAN?

Which kind of "sensible humanbeing" will throw away all the water in his house on the premise that "He is making arrangement (expecting) for the next rainfall"? grin grin grin

Jezuz! Why are we so-blessed with clueless people in a (Jona) daft govt like this? cry cry cry

Why not start the local production of the cars ....(l know this will never happen in the next ten years, where is the electricity sef, abi na "i-better-pass-generator dem go use?), ... let them reach a considerable level of production and then ban the importation of Tokunbo, THERE-AFTER?

Really, l am fed-up with brainless people, high on local Shekpe-gin, dishing out policies that affect other people's life negatively.
Can somebody tell Mr. President Jonathan that this policy is WICKEDNESS TO THE MASSES!

Lastpage!

It's shortsightedness to want the government to wait until production is high before enacting social policies.

Why are you Guys always waiting on the government to do shat? Why?

Nigeria has many billionaires, millionaires (not in Naira but Dollar), why can't they or a congolerate of them start hwat is needed? Its' fglaring that the market is ripe for a manufacturer of affordabel cars.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by bfire(m): 9:20pm On Oct 07, 2013
Somorin#1:

It's shortsightedness to want the government to wait until production is high before enacting social policies.

Nigeria has many billionaires, millionaires (not in Naira but Dollar), why can't they or a congolerate of them start hwat is needed? Its' fglaring that the market is ripe for a manufacturer of affordabel cars.

Nigeria billionaires know what Nigerians wants. They are aware of what type of investment they should make.

Investment all over the world is based on structures on ground that will work for you; culture and social need of the people.

Why is it that the northern Nigerians are not investing in the production of cow hides winter jacket, for example.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by oluboyo04(m): 9:20pm On Oct 07, 2013
i'm stil surprized nigerians are protesting against the reduction or facing out of tokunbo cars in nigera, after its becoming almost imposible to move freely on the street due to fleets of rickety cars being packed everywhere.holdup is now everywhere in nigeria, people dying in hundreds everyday through accidents, our roads are deplorable not because govts are not trying their best, but if the road is repaired today, one tokunbo car will breakdown there tomorow and spoil it again. many families have two or three tokunbo cars, causing congestion. why not own one but correct car. lets change our thinking, development does not come on the plata of gold.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by walexguru: 9:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
[b][/b]i beg help me ask that mad man how many brand new cars he get before he become presy. me wey my money remain 50k make i buy tokunbo. kai make i go buy bike strait before he ban am too
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by andyanders: 9:41pm On Oct 07, 2013
oluboyo04: i'm stil surprized nigerians are protesting against the reduction or facing out of tokunbo cars in nigera, after its becoming almost imposible to move freely on the street due to fleets of rickety cars being packed everywhere.holdup is now everywhere in nigeria, people dying in hundreds everyday through accidents, our roads are deplorable not because govts are not trying their best, but if the road is repaired today, one tokunbo car will breakdown there tomorow and spoil it again. many families have two or three tokunbo cars, causing congestion. why not own one but correct car. lets change our thinking, development does not come on the plata of gold.

You think you can come online and just talk as if you got the cash? You got nothing because even if there is cash with you, stop talking s if you are loaded. People who are loaded do not think about themselves alone but for the feelings of the ordinary man out there on the street. As Mr. Loaded, can you stop your car and give a ride to your fellow man? I believe not.

How many average Nigerians can bring out 2 Million for a brand new car unless they are stealing from somewhere.

Even in developed countries, they also trade on used cars. So go and find a place and close your mouth.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by 3kay945(m): 9:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
oluboyo04: i'm stil surprized nigerians are protesting against the reduction or facing out of tokunbo cars in nigera, after its becoming almost imposible to move freely on the street due to fleets of rickety cars being packed everywhere.holdup is now everywhere in nigeria, people dying in hundreds everyday through accidents, our roads are deplorable not because govts are not trying their best, but if the road is repaired today, one tokunbo car will breakdown there tomorow and spoil it again. many families have two or three tokunbo cars, causing congestion. why not own one but correct car. lets change our thinking, development does not come on the plata of gold.

You think this poo makes sense abi?

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by DisGuy: 9:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
Somorin#1:

you are overestimating these billionaires... rarely manufacturing anything 'technical'

Moreover Capital is one thing...Human capacity, environment is quite another

They need power too!
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by charles0922(m): 10:31pm On Oct 07, 2013
everyday: If it can improve the local automotive industry then it is a welcome development
that's what we pray
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by shileowo: 10:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
Very funny. No electricity, kidnapping of foreign worker, boko boys, unstable govt policies. Toyota,Honda and Nissan don't operate in such zones.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by elektra80: 11:16pm On Oct 07, 2013
360command: This is a good plan if govt are to finalize the ban on importation of tokunbo(second hand) cars in Nigeria. With time, there will be car reduction of second hand cars on the street as various alternative of transportation(public) starts increasing with lots of people using it(we hope the govt improves the public transportation to cater for the increased masses). Also, it paves way for automobile industry to come into the Nigerian market and start manufacturing cars, buses etc. just like what is happening in Mexico.

We should put in mind that with this ban, air pollution and noise pollution on our streets and environs will be at a reduction.

did it occur to u that the new cars that will be manufactured and sold for 1.2m will soon become second hand one day, and might not last up to 3 years before becoming rickety? Second hand cars are everywhere, in the us, UK, etc. The difference is they have good roads and good maintenance culture and they can use a car for 20 yrs and car still drives like new. Now when u import a very nicely built car say a 2003 Toyota Camry into the country, that is a 10 ur old car and u can still use it in Nigeria for another 5 yrs or so... Compare that to a cheap car manufactured here and sold for 1.2m brand new. How long do u think that car will last, I doubt it will last 2 yrs before becoming old. What about safety features, I doubt a car sold for 1.2m brand new will have sufficient safety features. In case of an accident, na write off straight. Have u ever seen a Kia picanto involved in an accident? Trust me u won't even pick the pieces out of the car.
I think the better policy would be to barn importation of old cars, say cars produced 10 yrs and above and allow importation of newer cars while the govt work on building car manufacturing plants. It will be a win win.. U want cheap new car u get, and u want tokunbo u can also get.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by elektra80: 11:25pm On Oct 07, 2013

I don't get u. So even if u buy a new car, and then 4 yrs later u get tired of it, are u going to burn it and buy another one.. Or u gonna sell it? Then in that case it also becomes a used car. And what makes u think a car manufactured in Nigeria and sold for 1.2m brand new will be safer or last longer than a 10 years old tokunbo car? I think govt should review the policy... Maybe ban the importation of cars older than 10 yrs, that would be a better policy. Then work on building plants to manufacture cars, then with time when indigenous cars have flourished they can ban tokunbo cars finally.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by sunnyolads1(m): 11:33pm On Oct 07, 2013
Infact,the present govt in the land now should be voted out without delay.The peole we have at the helms of affair are clueless,myopic,wicked,self-centered,corrupt,rascal,daft,useless,directionless e.t,c. They just want to kill all the hopes that common man believes in by all means.So another tactics to enrich themselves after collecting large amount of bribe from those that are coming to invest in it and throw thousands of people into unemployment again. Government that can't even build a single refinery is planing to start car manufacturing..Foolishness of the highest order!

3 Likes

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by 3kay945(m): 1:04am On Oct 08, 2013
sunnyolads1: Infact,the present govt in the land now should be voted out without delay.The peole we have at the helms of affair are clueless,myopic,wicked,self-centered,corrupt,rascal,daft,useless,directionless e.t,c. They just want to kill all the hopes that common man believes in by all means.So another tactics to enrich themselves after collecting large amount of bribe from those that are coming to invest in it and throw thousands of people into unemployment again. Government that can't even build a single refinery is planing to start car manufacturing..Foolishness of the highest order!

grin grin
Your conclusion is right on point
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Nobody: 2:28am On Oct 08, 2013
Our greatest problem in this country is POWER. Put 30000Megawatts of electricity on the national grid and you will see how many industries including automobile will come begging on their knees to start their factories in Nigeria.

Why cant we build a massive 10000megawatts gas fired power station (with 10 to 20 gas turbines) in the Niger delta region (near to the gas reserves) and work on our gas policies and supply agreement with the IOC's?

The power problem in this country is not as complex as we think. Its just that we are trying to fix everything at the same time and getting none done.

Fix the power problem and 50percent of our problems will be solved. Other things will automatically start falling in place.

Any President that does this will be a Hero for generations to come.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by COOLDUN: 3:18am On Oct 08, 2013
360command: This is a good plan if govt are to finalize the ban on importation of tokunbo(second hand) cars in Nigeria. With time, there will be car reduction of second hand cars on the street as various alternative of transportation(public) starts increasing with lots of people using it(we hope the govt improves the public transportation to cater for the increased masses). Also, it paves way for automobile industry to come into the Nigerian market and start manufacturing cars, buses etc. just like what is happening in Mexico.

We should put in mind that with this ban, air pollution and noise pollution on our streets and environs will be at a reduction.

My friend spare us this economical jargon, we should first of all walk before we should think of running, no one is arguing all these points you stated here but the way this government act on the interests of the few people is becoming so un bearing. They copy all the American system of political and economical ideologies , but always fail to copy the American pro masses policies. How can someone wake in the morning and introduce a policy without making any alternative arrangements? this is typical anti masses policies. We saw it in the January 2012 Fuel Subsidy drama.

USA, as a country we are copying everything from are still importing Fairly used cars from every country in the world, with all the car manufacturing companies in the US, the state of Michigan is known as a world head quarter of the car manufacturing companies in the world. This is another way to enrich one or few individuals as we are seeing in the Dangote's dominance of the Nigeria economy. The privatization in Nigeria is a typical economical colonization of the country by the few ruling class and their cronies.

Did i hear you say about curtailing of the pollution in the country? this really shows that you are one of their payed online defenders, what causes the most pollution in Nigeria is generator sets which is caused by the wickedness and incompetence of the Nigeria past and present rulers. How many people own Tokumbo cars in Nigeria? but almost every Nigeria both in the village and townships owns generator sets including the big companies.

Why did the GEJ led government not stop the importation of the fairly used Fuel they import in Nigeria everyday before thinking of cars? Sometimes when i hear people boasting of democracy in Nigeria i look at them as people who don't know the real meaning of that word Democracy. Nigeria is not democratic now , what we have is the people in the plain clothes dictating the affairs of the nation, without minding the reactions of the people. Any government that never carries its people along is not different from Military dictatorship.

GEJ, led government is the most anti people regime i have ever witnessed in the country. I campaigned and voted for him 2011, even convinced my fellow friends and family members who swore not to vote then to vote for him in that election, but if he contests again in 2015 , i will personally vote against him i will also convince and re convince other people not to vote for him. I don't care about his little achievements because i know that they are not enough compared to all his boasted campaign promises.

My main reason against him is his heartless/anti masses economical policies. I have never seen a Christian who is so inconsiderate to the plights of the masses like this man, GEJ.

If there would be an election in 2015 i don't think GEJ will win again, he will only win by SELECTION and not an ELECTION.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by ziccoit: 5:52am On Oct 08, 2013

Who bought this boy data plan? cheesy

Let me explain and you must listen well;

Cars don't breakdown because they are used/Tokunbo. They breakdown due to one problem or the other which is majorly due to owners' poor handling of the beautiful engineering. A new car of 1hr old can breakdown when something goes wrong. Your car can run daily for 30yrs if you are good at taking care of the machine.

It is obvious a Aganga, GEJ etc can not ride in a 1.2-1.5M moving casket. What safety equipment do you think such a car would have installed?

Government just need to strengthen our economy and every other things would fall in place. Do you think people would be running after used cars if they could afford new ones?

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 08, 2013
Choose between New and Old
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Achuamaokwa(m): 7:50am On Oct 08, 2013
if GEJ is coming out 4 2nd term let him knw dt he is a loser, wth ds policy Hausa's has trick him.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by jpphilips(m): 10:43am On Oct 08, 2013

it is only a Nincompoop that makes a policy whose sustainability is built on "HOPE"

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by jpphilips(m): 10:58am On Oct 08, 2013
Even Americans the biggest auto consumers in the world use fairly used cars and brand new with facilities, a third world president wants his country men to buy brand new out rightly, lol, i don't blame peeps who call him retardeen
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by jpphilips(m): 11:05am On Oct 08, 2013
babyhrt: [b][/b]hmmmm.God bless Gej n his leadership style.u dnt understand cos u r nt a leader.great leaders lead with vision n lead in prospective...by 2mro wen Nigeria jus like south starts producing its own brand of cars,d over all benefit to our economy will nt in any way b compared to dis outcry by a few on dis forum who cannot see byond 2day.it might b painful bt its worth it.

You really have no idea how cars are manufactured
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by igwe4life(m): 12:58pm On Oct 08, 2013
BizBooks: In the government' defense, Aganga said arrangements were being made to manufacture
new cars that would be sold for between N1.2M and N1.5M
. The question is: what kind of
brand new car will sell for 1.2M? You can't even get a brand new VW Golf for that price.
That is a silly statement coming from the minister, how can u put the cart before the horse, they should show proof of the 1.2 M car first before they ban used cars, only in Nigeria do polithiefcians care less for its citizens.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by adamsflick(m): 1:41pm On Oct 08, 2013
Lmao dem wan ban tokunbo cars una dey talk abi ... Kosi probs, make una wait till dem ban tokunbo phones, una go hear am den

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bentley Unveils New £160,000 Continental GT With A Revolving Three-way Dashboard / 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) / Panic As Vehicle Goes Up In Flames On Lagos Highway. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.