Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,282 members, 7,860,659 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:54 PM

British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! (1112 Views)

Tobacco Company Fined $23.6 Billion In US / North Korean Parents 'Eat Their Children' In Famine-hit State / Incredible! Somalian Radio Gives Out Weapons To Children As Prizes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by superman(m): 10:08pm On Jul 01, 2008
Due to tight recent restrictions and concessions in american and european market, your honourable granny white man has once again show its true colour. Smoking in public places is prohibited almost everywhere in west europe while most of yall in ajegule smoking on top of your okada ride feeling good ha. if you wana smoke in nigeria, stay in house and do it, smoke to your death if you u want, and aslo kill your children if you want too.

British-american tobacco have target millions in nigeria,malawi and co, whereby children as young as 11 are smoking cigerette in malawi!

im sure the appologist will help me out on this one, kolojun oya talk now.
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by Dakore(f): 10:51pm On Jul 01, 2008
lol. I won't be surprised.
same people pushed opium on the Chinese and caused a large percentage of them to be dependent on drugs.
same people bought slaves from the shores of Africa knowing what a heartless thing it is.

some people would just do anything for money. marketing and humanity are two different things for them.
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by superman(m): 12:44am On Jul 02, 2008
yes dakore

just waitin, what will come out of this one. ha next they telling me IMF wana help out nigeria, never mind MUgabe they shouldnt be lendin abacha monster in the first place money, oh i forget Abacha"one of them political dead monkie"  didnt take the lands from the whiteman hahhhhhah oh well ! neither did he said to British goverment to go and hang 10 thousand times

appologist talk to me now, i can see yall ha

hey u fine well well ooo if na u dey for that profile! na woo human being ha! holla h
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by Blatant: 10:32am On Jul 02, 2008
I saw a documentary last night on what BAT is doing in Africa with regards to recruiting our youths to take up smoking. It's sad that Africa is the place where these goats of multinationals chose to make profits at the expense of human lives; things they wont do in their land.
What exactly are Africans themselves and their politicians doing about these kind of rubbish?
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by Sagamite(m): 4:25pm On Jul 02, 2008
They used similar techniques that attracted young people to smoke in the UK and other Western countries.

Until the governments stopped them.

So why can't your government do the same?

Does BAT control your Executive and Parliament?

Keep blaming your failures and problems in life on the whiteman and wonder why you don't progress.
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by Sagamite(m): 4:30pm On Jul 02, 2008
Dakore:

lol. I won't be surprised.
same people pushed opium on the Chinese and caused a large percentage of them to be dependent on drugs.
same people bought slaves from the shores of Africa knowing what a heartless thing it is.

some people would just do anything for money. marketing and humanity are two different things for them.

And your own people won't do anything for money?

They wouldn't send young, unprotected Edo girls as street postitutes in Italy for money?

They wouldn't kill each other for rituals to be rich?

They wouldn't carry the public treasury to Switzerland while the locals are dying of easily cured diseases?

Sorry, I forgot, you are the better race.
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by Sagamite(m): 4:32pm On Jul 02, 2008
You open your gob to bash white people as evil at every opportunity but if white people did the same on their own forum, you will scream RACISM.
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On Jul 02, 2008
Sagamite:

You open your gob to bash white people as evil at every opportunity but if white people did the same on their own forum, you will scream RACISM.

right on!!
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by manmustwac(m): 6:22pm On Jul 02, 2008
@post
i saw the program lastnight on bbc 2 the things they do to promote their cigarettes in Mauritius Gambia and Nigeria they can never try here.

There was a man who smoked 20 cigs a day but never told his girlfriend or relatives coz he knew it was wrong. The girlfriend eventually foundout when he won the equivalent of £4'000 {100 thousand naira} in a cigaratte promotion. Now coz he had won so much money his girlfriend and his relatives forgave him for smoking cigarettes which can cause lung disease, heart disease or cancer.

The doh go contribute his death
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by SeanT21(f): 2:18am On Jul 03, 2008
why are u blaming them. Every kid have a parent. Why cant the parent control them.
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by Blatant: 1:11pm On Jul 10, 2008
SeanT21:

why are u blaming them. Every kid have a parent. Why can't the parent control them.

Control who? Kids dont get controlled here. . . they control their parents
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by lucabrasi(m): 2:37pm On Jul 10, 2008
im one for sticking up for my country but for goodness sake why cant they put a stop to it!!why would a government in nigeria allow a tobacco company to set up in nigeria in an era when everyone knows the danger of tobacco smoking,and ill keep on saying it and will repeat it now that why cant u the poster direct your anger at the tobacco company by way of a petition and then maybe get ppl to do the same on here??we dont have to blame the west for everything that happens when we can be proactive and practical with solutions
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by Kobojunkie: 5:21pm On Jul 10, 2008
There is always be one thing or another around the corner to harm people. It is up to parents to train their kids and warn them of danger.
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by toshmann(m): 6:55pm On Jul 10, 2008
it's a sad thing that these guys will import and encourage the rise of smoking on a largely impoverished and ignorant population group like malawian children/sub-saharan african children. this is so so so pathetic. they are cashing in on the lawlessness of these vulnerable groups to enrich themselves. no moral restrictions in their quest to increase their already vast ill-gotten wealth.

however, no matter how much we blame these dudes, we cannot over-emphasize the responsibility or otherwise of our own local authorities. . . govt/parents etc.

even if our parents are illiterates/unexposed, how about the govt/bureaucrats/proffessionals who know better. what in God's name are they doing. how much money can this business bring to the poor economies compared to how much waste and poverty that can result when the health effects decend

shame
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by JustGood(m): 4:50pm On Jul 11, 2008
we allow stupid leaders to rule us in Africa and they just accept whatever gets thrown at them from abroad
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by Mustay(m): 4:58pm On Jul 11, 2008
How many children have parents?

How many children have educated parents?

How many children live with their parents?

It's our Selfish leaders (some who do not smoke at all) that 'll explore such 'business opportunities'

Remember how much the BAT in south western cost despite NAFDAC's fight
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by Blatant: 4:18pm On Jul 22, 2008
Kobojunkie:

There is always be one thing or another around the corner to harm people. It is up to parents to train their kids and warn them of danger.

please come and tell us in UK cheesy
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by Pataki: 4:35pm On Jul 22, 2008
I was at Schipol Airport some weeks back, and over the Public Address System, it was repeatedly stated that, no smoking is allowed around Schipol Airport. If you are caught you pay a fine of 60 Euros.

I have a friend in Nigeria, his own father is a chain smoker, my friend's immediate elder brother is a senior chain smoker, my friend himself, is the grand patron of smoking. All of them, living a useless and reckless life right under the same roof. The mother has left the house for them.

I watched the documentary on BBC, on what BAT is doing wrecking lives in Malawi, the advertising strategy in Nigeria and the dangerous effect of smoking to human beings. It is a pity that our own Government is blinded by the money they make from these Organizations. The Ministry of Health is practically useless when it comes to this matter.

I am not of the opinion that it has to be the West, that will come and fix this problem for us, rather we have to collectively fight this nasty menace eating into our youth.
Re: British-America Tobacco Selling Cigerette To Children In Africa! by pleep(m): 12:09am On May 07, 2011
As the Op predicted the silly appologists came out in full force. Obviously the government is most culpable in this matter, but people have a right to critcize foreigners who come into their countries and sell cancer sticks to kids. Just because my neighbors door is unlocked do I have the right to rob him blind? Or just because 'shaniqua' is a bad parents does that give a 'white man' the right to sell her kids ciggaretes?
I understand that is time for Africans to stop complaining about racism and colonialism etc. But it's self hating apologist morons that let all that stuff happen in the first place.

(1) (Reply)

China Executes Female Drug Smuggler Today: Someone Please Tell Baba Suwe. / 48hrs After MELCOM Mall Tragedy…voices Can Still Be Heard Under Rubble / ISIS: Is Former Israeli IDF Officer Behind Fake Videos Of Beheadings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.