Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,824 members, 7,956,114 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:44 AM

The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir (13888 Views)

How Kabir Grabbed A Man’s Testicle To Survive Hajj Stampede. Vanguard News / The Moon Has Been Sighted, Sunday, July 27, 2014 is Eid-Ul-Fitr / Eid Ul Fitri: Barka Da Sallah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by maclatunji: 11:51am On Oct 11, 2013
The significance of Id Al-Kabir

In the Name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful.

“…Thus We have subjected these animals to you so that you may be grateful. It is neither their meat nor their blood that reaches Him but your piety”- (Q22: 36-37)

THE ‘Id al-Kabir is the great festival. It is great because of the merger which it evolves between the profane and the sacred. This is a festival which predates Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W); it is a festival instituted by the Almighty through the agency of Prophet Ibrahim and Ismail (upon them be peace and blessings of Allah).

Here goes the story, the story of faith and the faithful. He started out as a believer; a lonely believer in the Almighty at a time humanity chose to disbelieve in Him. He started out by asking his mother who his Creator and God was. His mother told him it was his father, Azar.

Prophet Ibrahim was not contented. The notion that his father was his god appeared jejune to him. So he asked his mother once again who was the Creator of his father? His mother told him it was Nimrod, the emperor, the king of the time.

“If Nimrod is the god of my father, who was his own creator?” Nobody could provide a categorical answer. But Prophet Ibrahim knew the answer. He knew that his Creator is neither a human being nor a Jinn. He knew his Creator had no beginning and no end. He knew that his Creator is both undated and beyond spatial limitations. He knew that his Creator is He who fashioned and created the cosmos out of nothing.

Thus he chose to believe in Him. He chose to believe in the Almighty. But to believe in the Almighty is to make a difficult but extremely rewarding choice. To believe in the Almighty at a time humanity had turned apostate is to run the risk of oppression and humiliation. Thus he was tormented and punished by the idolatrous community in which he was born. But he knew that adversity is a precondition or prerequisite for posterity, not the other way round. He knew he would win but he had to endure tribulation. Thus he was thrown into a burning fire but the power to burn was taken away from the latter by the Almighty.

He, therefore, emerged from the inferno unscathed. By coming out of the fire unhurt, Prophet Ibrahim became an eternal model for all pretenders to faith. He became an exemplar in our on-going battle against earthly principalities. Brethren, when someone proposes to oppress, torment and subject you to untold suffering, the Id al-Kabir takes place every year to remind you of the emptiness of that threat once you stand for and with your Creator.

Brethren, let us quickly fast forward to the family established by Prophet Ibrahim, a family of faith, piety and perseverance. He was the patriarch, Sarah was the wife, the extremely contented and humble mother of Ishaq, from whose womb the Jews emerged. Hajar was also the other wife, mother of Ismail from whose womb Ismail emerged. Prophet Ibrahim’s family featured a man, two women and two sons all of whom were individually destined to impact human history in extremely dissimilar and similar ways. In other words, every action of these characters, while they were on earth, was destined to be a signifier. They were all involved in creating history without actually knowing it; they ‘transacted’ spiritual-mundane businesses which eventually became models till eternity.

For example dear brethren, Prophet Ibrahim dreamt he offered his son, Prophet Ismail, as sacrifice to the Almighty. He proceeded to inform him of what he saw and the latter, without hesitation, encouraged his father to carry out the Divine inspiration without prevarication. Why was Prophet Ibrahim blessed with such a child who was ready to travel with him in the wilderness of spirituality? Why was he blessed with such a faithful child? My teachers suggested it was pay-back-time for him. Yes. Prophet Ibrahim was equally dutiful to his parents; the Almighty therefore would not and could not have blessed him with another son other than a lovely and dutiful one. My brother where and how is your father today? Pause a moment and ask yourself: where and how is your mama now?

Thus in that lonely desert that day, father and son got together to do what the father deemed to be the bidding of the Almighty. He wanted to sacrifice his son; the son wanted to offer himself to the Almighty. Father desired to please the Almighty; the son wanted to curry the favour of the Owner of the heavens and earth. Meanwhile the mother of the son, Hajar, occupied a lonely space. In silence, she bore the pain of the inevitable loss of her son. In silence, she opened up her hearts to the Almighty.

Ismail was the only fruit of her womb. She had hoped he would be alive to take of care of her tomb. But there she was, all alone, as she submitted her desires and aspirations to the Almighty, the owner of her womb and tomb. She knew He was there watching over her son as he went through the most painful experience in submission and devotion.

Brethren, Id al-Kabir is around to remind us, once again, of how the Almighty usually intervenes to turn a situation of hopelessness to that of hope and happiness. Prophet Ibrahim was told: “You have indeed affirmed the dream” and consequently a beautiful ram was given to him as ransom for his son. Thus sacrifice became not an end in itself but a means towards a nobler end: an end to the sacrifice of humans in history, an end to the ascension of pernicious authorities in humans which usually make them go against the Will of the Almighty, an end to greed, self-conceit and inane glorification of the ephemeral and not the eternal.

Sacrifice of animals on this day reminds the servants of the Almighty of their utter weakness in relation to every entity in the universe. Were it not for the WILL and favour of the Almighty, how could we by ourselves control and exert our authority over these sacrificial lambs?

Thus, on this hallowed day, prepare to observe the Sunnah of our leader. Take a bath before Fajr prayers and put on new clothes (or the best available). It is Sunnah for men to use perfume, not only on Id days, but always.

Observe fasting while going to the praying ground. Set out early. Stop on the way to offer seats in your car to your brethren. Do not wait to be asked before you offer such assistance. In low voice, say the glorification of the Almighty. Remember Id al-Kabir signifies our arrival for a religious duty; it also signals our constant departure to walk with our Creator.

Somebody asked me “who knows tomorrow?” A brother intervened and said, “nobody does”.” But who owns tomorrow?” he queried again. “It is the Almighty.” We all chorused. May He who knows and owns tomorrow dispel our sorrow and lead us out of this tunnel to under-performance and pettiness.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/friday-worship/135202-the-significance-of-id-al-kabir-

7 Likes

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by deols(f): 12:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
There is no proof from tafsir nor ahadith of the prophet relating the sacrifice of prophet Ibrahim(A.S) to the one we carry out at eid period. If you have the proof, do provide it. If not, this is wrong and a misinformation.

and the right nomenclature is Eid ul Adha and not eid ul Kabir.

The command to sacrifice is in suratul Kawthar(108) : 2

and it says nothing in relation with prophet Ibrahim's sacrifice.

3 Likes

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by maclatunji: 12:39pm On Oct 11, 2013
deols: There is no proof from tafsir nor ahadith of the prophet relating the sacrifice of prophet Ibrahim(A.S) to the one we carry out at eid period. If you have the proof, do provide it. If not, this is wrong and a misinformation.

I did not write the piece only shared it. To be honest, I have not read it in full detail. You will find the author's phone number if you visit the link. You can send him a message on the issues you have raised.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by maclatunji: 12:51pm On Oct 11, 2013
I have now read the article in full. Nothing to lose my hair over in it. Eid ul Kabir has become synonymous with Eid ul Adha. I don't see how I should fight over it.

As for any other objections you may have here on Nairaland, bring something better if the author's effort doesn't please you. At least his article has led to this thread.

By the way, I am interested in the tafsir of Suratul Kauthar you have. You can post links.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by deols(f): 1:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
Sharing something on Islam that you can not defend nor ready to take corrections for is not a good thing. You have hidden many threads on the same premise.

Anyone who gets misinformed through it, you will get the sins for.

In your shoes, I'd have the post hidden. I only played my part as a Muslim to point the errors.

You can go ahead as you wish.

3 Likes

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by maclatunji: 1:11pm On Oct 11, 2013
deols: Sharing something on Islam that you can not defend nor ready to take corrections for is not a good thing. You have hidden many threads on the same premise.

Anyone who gets misinformed through it, you will get the sins for.

Any objection on nairaland and to bring something else forth as if this is a competition of who can and must make the most posts? Oh God! that is just childish.so your intent was to post anyways? whether it makes Islamic sense or not? shocked astaghfirullah!!

In your shoes, I'd have the post hidden. I only played my part as a Muslim to point the errors.

You can go ahead as you wish.

Are you done with all that? Now, post knowledge, not just make an emotional outburst.

More information on the topic http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=651
Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by tbaba1234: 1:16pm On Oct 11, 2013
deols: There is no proof from tafsir nor ahadith of the prophet relating the sacrifice of prophet Ibrahim(A.S) to the one we carry out at eid period. If you have the proof, do provide it. If not, this is wrong and a misinformation.

The hajj and eid ul adha are all related to the life of Ibrahim ( alayhi Salam).

I am surprised to read this comment.

2 Likes

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by deols(f): 1:18pm On Oct 11, 2013
I already made my point. Post the proof you have on here. If it was not a matter of misinforming others, I would not have posted a comment.

Even if someone says it on a site, they will have to show their proof from the tafsir or hadith. without that, they are wrong.

Why would a site matter when anybody can have a blog and post on it.

I have made my point and that would be it.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by maclatunji: 1:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
deols: I already made my point. Post the proof you have on here. If it was not a matter of misinforming others, I would not have posted a comment.

Even if someone says it on a site, they will have to show their proof from the tafsir or hadith. without that, they are wrong.

Why would a site matter when anybody can have a blog and post on it.

I have made my point and that would be it.

Actually, the onus is on you to prove it wrong.
Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by deols(f): 1:21pm On Oct 11, 2013
tbaba1234:

The hajj and eid ul adha are all related to the life of Ibrahim ( alayhi Salam).

I expect many people to say that. But give the proof that the prophet says that the sacrifice is in commemoration of what prophet Ibrahim did.

You do know how the Qur'an is interpreted.

Qur'an with the qur'an

or the qur'an with an hadith.

when it is proven, I'll just accept.

#verysimple.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by deols(f): 1:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
maclatunji:

Actually, the onus is on you to prove it wrong.

When you say that something is in Islam, it is for you to prove right.

when you say that something is forbidden, it is for you to prove right.

You can't ask me to prove that something is not in Islam from the books of Islam.

The prophet could not have said, 'In case people claim that killing a ram is because prophet Ibrahim did it, prove them wrong that it isnt'

But he could have said that

'this sacrifice is because P. Ibrahim did it. So, to prove it is yours to do.

and btw, it sounds somehow to post things you don't know about/ agree with and to keep arguing without a single proof is worse.

Well, this is my last post on this. At least until the message is proven right.
Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by tbaba1234: 3:05pm On Oct 11, 2013
I. Surah al kauthar has nothing to do with eid ul adha. It was revealed after the prophet lost his son Qassim. It is totally unrelated.

Ii. Eid ul adha marks the end of the hajj season. The activities of the hajj are a fulfillment of the dua of Ibrahim.

We showed Abraham the site of the House, saying, ‘Do not assign partners to Me. Purify My House for those who circle around it, those who stand to pray, and those who bow and prostrate themselves. Proclaim the Pilgrimage to all people. They will come to you on foot and on every kind of swift mount, emerging from every deep mountain pass to attain benefits and celebrate God’s name, on specified days, over the livestock He has provided for them––feed yourselves and the poor and unfortunate Surah 22 : 26-27

The whole activities of the hajj are modelled after his life. The run from safa and marwa (hagar's struggle to find water for her child), the sacrifice of the lamb (Abraham's sacrifice of his son), the stoning of the pillars (the place where Abraham was tempted)..everything is about events in his life and the rites given to him. Even the ancient arabs did hajj even though they had corrupted some practises.

I am surprised that this has to be explained because this whole period is about reflecting on his sacrifices.

I'd write a thread about this soon.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by maclatunji: 3:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
^Obviously, it has to be explained.

Wikipedia has a lovely compilation on Eid ul Adha http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_ul_adha

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by maclatunji: 3:30pm On Oct 11, 2013
deols:

I expect many people to say that. But give the proof that the prophet says that the sacrifice is in commemoration of what prophet Ibrahim did.

You do know how the Qur'an is interpreted.

Qur'an with the qur'an

or the qur'an with an hadith.

when it is proven, I'll just accept.

#verysimple.

Your acceptance or rejection should be a big deal to us because?
Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by deols(f): 4:07pm On Oct 11, 2013
that does it then. thank you

tbaba1234: I. Surah al kauthar has nothing to do with eid ul adha. It was revealed after the prophet lost his son Qassim. It is totally unrelated.

Ii. Eid ul adha marks the end of the hajj season. The activities of the hajj are a fulfillment of the dua of Ibrahim.

We showed Abraham the site of the House, saying, ‘Do not assign partners to Me. Purify My House for those who circle around it, those who stand to pray, and those who bow and prostrate themselves. Proclaim the Pilgrimage to all people. They will come to you on foot and on every kind of swift mount, emerging from every deep mountain pass to attain benefits and celebrate God’s name, on specified days, over the livestock He has provided for them––feed yourselves and the poor and unfortunate Surah 22 : 26-27

The whole activities of the hajj are modelled after his life. The run from safa and marwa (hagar's struggle to find water for her child), the sacrifice of the lamb (Abraham's sacrifice of his son), the stoning of the pillars (the place where Abraham was tempted)..everything is about events in his life and the rites given to him. Even the ancient arabs did hajj even though they had corrupted some practises.

I am surprised that this has to be explained because this whole period is about reflecting on his sacrifices.

I'd write a thread about this soon.
Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by FindOut(m): 6:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
tbaba1234:

Very surprised as well. Thanks for clarifying in your subsequent posts. I hope Deols (& any other muslim sharing those views) has now been rightly informed.

Eid mubarak in advance to everyone.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by deols(f): 6:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
Find Out!:

Very surprised as well. Thanks for clarifying in your subsequent posts. I hope Deols (& any other muslim sharing those views) has now been rightly informed.

Eid mubarak in advance to everyone.

I hope so too
Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by Sissie(f): 8:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
maclatunji: I have now read the article in full. Nothing to lose my hair over in it. Eid ul Kabir has become synonymous with Eid ul Adha. I don't see how I should fight over it.

As for any other objections you may have here on Nairaland, bring something better if the author's effort doesn't please you. At least his article has led to this thread.

By the way, I am interested in the tafsir of Suratul Kauthar you have. You can post links.

Eid ul kabir has become synonymous, but it's completely wrong, and it's right name should be used. Use its proper name.EID ul ADHA.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by tbaba1234: 8:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
Sissie:

Eid ul kabir has become synonymous, but it's completely wrong, and it's right name should be used. Use its proper name.EID ul ADHA.

Do you call your hijab, khimar? The proper name is khimar. That is what is used in the Quran. Hijab has become synonymous with the woman's clothing.

There are probably many other examples

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by deols(f): 8:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
tbaba1234:

Do you call your hijab, khimar? The proper name is khimar. That is what is used in the Quran. Hijab has become synonymous with the woman's clothing.

Then the meaning would have to be put into consideration. What does Eid ul kabir mean?

would it be acceptable to say that an eid is kabir and the other saghir?

I would need a proof to accept that grin

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by Sissie(f): 8:45pm On Oct 11, 2013
tbaba1234:

What does hijab mean?. What does khimar mean? Can either be used?

What does eid ul adha means? What does eid ul kabir mean? Where's the prove eid ul adha is thé big sallah and eid ul fitri is small? What makes one big and the other small? What is thé origin of the name eid ul kabir?
Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by maclatunji: 9:22pm On Oct 11, 2013
Sissie:

Sissie is not even your name my dear sister but you use it here. I am not against calling Eid ul Adha at all but let me tell you why I used it here.

I copied an article, right? The author used "Id al Kabir" and I decided that using Eid ul Adha as the title here might cause confusion for many of our readers.

I knew other people might raise Adha but at least there would not be initial confusion for some of our readers. It is not something to "spar" over.

Remember that Abu Hurrairah isn't actually Abu Hurrairah.

If it will make you feel better, I will call Eid ul Adha when it won't cause confusion. cheesy tongue grin

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by tbaba1234: 10:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
Sissie:
What does hijab mean?. What does khimar mean? Can either be used?

What does eid ul adha means? What does eid ul kabir mean? Where's the prove eid ul adha is thé big sallah and eid ul fitri is small? What makes one big and the other small? What is thé origin of the name eid ul kabir?

Khimar means any covering of a thing or by which a thing is veiled or covered...

Hijab means a screen or a curtain.

Can either be used? From the above it seems hijab has a fairly limited meaning compared to a khimar. Anything that covers is a khimar. Hijab can be a khimar but they are not the same thing as khimar carries a broader meaning. Besides the Quran uses Khimar not Hijab.

At the end of the day, the use of Hijab is just a cultural adaptation just like Eid ul kabir (The bigger Eid).

Eid ul adha is usually a bigger celebration than Eid ul fitri because there is more meat/food, hence the cultural adaptation Eid ul kabir.There is no evidence for it just like there is none for using hijab instead of Khimar.

If we begin to use all proper terms, that will be great but it is unlikely. There are many other names for Eid ul adha depending on the cultural setting.

1 Like

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by ehmasjet(m): 8:41am On Oct 15, 2013
Hmmm...ok ooo
Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by Tuntheycr7: 8:42am On Oct 15, 2013
Gud
Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by Judolisco(m): 8:45am On Oct 15, 2013
Owk happy sallah,dats all
Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by jaybee3(m): 8:48am On Oct 15, 2013
scientology: JESUS is the final sacrifice for mankind...NO NOTHER SACRFICE CAN BE MADE except that of the slained SON OF GOD.....U HIDE THIS POST U WILL BE CURSED
Why can't you guys just let people be for crying out loud?

Do you and let others do whatsoever pleases them.

It's a free world and everyone is entitled to own choice

3 Likes

Re: The Significance Of Eid Ul Kabir by bcomputer101: 8:53am On Oct 15, 2013
EID MUBARAK Allihamdulilah لَبَّيْك اللَّهُمَّ لَبَّيْكَ لَبَّيْكَ لَا شَرِيكَ لَكَ لَبَّيْكَ إِنَّ الْحَمْدَ وَالنِّعْمَةَ لَكَ وَالْمُلْكَ لَا شَ...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EID Celebration Around The World: (picx) / How To Overcome Sexual Temptation In Ramadan / To My Muslim Brothers: Don't Drink The New Fanta Apple!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.