Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,325 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

2010 Valentine Day Reminiscence: A Walk Through Love Street - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 2010 Valentine Day Reminiscence: A Walk Through Love Street (597 Views)

A Walk To Remember / Short Story: A Walk Through Love Street – Series 2. / Take A Walk. Nid Ur Comments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2010 Valentine Day Reminiscence: A Walk Through Love Street by Appswheel(m): 4:29pm On Oct 10, 2013
At 8:00pm on the night of Feb 13, 2010 I laid on my bed (I was an undergraduate at that time). After lying down for about 45 minutes, sleep refused to take its course. I picked up my world receiver and tuned to Unilorin FM

The programme on air was about Valentine’s Day. It was quite interesting, people called in to express their opinion about the day, how they intend to spend it. Each call was followed by a cool love song. I remember listening to “Stay with You” by John Legend and Abike, a song by two Unilorin undergraduates.

I listened to the different opinion aired by the callers; most centered on the relationship that exists between a Man and Woman. Many said they will spend time with their lovers; take them out and shower them with gifts. Few said they will spend time with their loved ones and family members.

One view stood out; it was that of a man who expressed indifference about the day, his opinion must have been shaped by his financial situation and the spate of things in the country. “How is one expected to show love when He/She can barely afford three square meals”, he asked?

Is love expressed with money? I muttered. At this point, I found out that the other members of my room were also listening to the radio programme. Yemi queried, BabT (my nickname), don’t you know that love cannot be expressed without money?

He continued, I don’t blame you; as you no get girlfriend how you wan take know (Meaning: My ignorance about the relationship between love, women and money is attributable to the fact that I did not have a girlfriend at that time).

This marked the beginning of an interesting conversation among my roommates. I turned down the volume of my world receiver as we began our own discussion about Valentine day and Love Matters. At this point, I was sitting up in my bed.

My room was a room of eight people. We comprised of four final year students (Bamidele, Nathaniel were Industrial Chemistry undergraduates, Myself – a Mechanical Engineering undergraduate and Rafiu – A Biochemistry finalist). The others were Nonso, Segun, Yemi (all Law undergraudates) and Henry, a foreign student from Benin republic.

In room A42, we lived like one big family, we discuss, argue about different topics but kept love matters private. Feb 13, 2010 night was an exception. Bamidele and Nathaniel were bunk mates and pastors in their different campus fellowships. I directed a question at Pastor Bami, “Tell us about what you think about Valentine’s Day, also, tell us about your babe (girlfriend)”. As was expected, He was quick to reference the bible, taking about AGAPE love (which is the love of Christ). The other members of the room were quick to cut him short.

I continued, pastor Bami, we all know about the love of Christ, tell us about your girlfriend. I do not have a girlfriend was his response. Pastor! Screamed Segun, you and Pastor Nathy will continue to hide under the guise of “pastorship”, brothers and sisters in the Lord. You had better confess your love for the sister you love before it is too late. That was Segun’s candid advice to the pastors. An outburst of laughter greeted his admonition.

By now, Yemi had assumed the position of moderator. He continued with the questioning. We all took turn to express our views about Valentine’s Day, Love and Love life (for those who were in a relationship). Mr. Moderator (Yemi) was the last man to speak; his account was the peak of the discussion.

Before I share his view, let me give you an insight to Yemi’s personality. He has a soft spot for ladies; many times he argues that their existence makes the world beautiful and makes life worthwhile. Also, he has a sweet tongue and a charming personality among ladies.

On one occasion at the school library, 3 of his girlfriends were present. He was fortunate to have them on separate floors of the 3 Storey – Library complex. That’s how “smart” Yemi can be with babes.

On the door of his wardrobe is a list of his girlfriends (Not their real names). At that time they numbered 15, (a complete football team with 3 reserves). He coded their names with footballers’ name. The list looked like this

1. Peter Cech

2. Ferdinard

3 Cole

4 .Mikel Obi

10. Fabregas

9. Neymar etc

He had a deep affection for Fabregas. He calls her the Captain of his team. On several occasion continue reading http://knowbase.appswheel.com/2010-valentine-day-reminiscence-a-walk-through-love-street/
Re: 2010 Valentine Day Reminiscence: A Walk Through Love Street by Appswheel(m): 1:58pm On Oct 17, 2013
This is a continuation and concluding part of a blog opera earlier published on October 10, 2013 continue if you have read the first part. otherwise read it here http://knowbase.appswheel.com/2010-valentine-day-reminiscence-a-walk-through-love-street/

SHORT STORY: A WALK THROUGH LOVE STREET – Series 2.
At the end of his account, Psts. Bami and Nathy were quick to quote some bible verses that strongly condemned immorality and indecent behaviours. They encouraged Yemi to strive towards overcoming his obsession about women.

Yemi thanked them for their words of exhortation and added that it will soon be 12am; he requested to use Pst. Nathys bible. I was amazed at his instant repentance only to find out he was studying the Songs of Solomon to get inspiration for Love text message for his girlfriends. He maintained that he must be the first person to send them a Val message.

The room was silent now; everyone seemed to be composing their Val message – the pastors not left out. Rafiu teased jokingly at Bami and Nathy by asking what the content of their text message was. Nonso was on hand to sweeten the joke; he added that they must be composing Val prayer for their fellowship members.

I was not left out in the Val text message composition. I have a habit of composing a minimum of two text messages on special days like Independence Day, Valentine’s Day; one for the elderly people on my contact list, the other for my peers.

Sleep began to take the better of me, I lost grip of my phone – the crashing sound brought me to my consciousness. I put off my world receiver and laid down to sleep.

No sooner than I closed my eyes to sleep (It seemed); it was day break. I attributed it to a longer day, shorter night occurrence. I made for the bathroom, freshened up and got dressed in a black chinos trouser, and a white top with red patterns.

My schedule was to spend the day with my guardian’s family. He lived in Pipeline area of Kwara State. There is no direct Cab to Pipeline from the University Bus Stop. The shortest route is to take a cab to a part of town named Tipper Garage, and then board another cab to Pipeline.

After alighting from the cab (at Tipper garage), I crossed to the other side of the road towards Pipeline bus stop. As I approached the bus stop, party songs reached my ears, a sign that Valentine celebrations had begun in some parts of town. My eyes synced with my ears to locate the source of the music. It was about a kilometer away from the bus stop. I walked past the bus stop: heading towards the party ground.

Coincidentally, the Street was named Love Street. The party held in a big event hall; a gathering of young boys and girls. One message was clear, no entry for persons not accompanied by the opposite sex. I observed one –to – one mapping of boys to girls. continue reading http://knowbase.appswheel.com/short-story-a-walk-through-love-street-series-2/

(1) (Reply)

Movie Script / Damsel's Test 2 / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.