Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,015 members, 7,845,279 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State (776 Views)

Re: New National Curriculum: No Merger Of Crs And Irs / Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola / List Of Schools & Their 2012/2013 UTME Cut-off Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Rexyl(m): 9:27am On Oct 08, 2013
Members of Baptist Churches in Iwo, embarked
on demonstration, on Monday morning, shutting
down Baptist High School, Adeke, denouncing
the new education system, just as they vowed to
resist it with all available measures.
Investigation indicated that the protest was
allegedly sparked off by the merger of some
pupils from Muslim schools to Baptist High
School, Adeke, in Iwo, a development which
heightened tension in the ancient town.
The protest in Iwo followed a similar
demonstration last week Wednesday, by students
of Baptist Girls’ High School, Osogbo, who shut
their gates against male students of Fakunle
Comprehensive High School (FCHS) who were
merged with them as a result of the new
educational policy.
As early as 7.30 a.m on Monday, protesting
Christians in Iwo, stormed Baptist High School,
Adeke of the town and locked out all students
including non- Christian students and teachers
redeployed to the school as a fallout of the
merger policy.
But, in a swift reaction, the state government
said that they had taken into consideration the
interests of all stakeholders in the
implementation of the merger, which culminated
in the re-classification of schools.
However, the Christians, who were dominated by
the Baptist members, said they had concluded
arrangements to vehemently resist the state
government’s move to merge Baptist High
School, Iwo with hijab wearing ones, expressing
reservation over the policy, which according to
them, was aimed at erasing traces of ownership
of the schools originally owned by missionaries.
Armed with Holy Bibles and hymns books,
public address systems, the christians displayed
banners with inscription that read: “Baptist Say
No To Merger of Schools”, “Baptists Say No to
Wearing of Hijab in all its schools”.
The demonstrators converted the frontage of the
school into a prayer ground, while principal,
students and staff who were supposed to resume
work at 8,oo a.m of the day were locked
outside.
One of the choruses rendered by them was “The
Lord that delivers Daniel, The Lord that delivers
Daniel from the den of lion, why can’t you
deliver us from this oppression and
humiliation.”
Following the development, some students were
spotted roaming streets of the town, while
others clustered around to discuss the matter,
wondering how the crisis would be resolved.
But, around 8.00a.m, a combined team of plain
cloth security men and policemen in uniform
arrived the scene in a saloon wine colour
Volkswagen Golf car, marked AE 969 JER to
appeal to the Christians to allow students and
staff entry into the school, but their pleas
yielded no results.
The demonstration caused traffic gridlock and
Baptist royal ambassador of the church turned
traffic warden to control movement of vehicles,
motor cycles and others to give room for the
free flowing of movements.
Commenting on the development, the presiding
minister for the 35 Baptist churches in Iwo land,
Reverend (Dr.) Bayo Ademuyiwa, said “Our
forefathers and missionaries sacrificed their
lives, resources and of course everything to
establish schools, reputable schools with morals
and values and that is why the Baptists in Iwo
land are here to protect our schools.”
He added that: “Without any doubt, the Baptist
in the state are known for excellence, decorum
and dignity. These virtues are highly cherished
by the Nigerian Baptist Convention and this is
the reason why the Baptists are making these
two submissions which are: ‘Baptists in Iwo land
say no to merger of schools and Baptists in Iwo
land say no to the use of Hijab in Baptists
schools.’
“While we welcome genuine efforts to provide
modern infrastructures and equipments in
schools in Osun State, the Baptists see merger
of schools as a step in the wrong direction as it
will rob us of our identity and bring more pains
to parents and students”.
However, the state governor, Mr Rauf
Aregbesola, while reacting to the protest said
that his administration had taken into
cognizance the interests of all stakeholders
before implementing the re-classification of
schools, just as he implored parents, irrespective
of religious beliefs, to support the new
education system.
While admitting that his administration was not
unaware of little inconveniences the reforms
could bring about to parents and the pupils, the
governor observed that such inconveniences are
just a passing phase, which will pale into
insignificance if compared to the huge benefits
of the new system, both in the short and in the
long terms.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=653901087963287&id=545920775427986&refid=17
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Infomizer(m): 9:58am On Oct 08, 2013
I don't know why xtian folks should have a problem with the hijab thingy? I mean, isn't it a decent form of dressing? I'm no muslim tho', just on the side of reason here. I really don't understand why folks can't afford to coexist and tolerate each other. In our own country? Smh
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Rexyl(m): 10:42am On Oct 08, 2013
Infomizer: I don't know why xtian folks should have a problem with the hijab thingy? I mean, isn't it a decent form of dressing? I'm no muslim tho', just on the side of reason here. I really don't understand why folks can't afford to coexist and tolerate each other. In our own country? Smh

It is good to tolerate one another but if the intention of people or leaders you tolerate is to bring trouble on you and your children in the long run I think you better raise alarm for possible corrections before things goes wrong and beyond control. Something might be hidden in that policy which if people just take it for granted and allow it to go that way, it would be like they bargained for a troubled and insecure future socially and morally, and even an attempt pervert faith is encoded
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Hearme(m): 12:28pm On Oct 08, 2013
Infomizer: I don't know why xtian folks should have a problem with the hijab thingy? I mean, isn't it a decent form of dressing? I'm no muslim tho', just on the side of reason here. I really don't understand why folks can't afford to coexist and tolerate each other. In our own country? Smh

Give hijabs to your sisters and mother to wear. Must you impose a religious lifestyle on another religion.
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Infomizer(m): 5:55am On Oct 09, 2013
Rexyl:

It is good to tolerate one another but if the intention of people or leaders you tolerate is to bring trouble on you and your children in the long run I think you better raise alarm for possible corrections before things goes wrong and beyond control. Something might be hidden in that policy which if people just take it for granted and allow it to go that way, it would be like they bargained for a troubled and insecure future socially and morally, and even an attempt pervert faith is encoded
Don't you think both sides share the same fears - that of proselytizing? I understand your point but if each party puts her house in order, then there shouldn't be much to worry about, provided there is an improvement in the quality of education in the state..
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Infomizer(m): 6:05am On Oct 09, 2013
Hearme:

Give hijabs to your sisters and mother to wear. Must you impose a religious lifestyle on another religion.
Shuo! Na fight?
What's wrong with having a hijab-wearing classmate. I prefer that for my wards than a mini-skirt or figure-8 enhancing one! Well, since that's my opinion, I don't expect it to be okay by you. And by impose, you mean xtians are innocent of that?
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by hakings(m): 6:48am On Oct 09, 2013
the merger is a problem to none but the myopic . if any phylosophy is not coming from the christians, it's not the best for nigeria no matter how useful or heplfull it maybe. i've always attended none islamic schools all my life wherein i performed lots of activities attached to christianity and here i am today, still an islamic monotheist. why is that you prefer to dine with the devil than to live with the muslims? it's this hatred for islam that put the economy where it is today. CAN and other corresponding christian groups did throw their weight behind jonathan to come to power and his administration now they can not defend. osun state has been the most peaceful state in nigeria in all ramifications in recent years under the stewardship of this same man whose administration you now see as a threat because of mere merger of schools. my call to the people of the state of osun! i'd rather you woke up and stir the coffee and let no group in the name of religious difference usher in chaos into your peaceful state like they did to nigeria. my advice.
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Rexyl(m): 10:28am On Oct 09, 2013
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Rexyl(m): 10:30am On Oct 09, 2013
hakings: the merger is a problem to none but the myopic . if any phylosophy is not coming from the christians, it's not the best for nigeria no matter how useful or heplfull it maybe. i've always attended none islamic schools all my life wherein i performed lots of activities attached to christianity and here i am today, still an islamic monotheist. why is that you prefer to dine with the devil than to live with the muslims? it's this hatred for islam that put the economy where it is today. CAN and other corresponding christian groups did throw their weight behind jonathan to come to power and his administration now they can not defend. osun state has been the most peaceful state in nigeria in all ramifications in recent years under the stewardship of this same man whose administration you now see as a threat because of mere merger of schools. my call to the people of the state of osun! i'd rather you woke up and stir the coffee and let no group in the name of religious difference usher in chaos into your peaceful state like they did to nigeria. my advice.

We are now in the information age where eyes are wide open to all the goings - fabrications modifications and distortion of truth or lies. Point of correction... if the nose had not perceived the odour, month would not utter that something stinks. For the CAN to jointly rise against the govt decision on its education policy, something has been done wrongly somewhere. Pls get the matter right the governor has really tresspassed for taking that decision. The decision to secretly take educational system of state through a process that would later destroy identity of the missionary schools has been uncovered, and the best thing to do now is to reject it, when reasonable people will be comfortable to intervene for amicable resolution. If Churches are seeing such evil now at its early stage and keep silent, it would be like they give devil a chance to alter structure and finally destroy their heritage put together from tithes and offerings of believers to provide for needs of the society. People have learned a lot from the governor‘ s mission, He is planning for what will offer religious disharmony similar to what is disturbing peace in the North. IF he is sincere with his education policy he must not spark off apprehension against Christians. Christians foresee plans to destroy their heritage soon or later so they are not comfortable. Chief Awolowo and Bola Ige holistically revamped education structure and they were not ignorant and selfish to cause disaffection among Christians and Moslems like what is happening right now. What the govt should do is to improve and upgrade facilities in mission schools. The missionaries acquired enough land for all schools they established so that in the future what they expect is upgrade of facilities for ever increasing student population, they do want unnecessary merger by a leader that might have lost focus.
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Rexyl(m): 11:24am On Oct 09, 2013
Infomizer:
Don't you think both sides share the same fears - that of proselytizing? I understand your point but if each party puts her house in order, then there shouldn't be much to worry about, provided there is an improvement in the quality of education in the state..

Really the missionaries were neither myopic in reasoning nor haphazard in their actions. They catered properly for schools, hospitals and several other social amenities they provided for generations yet unborn. What they expect is upgrade of the structures and consolidation to take care of future expansion while people still retain the identity. Merger in secret plan to later destroy their heritage shouldn't be conceived at all by the govt. Christians are concerned about society that is polluted and people of faith are working on the gospel options to sanitize it in line with teachings of their scriptures. That is reason Christians are defending what is known to be right for them and the society. Interestingly many of these leaders acquired western education through missionary schools. See what they the mess they are now plowing back.
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Infomizer(m): 12:30pm On Oct 09, 2013
Rexyl:

Really the missionaries were neither myopic in reasoning nor haphazard in their actions. They catered properly for schools, hospitals and several other social amenities they provided for generations yet unborn. What they expect is upgrade of the structures and consolidation to take care of future expansion while people still retain the identity. Merger in secret plan to later destroy their heritage shouldn't be conceived at all by the govt. Christians are concerned about society that is polluted and people of faith are working on the gospel options to sanitize it in line with teachings of their scriptures. That is reason Christians are defending what is known to be right for them and the society. Interestingly many of these leaders acquired western education through missionary schools. See what they the mess they are now plowing back.
If the missionaries succeeded in serving every tom, diick, and harry, why do you think it's no longer possible? This is not worth hatching a conspiracy theory about. They're simply seeing the glass as half empty and it's uncalled for.
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Rexyl(m): 1:13pm On Oct 09, 2013
Infomizer:
If the missionaries succeeded in serving every tom, diick, and harry, why do you think it's no longer possible? This is not worth hatching a conspiracy theory about. They're simply seeing the glass as half empty and it's uncalled for.

Let‘s hear from the government and other members of the public what they say when the owners of the valuables clamour for total control of their properties. You too what will you say.
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Infomizer(m): 2:29pm On Oct 09, 2013
Rexyl:

Let‘s hear from the government and other members of the public what they say when the owners of the valuables clamour for total control of their properties. You too what will you say.
We'll cross that bridge when we get there. For now, let's just coexist and tolerate each other!
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Rexyl(m): 3:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
Infomizer:
We'll cross that bridge when we get there. For now, let's just coexist and tolerate each other!

Right, I pray we coexist but the stubborn ones must be dealt with in order not to cause trouble and disturb our peace. An example is the one we are dealing with right now.
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Infomizer(m): 4:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
Rexyl:

Right, I pray we coexist but the stubborn ones must be dealt with in order not to cause trouble and disturb our peace. An example is the one we are dealing with right now.
Pray, but deal with 'em? Your mind is made up bro, I rest my case!
Re: Baptists Protest Merger Of Schools In Osun State by Rexyl(m): 4:51pm On Oct 09, 2013
Infomizer:
Pray, but deal with 'em? Your mind is made up bro, I rest my case!

yeah God help us!

(1) (Reply)

How To Help A Child With Low Grade In School / Science Technology Engineering Mathematics / Study In Philippines And Get Your Student & Tourist Visa In Quick Time!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.