Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,717 members, 7,955,691 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:59 PM

Through My Eyes - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Through My Eyes (730 Views)

Poem: When I Closed My Eyes / Through My Eyes Project For Nigerian Photograhers And Creative Writers / ~~Memories Of The War Through My eyes~~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Through My Eyes by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 10, 2013
This is my 1st ever attempt at a story, though I've done bits poetry in the past.

If you are going to steal this and reproduce elsewhere, at least have the decency to credit me. I can't be arsed to find or sue you- so let your conscience be your judge- and if you have no conscience, nothing do you still. grin

Alright, here goes nothing.
Re: Through My Eyes by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 10, 2013
"...You are a Loner...Marijuana and Endorphins make you Stronger..." -Kendrick Lamar(ADHD)

It's hard to imagine War as a murderous entity, but that's exactly what it is.

An organic amorphous entity that craves blood, and cares not whose blood it is- the fresh blood of the innocent child is just as tasty to War as the fluid that flows through the black heart of the paedophile.

War wanted our blood- In the dusty harmattan in Bornu state. It's fingers caressed our faces as we patrolled the dusty streets of Damboa town.

It remained awake while we slept fitfully and in terror, watching us with its many eyes, and licking its many lips in anticipation.

Sometimes it lunged for all of us, sometimes it missed, sometimes it got one of us, but War is patient, it knew it it would get us all in the end.

And when we were transferred seventy kilometres east to Maiduguri, War followed-inseminating itself with a stream of machine gun fire, reproducing and rebirthing itself in the staccato barks of automatic fire, and the concussive blasts of IEDs.

By June, War had consumed thousands of people. Their bodies littered the streets. It's greed and non-discriminatory nature left behind a trail of rotten corpses- Men,Women,Children,Dogs,Goats, Trees. War took them all.

And as we crouched behind cover, with bullets crashing into the dirt around us, I heard the seductive voice of war call out to me.

And at that point, I didn't really care anymore.

To Be Continued
Re: Through My Eyes by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 11, 2013
"There's a War going on outside we ain't safe from, I feel the pain in my city wherever I go"
- Kanye West(Murder to Excellence)

Huddled next to me, Chuks lit up a cigarette, puffed on it and passed it to me. His trembling hands betrayed his fear even though his face wore a brave expression.

Further down to our right, Seargent Jerry was bunkered behind a burnt out car, his AK47 spitting out round after round into the darkness in front of us with a demented smile on his face. Sarge Jerry was always mad.

The rumour was that once upon a time, Sarge Jerry had been a school teacher in a school for mentally challenged children. Instead of making a positive effect on the children, it appears the collective insanity affected him instead- he was fired for beating up the headmaster who reprimanded him for smoking... In class.

He promptly joined the military and after successful tours with ECOMOG in Liberia and Sierra Leone, he had made a name for himself for bravery in battle.Highly decorated, Jez as he called himself, was the Soldier's Soldier. Even the higher ranked looked up to him.
Re: Through My Eyes by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 11, 2013
"You're moving backwards if you suggest that you sleep with a Tec(tech-9), go get a chopper(AK47) and have a doctor on speed dial I guess" -MC Eiht(M.A.A.D City)

Sarge Jerry turned his mad eyes towards me. "Suppressing Fire" he barked. "I'm going forward".

I peered over the low wall, I was crouched behind. There was no cover between our position and the house where the insurgent fighters were shooting from- about a hundred metres away.

The Sarge was clearly bonkers, then again we all were accepting this mission.

The week before, Boko Haram had raided a section of the city in a 3 hour rampage that had left a murderous trail of corpses, mostly women and children- Some beheaded, many burnt beyond recognition.

As fate would have it, this section of the city was the old stomping ground of a big wig in Abuja.

He was all over TV, jowls a-quiver, threatening fire and brimstone and spouting some rhetoric about justice.

Yeye dey smell.
Re: Through My Eyes by Nobody: 9:07am On Oct 11, 2013
"I'm riding round my city with my hand strapped to my toast, cos these niggas want me dead...and I gotta make it back home" -Meek Millz(Dreams & Nightmares)

This Politician was known to be a master criminal, carting off the contents of public treasury to far away Swiss Vaults, and was suspected to be behind a lot of the political assassinations in Northern Nigeria.

Pressure was applied at the top, and soldiers poured out the pipeline at the bottom.

The plan was to launch a heavy offensive on Bulabulin Ngarnam, a suburb of Maiduguri that was a major stronghold of the insurgents. They had already established Sharia law, and were bunkered down solidly there.

My squad,3rd Infantry Battalion aka the Red Cobras was enroute the Army base in Monguno to join up with 8 infantry Division, when our convoy was ambushed.

The APC leading the convoy was blown up by a huge roadside IED. The blast was huge and the shockwave reverberated down the rest of the convoy.

Even before the blown up wreck of the APC had hit the floor, we came under heavy fire from the right sideof the road. Camouflaged as roadside fruit vendors, the insurgents were waiting for us.
Re: Through My Eyes by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 11, 2013
"When my time comes, Forget the wrong that I've done, Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed..." - LinkinPark (Leave Out All The Rest)

I hit the deck and started crawling out of our APC. As soon as I got out the door, I was splattered with the brains of the gunner in the machine gun nest atop the APC.

Shouts of Allahu Akbar mixed with Heavy automatic fire filled the air. In about ten minutes, we were completely overrun. Most of my colleagues lay dead or dying. I was sure I was going to die.

"Pssst! Saheed!" Someone hissed at me. Chuks was in a ditch 60 yards away. "Saheed sharply! Come here!"

I peeked around the APC behind me. The insurgents were now walking amongst the bodies, finishing off any survivors. I froze petrified in fear.

I willed myself to move, but I couldn't.
Chuks hissed again. "Saheed!"

"SAHEED!!!"

To Be Continued
Re: Through My Eyes by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 11, 2013
"...The Church thinks I'm destined for hell, Oh well... Blood tears off the face of my Jesus Piece, As bloodshed fills the cracks of my city's streets..." -The Game(See No Evil)

A bullet thudded into a body a few yards away. It screamed.He had been playing dead. From my Hiding spot behind the tire of the APC, I saw one the attackers walk calmly to the bleeding soldier and slit his throat. It was Corporal Mohammed, a guy I had played cards with at the officers mess.

Adrenaline kicked in, and I propelled myself towards the ditch and Chuks- half- running, half-crawling till I dived in.

I was surprised to find the Sarge was also in the ditch. He put his finger to his lips to silence me, and gestured that I lay flat in the deep foul smelling water inside the ditch.

There we lay quietly , all three of us neck deep in the black water with our hearts in our mouth. Waiting for our attackers to leave, Waiting to be discovered, Waiting to live, Waiting to die.

As the day turned to night, I risked a quick look, and saw the attackers were camped at the site. They seemed to be in no hurry, and appeared to be waiting for something, or someone

After what seemed like forever, we heard the sound of vehicles approaching. I wanted to jump out and warn the passengers of the impending doom.

Sarge noticed this and gripped my forearm tightly with one hand, and flashed his large dagger in his other.

I got the message straight away. If I was to attract any attention to us, Sarge would kill me himself. He was mad enough to do it so I stayed put.
Re: Through My Eyes by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 11, 2013
"...Run from the police, Picture that, I'm too fat, I fvck around and get asthma attack, that's why I buss back..." -Notorious B.I.G (Runnin')

We heard a great commotion, I felt pity in my heart for the unfortunate souls that had to run into these bandits.

But after about ten minutes, we still hadn't heard the expected gunshots or cries for help.

Peeping over the edge, we discovered that the vehicles we had heard were transporting what seemed to be a Boko Haram commander and his bodyguards.

I could see a tall thin man with bloodshot eyes stood in the midst of the fighters giving orders. He stayed for about twenty minutes and then drove off with his convoy.

The majority of our attackers hopped in all our APCs but one, leaving a contingent of about 10 fighters behind.

Soon we began to smell roasted meat, and my stomach squirmed in hunger. I hadn't eaten anything all day, and was badly craving a cigarette.

Peeping out again, I saw the source of the delicious smell- they had set the bodies of the dead on fire.

I recoiled in disgust, remembering the feeling of hunger I had felt when the smell first hit.

Then I noticed one of the insurgents walking towards the ditch in our direction. I sunk lower into the ditch and signalled to Chuks and Sarge, praying he wasn't coming our way.

But he was. I heard his footsteps come all the way to the edge, heard the sound of a fly unzipping, and felt the hot stream of urine cascading over my head.....

To Be Continued

1 Like

Re: Through My Eyes by Nobody: 6:57pm On Nov 13, 2013
"Real Nigga whaddup? If you ain't about that murder game,then Pusssy Nigga shut up" -Meek Mill (Dreams & Nightmares)

As the steaming fluid rolled down my face, I saw Sarge edging closer along the the side, knife unsheathed.

In a flash, the knife was flying through the air, and the Sarge was rising with it to catch the body.

In less than a minute, the insurgent lay dead in the ditch, with a massive hole in his throat where the Sarge's knife had gone in.

Quiet and efficient in deadliness, Sarge was showing why he had garnered a reputation for instant violence.

I was so shocked at his speed and efficiency at killing that I forgot I was completely covered in terrorist pee.

We had to act fast. The dead man's colleagues would notice that he was taking too long.

Sarge decided the action plan quickly. Our only hope was to get to the remaining APC and its mounted machine gun.

Chuks and I were to create a diversion while Sarge snuck into the Armored vehicle.

My heart was pounding. I was fully aware that this was a suicidal attempt. The insurgents had superior numbers and from the sounds of their gunshots, superior weapons. How were we going to pull it off? Was I really ready to die? What if....

"You go smoke Igbo?"

Sarge was offering me a joint. Even under pressure, the man had no qualms rolling up and getting high. This man's madness no get part two!

Luckily the smell from the burning bodies masked the pungent smell of marijuana.
I took the joint and took a couple of deep drags. As the familiar haze of cannabis hit my system, I heard the insurgents calling out to their dead colleague.

I passed the joint to Chuks to finish off.

We checked our clips and took off safety. Sarge was wiping his knife on the dead man's shirt. Chuks had a look of grim determination on his face.

It was time.

(1) (Reply)

The Wreath For Udomo. By Peter Abraham / A Short Story......... Fantastic Friday / The Lie That Calmed The Soul

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.