Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,799 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? (2207 Views)

Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? / Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? / The True Sin In The Garden Of Eden: Eve Slept With Satan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 11, 2013
Hey guys, i was going through the thread on " https://www.nairaland.com/1254148/why-idea-god-fraud/11 " by logicboy talking about omniscience and freewill and i was keenly watching how the likes of ihedinobi, stryklimi and some other christians try to explain and like almost all topics on NL, the threads are usually derailed. So I stumbled on a thread where I got these questions and have been able to outline it.

This very issue makes one somewhat skeptical
about the attributes we humans have always
attributed to God, that is, Omnipresence,
Omniscience, Omnipotence, and Omnibenevolence.
Actually, this is the way I see it:
Since God is Omnipresent, He must have been
present at that very spot where Adam and Eve
ate the fruit. So why didn't He stop them?
(Afterall, He's omnipotent).
And since God knew that Adam and Eve would
eat the fruit (He's Omniscient), why did He plant
the tree there in the first place, if He did not want
them to eat out of it?
And let's assume now that He was truly present
there, He knew they would eat the fruit, and He
had the power to stop them, why did He allow
them to go ahead? - Did I hear someone say
freewill?
Good. If truly they ate the fruit out of their
"freewill", God had every power to have stopped
them, and that would have saved the world from
all manners of evil we see today, since it is
believed that it was through this act of Adam and
Eve that sin entered the world.
But since He did not stop them, does that mean
He purposely left them, even though He was
present there, knew beforehand
that they would eat the forbidden fruit, and also had the power to
stop them? If that is the case, why then punish
and curse them for what He allowed to happen?
(Looking at it from a rational point of view, He
actually allowed it). Why on earth will an
Omnibenevolent God punish anyone and send
them to hellfire for doing something bad,
supposedly done out of the "freewill" He gave
them (which they didn't even ask for), knowing
fully well
that they will misuse it eventually?

Is anyone following me at all? Yes, I know
The biggest question is how to solve this puzzle without arriving at the answer "You can't question the ways of god" which seems to me like man is a slave.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 11, 2013
good question
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 11, 2013
everything that us happening on dis earth is for His own glory... He is unquestionably God.....

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by nedu2000(m): 9:57am On Oct 11, 2013
Let's try and follow it logically,remember ''I don't know" & "I choose not to know",let's say God chose not to know whether they'll take from the fruit or not,but the right to reason,make choices doesn't dat differentiate us from other less animals?thus the choices we make has to have consequences,its as simple as dat
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 11, 2013
odun4love: everything that us happening on dis earth is for His own glory... He is unquestionably God.....
I ve already mentioned this in the op.
But don't you feel like a slave if you ve got brains but cannot use it TO THINK?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 10:07am On Oct 11, 2013
nedu2000: Let's try and follow it logically,remember ''I don't know" & "I choose not to know",let's say God chose not to know whether they'll take from the fruit or not,but the right to reason,make choices doesn't dat differentiate us from other less animals?thus the choices we make has to have consequences,its as simple as dat
I don't really understand what you are saying, but for the bolded; whats the essence of assumptions. I am speaking with facts and choosing not to know means he does not know what he has choosen not to know...which contradicts omniscience
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 11, 2013
"Looking at it from a rational point of view"
From a rational point of view.........Yahweh made a bet with a leprechaun. A million pots of gold was the prize.
The leprechaun told Yahweh there is no way he could keep a bunch of humans running around n@ked in a garden forever. Yahweh said in his thick Jewish accent, "I am alpha, omega and everything in between, if I want n@ked humans in a garden, I will have n@ked humans in a garden!!!!".
the leprechaun shuffled off and found a co-conspirator. The co-conspirator was one of Yahweh's original worker angels. Rumors in the heavenly realm say that this worker angel used to be Yahweh's "homie, lover, friend". This angel guy was called El Diablo. Yahweh was mad at El Diablo because they had broken up recently.
So El Diablo and the leprechaun decided to get a magic potion called "The Shape shifter" . The magic potion helped El Diablo to "shift". In layman's terms, he turned into a talking snake!!!!!!
I think we all know who won the bet. So next time you see a rainbow, know that there is a pot of gold at the end of it. Yahweh puts the gold there because he is still paying off the bet......with interest.

...from a rational point of view.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
Martian: "Looking at it from a rational point of view"
From a rational point of view.........Yahweh made a bet with a leprechaun. A million pots of gold was the prize.
The leprechaun told Yahweh there is no way he could keep a bunch of humans running around n@ked in a garden forever. Yahweh said in his thick Jewish accent, "I am alpha, omega and everything in between, if I want n@ked humans in a garden, I will have n@ked humans in a garden!!!!".
the leprechaun shuffled off and found a co-conspirator. The co-conspirator was one of Yahweh's original worker angels. Rumors in the heavenly realm say that this worker angel used to be Yahweh's "homie, lover, friend". This angel guy was called El Diablo. Yahweh was mad at El Diablo because they had broken up recently.
So El Diablo and the leprechaun decided to get a magic potion called "The Shape shifter" . The magic potion helped El Diablo to "shift". In layman's terms, he turned into a talking snake!!!!!!
I think we all know who won the bet. So next time you see a rainbow, know that there is a pot of gold at the end of it. Yahweh puts the gold there because he is still paying off the bet......with interest.

...from a rational point of view.
lol
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Kabieosi: 10:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
@ nwuyag

Breezed through your posts, to decide whether it's worth my while picking up your thrown down gauntlet

Some of your posts due to their sensitivities, were read with water in eyes and a heavy heart

Well, to start, it is better this way and/or asking correctly
by changing "Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden?"
to "Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good and Evil In The Garden Of Eden?"

Unlike other trees in the garden,
God actually had a name for this tree, just like the other one, the Tree of Life

For some reasons, the two trees must be important enough to be out-rightly called/given names by God

This is no ordinary tree and moreso the reason for not wanting leave out the importance adjectives Knowledge, Good and Evil which were used to describe the kind of tree it was.

You are right God is Omniscient, God is Omnipotent and God is Omnipresent.

but you are puzzled with
" ...why did He plant the tree there in the first place,
if He did not want them to eat out of it
?"

You are interested in freewill, as you asked "Did I hear someone say freewill?"

but your fascination ends there, as you fail to appreciate, freewill's a mixed blessing

"Good. If truly they ate the fruit out of their
"freewill", God had every power to have stopped them,
and that would have saved the world from
all manners of evil we see today
"

You questioned
"Why on earth will an Omnibenevolent God punish anyone
and send them to hellfire for doing something bad,
supposedly done out of the "freewill"
"

and queried
He gave them (which they didn't even ask for),
knowing fully well that they will misuse it eventually?

and then you dropped what was meant to be a coup de grace
"The biggest question is how to solve this puzzle
without arriving at the answer
"You can't question the ways of god"
which seems to me like man is a slave
"

I'll tell this for nothing,

it is not going to be plain sailing explaining the why(s) because of prerequisites, mental dispositions for reading/understanding the bible, needed responsibilities on your side for grasping or for the ah-ha facepalm light bulb moments etc etc

and will also say, this bit for now, the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the centre of the Garden of Eden alongside the Tree of Life were two very important functions.

Their purpose, particularly the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (i.e. tToKoG&E) was to achieve something else once for all and the last/forever

Can I recommend the Book of Job for you to read?

You aren't an ardent supporter of freewill, so what would your alternative then be?
Curiously, how would you have done things?
What would you have differently done?

We can go further explaining the important adjectives Knowledge, Good and Evil, how possibly is God Omniscient, Omnipotent and Omnipresent in all of this etc etc after you've read the Book of Job

"The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law"
1 Corinthians 15:56 King James Version (KJV)

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
Romans 6:23 King James Version (KJV)

"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"
1 Corinthians 15:26 King James Version (KJV)
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 5:20am On Oct 12, 2013
^^^ what a load of balderash.

try and give a straightforward answer for once. for one who is omnipresent, that doG of yours is the most hidden being ever.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by honeychild(f): 6:02am On Oct 12, 2013
I think the tree of knowledge in the garden served two purposes:

1. A reminder to Adam that his authority on earth was limited. God gave him dominion over everything on earth. He had to remember that he was answerable to the one who made him.

2. It would have given Adam the opportunity to obey God willingly. Thus using his free will in the right way.

We humans tend to under estimate the value of that gift: free will. But that is one of the major things that differentiate us from the animals. It is a gift to be thankful for. It's unfair to blame God because Adam misused it.

Deuteronomy 32:5. They are the ones who have acted corruptly.......the defect is their own.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Kabieosi: 6:17am On Oct 12, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

^^^ what a load of balderash.

try and give a straightforward answer for once. for one who is omnipresent, that doG of yours is the most hidden being ever.

Not rising to the bait

but whoa with the rude interrupt

Barging in that way, like a bull in a china shop,

won't get you the "straightforward answer" you're feigning.

Consider this:

What happens, if someone without first cutting it up into pieces, eats a big birthday cake?

It will be a clumsy way of handling the eating, which ends up with a fine big mess and a cake face

Why don't you back off the effervescent tabs a bit,

because it's giving out too much "efizzy"

making you swagger and cocky
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 6:26am On Oct 12, 2013
It is perfectly clear from scripture that Eve was deceived by the serpent because after eating from the tree..Evil was man's next door neighbor.

Cain killed his brother.Scripture record that death reigned from Adam to Moses.

Jesus Christ broke the curse.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by ooman(m): 6:32am On Oct 12, 2013
^^^the point is that the tree is not supposed to be in the purview of adam and eve if there were not supposed to eat it..what sort of a father puts poison around his child? That's the xtian god, the unthinking yahweh...
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by ooman(m): 6:32am On Oct 12, 2013
Kabieosi:

Not rising to the bait

but whoa with the rude interrupt

Barging in that way, like a bull in a china shop,

won't get you the "straightforward answer" you're feigning.

Consider this:

What happens, if someone without first cutting it up into pieces, eats a big birthday cake?

It will be a clumsy way of handling the eating, which ends up with a fine big mess and a cake face

Why don't you back off the effervescent tabs a bit,

because it's giving out too much "efizzy"

making you swagger and cocky

ok, how does this answer the op?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by ooman(m): 6:34am On Oct 12, 2013
honeychild: I think the tree of knowledge in the garden served two purposes:

1. A reminder to Adam that his authority on earth was limited. God gave him dominion over everything on earth. He had to remember that he was answerable to the one who made him.

2. It would have given Adam the opportunity to obey God willingly. Thus using his free will in the right way.

We humans tend to under estimate the value of that gift: free will. But that is one of the major things that differentiate us free the animals. It is a gift to be thankful for. It's unfair to blame God because Adam misused it.

your dumb god put a tree that they werent supposed to eat, right at the center of the garden and at the same time allowed the devil to trick them into eating it, and that is still adam's fault?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by ooman(m): 6:36am On Oct 12, 2013
Kabieosi: @ nwuyag

Breezed through your posts, to decide whether it's worth my while picking up your thrown down gauntlet

Some of your posts due to their sensitivities, were read with water in eyes and a heavy heart

Well, to start, it is better this way and/or asking correctly
by changing "Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden?"
to "Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge Of Good and Evil In The Garden Of Eden?"

Unlike other trees in the garden,
God actually had a name for this tree, just like the other one, the Tree of Life

For some reasons, the two trees must be important enough to be out-rightly called/given names by God

This is no ordinary tree and moreso the reason for not wanting leave out the importance adjectives Knowledge, Good and Evil which were used to describe the kind of tree it was.

You are right God is Omniscient, God is Omnipotent and God is Omnipresent.

but you are puzzled with
" ...why did He plant the tree there in the first place,
if He did not want them to eat out of it
?"

You are interested in freewill, as you asked "Did I hear someone say freewill?"

but your fascination ends there, as you fail to appreciate, freewill's a mixed blessing

"Good. If truly they ate the fruit out of their
"freewill", God had every power to have stopped them,
and that would have saved the world from
all manners of evil we see today
"

You questioned
"Why on earth will an Omnibenevolent God punish anyone
and send them to hellfire for doing something bad,
supposedly done out of the "freewill"
"

and queried
He gave them (which they didn't even ask for),
knowing fully well that they will misuse it eventually?

and then you dropped what was meant to be a coup de grace
"The biggest question is how to solve this puzzle
without arriving at the answer
"You can't question the ways of god"
which seems to me like man is a slave
"

I'll tell this for nothing,

it is not going to be plain sailing explaining the why(s) because of prerequisites, mental dispositions for reading/understanding the bible, needed responsibilities on your side for grasping or for the ah-ha facepalm light bulb moments etc etc

and will also say, this bit for now, the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil in the centre of the Garden of Eden alongside the Tree of Life were two very important functions.

Their purpose, particularly the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (i.e. tToKoG&E) was to achieve something else once for all and the last/forever

Can I recommend the Book of Job for you to read?

You aren't an ardent supporter of freewill, so what would your alternative then be?
Curiously, how would you have done things?
What would you have differently done?

We can go further explaining the important adjectives Knowledge, Good and Evil, how possibly is God Omniscient, Omnipotent and Omnipresent in all of this etc etc after you've read the Book of Job

"The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law"
1 Corinthians 15:56 King James Version (KJV)

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
Romans 6:23 King James Version (KJV)

"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"
1 Corinthians 15:26 King James Version (KJV)

load of rubbish, as already pointed out...
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Kabieosi: 7:07am On Oct 12, 2013
Bidam:

It is perfectly clear from scripture that Eve was deceived by the serpent because after eating from the tree..Evil was man's next door neighbor.

Cain killed his brother. Scripture record that death reigned from Adam to Moses.

Jesus Christ broke the curse.

EDITED

@Bidam

You need to break it down, cut it up into more pieces, smaller pieces

Slow but steady, laying down precept by precept to regulate the thought(s) and understandings

You need to explain the connection of Death and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil

Need to explain the meaning of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and its parameters or arguments

Also explain
> creativity and it's freedom,
> Explain which came first, Adam or the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil
> Explain why or how the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil came to be
> freewill - testing the proof of the concept and/or the demonstration in principle
> choice - making decisions when faced with two or more possibilities;
this choice is different, as animals have choices too
as in you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink
> Explain why Adam was brought into garden where the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil
> Explain what Knowledge of Good and Evil means
> Explain what the structure of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is or describe its make up
> Explain what the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is
> Explain what the root of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil is
> Explain how possibly, one goes about successfully dealing with sin a problem and/or diseased tree
> Explain what finally happened to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil

The cutting up pieces, list goes on - It is going to be a rough and no easy ride

Anything less will not go down very well with the Alfa Seltzers, the oomans or the nwuyags reading

as they have very little patience to suffer fools gladly so easily get the hump, angry or upset
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 12, 2013
ooman: ^^^the point is that the tree is not supposed to be in the purview of adam and eve if there were not supposed to eat it..what sort of a father puts poison around his child? That's the xtian god, the unthinking yahweh...
Let us use an analogy.

When your earthly father says ooman you can have access to all my things but for now don't RIDE my BIKE cos you might have an accident and die.Does it mean he puts poison or he is wicked?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 12, 2013
odun4love: everything that us happening on dis earth is for His own glory... He is unquestionably God.....
yes, unquestionable god... god that has all the answers but permits no question

op.. u will never get reasonable answer. all u will ever get r just a couple of people beating around the Bush just because they don't want to accept the harsh reality of the fact that what they believed all their lives is nothing but fables, fairytales, folklores, created by some redundant uneducated fellow some years back to entrap them mentally.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 12, 2013
Bidam: Let us use an analogy.

When your earthly father says ooman you can have access to all my things but for now don't RIDE my BIKE cos you might have an accident and die.Does it mean he puts poison or he is wicked?
first, u said Might
.. which gives room to doubts.. If the bike will surely kill him, I bet his dad won't even put it in the house let alone warn him about it.. it's like putting a loaded gun near where children play and ask them not to touch it, what kind of foolish father does that when he knows they will eventually touch it out of curiosity?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 12, 2013
Kabieosi:

@Bidam

You need to break it down, cut it up into more pieces, smaller pieces

Slow but steady, laying down precept by precept regulate the thought and understandings

You need to explain the connection of Death and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil
Ok,death is evil.God said the day you eat of it you shall die.In other words Man was designed by God with immortality in view.My take on that is that the devil lied that the tree could not kill Adam.

Need to explain the meaning of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and its parameters or arguments
God called it tree of knowledge of good and Evil and that is what we know for now and he gave specific instructions for the man not to touch it just the way you give instructions to a child not to touch electricity.Even in your House,there ought be ORDER and a sense of decorum.In God's kingdom, there is that ORDER in creation.
Also explain
> creativity and it's freedom,
A creature is not always free.He is still subject to its creator just like a motor car is subject to the MANUAL of the manufacturer.
> freewill - testing the proof of the concept and/or the demonstration in principle
This is where most christian fail to draw a line.God gave us a freewill,Yes.To choose right or wrong,good or bad,but in that free-will a set of instructions is always given by a creator who knows and understand his creature(product) because He created or manufactured it in the first place.A creature should know the PURPOSE of why it is created, because when the PURPOSE OF A THING IS NOT KNOWN ABUSE IS INEVITABLE.Such was the scenario Adam found himself in.This scenario is played throughout human history.We need to go back to the manufacturer and get the manual to understand ourselves.
> choice - making decisions when faced with two or more possibilities
Answered above.The choices we make,MAKE OR MAR US
> the Root of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil
It is a mystery that only the creator can answer.INIQUITY IS A MYSTERY.GODLINESS IS A MYSTERY
> how to go about successfully dealing with sin a problem tree
The only way out is to believe in the lordship of Jesus Christ.That is the buy-out clause from SIN.
> The pieces, list goes on - It is going to be a rough and no easy ride
Nope it is not,you tend to believe what you believe.The problem with the human race is to try and reason with their intellect and 5ive senses,who God is.The kingdom of God doesn't operate that way.It operates by FAITH.
Anything less will not go down very well with the Alfa Seltzers, the oomans or the nwuyags reading
I am not here to win an argument with anyone but to try and put God's word in the proper CONTEXT and PERSPECTIVE.Our God is a GOOD GOD not a wicked one.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 12, 2013
9jadelta: first, u said Might
Sorry for the use of the grammer,WILL will suffice wink
.. which gives room to doubts.. If the bike will surely kill him, I bet his dad won't even put it in the house let alone warn him about it.. it's like putting a loaded gun near where children play and ask them not to touch it, what kind of foolish father does that when he knows they will eventually touch it out of curiosity?
Your logic is flawed here because Man was created perfect and complete.NOTHING lacking and nothing missing.Even at that a child can still get hold of loaded gun even if the dad hides it.You ofcos know what i mean wink. The principle is that an instruction has already been given.It shows whether the child should obey that instruction or not.Curiosity they say always kills the cat.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Kabieosi: 8:07am On Oct 12, 2013
@Bidam

I have edited or added to my post above

so you might want to revisit it smiley

and mind you, this whole thing is bigger than Adam

It was to be dealt with but Adam had to be sorted out first

Before the dealing with of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil

Adam had to be tested, he was not hung out to dry as another important tree was in the garden

Also on the contrary, Man was not created perfect as you claimed

Example: the cooked stew was all good and very tasty, although the tomatoes added were a bit dodgy

Also mind you, ". . . And God saw that it was good" was used 6 times before Genesis 1:31 below, about everything as a whole made or created
(i.e. Genesis 1:4, Genesis 1:10, Genesis 1:12, Genesis 1:18, Genesis 1:21 and Genesis 1:25)

This speaks volume if none for Adam, no mention that it was good concerning Adam

Alarm bell ringing, hmm maybe God, who only is Good and been Omniscient knew something.

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.
And the evening and the morning were the sixth day

Genesis 1:31 KJV
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 12, 2013
Bidam: Sorry for the use of the grammer,WILL will suffice wink
Your logic is flawed here because Man was created perfect and complete.NOTHING lacking and nothing missing.Even at that a child can still get hold of loaded gun even if the dad hides it.You ofcos know what i mean wink. The principle is that an instruction has already been given.It shows whether the child should obey that instruction or not.Curiosity they say always kills the cat.
lol, it's ur explanation that is totally flawed...
firstly, humans ,"were not created to be flawless"
if god created man to be flawless and there are many flaws after, that is god's mistake not what he created.
2ndly,
let's look at it this way, ur father knws before he bought a gun that the gun would kill u or if it doesnt kill u, it would hurt u. he went ahead and bought it anyway. later u hurt yourself with the same gun he bought (don't forget ur father knows that it would happen before it happens) and later punished you brutally for the thing he knows u would do. he didn't punish only you for hurting urself, he punished ur unborn children's forever.
1. what kind of father does that? a loving caring father or a murderous, wicked SOB
2. if u have that kind of father, can you worship him?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Alwaystrue(f): 9:50am On Oct 12, 2013
@OP,
First and foremost, no one can question the Creator on why He created His creations. We all create/innovate things too and do as we wish with it as well but besides all this, He created us in His Image and after His likeness and part of this likeness is a right to CHOOSE. (Isaiah 41:9, Psalm 135:4 and a host other verses that shows God choses as well). So ultimately God knows why He did it but man can only speculate or have an idea why.

Now, man was made a little lower than the angels (Psalm 8:5) even though he was created in the image of God and after His likeness....He was not really like God as God affirmed in Genesis 3:22; and one thing we know the angels have is long life and knowledge of good and evil (as how else would satan have tried to be like God yet he did not die and is still existing till now). So it could be angels were created with both ability to 'live forever' and also have knowledge of good and evil.

So it is possible to avoid another 'devil case', the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was placed in the middle of Eden to keep man in INNOCENCE just like a newborn child is innocent IF he did not eat of that tree. Also the tree of life also in the middle of Eden was to make man live forever but this may have been possibly briefly nullified as soon as he eats from the tree of good and evil UNTIL he again eats of the tree of life which the Lord had to quickly put a cherubim to guard that tree of life after they had fallen so they do not live forever (Genesis 3:22).

In conclusion, I think man was created with a CHOICE to be able to be like gods (Genesis 3:5) and live forever (Genesis 3:22) depending on the choice of what tree they ate from. This being different from how God seemingly created the 'others' incorporating both forms of 'virtues' into them from the onset.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by noblefada: 10:12am On Oct 12, 2013
A very interesting topic, and I don't know if the OP is a believer looking for genuine answers n going thru the thread with I see the regular atheists just here to mock, I'll rather pass and let them continue in their ignorance but so far no one has been able to give a clear explanation, what I'll just say is that the tree was not a physical tree but a presentation of choices
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 12, 2013
Kabieosi: @Bidam

I have edited or added to my post above

so you might want to revisit it smiley

and mind you, this whole thing is bigger than Adam

It was to be dealt with but Adam had to be sorted out first

Before the dealing with of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil

Adam had to be tested, he was not hung out to dry as another important tree was in the garden

Also on the contrary, Man was not created perfect as you claimed

Example: the cooked stew was all good and very tasty, although the tomatoes added were a bit dodgy

Also mind you, ". . . And God saw that it was good" was used 6 times before Genesis 1:31 below, about everything as a whole made or created
(i.e. Genesis 1:4, Genesis 1:10, Genesis 1:12, Genesis 1:18, Genesis 1:21 and Genesis 1:25)

This speaks volume if none for Adam, no mention that it was good concerning Adam

Alarm bell ringing, hmm maybe God, who only is Good and being Omniscient knew something.

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.
And the evening and the morning were the sixth day

Genesis 1:31 KJV
You fail to add that God created Adam in HIS IMAGE. In your words God has flaws..I am not arguing this issue further.It is a waste of my time really.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by noblefada: 10:17am On Oct 12, 2013
Alwaystrue: @OP,
First and foremost, no one can question the Creator on why He created His creations. We all create/innovate things too and do as we wish with it as well but besides all this, He created us in His Image and after His likeness and part of this likeness is a right to CHOOSE. (Isaiah 41:9, Psalm 135:4 and a host other verses that shows God choses as well). So ultimately God knows why He did it but man can only speculate or have an idea why.

Now, man was made a little lower than the angels (Psalm 8:5) even though he was created in the image of God and after His likeness....He was not really like God as God affirmed in Genesis 3:22; and one thing we know the angels have is long life and knowledge of good and evil (as how else would satan have tried to be like God yet he did not die and is still existing till now). So it could be angels were created with both ability to 'live forever' and also have knowledge of good and evil.

So it is possible to avoid another 'devil case', the tree of the knowledge of good and evil was placed in the middle of Eden to keep man in INNOCENCE just like a newborn child is innocent IF he did not eat of that tree. Also the tree of life also in the middle of Eden was to make man live forever but this may have been possibly briefly nullified as soon as he eats from the tree of good and evil UNTIL he again eats of the tree of life again which the Lord had to quickly put a cherubim to guard that tree of life after they had fallen so they do not live forever (Genesis 3:22).

In conclusion, I think man was created with a CHOICE to be able to be like gods (Genesis 3:5) and live forever (Genesis 3:22) depending on the choice of what tree they ate from. This being different from how God seemingly created the 'others' incorporating both from 'virtues' into them from the onset.
kudos, u really have an idea but not completely though. let me add this to explanation of angels, they're spiritual beings and therefore were created to live forever, but they didn't know the difference btw good n evil until after Adam had ate the fruit.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by ooman(m): 10:18am On Oct 12, 2013
Bidam: Let us use an analogy.

ok, according to your analogy, what if he starts the bike, puts me on it, then forgot something inside, and then told me to not touch the pedal.... but as he takes long, a very subtle Bidam came to me and tricked me into pressing the pedal.... and there was a crash, am i to blame, or Bidam the devil, or my careless yahweh father, who put an inexperienced child with a started bike, and allowed a trickster in his compound?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 12, 2013
Hey guys,
was away for sometime, but it seems like people are giving different opinions here without reading the op.
Let me put the reminder;
[omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent]. Besides, I think there is a sensitive trick between omniscience and free will and I think I have found a perfect illustrwtion to that which I will post later
Nevertheless, let's try putting that([]) in the explanations without contradicting their definitions.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden? by Kabieosi: 12:45pm On Oct 12, 2013
Bidam:

You fail to add that God created Adam in HIS IMAGE. In your words God has flaws

I am not arguing this issue further.It is a waste of my time really.

You should know better not to make flippant remarks

Image is just a representation of something else

It has nothing to do with perfection or flawlessness

I wasn't going to rush this

but hey it's seems I've got post this and scram as it'll be my last post on the matter

Well the OP's question was "Why Did God Put The Tree In The Garden Of Eden?"

Everyone knows a tree when they see one,

but asking someone to precisely describe what the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is, can be tricky

It is a tree with a root system that is supported by a woody trunk

The root system is made up of the law

The woody trunk is made up of sin

The foliage has fruits can be eaten as food but is death as was warned about

A specialist in the care and maintenance of trees will tell you that

a tree will only be as strong as its roots

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is no different

as it is as strong as the law

To understand what "Knowledge of Good and Evil" means

one needs to know what merism is - I'll leave it for your investigation

Transgression of the law is sin

Sin feeds off the law

Sin was already in the world before Adam was placed in the garden

The evidence is the presence of the tree in garden before Adam was moved in

It will be criminal to stop God from exercising His creativity right because of the tree

so God let the tree be and went ahead creating Adam

The tree has a problem, it is poisonous with sin and death

Where is the power of tree, what is the root cause? - In the law, it is The law

The problem tree needs to be uprooted from the source and dealt with once, for all and forever

Before this can happen though Adam's freewill needs to be tested unless he wants to be a robot

What is the point of having freewill and choice, if it would not be exercised

When the freewill is activated depending on the decision/choice selected,
passes an argument which calls the life or death function

Some scripting or programming knowledge or background helps to understand these parts

I've skipped a lot of details in between and up to here

The final ultimate aim is to have a sin free world

and this was achieved when the Knowledge of Good and Evil was no more

"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."
- Rev 21:4

and

In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations
- Rev 22:2

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prophet T B Joshua Prophecy Fulfilment For Year 2014 / The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God / Christianity Is Not The True Religion, Its Satanic!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.