Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,625 members, 7,955,296 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:47 PM

ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails (9094 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Strike: Mark, Suswam Seek Spiritual intervention / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by ifeanyija(m): 6:44am On Oct 09, 2013
Hope continues to dim for the resolution of the
indefinite strike embarked on by the Academic Staff
Union of Universities (ASUU), which has entered its
101th day as the much anticipated intervention by the
Catholic Bishops of Nigeria has failed to convince the
union to return to work.

The bishops, rising from their plenary in Otukpo, Benue State mid-September had offered to mediate in the impasse between the government and the striking
lecturers.
Speaking with THISDAY in a telephone conversation
yesterday, the National President of ASUU, Dr. Nasir
Fagge, admitted that the union received a letter from
the Catholic Bishops.

He added that the bishops, in the letter, urged the
union to meet the government halfway.
"We have responded to the letter and we noted that we have already met the government halfway. In 2006, we did that and the agreement then was a product of
collective bargaining. In 2012, we also met the
government halfway, we shifted ground," Fagge said.

He noted that the position of the union remains the
same: that the government should implement the 2009
agreement.

"We accept the efforts of anyone who wants to
intervene, but what we are saying is that the
government should implement the agreement. If two
parties have an agreement, the two parties should
respect the position of the agreement," he added.

Fagge, disclosed that talks and meetings are still being
held with the Education Minister.

In the same vein, the Chairman of the Board of Tertiary Trust Fund (TETFund), Dr. Musa Babayo, has appealed to ASUU to shelve its strike in the interest of the nation.

He spoke at a meeting with Pro-Chancellors and Vice-
Chancellors of universities in Abuja yesterday.
"We continue to appeal to ASUU to call off the industrial action. We have a moral responsibility to know where our rights begin and where they end, because other people have rights too," he said.

Babayo disclosed that the lecturers have refused to
access N3 billion TETFund grants for ground-breaking
researches and N2billion for book development.

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ASUU-catholic-bishops-intervention-fails/161103/

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by hijacke(m): 9:10am On Oct 09, 2013
wen two arrogant people are fightin, dnt attempt to break it up, u wil only harm urself. i rily want to knw d limit ASUU can go wit dis strike witout any intervention nd pay.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Abimloaded(m): 9:17am On Oct 09, 2013
Hahahahahahahaha... nothing that ends with ''N'' is good. All are bad. Examples:-JONATHAN, MTN, PHCN,

10 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by bobonkiti101(m): 9:19am On Oct 09, 2013
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Smartiegurl(f): 9:20am On Oct 09, 2013
Hope still dey..
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by kwAzzIEkEEd(m): 9:21am On Oct 09, 2013
Oh God! Help me!! Ah don dey old!!! BTW..3rd to comment
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 09, 2013
Useless bunch of arrogant foolz...
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by jagudaswag170(m): 9:23am On Oct 09, 2013
ASUU continue,at least am getting fat at home,ntning lik home made food!!!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by wrench: 9:25am On Oct 09, 2013
jagudaswag170: ASUU continue,at least am getting fat at home,ntning lik home made food!!!
ur ambition remain one bar. grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 09, 2013
The church should not be used as a political tool.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Slizbeat(m): 9:26am On Oct 09, 2013
hijacke: wen two arrogant people are fightin, dnt attempt to break it up, u wil only harm urself. i rily want to knw d limit ASUU can go wit dis strike witout any intervention nd pay.

My brother, that is my stand too. If all students will bear it and lets face this thing once and for all.
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by double3(m): 9:27am On Oct 09, 2013
I thinks its bout time we ignore ASUU,let's see how long they can carry on with this industrial action. I see no reason why they can't accept the offer on the table if fo nothing at least fo th sake of there students.
Change can't happen overnight,if they are fighting fo change as they claim they should know its a gradual process.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Slizbeat(m): 9:28am On Oct 09, 2013
Abimloaded: Hahahahahahahaha... nothing that ends with ''N'' is good. All are bad. Examples:-JONATHAN, MTN, PHCN,

Even NIGERIAN, POLITICIAN………cheesy

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 09, 2013
Wetin concern Bishops and ASUU? The matter should be settled between the fvcker n the fvkee,not the person that sold the bed on which the act was perpetrated! Am I making sense at all Abeg,I'v stil got a Hangover from last night's 'parolez'...#Mtcheew! embarassed embarassed

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by michealade(m): 9:30am On Oct 09, 2013
jagudaswag170: ASUU continue,at least am getting fat at home,ntning lik home made food!!!
see nigeria student...chai!u no kno say too much fat dey kill person abi,i piti u
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by premlove(m): 9:30am On Oct 09, 2013
ASSU pls continue we are not tired of staying at home. This is the sacrifice we need to pay for having useless leader
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by SalC: 9:36am On Oct 09, 2013
May God help Nigerian students. SMH
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Eracee: 9:36am On Oct 09, 2013
Gooluck Ebele Jonathan said it has taken a political colouration.ASUU says the pple in governance are not sincere.we d student are nw saying pls call d strike off.is this fight not bcs of us?ASUU 4get about infrastructure and let's go back 2 school,morever we av been managing and we will keep on wit it.

5 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by maggdon(m): 9:37am On Oct 09, 2013
D only reason i want ASUU to continue is if dey wnt shift ground.. We re ready to stay @home till dey meet d demands coz i dnt want to resume now nd sum wks to my graduation dey will say dey re goin on strike again... Coz na 1yr remain for me oo
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Nobody: 9:37am On Oct 09, 2013
Abimloaded: Hahahahahahahaha... nothing that ends with ''N'' is good. All are bad. Examples:-JONATHAN, MTN, PHCN,
mohamedan must be very bad and full of EVIL-wat a pity
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by LajaLaba: 9:42am On Oct 09, 2013
Man,woman?
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by xest(m): 9:43am On Oct 09, 2013
wetin mak jonathaN. Bad? Tak ur time cos he is ur leader.
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by LMAyedun(m): 9:45am On Oct 09, 2013
Na dem sabi... whenever they like they shuld call off the strike.
I'm tired of the whole ASUU stories sef.
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by peter1994(m): 9:45am On Oct 09, 2013
.well i heard Mr president sayin "R.Doctors n ASUU strike would end Soon"
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by agrovick(m): 9:45am On Oct 09, 2013
Ok
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by arewatech(m): 9:46am On Oct 09, 2013
Abeg I need free cheat for 2go on iPhone shocked

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 09, 2013
prem love: ASSU pls continue we are not tired of staying at home. This is the sacrifice we need to pay for having useless leader

Eediot, u think everyone is ready to play with their future like you. Speak for yourself.
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by tobechi74: 10:01am On Oct 09, 2013
At least catholic has atteempted. What about protestant? What haas muslims done about it?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by prettyaura: 10:06am On Oct 09, 2013
greatest nigerian students!!!! ASUU is nt after our welfare..its obvious they are after their own selfish reasons...may God punish dem n their families fr dis unhumane behaviour..amen!!!

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Efewestern: 10:10am On Oct 09, 2013
Wat ASUU is doing is nt really good! We need to pray Rosary upon diz issue!
Buh i'av nobody to start it wit me if nt i want to really do it!
Only God can intervene in diz issue...
Re: ASUU Strike: Catholic Bishops' Intervention Fails by Samgreguc(m): 10:11am On Oct 09, 2013
shachris: The church should not be used as a political tool.
and how has the church bin used as a political tool here?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Studying Medicine And Surgery In Benue State University. / 7 Things You Should Know About NOUN- National Open University Of Nigeria. / Lecturers, Parents Reject Drug Test For Bauchi University Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.