Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,647 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:41 AM

Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank (21622 Views)

20 Signs Of Weak Iman (Faith) in a Muslim / How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? / She's A Christian,am A Muslim. Can This Marriage Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by tbaba1234: 4:43am On Oct 11, 2013
DMainMan: @ all, thanks for your comments, I appreciate. May Allah guide us aright. Amin.

@maclatunji and deols, please move to front page. I am having opposing views here. I need more people to comment.

But Alhamdullilah, before d tendency of me accepting d offer was 40% but now it has gone down to 35% all thanks to your contribution.

However, I still need more comments. I need to make informed decision.

Em, I don't think you need more comments. Infact, the post by Mac was enough. Front page will only get you confused, not help you make an 'informed' decision.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 11, 2013
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by tbaba1234: 6:33am On Oct 11, 2013
Let me be clear.

My post seemly points out that there are more complicated scenarios. The commercial bank is not a complicated scenario, it is actually quite straightforward. They deal strictly with Riba. The revenue is Riba. Everything about it is Riba.

I simply pointed out that even regular companies are affected by Riba even though their revenue is not primarily from Riba. Where is the line drawn?

The best thing is to avoid.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by bashorunbazok: 7:00am On Oct 11, 2013
DMainMan: Salam'alaekum my fellow Muslim brothers and sisters. Can a Muslim work in bank. I know that benefiting from interest is haram.

I checked online sources as it was pinpointed that working in bank is haram. Although, some other website said one can work there as the interest God is talking of is not related to banking.

I also asked one of my Alfa and he said it isnt ok to work in bank that i should try to avoid but said one can work there based on one"s intention. One of which is that you are working to gain and learn experience so that u will add value to Islamic banking. Non-muslims are working in Islamic banks as they are more qualified and experienced. He also said if one is unemployed, one can go there for the time being but continue to search for other ones and leave even if the salary is lesser. He must go there with dat intention and constantly seek forgiveness.

I am kind of confused o. I av a very big decision to make. Just got a job offer in a bank having applied two years ago when seriously job searching then but was not even aware it is a commercial bank (Interest-seeking) cos de didnt mention the name. I had even forgotten but to my dismay, i got an offer letter. I av been so perplexed. Some advise me to go to training school to learn and withdraw but ethically I think it is bad. But is it wrong based on my intention of not wanting to work in a place that promote interest?

I resigned from my previous job to pursue a full-time Masters degree currently. This ASSU strike is not even helping matters at all.

Technically, I am now unemployed. My previous job salary was very small. As a man, who intends getting married soonest and catering for expenses, I av to move on for better opportunity. I cant allow my wife-to-be suffer wink.

This bank offer salary is mesmerizing tongue. It is only few multinational companies that can pay it. Should I take it and risk sins upon sins as usury was mentioned quite upon numbers in the Holy Quran. Or is halal due to my circumstance and accept d offer den b a real man, marry and cater for my expenses in dis dunya and d deen. Working in d bank could also affect my Masters as there is two years bondage if I leave or risk paying two million naira. I heard ASSU strike could b on till next year.

It is hard staying at home with nothing to do. There are no job opportunities as before. I have tried other options in getting but to no avail

Please advise notably based on Islamic point of view. I have five days to decide. D decision I take could determine my future. U can also send me a mail to "dmainman@yahoo.com" for islamic resources concerning working in a bank.

Jazakhallahukhairan as I anticipate ur contribution.
My bro in the deen, my strong advise for you is to let go the offer.I know it is quite tempting, very tempting.However, your creator has something better in stock for u.
I am also in d job hunt too.Despite the dearth of job openings, I still maintain my job search criteria.I have never applied to any banking institution, brewery, and even tobacco manufacturing companies. I am confident I would have secured a job in any of those(insha Allah), if I was actually applying to them.I studied engineering, and I made a very good grade from it in one of naija's top schools.My philosophy has always been that " no matter how terrible the economy of the jungle is,Lions will never feed on grass". I am still seriously searching but I have opted for a small halal means that keeps me busy.
See, Akhi, the mouth watering offer u are talking about is ephemeral. How would u feel if u bring up ur family with an haram means.Would u be very confident to pray to him who had instructed u to stay away from such? Again , what if you die in the course of your haram banking career(I pray u live long)? How would u explain to ur creator? Do u know the punishment involved in benefiting from usury?...Allah said such person should prepare to fight war with him.Are u ready for that?
There were times I had all it takes to pursue a career at Goldman Sachs,It was dis fear that made me back out. Weigh the worldly benefits and compare it with the punishments of the hereafter. Weigh the duration our stay here on earth and that of the hereafter.I think if u ponder on all this, u would be able to decide....this is just my one cent.
You can, however, go with other people's opinion of accepting the offer sha,if ur Iman can't withstand it.But what I have written above is purely my own Islamic view about it.

Salam Alaykum ya akhi

7 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by tomi57: 9:14am On Oct 11, 2013
Salam alaikum, brothers & sisters in Islam,
I also got this union bank offer, & after going through this trend I've lost interest on going to the training school. Cos even the 2M bond I think is unislamic. Since when I received the offer I keep asking myself why did dis offer come with a 2 year bond or 2M? What if after training something better come your way? cos I know all of us including myself have been applying for different jobs.
In my case I've applied for a lecturing job in different universities but this ASUU strike is delaying things, pls Brothers & sister in Islam I need your advise, should I take the banking job which I have to sign a bond or wait for ASUU to call off the strike and see what will happen.
Thanks in anticipation of your advice. @DMainman thanks for starting this thread.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by deols(f): 9:46am On Oct 11, 2013
See this as a test. May Allah provide you a better source of income.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 10:11am On Oct 11, 2013
deols: See this as a test. May Allah provide you a better source of income.

Amin. @deols. I still believe u guys should put dis thread in front page to help oda Muslim Union bank hopefuls from not joining Haram job.

Alhamdullilah, I av finally decided am not taking it. InshaAlllah, tomi57 wont also.

But wot about oda Muslims dat are not aware that working in Interest related ventures e.g Commercial bank is haram.

Make dem aware soonest as de will soon make decision. Once de accept, de wont b able to rescind d dere decision after 2 years or risk paying 2 million naira.

Dis is an opportunity for d whole world to know dat Muslims shouldnt work in such organisation.

Forget about people misinforming. Any serious muslim dat read d first and second page will gladly want to opt out.

It is all about awareness. Preach d truth to d world. Save oda Muslims.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 10:12am On Oct 11, 2013
deols: See this as a test. May Allah provide you a better source of income.

Amin. @deols. I still believe u guys should put dis thread in front page to help oda Muslim Union bank hopefuls from not joining Haram job.

Alhamdullilah, I av finally decided am not taking it. InshaAlllah, tomi57 wont also.

But wot about oda Muslims dat are not aware that working in Interest related ventures e.g Commercial bank is haram.

Make dem aware soonest as de will soon make decision. Once de accept, de wont b able to rescind d dere decision after 2 years or risk paying 2 million naira.

Dis is an opportunity for d whole world to know dat Muslims shouldnt work in such organisation.

Forget about people misinforming. Any serious muslim dat read d first and second page will gladly want to opt out.

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 10:14am On Oct 11, 2013
bashorunbazok:
My bro in the deen, my strong advise for you is to let go offer.I know it is quite tempting, very tempting.However, your creator has something better in stock for u.
I am also in d job hunt too.Despite the dearth of job openings, I still maintain my job search criteria.I have never applied to any banking institution, brewery, and even tobacco manufacturing companies. I am confident I would have secured a job in any of those(insha Allah), if I was actually applying to them.I studied engineering, and I made a very good grade from it in one of naija's top schools.My philosophy has always been that " no matter how terrible the economy of the jungle is,Lions will never feed on grass". I am still seriously searching but I have opted for a small halal means that keeps me busy.
See, Akhi, the mouth watering offer u are talking about is ephemeral. How would u feel if u bring up ur family with an haram means.Would u be very confident to pray to him who had instructed u to stay away from such? Again , what if you die in the course of your haram banking career(I pray u live long)? How would u explain to ur creator? Do u know the punishment involved in benefiting from usury?...Allah said such person should prepare to fight war with him.Are u ready for that?
There were times I had all it takes to pursue a career at Goldman Sachs,It was dis fear that made me back out. Weigh the worldly benefits and compare it with the punishments of the hereafter. Weigh the duration our stay here on earth and that of the hereafter.I think if u ponder on all this, u would be able to decide....this is just my one cent.
You can, however, go with other people's opinion of accepting the offer sha,if ur Iman can't withstand it.But what I have written above is purely my own Islamic view about it.

Salam Alaykum ya akhi

Thanks. I will not accept d offer. May ALLAH help us. Amin
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by tellwisdom: 10:21am On Oct 11, 2013
What do you mean, interest seeking bank??
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by miftah: 10:21am On Oct 11, 2013
Pls my bros, u can`t wok there. dont b deceive
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by 3ace(m): 10:22am On Oct 11, 2013
That poverty nefa bite well well.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by begwong: 10:23am On Oct 11, 2013
Let me refer most of the Muslim staff wey i know in all the banks to this thread,so that they can resign make others get job do biko tongue

3 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Built2last: 10:23am On Oct 11, 2013
I intend to write an article in the nearest future titled "The hypocrisy of Islam" here's why. If you travel up north they preach sharia by mouth but their actions are contrary. They ban alcohol and forbid anywhere it is sold but nobody drinks it like them.

On a larger scale, Nigeria is a secular state with companies like Nigerian breweries producing Star, Gulder etc. BAT, British American Tobacco. All these companies pay their tax to the federal purse and in turn the fed govt disburse the fund to all states. If Liquor or tobacco is banned up north in the name of sharia. why does your state governmnets collect money from the federal purse. are they claiming ignorance of the fact that Liquor and tobacco is one of the highest tax paying sectors of our economy and this money is shared to their states. Here they are again advicing a jobless fellow to ignore opportunities in the name of religion.

7 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 10:24am On Oct 11, 2013
tomi57: Salam alaikum, brothers & sisters in Islam,
I also got this union bank offer, & after going through this trend I've lost interest on going to the training school. Cos even the 2M bond I think is unislamic. Since when I received the offer I keep asking myself why did dis offer come with a 2 year bond or 2M? What if after training something better come your way? cos I know all of us including myself have been applying for different jobs.
In my case I've applied for a lecturing job in different universities but this ASUU strike is delaying things, pls Brothers & sister in Islam I need your advise, should I take the banking job which I have to sign a bond or wait for ASUU to call off the strike and see what will happen.
Thanks in anticipation of your advice. @DMainman thanks for starting this thread.

@tomi57. Let us not join. Lets c it as a test. Dis world is just a test for us Muslims as Paradise is our abode InshaAllah when we die.

U wil av to sign d bond before training. Wat if de say everyone was successful in d training, u cant back out as u wil pay 2Million. U ar even lucky my lady as u av anoda opportunity.

Send me your email to: dmainman@yahoo.com so we could help one anoda.

May Allah guide us aright.Amin
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 10:26am On Oct 11, 2013
Built2last: I intend to write an article in the nearest future titled "The hypocrisy of Islam" here's why. If you travel up north they preach sharia by mouth but their actions are contrary. They ban alcohol and forbid anywhere it is sold but nobody drinks it like them.

On a larger scale, Nigeria is a secular state with companies like Nigerian breweries producing Star, Gulder etc. BAT, British American Tobacco. All these companies pay their tax to the federal purse and in turn the fed govt disburse the fund to all states. If Liquor or tobacco is banned up north in the name of sharia. why does your state governmnets collect money from the federal purse. are they claiming ignorance of the fact that Liquor and tobacco is one of the highest tax paying sectors of our economy and this money is shared to their states. Here they are again advicing a jobless fellow to ignore opportunities in the name of religion.

Islam is against all dose vices. Muslims are not expected to work there.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 10:28am On Oct 11, 2013
tbaba1234: Let me be clear.

My post seemly points out that there are more complicated scenarios. The commercial bank is not a complicated scenario, it is actually quite straightforward. They deal strictly with Riba. The revenue is Riba. Everything about it is Riba.

I simply pointed out that even regular companies are affected by Riba even though their revenue is not primarily from Riba. Where is the line drawn?

The best thing is to avoid.

I will. Thanks. Am grateful
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by deols(f): 10:34am On Oct 11, 2013
DMainMan:

ma sha Allah. May Allah reward you
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Built2last: 10:34am On Oct 11, 2013
DMainMan:

Islam is against all dose vices. Muslims are not expected to work there.

so why does your state governments collect money from the federal purse where these companies pay tax into, build roads with it and you drive on it. dont you know its evil money according Islam.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by deols(f): 10:36am On Oct 11, 2013
Built2last: I intend to write an article in the nearest future titled "The hypocrisy of Islam" here's why. If you travel up north they preach sharia by mouth but their actions are contrary. They ban alcohol and forbid anywhere it is sold but nobody drinks it like them.

Are you not just contradicting yourself?

If we ask the guy not to take the job, does that not tell you that we are trying our best to keep away?

We can not be perfect but will try to be.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Epiphany(m): 10:40am On Oct 11, 2013
I am not a muslim but this is an interesting thread. I don't want to judge anyone, but people like Fola Adeola, Kola Abiola, Sanusi (CBN Governor) and other high ranking muslims who own banks or have been top officials in banks comes to mind. It will be nice for someone who has links to them to ask them this kind of question. . . . esp someone like Sanusi. I hear he is an Islamic scholar of some sort so he should be able to provide a very good answer.

As for me, I am a bit amused myself. My own question will be for muslims (and even christians), if you decide to follow the Quran (or bible) to the letter, you will just end up sitting at home doing nothing. There are just too many rules to follow and if you really decide to follow them to the letter, it will be hard living in this world and doing business with anyone

4 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by ow11(m): 10:47am On Oct 11, 2013
From my point of view, It doesn't look like as complicated as some of the other examples shared.

I am quite certain that the OP will not work for a brewery, piggery or vineyard. So he should steer clear of a commercial bank. It is quite unfair that a lot of Nigerians hated the idea of an Islamic bank.

As an aside, Do Muslims generally use current accounts in our banks?
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Kei144(m): 10:52am On Oct 11, 2013
Jobs in interest-seeking banks are for Christians. Muslims keep off!

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by sojnaija(m): 10:54am On Oct 11, 2013
Mallam Lamido Sanusi and many other "muslims" were once staff of FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA..
Folawiyo and many other baba-Adinni's of Nigeria are shareholders of Commercial banks.
Platinum-Habib bank was co-owned by muslim families...
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Epiphany(m): 10:55am On Oct 11, 2013
Kei144: Jobs in interest-seeking banks are for Christians. Muslims keep off!

. . . . my broda, even if you wan follow christianity, you are not supposed to charge interest from your brother, if you loan him any money.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Originalsly: 11:00am On Oct 11, 2013
What is different in an Islamic Bank?....Are they not operating on interest too?
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 11:03am On Oct 11, 2013
deols:

ma sha Allah. May Allah reward you

And u too. Amin
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Segadem(m): 11:04am On Oct 11, 2013
Kei144: Jobs in interest-seeking banks are for Christians. Muslims keep off!
Holier than thou altitude!
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Segadem(m): 11:08am On Oct 11, 2013
@op You will be surprised that many that advised not to take the job will accept it with their both arms.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Richy4(m): 11:12am On Oct 11, 2013
I'm just wondering if I read this post correctly. so there is no Muslim that studied or is studying Banking and finance in Nigeria or in the whole world because it is Ha-ram course
I still have loads of nonsense to learn and hear in this world.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by maclatunji: 11:13am On Oct 11, 2013
soj-naija:
Mallam Lamido Sanusi and many other "muslims" were once staff of FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA..
Folawiyo and many other baba-Adinni's of Nigeria are shareholders of Commercial banks.
Platinum-Habib bank was co-owned by muslim families...

That these individuals are involved in conventional banking does not make it acceptable according to Islamic rules. Islam is distinct from what any individual does.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nairalander At Arafat ( Hajj) With His Dad. / The Woman Is Married For Four Reasons / China Bans Ramadan Fasting In Xinjiang

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.