Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola (14442 Views)

Re: New National Curriculum: No Merger Of Crs And Irs / List Of Schools & Their 2012/2013 UTME Cut-off Marks / Nigeria: Fg To Hand Over 100 Almajiri Schools By June (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by theshadyexpress(m): 6:35am On Oct 08, 2013
Christians in Osun State, especially members of the Osun Baptists Conference, on Monday protested against the attempted merger of Muslim students wearing hijab with the Baptists High School, Iwo, under the new education policy introduced by Governor Rauf Aregbesola.

Aregbesola last week inaugurated a new education policy in Osun, which the governor said had necessitated re-classification and merger of public schools in the state to reflect the new education system.

The governor, who expressed worry about the protest, however, urged the people to cooperate with the school restructuring, saying the policy was introduced as part of transformation of the education sector by his government.

Aggrieved Christians armed with Holy Bible and Hymn books trooped to the Baptists High School as early as 7:30am and dislodged the students and prevented teachers from entering the school premises.

They said that the merger of the schools, if allowed to succeed, would obliterate the Baptist heritage and that they would not allow hijab-wearing students in a school founded by Christian missionaries.

The Christian protesters defied the presence of armed security operatives and insisted that they would not allow the merger to work.

Presiding minister for the 35 Baptist churches in Iwo land, Rev. Bayo Ademuyiwa, said the church had nothing against the government’s attempt to equip schools in the state but he said that the church would not allow any attempt to erase its identity and heritage.

He said, “Our forefathers and missionaries sacrificed their lives, resources and everything to establish schools, reputable schools with morals and values and that is why the Baptists in Iwo land are here to protect our schools.

“Without any doubt, the Baptists in the state are known for excellence, decorum and dignity. These virtues are highly cherished by the Nigerian Baptist Convention and this is the reason why the Baptists are making these two submissions which are, “Baptists in Iwo land say no to merger of schools and Baptists in Iwo land say no to the use of hijab in Baptists schools.

“While we welcome genuine efforts to provide modern infrastructures and equipments in schools in Osun State, the Baptists see merger of schools as a step in the wrong direction as it will rob us of our identity and bring more pains to parents and students.”

Chairman, Osun State Christian Association of Nigeria, Rev. Elisha Ogundiya, also said that CAN would not allow any programme to erase the legacy of the Church.

Ogundiya said, “We have maintained this stand from inception and we will continue to defend lawfully what belong to us as Christians in the state.”

“As a major stakeholder in the state, the leadership of CAN expects the state government to invite us to discuss this issue without delay. We wish to explain it clearly that at no time did the new leadership of CAN in Osun held any meeting with the state government on the issue of merger of schools.”

But the governor, in a statement by his media aide, Semiu Okanlawon, allayed the fears , promising that the interest of all groups, organisations, religious and social bodies would be protected in the ongoing re-classification and reform.

He urged the people of the state to discountenance and dismiss “any untrue and baseless insinuation” critics of the government might be spreading across the States.

source:http://www.punchng.com/news/christians-protest-merger-of-schools-by-aregbesola/

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Aphrygian(m): 6:37am On Oct 08, 2013
my gov got it all wrong on this,i must confess.

17 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by gregg2: 6:41am On Oct 08, 2013
Very very soon this man will become South West own version of Abubakar Shekau. Like Boko Haram he is training his squad already which he calls "SHERIFF GUARDS"

9 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Wsdm: 7:22am On Oct 08, 2013
*Where is religious tolerant?
*Why are the Muslims not protesting as well?
*Is hijab/ covering only Muslim things( Mary's portraits Is always on hijab)?
* I hope this nonsense will not divide the enviable religious tolerant of the Yorubas.
GEJ OVER TO YOU; AN OPPORTUNITY TO CAUSE DIVIDE IN AN OPPOSITION STATE IN PREPARATION FOR 2015.

14 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 08, 2013
Wsdm: *Where is religious tolerant?
* I hope this nonsense will not divide the enviable religious tolerant of the Yorubas.
GEJ OVER TO YOU; AN OPPORTUNITY TO CAUSE DIVIDE IN AN OPPOSITION STATE IN PREPARATION FOR 2015.
cool story bro. Why not read the article again?

17 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by kettykin: 7:38am On Oct 08, 2013
Yoruba Christians good morning ooo

10 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Tolexander: 7:56am On Oct 08, 2013
Aggrieved Christians armed
with Holy Bible and Hymn
books trooped to the Baptists
High School
as early as
7:30am and dislodged the
students and prevented
teachers from entering the
school premises.
crusade!

3 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 08, 2013
Wsdm: *Why are the Muslims not protesting as well?
You ain't current.

As in? What concerns him?

5 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Brunel(m): 8:28am On Oct 08, 2013
this man is taking it TOO far.

3 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by dridowu: 8:48am On Oct 08, 2013
I dont understand Aregbe ds Education Policy. Honestly am 100% confused about ds policy

3 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Haywhymido(m): 9:17am On Oct 08, 2013
See segregation of d highest order.since d schools av bin merged if xtians r allow to attend muslim public schools,y will d xtians stop d muslims 4rm attendin dia schools.I av said it b4, na dis xtians go start religion war 4 southwest.n dey do preach abt love ur neighbour as urself. Arrant nonsense.

11 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by HezronLorraine(m): 9:24am On Oct 08, 2013
This man is actively changing the status of things in his state but he isn't getting it right.Some policies are made after consulting and receiving consent of the people,Nigeria leaders find this difficult to do.

6 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Buddydogg(m): 9:26am On Oct 08, 2013
am really against this, how can he just came up with an idea that he want to merger all schools togther....
This is so bad!
Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by JMOI: 9:29am On Oct 08, 2013
Nigeria is "blessed" with very bad, insensitive and confused elements parading themselves as leaders.

2 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Datiboboi: 9:30am On Oct 08, 2013
~I don't see any big deal Christian Muslim worshiping or studying together the only problem here is hijab, face covering like seeing my fellow student dress like a ninja in class room. It really sucks

25 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Coldfeet(f): 9:32am On Oct 08, 2013
Christianity is all about loving ones neighbour na! Why all this bruhaha? Will the merger change the curriculum of the school? Honestly if there should be a protest I think it ought to emanate from the Muslims who have been uprooted from their own schools to join another! Because I don't think they are finding it palatable! Was the school board not aware of this merger? Were both parties not privy to the new marriage? And why is one side so aggrieved about it?

4 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Forzap: 9:33am On Oct 08, 2013
Aregbe shld stop dis nonsense, Darkness cant mix wit light!!

22 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Lilimax(f): 9:34am On Oct 08, 2013
Aphrygian: my gov got it all wrong on this,i must confess.
Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Oyetboy(m): 9:35am On Oct 08, 2013
Buddy dogg: am really against this, how can he just came up with an idea that he want to merger all schools togther....
This is so bad!
Buddy dogg: am really against this, how can he just came up with an idea that he want to merger all schools togther....
This is so bad!
This is so bad!
ur english is the reason why he is merging them together!

4 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Guyman02: 9:35am On Oct 08, 2013
Coldfeet: Christianity is all about loving ones neighbour na! Why all this bruhaha?

Why not move to Benisheik, Bama or Maiduguri and type your comments from there. if you love your neighbour without them loving you back is that not trouble for you?
The Gov should have carried out wider consultation before implementing the policy so that the intention will be very clear to everyone. With the level of violence across the world in the name of Islam, Christian parents will not be comfortable with hijab wearing and heavily bearded students in Christian owned schools.
Muslims as good religious people need to redefine their way of life and make people feel comfortable in their midst..

43 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by soma042(m): 9:37am On Oct 08, 2013
Look @ what this people has done to Islam cry cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Lilimax(f): 9:37am On Oct 08, 2013
theshadyexpress:
Aggrieved Christians armed with Holy Bible and Hymn books trooped to the Baptists High School as early as 7:30am and dislodged the students and prevented teachers from entering the school premises.

They said that the merger of the schools, if allowed to succeed, would obliterate the Baptist heritage and that they would not allow hijab-wearing students in a school founded by Christian missionaries.

/
wink I like the highlighted

1 Like

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by kevoh(m): 9:37am On Oct 08, 2013
Children are the future of tomorrow. What ever they absorb while growing up will be part of them till they grow old. Integrating muslim,christian and traditionalist children in one school is not a bad thing. They will simply learn how to tolerate each other and carry this tolerance with them when they become parents and teach their own kids how to love others irrespective of where they are coming from.

The sooner we learn how to live with each other in Nigeria the better for us.

6 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Sard(m): 9:37am On Oct 08, 2013
smh... these people don't even know how to protest, why did they protest with Bible and hymnal book when they could have done it the way of our 'peace-loving' brethren that do protest peacefully with bombs and other ammunition.

2 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Lilimax(f): 9:38am On Oct 08, 2013
theshadyexpress:

wink What a weapon @ highlighted

4 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Lilimax(f): 9:38am On Oct 08, 2013
Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by rozayx5(m): 9:38am On Oct 08, 2013
Wsdm: *Where is religious tolerant?
GEJ OVER TO YOU; AN OPPORTUNITY TO CAUSE DIVIDE IN AN OPPOSITION STATE IN PREPARATION FOR 2015 .

what does this have to WITH Gej
my advice to you, go and hang yourself OVER Gej, cause he will be there till 2019

1 Like

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by peckerlord: 9:42am On Oct 08, 2013
Forza p: Aregbe shld stop dis nonsense, Darkness cant mix wit light!!

You must be silly.....dont judge any religion.]
be good at your faith and leave others

4 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by Coldfeet(f): 9:43am On Oct 08, 2013
Guyman02:
Why not move to Benisheik, Bama or Maiduguri and type your comments from there
You are not making sense my brother please type again thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by BabaO2: 9:44am On Oct 08, 2013
Wrong calculation, wrong strategy,.. I was thinking this guy is a smart guy. Power corrupts absolutely, Osun fashion of religious riot has a very high propensity.
Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by DMainMan: 9:45am On Oct 08, 2013
Tolexander: crusade!

More like Christian Crusaders/Terrorrists.
Anoda version of Boko haram in South West. God help Nigeria
Re: Christians Protest Merger Of Schools By Aregbesola by charpisoul: 9:46am On Oct 08, 2013
Must Aregbesola merge schools to make them function well, I think he should just concentrate on good governance and equipping the school better rather causing avoidable trouble for himself and the State. But I know he will not rescind his decision, as there is a bit of arrogance in him.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Between Nursing And Medical Laboratory Science / University Of Ilorin Admission Thread 2015/2016 (undergraduates) / ASUU Strike To Be Called-Off Soon - Adamu Adamu, Minister Of Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.