Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,303 members, 7,822,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:53 AM

US Judge Tells Man He's Still Legally Dead - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / US Judge Tells Man He's Still Legally Dead (424 Views)

Compare And Contrast These Christmas Wishes And Judge For Yourself.(image) / Security Agencies Flogging Nigerians In Traffic: Legally Right Or Wrong? / How To Legally Buy A Gun In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Judge Tells Man He's Still Legally Dead by infonubia(m): 4:18am On Oct 11, 2013
Please permit me to say...."Wahala dey!" It means there's trouble.

An Ohio man who disappeared decades ago is finding out there's no easy way to come back from the dead.

Donald Miller Jr. went to court this week to ask a county judge to reverse a 1994 ruling that declared him legally dead after he had vanished from his home eight years earlier. But the judge turned down his request, citing a three-year time limit for changing a death ruling.

Hancock County Probate Court Judge Allan Davis called it a "strange, strange situation."

"We've got the obvious here. A man sitting in the courtroom, he appears to be in good health," said Davis, who told Miller the three-year limit was clear.

"I don't know where that leaves you, but you're still deceased as far as the law is concerned," the judge said.

Miller resurfaced about eight years ago and went to court so that he could get a driver's license and reinstate his Social Security number.

His ex-wife had opposed the move, saying she doesn't have the money to repay the Social Security benefits that were paid out to her and the couple's two children after Miller was declared dead.

Robin Miller said her former husband vanished because he owed big child support payments and that the overdue payments had totaled $26,000 by 1994, The (Findlay) Courier reported.

Donald Miller, 61, told the judge that he disappeared in the 1980s because he had lost his job and he was an alcoholic. He lived in Florida and Georgia before returning to Ohio around 2005.

His parents told him about his "death" when he came back to the state, he said.

"It kind of went further than I ever expected it to," Miller said. "I just kind of took off, ended up in different places."

Miller's attorney said he may be able to challenge the Social Security Administration in federal court, but does not have the financial resources to do so.

Where does this leave him? I call this a case of the living dead...

Source
Re: US Judge Tells Man He's Still Legally Dead by Natureboyfk(m): 4:37am On Oct 11, 2013
Strange Indeed
Re: US Judge Tells Man He's Still Legally Dead by infonubia(m): 4:55am On Oct 11, 2013
Natureboyfk: Strange Indeed
for real
Re: US Judge Tells Man He's Still Legally Dead by albacete(m): 6:36am On Oct 11, 2013
sometimes, truth is stranger than fiction.

So the man is free to commit crimes and get away with it cos u can't arrest the deceased.
Re: US Judge Tells Man He's Still Legally Dead by Nobody: 6:37am On Oct 11, 2013
infonubia:
"I don't know where that leaves you, but you're still deceased as far as the law is concerned," the judge said.

That there, is going to hurt.

Man, as if life's troubles were not enough, you get sidelined as "dead" when you're still breathing? shocked
Re: US Judge Tells Man He's Still Legally Dead by Nobody: 11:01am On Oct 11, 2013
My turn:

grin grin grin

This news is comical.
Re: US Judge Tells Man He's Still Legally Dead by infonubia(m): 12:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
albacete: sometimes, truth is stranger than fiction.

So the man is free to commit crimes and get away with it cos u can't arrest the deceased.
Very good point albacete. I bet all law crap will be put aide if this man becomes a criminal.
Re: US Judge Tells Man He's Still Legally Dead by infonubia(m): 12:29pm On Oct 11, 2013
2ndOGA:

That there, is going to hurt.

Man, as if life's troubles were not enough, you get sidelined as "dead" when you're still breathing? shocked
On one hand I feel the man's pain and on the other hand I feel like he brought it on himself. How else can we explain vanishing for so long without any friend or family member having any idea of his whereabouts?

(1) (Reply)

Legal Issues / Suicide Bombers Blow Themselves Up In A Failed Attempt To Blow Up D Super Eagles / Do Your Parent Know U Have A Nick Name?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.